• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Speaking of costumes, **** the guy who thought 2 Luigi palletes that look identical would be good. **** the guy who made Pac-Man and Sonic alts. **** the guy who didn't want Shiny pokemon to be costumes
Personally, I don't mind Sonic's alts. Sonic being any color but blue (and yellow for Super Sonic) makes me think of a bad DeviantArt recolor. Pac-Man's are pretty bad though. Why not have his hat from Pac-Land?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I SEE A GIGGINOX CAUSE IT'S TIME FOR A FLEXING PARTY!
You know, I think Greninja might even surpass Lucario's popularity, at least in Smash anyway
Maybe, Lucario's mechanic isn't exactly that beloved whereas Greninja's is pretty popular and must be nerfed further.

Greninja's a starter so he's pretty relevant to the franchise, and I recall that Ash's Froakie evolves in the XY anime, so it seems like children who watch the show now would like him. And again, Starters. Something important about starters: So far a third of the starters have brand new spiffy evolutions, wonder how Smogon would react if Greninja gets a boost in that. He needs it, he was nerfed too hard in Smash like how Diddy was nerfed too hard in DKCRTF
It's pretty relevant, but it doesn't completely solidify you as a strong Pokemon, people aren't exactly praising those like Meganium despite being a starter. Granted, Greninja is far from Meganium level of ambivalence, but the point stands that being a starter doesn't always win you complete favor. As for the anime, it definitely could evolve and I would be surprised if it didn't, but we are talking about the same show that just had Ash dump a Goodra, so it's unfortunately not out of the realm of possibility that it doesn't evolve all of the way. Another possibility is they pull a May's Blaziken (who was also one of the most popular in its region) and have it evolve at the tail end of the region, hopefully that doesn't happen though.

Personally though, I hope that Greninja does return, he's my favorite Pokémon in the Smash games right now. I love his playstyle and it's great to have one of the Pokémon that I started out the region with make it into the game (I chose Blastoise instead of Charizard), it would be nice for him to stick around for other games.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
So I made a Jeff moveset, and in doing so, may have gotten too attached to a character that will never be playable.

Here you go anyway.

JEFF MOVESET V. 2.0

Height- Same as Assist Trophy
Weight- Near Ness and Lucas, maybe a *tiny* bit more
Fall Speed- Just a bit more than Ness
Walk speed- Average
Run speed- A few decimal points short of Ness
Jump Height- Missing Ness and Lucas' Enhanced Double Jump, but he does not suffer from their recovery inabilities. Other than that, around same as first jumps of the other Mother characters.

Notes- Calls his attacks like the other Mother characters. Voice is British (Winters IS supposedly in Europe) and just slightly lower pitched than Ness'. In this moveset, I invented for him "Palm shockers, which aid in some of his A attacks. These are smaller vices on his hands which emit short range electric pulses at will for melee attacks.

A- Strikes with an open palm, does electrical damage thanks to palm shockers.
AA- Follow up with other hand, again, using Palm shocker
AAA- Follows up with a pistol-whip using his Laser Gun
Ftilt- Swings Laser Gun forward
Utilt- Similar to Villager's up tilt, with his gun
Dtilt- A downward spike kick
Down Smash- Similar to Lucas', using the Laser Gun, but he swings back and shoots both sides
Forward Smash- Fires short range powerful Laser Blast
Up Smash- Fires Laser upward in an arc. Good range but low knockback
Nair- Spins around awkwardly. Decent damage, surprisingly
Fair- Vertical Pistol-whip slice
Bair- Backwards elbow jab
Uair- Thrusts palm upward with his palm shockers
Dair- Fires a small, but far travelling Laser Bolt
Grab- Reaches forward awkwardly with both arms
Pummel- Shocks opponent with the palm attachments
Fthrow- Barrage of Laser fire sending opponent forward
Dthrow- Forcefully jabs into opponent on ground with his palm-shockers. A powerful tool to his mains
Bthrow- Similar to F-throw but backwards
Uthrow- A two handed upward toss. Terrible knock back but great for follow ups.

B- BOTTLE ROCKET- Jeff charges a bottle rocket which fires immediately as soon as the button is released. The rocket fired into the air but homes in on opponent. Rocket damage, range, knock back, speed, and homing ability upgrades the more the button is held. The different forms of Rockets result in different calls from Jeff when he yells the attack name.

Side B- HEAVY BAZOOKA- Jeff takes a knee, pulling out the Heavy Bazooka. This weapon can be charged, at no charge the round falls straight to the ground, at full charge travels the length of Final Destination. The attack power does not change, but charging is still recommended because Jeff is not immune to the powerful effects of the explosion. The round has heavy gravity and falls quickly, making it an interesting off stage killer. Careful, however, because the weapon can overcharge and misfire.

UP B- GAIA BOOST- Fires the Gaia Beam below him. The force of the Beam pushes him upward. A powerful attack, but hard to land as an attack. Good vertical recovery, horizontal, not so much.

DOWN B- HP SUCKER- Shoots out a tether cord with decent range. If an enemy cones in contact, the HP sucker pulls them in and provides constant damage, healing Jeff proportionally. Essentially a tether grab of Nosferatu. The cord can also be used as a tether recovery!

FINAL SMASH- SKY RUNNER- Jeff pilots the Sky Runner around the skies and crashes it down, complete with a powerful, growing "BOOM!" Text effect that acts as a supercharged Smart Bomb.

Taunt 1- Buble Monkey appears and Jeff gives him a piece of gum. Bubble monkey blows a bubble and leavers.

Taunt 2- Jeff faces the screen and adjusts his glasses at the bridge of the nose while they glow white badassly.

Taunt 3- Jeff tinkers with his Laser Gun and chuckles sheepishly as he almost hits himself with it. This taunt can actually do a small amount of damage.

Victory 1- Looks down at an angle with his arms crossed pointing down as bottle rockets fly from behind him. Pose is an obvious reference

Victory 2- Tony is happily cheering next to him while he stands there a bit embarrassed by his friend's actions.

Victory 3- Does a mockup James Bond pose with his Laser Gun

Idle pose- stands with his hands at his hips, holding his laser gun. Idle animations include adjusting his glasses, fiddling with his palm shockers, and adjusting his tie, glancing around a bit nervously.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So I made a Jeff moveset, and in doing so, may have gotten too attached to a character that will never be playable.

Here you go anyway.

JEFF MOVESET V. 2.0

Height- Same as Assist Trophy
Weight- Near Ness and Lucas, maybe a *tiny* bit more
Fall Speed- Just a bit more than Ness
Walk speed- Average
Run speed- A few decimal points short of Ness
Jump Height- Missing Ness and Lucas' Enhanced Double Jump, but he does not suffer from their recovery inabilities. Other than that, around same as first jumps of the other Mother characters.

Notes- Calls his attacks like the other Mother characters. Voice is British (Winters IS supposedly in Europe) and just slightly lower pitched than Ness'. In this moveset, I invented for him "Palm shockers, which aid in some of his A attacks. These are smaller vices on his hands which emit short range electric pulses at will for melee attacks.

A- Strikes with an open palm, does electrical damage thanks to palm shockers.
AA- Follow up with other hand, again, using Palm shocker
AAA- Follows up with a pistol-whip using his Laser Gun
Ftilt- Swings Laser Gun forward
Utilt- Similar to Villager's up tilt, with his gun
Dtilt- A downward spike kick
Down Smash- Similar to Lucas', using the Laser Gun, but he swings back and shoots both sides
Forward Smash- Fires short range powerful Laser Blast
Up Smash- Fires Laser upward in an arc. Good range but low knockback
Nair- Spins around awkwardly. Decent damage, surprisingly
Fair- Vertical Pistol-whip slice
Bair- Backwards elbow jab
Uair- Thrusts palm upward with his palm shockers
Dair- Fires a small, but far travelling Laser Bolt
Grab- Reaches forward awkwardly with both arms
Pummel- Shocks opponent with the palm attachments
Fthrow- Barrage of Laser fire sending opponent forward
Dthrow- Forcefully jabs into opponent on ground with his palm-shockers. A powerful tool to his mains
Bthrow- Similar to F-throw but backwards
Uthrow- A two handed upward toss. Terrible knock back but great for follow ups.

B- BOTTLE ROCKET- Jeff charges a bottle rocket which fires immediately as soon as the button is released. The rocket fired into the air but homes in on opponent. Rocket damage, range, knock back, speed, and homing ability upgrades the more the button is held. The different forms of Rockets result in different calls from Jeff when he yells the attack name.

Side B- HEAVY BAZOOKA- Jeff takes a knee, pulling out the Heavy Bazooka. This weapon can be charged, at no charge the round falls straight to the ground, at full charge travels the length of Final Destination. The attack power does not change, but charging is still recommended because Jeff is not immune to the powerful effects of the explosion. The round has heavy gravity and falls quickly, making it an interesting off stage killer. Careful, however, because the weapon can overcharge and misfire.

UP B- GAIA BOOST- Fires the Gaia Beam below him. The force of the Beam pushes him upward. A powerful attack, but hard to land as an attack. Good vertical recovery, horizontal, not so much.

DOWN B- HP SUCKER- Shoots out a tether cord with decent range. If an enemy cones in contact, the HP sucker pulls them in and provides constant damage, healing Jeff proportionally. Essentially a tether grab of Nosferatu. The cord can also be used as a tether recovery!

FINAL SMASH- SKY RUNNER- Jeff pilots the Sky Runner around the skies and crashes it down, complete with a powerful, growing "BOOM!" Text effect that acts as a supercharged Smart Bomb.

Taunt 1- Buble Monkey appears and Jeff gives him a piece of gum. Bubble monkey blows a bubble and leavers.

Taunt 2- Jeff faces the screen and adjusts his glasses at the bridge of the nose while they glow white badassly.

Taunt 3- Jeff tinkers with his Laser Gun and chuckles sheepishly as he almost hits himself with it. This taunt can actually do a small amount of damage.

Victory 1- Looks down at an angle with his arms crossed pointing down as bottle rockets fly from behind him. Pose is an obvious reference

Victory 2- Tony is happily cheering next to him while he stands there a bit embarrassed by his friend's actions.

Victory 3- Does a mockup James Bond pose with his Laser Gun

Idle pose- stands with his hands at his hips, holding his laser gun. Idle animations include adjusting his glasses, fiddling with his palm shockers, and adjusting his tie, glancing around a bit nervously.
That's great! I would actually play this if it was a thing.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
If were somewhat on the topic of Smash 5, I expect either Robin or Lucina to get cut and the other one to stay.

Also I think Greninja's appearance in Smash 5 depends on how his popularity goes from now until Smash 5. Although he could randomly reappear because some veterans like R.O.B who know thought would come back came back.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If were somewhat on the topic of Smash 5, I expect either Robin or Lucina to get cut and the other one to stay.

Also I think Greninja's appearance in Smash 5 depends on how his popularity goes from now until Smash 5. Although he could randomly reappear because some veterans like R.O.B who know thought would come back came back.
There is absolutely no way in Naga's name that Robin would get cut.

None whatsoever.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm personally not that big of a fan of speculating cuts. Remember how almost everyone was super confident that Toon Link would go?

Boy was I glad they where wrong. :T

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If either were to get cut, it would be Lucina. Definitely not Robin.

You cut Robin, I'll cut you.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I wanted :toonlink:to go mainly because I was extremely :salt:about him taking:younglinkmelee:'s place on the roster. When :4tlink:came back to Smash 4, I became even more :salt:and I refused to play as the character unless I have to get his Classic/All-Star trophy or for any other completion reason.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Remember how Mewtwo was supposed to replace Lucario?
Oh man, that argument or the alternative *insert Gen 5/6 Pokemon* replaces Lucario weren't pleasant. I still remember arguing that Lucario had far more importance then people gave him credit for, it was extremely nice to go to the Miiverse post thread in January and see him in HD after so many doubted him.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
But what if they replace Robin with the latest Avatar everytime?
They didn't replace Marth with Ike.

They didn't replace Charizard with Greninja.

They didn't replace Ganondorf with Demise.

They didn't replace Ness with Lucas.

Robin is a very distinctive and well-received characters, replacing them with another character just because they happen be the Avatar figure of a new game would be utterly cynical and totally pointless.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Like how they replaced Ike with the latest protagonist?

Like how they replaced Lucario with a brand new Pokemon?
They didn't replace Marth with Ike.

They didn't replace Charizard with Greninja.

They didn't replace Ganondorf with Demise.

They didn't replace Ness with Lucas.

Robin is a very distinctive and well-received characters, replacing them with another character just because they happen be the Avatar figure of a new game would be utterly cynical and totally pointless.
Well it's more the idea that those people are established characters while Robin is the Customizable avatar character,but you're right it does sound silly

What doesn't sound silly regrading Robin though is a "Hood-Up" Alt which then should have been used for the Amiibo so I could at least PRETEND It's possible to get a Female Robin Amiibo (And a Robin Amiibo at all....)

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well it's more the idea that those people are established characters while Robin is the Customizable avatar character,but you're right it does sound silly

What doesn't sound silly regrading Robin though is a "Hood-Up" Alt which then should have been used for the Amiibo so I could at least PRETEND It's possible to get a Female Robin Amiibo (And a Robin Amiibo at all....)
Hooded Robin would be amazing.

plz sakurai ;w;

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah... Despite being customizable, Robin is very much an established character with a distinct personality and history. Calling him/her an "avatar" is incorrect. The likes of Mario and Link are closer to avatars than Robin is.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't really see either of them getting cut.

Or at least. I don't see Sakurai cutting either of them deliberately.

I don't see Robin getting replaced by anyone and Lucina has a big fanbase over at Japan last I heard. So I can see her at least being low priority. (or potential DLC)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Robin is defiantly a lock for Smash 5 seeing as how his moveset is too unique to be removed (the only Smash FE character to utilize something other than a sword and has cool magic attacks). Should Roy come back with a significantly decloned moveset, he'll also be a lock for the next game. Ike I also consider a lock seeing as how he's really unique as a sword user. Marth is the face of FE and will never be cut. Lucina is the only FE character that's at risk of being cut from Smash 5 unless she gets an overhaul to her moveset.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I see Lucina getting cut going forward. Not Robin though.

Clones are low priority, Lucina will be old news, there are already three other FE characters who will likely get much higher priority, and there will be new FEs to promote.

I also see Dark Pit getting cut.

As a whole I think characters will be more expendable what with the fact that the focus has shifted to recency and the roster is starting to push the limits for fighting games. Well, most fighting games.

But a lot of them will probably be brought back as DLC afterwards so whatever.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
So if we're gonna talk about Pokemon, then I want to see Hawlucha, Gengar, or Heracross

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The only thing I can see happening with Robin is maybe updating Robin's design to future Tactician classes (if they come back), or use future Avatar's as alts. That's about it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Gardevoir.

Anything else is superfluous.
Didn't you suggest Galvantula earlier though?

Anyway. The Pokémon Newcomers I would pick are: Growlithe (Favorite Pokémon bias), Ampharos, Spinda (cause it'd be hilarious), Breloom, Grumpig (He would be funny too), Darkrai, Garbador (cause I want to see this thing's running animation),

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Clones are low priority, Lucina will be old news, there are already three other FE characters who will likely get much higher priority, and there will be new FEs to promote.

As a whole I think characters will be more expendable what with the fact that the focus has shifted to recency and the roster is starting to push the limits for fighting games. Well, most fighting games.

I dunno, even as clones go Lucina's super easy to do.
They barely had to animate anything different and she has so very few differences that if they want a very last second person to pad out the roster a bit more then she is definitely the one to go for

Like seriously you can count the differences on your hand, Didn't even bother at least giving the Final Smash an Awakening flare, godamn she feels lazy ...where was I going with this?

Deathcarter

Smash Lord

I feel the opposite. I think that we'll just get less newcomers going forward and more focus/advertisement will go into other content aside from the roster. Maybe not something stupidly time consuming like the Subspace Emissary again but still some big mode or two they can advertise the hell out of.

I feel the opposite. I think that we'll just get less newcomers going forward and more focus/advertisement will go into other content aside from the roster. Maybe not something stupidly time consuming like the Subspace Emissary again but still some big mode or two they can advertise the hell out of.
The problem is that characters are the biggest selling point. By a HUGE margin. Sonic, mega man, villager etc etc are all the big things used to sell because the whole point of this game is a bunch of characyers fighting. It would be a huge shift to go from almost no focus on modes beacuse nearly all of it goes into character reveals to selling modes. Especially after the current modes for smash 4 are considered so. . . Lackluster.

Smash hype feeds on newcomers

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The problem is that characters are the biggest selling point. By a HUGE margin. Sonic, mega man, villager etc etc are all the big things used to sell because the whole point of this game is a bunch of characyers fighting. It would be a huge shift to go from almost no focus on modes beacuse nearly all of it goes into character reveals to selling modes. Especially after the current modes for smash 4 are considered so. . . Lackluster.

Smash hype feeds on newcomers
Every mode in smash that isn't Event Match, Classic, or All Star, or Adventure is widely criticized. The Subspace Emissary is hated for not being Melee's Adventure mode, Smash Run receives hate (Dunno why.), And Smash Tour is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom