• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Hey, I see the logical idea of it. However, this is Japanese bias here. Of course Japanese will get favored more. Plus, the other issue is... at least the Japanese exclusive characters were popular. Mike Jones isn't really popular or well-known, and on that note, they haven't really done a "Retro" Japanese-exclusive, either.

I think it probably at least helped to get people interested.
They could use Lip. And I said that it helped get people interested.
Barely? It helped with getting people interested in the characters who helped with the series
I said that. But the fans didn't bring it over. Nintendo did because of the sales of Advance Wars. They believed that since Advance Wars did better than they expected (why did Japan think we were all idiots back then) they had faith in FE.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
They could use Lip. And I said that it helped get people interested.

I said that. But the fans didn't bring it over. Nintendo did because of the sales of Advance Wars. They believed that since Advance Wars did better than they expected (why did Japan think we were all idiots back then) they had faith in FE.
Judging by how America's police is compared to Japan's it's not too hard to imagine why. Before you say that was recent, Japan has advanced technology and looked into the future!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Or the fact that Capcom has been just crapping on the fans with the franchise. Cancelling Megaman Legends 3 becauese the 3DS was going to be a flop... just like Nintendo's very bad history of handhelds, right?

His big anniversary release? Megaman vs Street Fighter? IT WAS A FAN GAME THAT CAPCOM BOUGHT OUT AND SOLD. THEY COULDN'T BE BOTHERED TO MAKE THEIR OWN ANNIVERSARY GAME.
What the heck?!? They should have at least made another Mega Man anniversary collection. It wouldn't be that hard.
Judging by how America's police is compared to Japan's it's not too hard to imagine why. Before you say that was recent, Japan has advanced technology and looked into the future!
They have a Monado!?! Cool! :p

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Do you guys think that the Melee 8 (:peachmelee::bowsermelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee:) (Melee 9 if the :icsmelee: return as DLC) are just as secure as the Original 12 (:luigi64::mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::falcon64::ness64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::jigglypuff64:)? IMO, being a newcomer in Melee and returning in Brawl pretty much guarantees that the character will never be cut from the game. The IC's were the only exception to this given the circumstances of the 3DS limitations.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Do you guys think that the Melee 8 (:peachmelee::bowsermelee::ganondorfmelee::falcomelee::zeldamelee::sheikmelee::gawmelee::marthmelee:) (Melee 9 if the :icsmelee: return as DLC) are just as secure as the Original 12 (:luigi64::mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::falcon64::ness64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::jigglypuff64:)? IMO, being a newcomer in Melee and returning in Brawl pretty much guarantees that the character will never be cut from the game. The IC's were the only exception to this given the circumstances of the 3DS limitations.
When we look to Smash 5, here are the characters I say are locks as veterans
:dk64::falcon64::fox64::jigglypuff64::kirby64::link64::luigi64::mario64::ness64::pikachu64::samus64::yoshi64:
:bowsermelee::falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::icsmelee::marthmelee::mewtwomelee::gawmelee::peachmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee:
:charizard::dedede::diddy::ike::lucario::olimar::pit::rob::sonic::warioc::zerosuitsamus:
:4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4pacman::4palutena::4robinm::rosalina::4shulk::4villager::4wiifit: Also why is Pacman the only case where he isn't alphabetically organized, barring the alternate costumes?

Who does this leave to debate, for veterans?
:drmario::roymelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee: - They were cut once, the two that WERE planned for a return are now in but they made be quite low priority next time around.
:lucas::wolf::squirtle::ivysaur::snake: - Lucas & Wolf are above Doc & Roy for hopes but are in the same kind of position. Ivy & Squirtle are likely gone as relics of the past and Snake seems less and less likely for a return with each piece of news we get about his company and maker.
:4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4megaman: (Ryu) - Dark Pit & Lucina are the Clones For Cut. Capcom is.... a bit more questionable for what may happen in comparison to Namco for Pac-Man and Sonic's only become chummier with Nintendo since Brawl. Mii Fighters I question may be redone into another idea for Miis since they are generic "build a fighter" characters. Greninja... is just an odd feeling because of how we've seen unique Pokemon cut from the game in 2 of the 3 transitional periods so far and he's the only one without veteranism.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
:dk64::falcon64::fox64::jigglypuff64::kirby64::link64::luigi64::mario64::ness64::pikachu64::samus64::yoshi64:
:bowsermelee::falcomelee::ganondorfmelee::icsmelee::marthmelee::mewtwomelee::gawmelee::peachmelee::sheikmelee::zeldamelee:
:charizard::dedede::diddy::ike::lucario::olimar::pit::rob::sonic::warioc::zerosuitsamus:
:4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4littlemac::4pacman::4palutena::4robinm::rosalina::4shulk::4villager::4wiifit: Also why is Pacman the only case where he isn't alphabetically organized, barring the alternate costumes?

:drmario::roymelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee: - They were cut once, the two that WERE planned for a return are now in but they made be quite low priority next time around.
:lucas::wolf::squirtle::ivysaur::snake: - Lucas & Wolf are above Doc & Roy for hopes but are in the same kind of position. Ivy & Squirtle are likely gone as relics of the past and Snake seems less and less likely for a return with each piece of news we get about his company and maker.
:4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4megaman: (Ryu) - Dark Pit & Lucina are the Clones For Cut. Capcom is.... a bit more questionable for what may happen in comparison to Namco for Pac-Man and Sonic's only become chummier with Nintendo since Brawl. Mii Fighters I question may be redone into another idea for Miis since they are generic "build a fighter" characters. Greninja... is just an odd feeling because of how we've seen unique Pokemon cut from the game in 2 of the 3 transitional periods so far and he's the only one without veteranism.
Like I've said before, I personally think that the repeated crossover comics with Sonic and Smash Bros alternate covers of non-crossover comics lead me to believe that Capcom is infatuated with the idea of letting Mega Man cross over with other icons and letting someone else market their character for them.

He's not quite a lock, but I think Mega Man's got better chances than many would give him credit for.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Like I've said before, I personally think that the repeated crossover comics with Sonic and Smash Bros alternate covers of non-crossover comics lead me to believe that Capcom is infatuated with the idea of letting Mega Man cross over with other icons and letting someone else market their character for them.

He's not quite a lock, but I think Mega Man's got better chances than many would give him credit for.
I don't want Megaman to go.
I just don't trust Capcom as much as Namco-Bandai
Go back like a page or 2 to see why.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't want Megaman to go.
I just don't trust Capcom as much as Namco-Bandai
Go back like a page or 2 to see why.
Alright. I read those posts already.

My point was that even if they can't be trusted to make their own crud, they're fine if someone else does it for them.

I understand if you're still wary, but I'm just getting a slightly different vibe off O the situation. :)

With sakurai around I think the melee vets are pretty safe. Jigglypuff avoided the chopping block in melee and brawl so it is probably fine. The melee vets are pretty much all big enough to be safe.

now when we get a new director that is a whole different story. . .

Burruni

Smash Hero
No Sheik should be thrown out for Impa, duh.
Just like how she was on the base roster because veteranship means nothing. Duh.
And Lucas should've just replaced Ness.
And Ike with Chrom.
And Ganondorf with Demise.
Lucario should've been replaced with Hawlucha.
Pikachu should've been replaced with Dendenne
And Diddy should've been replaced with Dixie because she was highlighted more in Tropical Freeze.

Just like how she was on the base roster because veteranship means nothing. Duh.
And Lucas should've just replaced Ness.
And Ike with Chrom.
And Ganondorf with Demise.
Lucario should've been replaced with Hawlucha.
Pikachu should've been replaced with Dendenne
And Diddy should've been replaced with Dixie because she was highlighted more in Tropical Freeze.
well there is a precedent after Lucario replaced Mewtwo :troll:
if the troll wasnt enough this is sarcasm
pikachu should have been replaced by pichu plusle+minun, raichu, luxray or literally any electric type

cutting shiek is a bad idea. cutting shiek for impa is even worse.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sheik is the only character who's from a big franchise who isn't an active character in her series anymore. Can't be said about any other character, so I still see her as the weakest link. Also, Impa's role has become more important than her in the meanwhile, so it's the only logical "replacement" I could think of in the roster.

Matter of fact is that Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in Melee if Mother 64 would've been released. So funny how you mentoined him there. Ike and Chrom was a situation that could've easily happened, but unlike Sheik's case, Ike is a far more important character to his lore than Chrom- yet everyone was extremely sure this would happen...

Anyway, I could still see Sheik getting kicked out for Impa if the latter appears with a role in Zelda Wii U and Sheik does not. Only saving grace could be Hyrule Warriors, in which Impa also appears.

Yeah they could appear alongside each other but the Zelda roster really, really needs some freshness in the roster it's been stale since Melee really, so it's still a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Yeah, it's an unpopular opinion but IDGAF. Zelda is a big enough franchise to warrant more playable characters, and if one has to be sacrifised I choose Sheik due to her being the least important in the series, even if Ganondorf has the worse moveset.

Speaking, I still think it's ridiculous that Sheik has had more love given to her than Ganondorf or Toon Link, despite both of those two characters have more importance and far more to work with.

But yeah guess y'all like Grenades and Bouncing Fish too much eh? :rolleyes: Her being Top Tier again puts this whole ****uation back to the post-Melee, pre-Brawl era where Sheik is just being clinged to by the fanbase because of "popularity" ignoring anything else in the process.

I know Impa is the most likely Zelda DLC character, which means it's far more likely to see Impa appear alongside Sheik than her appearing at all, but yeah I still think this whole situation is just screwd up.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Sheik is the only character who's from a big franchise who isn't an active character in her series anymore. Can't be said about any other character, so I still see her as the weakest link. Also, Impa's role has become more important than her in the meanwhile, so it's the only logical "replacement" I could think of in the roster.

Matter of fact is that Lucas was supposed to replace Ness in Melee if Mother 64 would've been released. So funny how you mentoined him there. Ike and Chrom was a situation that could've easily happened, but unlike Sheik's case, Ike is a far more important character to his lore than Chrom- yet everyone was extremely sure this would happen...

Anyway, I could still see Sheik getting kicked out for Impa if the latter appears with a role in Zelda Wii U and Sheik does not. Only saving grace could be Hyrule Warriors, in which Impa also appears.

Yeah they could appear alongside each other but the Zelda roster really, really needs some freshness in the roster it's been stale since Melee really, so it's still a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Yeah, it's an unpopular opinion but IDGAF. Zelda is a big enough franchise to warrant more playable characters, and if one has to be sacrifised I choose Sheik due to her being the least important in the series, even if Ganondorf has the worse moveset.

Speaking, I still think it's ridiculous that Sheik has had more love given to her than Ganondorf or Toon Link, despite both of those two characters have more importance and far more to work with.

But yeah guess y'all like Grenades and Bouncing Fish too much eh? :rolleyes: Her being Top Tier again puts this whole ****uation back to the post-Melee, pre-Brawl era where Sheik is just being clinged to by the fanbase because of "popularity" ignoring anything else in the process.

I know Impa is the most likely Zelda DLC character, which means it's far more likely to see Impa appear alongside Sheik than her appearing at all, but yeah I still think this whole situation is just screwd up.
1) I jokingly opened up WITH Lucas replacing Ness because it's the only time that idea has even been legitimately tossed about.

2) Being a veteran means a hell of a lot at this point.

3) Character from a big franchise, has no active role, other characters can fill that same role with little issue. Has most of their popularity comes from their identity in Smash instead of the one real game where they come in because their only other role was in a motley game that tossed around a lot of aspects from various titles?

Are we talking about :4sheik: or :roypm: here?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
1) I jokingly opened up WITH Lucas replacing Ness because it's the only time that idea has even been legitimately tossed about.

2) Being a veteran means a hell of a lot at this point.

3) Character from a big franchise, has no active role, other characters can fill that same role with little issue. Has most of their popularity comes from their identity in Smash instead of the one real game where they come in because their only other role was in a motley game that tossed around a lot of aspects from various titles?

Are we talking about :4sheik: or :roypm: here?
Fact remains, Lucina got in before Roy with his gimmick and even the likes of Ike and Robin got in before Roy. So the situation is still quite different.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Sheik the least important character in the series? Sheik IS Zelda, the title character and aside from Link the most important character in the series. She also represents Nintendo's most critically acclaimed title of all time. She's way more important than you're giving her credit for. They were never going to replace Sheik with a character that nobody unless you're a Zelda fan knows about. Despite what you might think, it isn't logical.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Doc and Roy will most likely have their positions secured in the next game because they both offer something very different from their originators, same with Lucas and Wolf. Given that Lucario was able to make it back when a lot of people including myself thought he would be a goner, Greninja is most likely staying. Megaman is also a lock mainly because of how iconic he is even without his series being relevant.

TBH, the only cut I can see happening for Smash 5 is Lucina and Dark Pit and I personally think both of them will still be alts in the game.

Also, as for the whole Sheik debate, I don't ever seeing her getting cut in favor for Impa. She has her Melee vet status as well as OoT being the most popular LoZ title in the franchise.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Sheik the least important character in the series? Sheik IS Zelda, the title character and aside from Link the most important character in the series. She also represents Nintendo's most critically acclaimed title of all time. She's way more important than you're giving her credit for. They were never going to replace Sheik with a character that nobody unless you're a Zelda fan knows about. Despite what you might think, it isn't logical.
You know who does these things just fine too?

Zelda.

Zelda is Zelda too, represents Ocarina of Time just fine, and she actually uses items seen only in Ocarina of Time.
Call me when breakdance ninjas, roped grenades and throwing needles are a thing in that game.

Don't come here with your rep stuff when the character in question is pretty far from being the main character and doesn't use weapons or attacks from said game.
Young Link could actually rep OoT better for being the main character and using the Kokiri Sword.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Whoever knew the likes of :4myfriends::4lucina::4robinm::4shulk::4lucas: unless you're a fanboy of respective series? It's like you are implying everyone and their mother and their step sister's guinea pig has played Ocarina of Time. Yes, Ocarina of Time is a classic. But what exactly does that give Sheik the priviledge over the likes of say, :squirtle: and :ivysaur:? Last time I checked, Pokémon Blue and Green where also one of Nintendo's most critically acclaimed titles of all time. And I swear Star Fox 64 has had close to as many ports as Ocarina of Time, and it was also hailed as best title in the franchise, so where's :wolf:?

Double standards, I tell you.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Whoever knew the likes of :4myfriends::4lucina::4robinm::4shulk::4lucas: unless you're a fanboy of respective series? It's like you are implying everyone and their mother and their step sister's guinea pig has played Ocarina of Time. Yes, Ocarina of Time is a classic. But what exactly does that give Sheik the priviledge over the likes of say, :squirtle: and :ivysaur:? Last time I checked, Pokémon Blue and Green where also one of Nintendo's most critically acclaimed titles of all time. And I swear Star Fox 64 has had close to as many ports as Ocarina of Time, and it was also hailed as best title in the franchise, so where's :wolf:?

Awakening saved the series and introduced tons of newbies too FE, so Robin and Lucina aren't that obscure. Wolf was likely cut due to time constraints, and Sheik WAS planned in TP, not to mention we have have most of the Pokemon characters already being Gen I

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Awakening saved the series and introduced tons of newbies too FE, so Robin and Lucina aren't that obscure. Wolf was likely cut due to time constraints, and Sheik WAS planned in TP, not to mention we have have most of the Pokemon characters already being Gen I
Yes and most of the Zelda characters are already from TP. Just like how Pokémon needs it's diversity, so does Zelda.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Arguing with Diddy over Impa.
Well, I already know how this story goes.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Except Zelda doesn't constantly add around 100 new potential characters all the time
No, generally we get an extremely cool ally and villian every time who gets overlooked for a one-off disguise for Zelda who has a completely made up moveset coming out of nothing.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Know who else is a super important character to a franchise and still isn't playable for ****ty reasons

Nobody Sakurai cares about

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Pokemon does need more characters than Zelda, simply because it's a far more popular franchise than Zelda. I mean, let's look at overall sales figures;
Zelda - 67 million copies
Pokemon - 200 million copies.

Pokemon is far more profitable than Zelda is, so it deserves to have more characters for that massive success.
As for Pokemon who are the most popular for introduction, Sceptile is the most likely since it's a starter Pokemon, from a recent release (ORAS) and has major roles in the series' two major mediums; the anime and the games.
Zoroark is just one 'Mon of over 300 that happens to have plot significance. Plus Gen 6 already happened and introduced other 'Mons more likely than Zoroark, so... :p

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
You know who does these things just fine too?

Zelda.

Zelda is Zelda too, represents Ocarina of Time just fine, and she actually uses items seen only in Ocarina of Time.
Call me when breakdance ninjas, roped grenades and throwing needles are a thing in that game.

Don't come here with your rep stuff when the character in question is pretty far from being the main character and doesn't use weapons or attacks from said game.
Young Link could actually rep OoT better for being the main character and using the Kokiri Sword.
Hey, I wasn't saying that Impa couldn't be added alongside the Zelda characters, nor was I saying that Sheik was needed to represent OoT. I'm saying that Sheik will never be replaced with Impa when she's already an established vet, and because of that the general audience already know who Sheik is. Believe it or not, most people would be upset that Impa replaced Sheik. The Smash fanbase is a lot bigger than the 15 to 30 people I see on this thread daily.

Adding a character to a franchise in the base game isn't the same as outright replacing a character that many have grown fond of due to being in most of the Smash titles already, even if they didn't know who they were at one point. I'm not even close to implying that everyone has played OoT. Don't act like I am. I'm implying that OoT is a very important game in the history of Nintendo (You know, what Smash is supposed to be a celebration of), so it makes perfect sense that Sheik has stuck around. I can't say why Sakurai has given Sheik privileges over Squirtle and Ivysaur, but what I can say is that they weren't replaced by anybody. Wolf's low priority is probably due to Sakurai not knowing of any new Star Fox game coming out in the future at the time of the roster being decided on. Sakurai even stated that franchises that probably weren't getting a new game in the near future were given lower priority.

Now I suddenly remember why I never post anything in this thread anymore. :facepalm:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

And how many of them are more important than Ingo is to Zelda?

If we're gonna count every Pokémon, you gotta count every Zelda NPC, from Talon to Byrne.
How many games does Impa appear in with a significant role? Outside of Hyrule Warriors and Skyward Sword of course. I wouldn't mind Impa, but saying she should outright replace Sheik is moronic

Pokemon needs more reps more than Zelda,
it deserves to have more characters
*sighs* why cant we get over the deserving and reps mentality in this community. . .let characters fight for themselves please

if we arent counting greninja and that zoroark is a pokemon whou would be more likely than it from gen 6?

PS sceptile is never happening
How many games does Impa appear in with a significant role? Outside of Hyrule Warriors and Skyward Sword of course. I wouldn't mind Impa, but saying she should outright replace Sheik is moronic
OOT
saying she should outright replace Sheik is moronic
this

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hey, I wasn't saying that Impa couldn't be added alongside the Zelda characters, nor was I saying that Sheik was needed to represent OoT. I'm saying that Sheik will never be replaced with Impa when she's already an established vet, and because of that the general audience already know who Sheik is. Believe it or not, most people would be upset that Impa replaced Sheik. The Smash fanbase is a lot bigger than the 15 to 30 people I see on this thread daily.

Adding a character to a franchise in the base game isn't the same as outright replacing a character that many have grown fond of due to being in most of the Smash titles already, even if they didn't know who they were at one point. I'm not even close to implying that everyone has played OoT. Don't act like I am. I'm implying that OoT is a very important game in the history of Nintendo (You know, what Smash is supposed to be a celebration of), so it makes perfect sense that Sheik has stuck around. I can't say why Sakurai has given Sheik privileges over Squirtle and Ivysaur, but what I can say is that they weren't replaced by anybody. Wolf's low priority is probably due to Sakurai not knowing of any new Star Fox game coming out in the future at the time of the roster being decided on. Sakurai even stated that franchises that probably weren't getting a new game in the near future were given lower priority.

Now I suddenly remember why I never post anything in this thread anymore. :facepalm:
Yeah duh of course Sheik wouldn't be cut.
But saying Sheik has to say or citing it as a reason because she represents OoT isn't a valid reason.

Veteranhood is.

Sheik won't be cut for Impa.
(Although saying Impa has no big roles outside of Skyward Sword and HW is saying that Sheik doesn't exist outside of OoT and Smash)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sheik won't be cut for Impa.
(Although saying Impa has no big roles outside of Skyward Sword and HW is saying that Sheik doesn't exist outside of OoT and Smash)
Impa's been kind of minor in the past, only being in the manual for I think Zelda II and I believe she had a minor role in LttP. I'm fully admitting I forgot OoT

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I'll give Lucas a better chance than before but I agree. IMO the Smash 5 roster should be this

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::rosalina::4yoshi::4wario::4dk::4diddy:
:4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:
:4fox::4falco::wolf::4pikachu::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo::4charizard::4lucario::4ness::4lucas:
:4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::roypm::4falcon::4olimar::4villager::4littlemac::4wiifit::4shulk:
(Ballot Characters) :4drmario: :4sonic::4megaman::4pacman:(Ryu)

:4darkpit::4lucina: are back as alts. Newcomers are:

Inking
Cross
Kamui
New reps from Star Fox, Zelda, Metroid and Pokemon.
Simon Belmont

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom