• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Speaking of retro characters, in your opinion, what are the chances we'll get another historical retro as DLC? (Like DH, R.O.B., G&W)
If Takamaru wasn't an Assist Trophy, I think he would have had a shot. Can't really think of anyone else.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Historical retros don't really follow the relevance argument at all really, there's nothing much against them, but there isn't much of a precedent or evidence to use that it could happen again with DLC. Sakurai just may find Duck Hunt to be enough, but he might add another one so he diversify the DLC selection. My head is kinda getting wrapped on it.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wonder, if Ridley did appear in a new Metroid game, and was around Bowser/DK/K.Rool size and looked good.

Would your thoughts change?
If people's thoughts didn't change after that, I hope that the fanbase would collectively dismiss whatever detractor arguments remained. If he were Smash-sized by default, anyone still insatiable enough to complain that "he wouldn't look right" or "he couldn't fly forever" or "he's too mindless" deserves no credibility in the speculation scene whatsoever.

Not that that'll stop detractors, mind you. If Ridley gets a small design, I expect the arguments will shift to "he's big in all his appearances but the original Metroid and Metroid: Another M, so it still wouldn't be right to make him small." And also ad hominem attacks about Ridley fans and how they don't deserbe to be satisfied as well.

StormC

Smash Hero
I actually think Ridley being "mindless" would be a reason to add him, not a disincentive. Smash could use a berserker.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Ridley isn't even mindless, he's about as close to a chessmaster as Nintendo villains get.

He's a sociopathic space dragon leader of a gang of space terrorists, but damnit if he isn't the most disturbing Nintendo villain ever concieved.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ridley isn't even mindless, he's about as close to a chessmaster as Nintendo villains get.

He's a sociopathic space dragon leader of a gang of space terrorists, but damnit if he isn't the most disturbing Nintendo villain ever concieved.
Ridley, particularly in the Metroid Manga, has been shown as a sophisticated but heartless hunter. His only "mindless" usage was in Other M.

But, if we wanna talk about Chessmasters of Nintendo villains? There's really one character I see above Ridley

TL;DR: I totally agree. Porky's one of few more villains that have been shown for clear intelligence and methodicism.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Ridley, particularly in the Metroid Manga, has been shown as a sophisticated but heartless hunter. His only "mindless" usage was in Other M.
To be fair to Other M Ridley, at least he made it out better then the rest of the Space Pirates as a whole and actually shown some cunning, the rest of his underlings were demoted to "mindless drones without a queen."

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
>size debates
>not even propoportions at first
>using NES ridley as evidence in any way

Jumanji references!!!!!!!!! XD

Seriously though. This is why I don't like it when Ridley shows up in a conversation. It's the same dang arguments over and over again. I'm getting tired of: Ridley is too big, no he is not (Brings up Bowser's size in the games.), but Ridley is always big, (Brings up NES Ridley) and besides size doesn't matter in Smash (Bring up Olimar and Kirby), But the proportions wouldn't work, (Brings up Project M).........

(Sighs) Lets talk about something else.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Look at it again. There is "Super Mario" right below "Mario". I counted it too because thats what brought him to success.

He also lacks "are you f***ing serious" and "my little pet" sizes. Its just "big", "slightly bigger", "wow why the f*** is he so giant", "why the f*** is he suddenly small again" and "who is dat little guy?".
And even then, it's still inconsistent.
Seriously, look at all the inconsistent sizes that Ridley's gone through;

How is any of this different from Bowser's size changes?
This size comparison is a bit incorrect. Metroid Fusion Ridley is as big as Super Metroid Ridley. Instead of him, Ridley-X is shown. Its like describing classic Mega Man or using him for size comparisons and stuff like that while showing X.
I can't say I want a character that much taller than Bowser. His head would clip straight through Battlefield platforms.

I'm fine with Ridley being resized (awkward proportions aside) but let's not try to bring him in at actual character height.
Him being taller won't mean he will be bigger. DK is great example of that - he is very big, but he is standing and moving like a gorilla. Same for Ridley minus the gorilla part (instead, he is just badly hunched over).
Bowser is around a head taller than Peach (and fittingly Samus) by reference picture. That's... 2'6" by the measurements you gave, a bit over half of the size gap for Ridley.
That still would be around half of any human fighter above Bowser in regards to comparing raw canon size.
But raw size doesn't always matter in Smash.
What is the biggest matter is PROPORTIONS.
Many Metroid fans hate the Roidley design. They want "Classic" Ridley, and it'd be the design that doesn't truly clash with Pyrosphere Ridley.
Fine. Makes sense. That's his more uniform design.
Let's look at those proportions, going off of that design's adaptation in Brawl.

Namely it's the grounds that he has fairly scrawny limbs, VERY thin neck, and elongated tail.
Congrats, this is the argument that's been done to death.
That Project M mod with the Other M design does make a fairly convincing case for how it can work.
But when we go for the more beloved design when trying to be made into a fighter by fan mods....
Some results are not nearly as pretty.

THAT NECK.

The Other M design was the far more probable one to be converted into a fighter than the Super Metroid onwards one because its bodyshape was more natural and burly.
Has Bowser been scaled? Up down and sideways in both his own games and Smash. But his body is one that can go through it pretty seemlessly.
Ridley is meant to be a living totem of terror. I'd rather see a design that looks better as a fighter while retaining an intimidating look from the Metroid series to be interpreted in Smash... that people don't despite namely due to the game it's from.
Meta Ridley shown here is not Ridley. Its Charizard's model edited to look like him.
As if he must use already existing design. It can be a new one that fixes his main problems (thin neck and head size for example). SSB4 ZSS isn't Other M Samus either.
BTW, Ridley's tail isn't much longer than Charizard's.
I actually think Ridley being "mindless" would be a reason to add him, not a disincentive. Smash could use a berserker.
Him being intelligent doesn't really means he must behave well. He is still a savage beast at heart.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This size comparison is a bit incorrect. Metroid Fusion Ridley is as big as Super Metroid Ridley. Instead of him, Ridley-X is shown. Its like describing classic Mega Man or using him for size comparisons and stuff like that while showing X.
I'm willing to bet X is the same size as Mega Man if not slightly taller, It just doesn't look that way sprite wise until Mega Man 8 (Which nobody liked for some reason. I'm thinking it's either graphics, Mega Man's bad voice actor, the Jetboard, or the fact that it is more forgiving than the other games)

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Look at it again. There is "Super Mario" right below "Mario". I counted it too because thats what brought him to success.
It's listed under the Mario series, though. That Mario listing has Super Mario listed in its sales numbers, and the spin-offs.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Just gonna say this.

If we get Ryu in Smash but NOT Guile's Theme, I'm going to be incredibly upset.

That theme is the single most iconic piece of music in that series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know, I've been thinking about it for a while, and I think I have pinpointed on why I think retros have a very little chance is because Nintendo hasn't notably revived any of the old IPs with a new game like they did with Little Mac as of recent. Though if there is an upcoming game for one of them, he may try to promote it through developing a character.
Duck Hunt Dog didn't need a new game to get in Smash. :smirk:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Ridley?

I think Sakurai is slow to cave to fan pressure and slow to figure out how to implement things, but usually caves eventually.

I can see Ridley getting in eventually just due to sheer fan demand, but I'm not going to be shocked if he doesn't make it next time, either.

"Too big" isn't a viable excuse for not adding him, though. They can tweak the model just fine. Being a bandwagon character that no casuals will recognize might be a viable excuse, but #MonadoMonday destroys any credibility that it might have had.

Burruni

Smash Hero
To uhm.... bring some things onto a better subject.

What's the most amazing moment you've had to claim a stock in Smash 4?

I've got two ones I can't choose between with :4ganondorf:

1) Friendlies against gf, :4ganondorf: vs :4jigglypuff: for whose the most villainous fighter. Normal stuff. See her running in for a greed rush down rest. 3DS Version. I accidentally Warlock Punch instead of Wizard's Foot to counter. Super Armor eats the Rest during the wind-up. Hit connects.

2) :4ganondorf: vs :4kirby: on Battlefield, 1st Stock. Kirby recovering high onto one of the side platforms. I plan to charge Up+Smash to punish since they've gotten into the bad habit of countering me going up into an aerial by slamming down with stone. I accidentally start the Up-Tilt VOLCANO KICK. The windbox DRAGS STONE KIRBY TO THE RIGHT, OFF THE PLATFORM, TO THE LEFT INTO THE SWEETSPOT OF THE IMPACT. INSTANT STOCK LOST. Super Windbox Bros 4.

Missed Inputs Win Games

1) Friendlies against gf, :4ganondorf: vs :4jigglypuff: for whose the most villainous fighter. Normal stuff. See her running in for a greed rush down rest. 3DS Version. I accidentally Warlock Punch instead of Wizard's Foot to counter. Super Armor eats the Rest during the wind-up. Hit connects.

2) :4ganondorf: vs :4kirby: on Battlefield, 1st Stock. Kirby recovering high onto one of the side platforms. I plan to charge Up+Smash to punish since they've gotten into the bad habit of countering me going up into an aerial by slamming down with stone. I accidentally start the Up-Tilt VOLCANO KICK. The windbox DRAGS STONE KIRBY TO THE RIGHT, OFF THE PLATFORM, TO THE LEFT INTO THE SWEETSPOT OF THE IMPACT. INSTANT STOCK LOST. Super Windbox Bros 4.

Missed Inputs Win Games
(Does this count as character discussion ?)
Offstage reverse falcon punch.

I recovered.

First try

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

Missed Inputs Win Games

:4drmario: vs :4mewtwo: match where I caped his Shadow Ball

:4wiifit: vs :4lucina: who did nothing but roll and countered the entire match. Especially when one of Lucina rolls hit right into Trainer's F-Smash which hits from both sides.

:4shulk: vs :4peach: comeback which I hit his Up-Air

And last with :4littlemac: vs :4ganondorf: which I Countered his Up-Tilt at 15%.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4diddy:'s D Air makes for the best kills ever.

Nothing else can compare. Except maybe breaking a shield with :4dk:'s Side or Down B, and then aim for a Giant Punch.

Burruni

Smash Hero

Nothing else can compare. Except maybe breaking a shield with :4dk:'s Side or Down B, and then aim for a Giant Punch.
I'm sorry.
I know you love Diddy.
But the best kills in Smash are gimped recoveries with Robin's discarded tomes or Levin Sword.

Edit: Especially if it's Villager or Deep Kong

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Listen up Milford Cubicle. What is this "Diddy Kong" that you seem to be so fond of? I would appreciate it greatly if you filled me in, just like i did to your mother last night in your bedroom. Furthermore, I digress that the mere suggestion of the thought of the idea that Diddy Kong is real makes me wish to infect myself with rectal cancer.
Go die you swine. Who the **** mains Diddy Kong. Grow a pair of testicles you ****ing woman.
I think you need a banana shoved up somewhere real deep. :4diddy:

Ikenna Ezechukwu

Smash Rookie

Reminds me of how happy I got when I broke a pro Rosalina player's shield as :4dk: in For Fun Team Smash.
:4ganondorf:s f-tilt, the kick, is the most satisfying KO move in my opinion. Landing the Spartan Kick against someone who is behaving particularly annoying with enough knockback to KO them feels great, you know? Like, I'm so done.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wanted to impale myself with a fruit ever since I laid eyes upon you, you slimy, disgusting jungle ****. Your kind belongs as farmhands slaving away, rather than on forums. Where did you even get a computer? You clearly stole it. I will slaughter your family whilst you watch. Once completed i will round up the leftovers and make you eat it through a straw. My Muslim brethren will cut you up, raze your pathetic mud hut villages to the ground, and **** and pillage your women with our veiny, bloodlusted penises resembling beam swords. Top tier? Top **** m9
Seems you got rek'd real bad, very often.

Just one sollution for you:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm on a crusade to rid the world of all Diddy Mong ****ing *******. Too long you have plagued us with Down-Throw Up-Air skill. In reality, the technical skill required to play Diddy Kong at a high level is of such demand I cannot cope. You see, as a child, a monkey maimed my hand, leaving me with a George Atkinson reminisce lack of fingers. I am unable to smash and ***** the C-Stick to it's full potential, so I can't play Diddy Kong
You wouldn't beat a cripple
I win. Consider your anus thoroughly ploughed
Patch your Smash game to version 1.06 or a later update, and then proceed losing to Diddy's on different methods than D Throw + U Air.

diddy aproval.png

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I'm willing to bet X is the same size as Mega Man if not slightly taller, It just doesn't look that way sprite wise until Mega Man 8 (Which nobody liked for some reason. I'm thinking it's either graphics, Mega Man's bad voice actor, the Jetboard, or the fact that it is more forgiving than the other games)
Thats not exactly what i meant. X is Mega Man...except its a completly different guy.
It's listed under the Mario series, though. That Mario listing has Super Mario listed in its sales numbers, and the spin-offs.
Then why is it shown as separate below the "Mario"? Just a mistake or what?
What if Ridley got a human incarnation like Mother Brain did in Other M in the next Metroid game? :^)
That would be f***ing stupid (at least MB makes sense since its an android and Mother Brain was a super computer thing) and i doubt anyone would want THAT to be playable.
Ridley Scott for Smash 5.
Fixed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom