• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I said I expected EITHER Robin or Lucina to get cut. I think Lucina is the more likely of the two but as I stated before, characters know one expects to return such as Toon Link and R.O.B return anyway. The only reason I stated Robin is because he COULD be replaced by a newer avatar character, That doesn't mean he will get cut though. With that out of the way maybe we should get back on the topic of DLC for Smash 4.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I wanted :toonlink:to go mainly because I was extremely :salt:about him taking:younglinkmelee:'s place on the roster. When :4tlink:came back to Smash 4, I became even more :salt:and I refused to play as the character unless I have to get his Classic/All-Star trophy or for any other completion reason.
Funny, I partially main Toon Link in both.

|:3

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I play Smash Run a lot, but I can kind of see why it gets some flak.

For one thing, one major step down from City Trial is the fact that you can't interact with the other players on the same map. Everyone is just running around in their own little world, isolated from each other. Part of the fun of City Trial in Air Ride was hunting down the other opponents and stealing their stat boots. To be fair, I get the feeling this was done was because of technical limitations of the 3DS. I've noticed that when a bunch of enemies spawn and you run away from them, most of them despawn, and more enemies appear where you're at. If there were four players on the same map together, enemies would just keep spawning left and right and perhaps that'd train the CPU down or something. The devs already had to cut corners to make Smash work on 3DS, like neutering the item frequency option, making NPCs move at 30 fps, and unfortunately, cutting the Ice Climbers, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case.

Secondly, the lack of options is also disappointing. City Trial gave you a bunch of options for the the city segment and the final battle, like how much time there is and what the minigame at the end revolves around. Smash Run gives you none of that, basically only allowing you to run around in the maze for five minutes and always end with a 1 minute long battle/minigame. It especially sucks that you can’t select the final battle, because, well, say I’m Little Mac, and I get a 1000+ boost in attack power, and naturally I’d want to show that off in a regular Smash battle, right? Well, too bad, I have to play the damn climbing minigame.

And then lastly…I think most of the enemies themselves in the maze segment are generally too crazy and frustrating to deal with. This is a similar problem I think SSE had as well. Half the time, you’re just being gang ***** into a corner by all these enemies that have like, gigantically long laser attacks or enemies that get you stuck in place which allows others to ram into you with their powerful attacks that send you flying, usually KOing you. The Devil Car, Chandelure, Skuttler Mage, Petili, Egg Robo, etc can all go suck a ****.

But despite all that, I like playing it every now and then. It definitely becomes more enjoyable when you make more use of equipment, custom moves, and powers (Brief Invincibility is your friend), and it’s still pretty funny to get a crapload of attack/special stat boosts and destroy everything insight.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario

For one thing, one major step down from City Trial is the fact that you can't interact with the other players on the same map. Everyone is just running around in their own little world, isolated from each other. Part of the fun of City Trial in Air Ride was hunting down the other opponents and stealing their stat boots. To be fair, I get the feeling this was done was because of technical limitations of the 3DS. I've noticed that when a bunch of enemies spawn and you run away from them, most of them despawn, and more enemies appear where you're at. If there were four players on the same map together, enemies would just keep spawning left and right and perhaps that'd train the CPU down or something. The devs already had to cut corners to make Smash work on 3DS, like neutering the item frequency option, making NPCs move at 30 fps, and unfortunately, cutting the Ice Climbers, so I wouldn’t be surprised if that was the case.

Secondly, the lack of options is also disappointing. City Trial gave you a bunch of options for the the city segment and the final battle, like how much time there is and what the end minigame at the end revolves around. Smash Run gives you none of that, basically only allowing you to run around in the maze for five minutes and always end with a 1 minute long battle/minigame. It especially sucks that you can’t select the final battle, because, well, say I’m Little Mac, and I get a 1000+ boost in attack power, and naturally I’d want to show that off in a regular Smash battle, right? Well, too bad, I have to play the damn climbing minigame.

And then lastly…I think most of the enemies themselves in the maze segment are generally too crazy and frustrating to deal with. This is a similar problem I think SSE had as well. Half the time, you’re just being gang ***** into a corner by all these enemies that have like, gigantically long laser attacks or enemies that get you stuck in place which allows others to ram into you with their powerful attacks that send you flying, which usually KOs you. The Devil Car, Chandelure, Skuttler Mage, Petili, Egg Robo, etc can all go suck a ****.

But despite all that, I like playing it every now and then. It definitely becomes more enjoyable when you make more use of equipment, custom moves, and powers (Brief Invincibility is your friend), and it’s still pretty funny to get a crapload of attack/special stat boosts and destroy everything insight.
I second that motion.

On another note, say we WERE to magically get a third Mother character. (Don't say "We won't" as an answer because that would mean you misread the question)

Who would it be and why,

My votes go to Jeff and the Masked Man, popular Mother characters with loads of moveset potential distant from Ness and Lucas. However, Porky is honestly most likely due to being a major antagonist in two of the games (and the most popular two, at that.)

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord

Secondly, the lack of options is also disappointing. City Trial gave you a bunch of options for the the city segment and the final battle, like how much time there is and what the minigame at the end revolves around. Smash Run gives you none of that, basically only allowing you to run around in the maze for five minutes and always end with a 1 minute long battle/minigame. It especially sucks that you can’t select the final battle, because, well, say I’m Little Mac, and I get a 1000+ boost in attack power, and naturally I’d want to show that off in a regular Smash battle, right? Well, too bad, I have to play the damn climbing minigame.

And then lastly…I think most of the enemies themselves in the maze segment are generally too crazy and frustrating to deal with. This is a similar problem I think SSE had as well. Half the time, you’re just being gang ***** into a corner by all these enemies that have like, gigantically long laser attacks or enemies that get you stuck in place which allows others to ram into you with their powerful attacks that send you flying, usually KOing you. The Devil Car, Chandelure, Skuttler Mage, Petili, Egg Robo, etc can all go suck a ****.

I agree. It would be nice if a more improved Smash Run came to Smash Wii U as DLC. It could have interactions with other characters, more options, more balanced enemies, and hopefully an online Smash Run mode. Way better than Smash Tour.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I don't know much about the Mother series, but judging from what I do know, I'd go with Porky, since he is both an antagonist and recurring. Giygas is an option for the same reasons though he might be hard to make...um, possible.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I don't know much about the Mother series, but judging from what I do know, I'd go with Porky, since he is both an antagonist and recurring. Giygas is an option for the same reasons though he might be hard to make...um, possible.
They COULD do Mother 1 Giygas, but Porky's Mother 3 form is more iconic.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the topic of ALTs, the fact that Dry Bowser wasn't an ALT is one of, if not the biggest, oversight in SSB4. They added all the Koopalings and all the dark variations of characters that actually have dark variations in their respective series and yet this somehow slipped their mind.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Funny, I partially main Toon Link in both.

|:3
Did you main :younglinkmelee:in Melee? Also, keep in mind that this is just how I feel about :4tlink:. I don't speak on behalf of all :younglinkmelee:mains lol.

Smash Run >>>>>>>>>>> Smash Tour for me personally. While Smash Run was decent and still pretty enjoyable, Smash Tour just feels boring as hell and it's such a chore to play through the mode.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I said I expected EITHER Robin or Lucina to get cut. I think Lucina is the more likely of the two but as I stated before, characters know one expects to return such as Toon Link and R.O.B return anyway. The only reason I stated Robin is because he COULD be replaced by a newer avatar character, That doesn't mean he will get cut though. With that out of the way maybe we should get back on the topic of DLC for Smash 4.

I don't see either leaving, :4robinm: won't go because you cane replace a moveset and Sakurai or whatever new director won't do the same mistake that befell Mewtwo in Brawl.

:4lucina: on the other hand will be regulated back to what she could have been: :4marth: alternate costume. For reasons of it'll make room for some unique reps of Kamui or even #FE rep of ever going that far.

The only possible cut is:4greninja: or :4megaman:/:4pacman:/:4sonic: depending on their companies but neither won't happen

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Lucina still has a chance if she's significantly decloned and has lightning based attacks similar to how Roy has fire based attacks. Otherwise, she's just going to be an alt for Marth come Smash 5.

Every other FE character is pretty much a lock to return in Smash 5.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Lucina still has a chance if she's significantly decloned and has lightning based attacks similar to how Roy has fire based attacks. Otherwise, she's just going to be an alt for Marth come Smash 5.

Every other FE character is pretty much a lock to return in Smash 5.
...Lucina? Lightning attacks? :confused:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
...Lucina? Lightning attacks? :confused:
IDK, something to differentiate herself from Marth lol. Fox has his Up B that's not even related to the Star Fox games so it's not a stretch IMO.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
IDK, something to differentiate herself from Marth lol. Fox has his Up B that's not even related to the Star Fox games so it's not a stretch IMO.

Nah, Lucina with an Ice-based effect for attacks.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
On the topic of ALTs, the fact that Dry Bowser wasn't an ALT is one of, if not the biggest, oversight in SSB4. They added all the Koopalings and all the dark variations of characters that actually have dark variations in their respective series and yet this somehow slipped their mind.
I'm still mad Captain Falcon doesn't have a proper Blood Falcon alt yet.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Yeah I have a hard time seeing Lucina come back next time.
No issue if she's replaced by, like, Anna or something.
Anna and Lyn will always get top support from me because merchant shenanigans and I love me some sword play, especially of the iai variety, but I'm curious to see if Aqua has any deep plot relevance to If first. Spear + dancer mold has to lead to some good stuff.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dunno, even as clones go Lucina's super easy to do.
They barely had to animate anything different and she has so very few differences that if they want a very last second person to pad out the roster a bit more then she is definitely the one to go for

Like seriously you can count the differences on your hand, Didn't even bother at least giving the Final Smash an Awakening flare, godamn she feels lazy ...where was I going with this?
Same could be said for the handful of Melee clones which didn't make it back. It's not about ease, the characters who get cut are often the easier ones to bring back anyway.

I feel the opposite. I think that we'll just get less newcomers going forward and more focus/advertisement will go into other content aside from the roster. Maybe not something stupidly time consuming like the Subspace Emissary again but still some big mode or two they can advertise the hell out of.
I'm not saying we'll get a greater amount of newcomers, it's at a point where even if we only get a dozen the roster will still be pushing the limits of what typical fighting game rosters amount to.

And they can add whatever modes they want, but it's not going to change the fact that the characters are the principle factor that sells the game, so the focus will likely always remain first and foremost on them.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be fair, half of those cuts where planned to return, except they didn't make it due to time constraints. The only exceptions where Young Link (who was more or less replaced) and Pichu. (who was included as a joke)

Hence why I said Lucina would probably be put on a lower priority. Especially if she still has a (Japanese) fanbase that wants her back. Which was probably what also helped with Toon Link's return.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
To be fair, half of those cuts where planned to return, except they didn't make it due to time constraints. The only exceptions where Young Link (who was more or less replaced) and Pichu. (who was included as a joke)

Hence why I said Lucina would probably be put on a lower priority. Especially if she still has a (Japanese) fanbase that wants her back. Which was probably what also helped with Toon Link's return.
Tbh, I'm one of those that wants the next Zelda newcomer after Impa (or even before Impa) to be a Toon character like Tetra or Vaati.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Didn't you suggest Galvantula earlier though?
Good eye, that man~

Yes, I did suggest Galvantula earlier, but that was more so out of bias. I actually think Gardevoir has a pretty good chance (Pokéball summon notwithstanding - I'm talking about future Smash enterprises) and I've recently had my eyes opened to how much I actually love the Embrace Pokémon.

I second that motion.

On another note, say we WERE to magically get a third Mother character. (Don't say "We won't" as an answer because that would mean you misread the question)

Who would it be and why,

My votes go to Jeff and the Masked Man, popular Mother characters with loads of moveset potential distant from Ness and Lucas. However, Porky is honestly most likely due to being a major antagonist in two of the games (and the most popular two, at that.)
Porky for sure.

He's the series' recurring antagonist, and even if he's never the final boss, he has a deep personal connection with the heroes and is the catalyst for the chaos that unfolds in both games - not to mention the fact that he's very popular (relative to the admittedly niche Mother choices on offer) and has great moveset potential.

Ninten or Kumatora would make for great alts, though. I can dream of Boney or Duster.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm personally concerned about Megaman being cut in the next game as he becomes more and more irrelevant as Capcom continues to spite Inafune for leaving them by putting the series on indefinite hold. If I were to put down the characters that I think will be cut/strongly altered in the initial release of the next game, they would be: :4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::4megaman::4mii::4robinm::4shulk:. :4darkpit: and :4lucina: just seem like no brainers, :4greninja: :4robinm::4shulk: could be replaced by newer characters in their franchises, :4megaman: could be gone for not having a game in a billion years, and I get the feeling that :4mii:is either going to be scrapped or reduced down to one super customizable character.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm personally concerned about Megaman being cut in the next game as he becomes more and more irrelevant as Capcom continues to spite Inafune for leaving them by putting the series on indefinite hold. If I were to put down the characters that I think will be cut/strongly altered in the initial release of the next game, they would be: :4darkpit::4greninja::4lucina::4megaman::4mii::4robinm::4shulk:. :4darkpit: and :4lucina: just seem like no brainers, :4greninja: :4robinm::4shulk: could be replaced by newer characters in their franchises, :4megaman: could be gone for not having a game in a billion years, and I get the feeling that :4mii:is either going to be scrapped or reduced down to one super customizable character.
I highly, highly disagree with Greninja, Robin and Shulk.

They didn't cut Lucario, Marth, Ike, Ganondorf, Ness, Sheik and it seems like Roy is returning - why would they arbitrarily cut / replace those three characters?

The last-minute clones I can see getting the axe, unless they're fundamentally altered on some level. I doubt Mii will get dropped as well.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I highly, highly disagree with Greninja, Robin and Shulk.

They didn't cut Lucario, Marth, Ike, Ganondorf, Ness, Sheik and it seems like Roy is returning - why would they arbitrarily cut / replace those three characters?

The last-minute clones I can see getting the axe, unless they're fundamentally altered on some level. I doubt Mii will get dropped as well.
That's why I said "could." Lucario has been one of the most popular pokemon since the 4th gen with key roles in the past three generations, Marth is the leading hero of Fire Emblem with three games, Ike has two and was basically the star of the last two FE console games, Ganondorf is still Ganon who is the main villian of LoZ, Ness was in two Smash games before a new Mother hero came along, Sheik was a part of Zelda until this game, and Roy is going to be DLC. In the end, they're still going to cut people but, as I said, they can just as easily be added back in later if their is enough demand for them to return.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That's why I said "could." Lucario has been one of the most popular pokemon since the 4th gen with key roles in the past three generations, Marth is the leading hero of Fire Emblem with three games, Ike has two and was basically the star of the last two FE console games, Ganondorf is still Ganon who is the main villian of LoZ, Ness was in two Smash games before a new Mother hero came along, Sheik was a part of Zelda until this game, and Roy is going to be DLC. In the end, they're still going to cut people but, as I said, they can just as easily be added back in later if their is enough demand for them to return.
Oh, yeah, I concede that. They could be cut, but I honestly doubt they of all people will get dropped from the main roster. Sakurai said himself he hates cutting veterans, and when they're as unique and well-received as the aforementioned three, it seems like it'd be counter-intuitive to cut them of the 50+ roster.

Incidentally, Sheik only appeared in Ocarina of Time. The Twilight Princess design was drawn specifically for Brawl.

mark welford

Smash Ace
I like the miis and I would be kind of upset to see them go but it seems like though that Nintendo wants them to be around for a long while because with them you can represent yourself in a Nintendo game and that is the basis of their name, mii. It just makes too much sense for them to be in Smash and not enough sense for them to be cut from Smash.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I don't see Mega Man being cut unless Capcom goes under. They may not want to bother making any games for him, but they live it when other people put him in easily marketed stuff for them. TWENTY FOUR ISSUES WORTH OF COMIC BOOKS CROSSING OVER WITH SONIC THE HEDGEHOG. And Smash Bros collector covers during the time when that's not happening. Mega Man and Sonic aren't going anywhere unless Capcom/Sega goes under because they love each other and easy marketing too much. (I still can't use my phone properly so where it says live it I meant love it)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I don't see Mega Man being cut unless Capcom goes under. They may not want to bother making any games for him, but they live it when other people put him in easily marketed stuff for them. TWENTY FOUR ISSUES WORTH OF COMIC BOOKS CROSSING OVER WITH SONIC THE HEDGEHOG. And Smash Bros collector covers during the time when that's not happening. Mega Man and Sonic aren't going anywhere unless Capcom/Sega goes under because they love each other and easy marketing too much. (I still can't use my phone properly so where it says live it I meant love it)
Which, as a big Megaman fan, pisses me off to no end. I hate that the character has largely been reduced to selling collectibles, energy drinks, and comics. The current situation surrounding Megaman is such a perfect **** storm that I find it to be infinitely aggravating.

mark welford

Smash Ace
Capcom, Namco-Bandai could easily strike up another deal for Megaman and Pac-man to return for the next iteration of Smash and at this point I am more than confident that Sonic will be in the next one too.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I honestly think Sonic is an honorary Nintendo character at this point. He's a fixture in Smash.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I'm honestly not sure WHAT the cutting situation is going to be like this time. We've lost 5 and 6 characters respectively during transitions, and the only characters that look even remotely cuttable this time around are Greninja, Lucina, and Dark Pit, with the latter two being better fits for being returned to alternate character status as they were originally intended than being outright cut. Of course, I wasn't willing to predict ANY cuts pre Smash 4, but I'm trying to be better prepared this time.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm honestly not sure WHAT the cutting situation is going to be like this time. We've lost 5 and 6 characters respectively during transitions, and the only characters that look even remotely cuttable this time around are Greninja, Lucina, and Dark Pit, with the latter two being better fits for being returned to alternate character status as they were originally intended than being outright cut. Of course, I wasn't willing to predict ANY cuts pre Smash 4, but I'm trying to be better prepared this time.
I always grade cuts like this and considering we won't a get another Ice Climbers/Pokemon Trainer situation here it is:

100% chance of staying
:rosalina::4palutena::4villager::4littlemac::4wiifit::4shulk:

80-75% chance of Staying
:4robinm::4megaman::4pacman::4bowserjr:

60-30% chance of staying
:4greninja: (Ballot Character)

25% chance of staying
:4darkpit::4lucina:

The clones chances are due to them probably being regulated back to alts again.

Better chance than what I gave Brawl vets

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I always grade cuts like this and considering we won't a get another Ice Climbers/Pokemon Trainer situation here it is:

100% chance of staying
:rosalina::4palutena::4villager::4littlemac::4wiifit::4shulk:

80-75% chance of Staying
:4robinm::4megaman::4pacman::4bowserjr:

60-30% chance of staying
:4greninja: (Ballot Character)

25% chance of staying
:4darkpit::4lucina:

The clones chances are due to them probably being regulated back to alts again.

Better chance than what I gave Brawl vets
Honestly if you swapped Bowser Jr. and Shulk's places here it would be pretty close to my own opinion...

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think Shulk would be a lock for Smash "5" on the grounds that I don't see them cutting a whole series from the game just because they can.
Snake and Ice Climbers don't count (though I feel I shouldn't have to say that).

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Honestly if you swapped Bowser Jr. and Shulk's places here it would be pretty close to my own opinion...
I would too but Shulk won't go anytime soon. Nintendo's trying to push Xenoblade as their next big RPG with Pokemon and FE. Shulk isn't going anywhere, he's the Ness/Marth/Pikachu of his franchise where he is the big face of the franchise as a whole and Smawh rarely cuts protagonist

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Also, still no proper Daisy costume for Peach. I bet that palette swap took 10 minutes to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom