• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's not such a bad thing when you consider the fact that Roy is probably the only FE character that's going to be DLC and that Lucina was a very easy to make clone in the game. LoZ is bound to get another rep somehow. People need to stop with that rhetoric,

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah at this point, I don't think Sakurai is as concerned with this whole repping business as the fanbase itself is....

Oh well, I do think that a new Zelda character for DLC isn't outside of the realm of possibility though..

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Impa has a good chance of being in the game IMO. If not then maybe Young Link (as a semi-clone).

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
The funny thing about Fire Emblem being "overrepresented" is that I'm 100% sure that its pretty much just Lucina. I doubt would people really be crying about over representation if she had remained an alt.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't have much faith in a Zelda newcomer at this point honestly.
I agree. Unless somehow Zelda Wii U starts bringing back major characters from other games (or actually brings Young Impa back again and actually differentiates her from Sheik other than "lolninja").

Burruni

Smash Hero
I agree. Unless somehow Zelda Wii U starts bringing back major characters from other games (or actually brings Young Impa back again and actually differentiates her from Sheik other than "lolninja").
Or if the final boss is a 3D Full Arsenal WizPig Ganon.

You don't know how much I'd relish that.

Namely because haven't gotten a true 3D Ganon fight period. ALBW was 2.5 D and FSA and still sprites. OoT and TP were different interpretations of Ganon but none had that Magical King of Porkness awe.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Actually I imagine Impa more resembling the classic fighting game's monk archetype. She could be significantly slower than Sheik for example, and being far more defensive. The monk archetype suits her role of being a Sage, and her dual role in Skyward Sword for being an old woman yet a time traveling warrior at the same time. Combine it with magic from Skyward Sword, like the barrier, give her Timeshift Stones / Orbs to make her manipulate time, give her that magical orb projectile attack, and a move representing the Sheikah tribe maybe the Deku Nuts. And I believe we have a solid character. If you wanna make her more exciting, and aren't looking for Standard Monk Ninja W/ Magickz And Shields, make her use her magic to summon her weapons from Hyrule Warriors but in their respective elements. Water for the Giant Blade, Fire for Naginata.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Yeah at this point, I don't think Sakurai is as concerned with this whole repping business as the fanbase itself is....

Oh well, I do think that a new Zelda character for DLC isn't outside of the realm of possibility though..
I'm in agreement, I don't think Sakurai is going to adhere to the whole "reps" thing. If he picks a character, it'll be because the fans wanted them and they appealed to him, not for the sake of balance.

mfw Apotheosis Anna has the skill "Rightful God"

KNEEL BEFORE YOUR QUEEN.
Anna confirmed to be the RNG Goddess Queen.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Or if the final boss is a 3D Full Arsenal WizPig Ganon.

You don't know how much I'd relish that.

Namely because haven't gotten a true 3D Ganon fight period. ALBW was 2.5 D and FSA and still sprites. OoT and TP were different interpretations of Ganon but none had that Magical King of Porkness awe.
No, I disagree. I see OOT as a proper reinvention of classic Pig Ganon to actually make him more epic looking in nature. Yeah, classic Ganon looks way different, but so do Link and Zelda.

OOT went for a much more realistic design approach. I also highly doubt Ganon would be considered at this point...

Burruni

Smash Hero
No, I disagree. I see OOT as a proper reinvention of classic Pig Ganon to actually make him more epic looking in nature. Yeah, classic Ganon looks way different, but so do Link and Zelda.

OOT went for a much more realistic design approach. I also highly doubt Ganon would be considered at this point...
Doubting that the classic kind of Ganon would be considered for a modern Zelda title? He was brought back for the very last one used.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In the Impa thread we discussed wishlists for Zelda Wii U, and @Bobert77 had an interessting idea regarding Ganondorf / Ganon. What if he slowly but surely as the story progresses, Ganondorf would start to lose himself due to the hatred / curse of Demise, exposure to the Triforce of Power, or a combination of both would start to lose himself and slowly dehumanise? Ganon needs to have his own origins explained as well, not just being an expy of Demise. You'd fight him throughout the story a couple of times as Ganondorf, but eventually he starts to become more beast like- thus far more powerful. He could first look like a more humanoid OoT Ganon once he starts dehumanising, but slowly turns into the terrible beast that is Ganon. Make it tragic and dramatic. The series was already moving to this direction in Skyward Sword with Ghirahim and The Imprisoned, so I can only see them expanding it with this. Am also thinking that both Sheik and Impa might serve a big role in Zelda Wii U somehow.

Burruni

Smash Hero
In the Impa thread we discussed wishlists for Zelda Wii U, and @Bobert77 had an interessting idea regarding Ganondorf / Ganon. What if he slowly but surely as the story progresses, Ganondorf would start to lose himself due to the hatred / curse of Demise, exposure to the Triforce of Power, or a combination of both would start to lose himself and slowly dehumanise? Ganon needs to have his own origins explained as well, not just being an expy of Demise. You'd fight him throughout the story a couple of times as Ganondorf, but eventually he starts to become more beast like- thus far more powerful. He could first look like a more humanoid OoT Ganon once he starts dehumanising, but slowly turns into the terrible beast that is Ganon. Make it tragic and dramatic. The series was already moving to this direction in Skyward Sword with Ghirahim and The Imprisoned, so I can only see them expanding it with this. Am also thinking that both Sheik and Impa might serve a big role in Zelda Wii U somehow.
Ganondorf's origin story is about how his entire race of people are essentially outcasts in Hyrulian culture limited to a small settlement on the outskirts of the desert and thus have become very isolationist. As the born King of his people, Ganondorf wanted to bring his people to a new order using a wish granted by the Triforce and knew the Royal Family was the key to access it. When he got a hold of the Triforce, his was considered selfish... evil and thus separated from his touch. He was given absolute power and it corrupted absolutely. Wind Waker Ganondorf is him now somber after centuries locked away in the Sacred Realm now bent solely to reunite the tri force and not leave the plan that ended up costing his entire race everything go unfinished... one wish that could bring them all back. Twilight Princess Ganondorf is him scornful, bitter, furious after the execution of the Gerudo with him last for his plot to overthrow the Hyrulian government and when able to survive being impaled by the Sage's Sword he awakens to the power that makes him capable to exact such revenge.

THERE is your Ganon Canon.

Edit: If anything, Ganondorf was CURSED by Demise's lingering resentment into the Triforce rejecting him, in hindsight. That is, with retconning that entire thing into the explaination.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Ganondorf's origin story is about how his entire race of people are essentially outcasts in Hyrulian culture limited to a small settlement on the outskirts of the desert and thus have become very isolationist. As the born King of his people, Ganondorf wanted to bring his people to a new order using a wish granted by the Triforce and knew the Royal Family was the key to access it. When he got a hold of the Triforce, his was considered selfish... evil and thus separated from his touch. He was given absolute power and it corrupted absolutely. Wind Waker Ganondorf is him now somber after centuries locked away in the Sacred Realm now bent solely to reunite the tri force and not leave the plan that ended up costing his entire race everything go unfinished... one wish that could bring them all back. Twilight Princess Ganondorf is him scornful, bitter, furious after the execution of the Gerudo with him last for his plot to overthrow the Hyrulian government and when able to survive being impaled by the Sage's Sword he awakens to the power that makes him capable to exact such revenge.

THERE is your Ganon Canon.
That's how it oughta be. None of this horse**** about 'reincarnation' or 'destiny'. That stupid explanation that Skyward Sword gave is the absolute lowest point in the entire Zelda series for me.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just thought we needed a good, ingame explanation to where exactly Ganondorf goes from frustrated, to straight up evil. In Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess he already had mostly lost his morals to a lust for power. How about we get to see exactly how Ganondorf finally makes the decision to just screw it all, and aim for total dominion? Or give a good explanation to the whole reincarnation thing, because Demise himself has never returned despite being the origin of evil, but Ganon has. Twilight Princess talked about a Dark Tribe, aiming to gain power through forbidden magic. Maybe Ganondorf could be the first one to actually obtain this power, thus corrupting him?

Burruni

Smash Hero
I just thought we needed a good, ingame explanation to where exactly Ganondorf goes from frustrated, to straight up evil. In Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess he already had mostly lost his morals to a lust for power. How about we get to see exactly how Ganondorf finally makes the decision to just screw it all, and aim for total dominion? Or give a good explanation to the whole reincarnation thing, because Demise himself has never returned despite being the origin of evil, but Ganon has. Twilight Princess talked about a Dark Tribe, aiming to gain power through forbidden magic. Maybe Ganondorf could be the first one to actually obtain this power, thus corrupting him?
Don't get me wrong. I'm a big Ganon(dorf) fan but I'm not sure if that can exactly work because it would basically half to be of another Link acting in the 7 year gap that the master sword was drawn in Ocarina of Time... which doesn't fit with the kind of era of time that seems to be present in Z-U.

It's definitely a game I'm looking forward to more details about.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Zelda Wii U looks like it could take place pre-OoT IMO. I wouldn't be suprised if it was a game that takes place a generation after SS.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'd expect that it'd be between Skyward Sword and Minish Cap.

Ruining this chance at a 3D Ganon Fight

But what I find a bit worrying is how we've not really seen anything when it comes to a town or any real NPCs for the game. I personally am not that fond of Sandbox games because it's often a wide open area of sporadically placed settlements that have importance and I don't want that out of Z-U. I could handle the Great Sea because... it seems fine when it's an ocean like that but for example TP's hyrule field was more a task to endure than something to mindlessly coast through.

I just really hope it doesn't end up being Majora's Mask tier reliant on the bow.

Edit: BACK on the Smash topic...

Are there any stages you'd like added to better fill out a series?

Honestly I'd love to see 64 Saffron City to return. I will always feel like that is :4jigglypuff:'s home stage.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So Speed has been leaving images of the Smash invitation letters on the Shantae, K Rool, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Roy, Ryu, and Wolf character support threads.

Hmm...

Burruni

Smash Hero
So Speed has been leaving images of the Smash invitation letters on the Shantae, K Rool, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, Roy, Ryu, and Wolf character support threads.

Hmm...
Unless Speed has had any history whatever in association with succesful leaks or data mining, please disregard the entire act because it's just dropping an image with no explanation on the biggest upcoming DLC characters allowed on the main site.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Say, what do you people think about the prospect of 3rd party DLC?
Do you think it's a real possibility, do you think it's rather unlikely or whatever. I'm just a lil' curious about the opinions out there.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218

Hmm...
At very least, means "good luck" for all these characters;.. not bad at all, I welcome this act. =P

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Do you think it's a real possibility, do you think it's rather unlikely or whatever. I'm just a lil' curious about the opinions out there.
Aside from Ryu (who seems to have been decided before the ballot) I think we'll get at least one third party DLC.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Because it's a new IP that Nintendo is advertising from EMD or whatever it was called. Still salty how Splatoon gets all the hype while W101, Starfy's first game outside Japan and Dillon get nothing
I think personally think Dillon deserves to get in more than Inkling. Don't get me wrong I think Splatoon looks great, but I also believe it's not ready for a smash representative.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ryu is the only one we'll be seeing. And theory is that is because it was part of Capcom shoving him on Nintendo in exchange for allowing the usage of Megaman.

Few other character can try to tote that kind of Star Power and they would all be from other companies who would have entire contracting deals and payments to get it to happen. Snake was a hopeful flare shut out by Konami's entire debacles as of late.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Aside from Ryu (who seems to have been decided before the ballot) I think we'll get at least one third party DLC.
I believe the contenders for that last spot would be Snake, Bomberman, Rayman, and Banjo.
I'd expect that it'd be between Skyward Sword and Minish Cap.

Ruining this chance at a 3D Ganon Fight

But what I find a bit worrying is how we've not really seen anything when it comes to a town or any real NPCs for the game. I personally am not that fond of Sandbox games because it's often a wide open area of sporadically placed settlements that have importance and I don't want that out of Z-U. I could handle the Great Sea because... it seems fine when it's an ocean like that but for example TP's hyrule field was more a task to endure than something to mindlessly coast through.

I just really hope it doesn't end up being Majora's Mask tier reliant on the bow.

Edit: BACK on the Smash topic...

Are there any stages you'd like added to better fill out a series?

Honestly I'd love to see 64 Saffron City to return. I will always feel like that is :4jigglypuff:'s home stage.
As much as I think it won't happen, I really want a Wii U stage from Paper Mario TTYD. The TTYD section of the 3DS stage is already my favorite section of that stage and I think the game is deserving of a DLC stage.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

Hmm...
He's a part of the Illuminati.

Or maybe he's just telling us good luck on getting our characters in the game. If not then he's a secret leaker that knows all the characters that will be made as DLC.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I believe the contenders for that last spot would be Snake, Bomberman, Rayman, and Banjo.

As much as I think it won't happen, I really want a Wii U stage from Paper Mario TTYD. The TTYD section of the 3DS stage is already my favorite section of that stage and I think the game is deserving of a DLC stage.
I don;t necessarily think it won't happen. Though, if it happens, paper Mario chances are high and honestly, I more sees it that Paper Mario confirmed playable and stage at the same time.

It's what I thought before, but honestly, with how much this idea is liked, I don;t see why it has no chances....

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Don't get me wrong. I'm a big Ganon(dorf) fan but I'm not sure if that can exactly work because it would basically half to be of another Link acting in the 7 year gap that the master sword was drawn in Ocarina of Time... which doesn't fit with the kind of era of time that seems to be present in Z-U.

It's definitely a game I'm looking forward to more details about.
No it wouldn't have to take place in the gap. It'd just have to take place right before Ocarina of Time, focusing on the Hero of Time's knight father during the Hyrulean Civil War.

Zelda Wii U looks like it could take place pre-OoT IMO. I wouldn't be suprised if it was a game that takes place a generation after SS.
In all honesty, I think its between OOT/MM and TP. Dat Great Bridge of Hylia.

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
What I think about 3rd party DLC is that it's the prospect that made fans stop asking for Nintendo characters in the game.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So everyone, what semi clone characters (by which I mean like :4lucas:and:wolf:) would you enjoy seeing in SMash 4 as DLC? I personally would like to see the following...
Dixie (Base Diddy,Similar specials save UP B (Hair propeller), slower, different throws, down tilt, F Smash, D Smash, Uair, Nair, and Jab, has greater air speed and hover)
Impa (Base Shiek, Different jab, tilts, F smash, Dair, Similar specials, save Side B (which borrows Reflect Barrier due to Skyward Sword cutscene), slower yet still above average speed, More defensive, Punishes opponents for mistakes)
:pichumelee:: (I know some people hate him, but you can make him work. Speed him up, make less of his attacks damage himself (I would only make Fair, Dair, Fsmash, Neutral B, Side B, and Down B hurt himself), and make his damage output better, and possibly give him a few unique animations)

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
I came here on Sunday asking if anyone's got a photoshoped image of Smash 4's roster with all the cut veterans put back in.
I'm asking again, does anybody have anything like this lying around?

:4mario::4luigi::4peach::4bowser::4yoshi::rosalina::4bowserjr::4wario::4gaw:
:4dk::4diddy::4link::4zelda::4sheik::4ganondorf::4tlink::4samus::4zss:
:4pit::4palutena::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight::4littlemac:
:4fox::4falco::4pikachu::4charizard::4lucario::4jigglypuff::4greninja::4duckhunt::4rob:
:4ness::4falcon::4villager::4olimar::4wiifit::4drmario::4darkpit::4lucina::4shulk:
:4pacman::4megaman::4sonic::4mewtwo::4lucas::roymelee::squirtle::ivysaur::wolf:
:popo: :pichumelee::younglinkmelee::snake::4mii::?:

It'd be a roster with just these characters on it.

Last edited:

PK_Knee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamernerd123
That's how it oughta be. None of this horse**** about 'reincarnation' or 'destiny'. That stupid explanation that Skyward Sword gave is the absolute lowest point in the entire Zelda series for me.
I disagree, SS was one of the best Zelda games. the motion controls were really fun, the graphics were perfect, and the story was interesting.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I disagree, SS was one of the best Zelda games. the motion controls were really fun, the graphics were perfect, and the story was interesting.
He was specifically talking about how Skyward Sword said "Ganondorf will always be evil no matter what" when in Wind Waker he seemed to try and help the Gerudo die, it means that any and all personality Ganondorf had could be rendered moot

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
So everyone, what semi clone characters (by which I mean like :4lucas:and:wolf:) would you enjoy seeing in SMash 4 as DLC? I personally would like to see the following...
Dixie (Base Diddy,Similar specials save UP B (Hair propeller), slower, different throws, down tilt, F Smash, D Smash, Uair, Nair, and Jab, has greater air speed and hover)
Impa (Base Shiek, Different jab, tilts, F smash, Dair, Similar specials, save Side B (which borrows Reflect Barrier due to Skyward Sword cutscene), slower yet still above average speed, More defensive, Punishes opponents for mistakes)
:pichumelee:: (I know some people hate him, but you can make him work. Speed him up, make less of his attacks damage himself (I would only make Fair, Dair, Fsmash, Neutral B, Side B, and Down B hurt himself), and make his damage output better, and possibly give him a few unique animations)
I thought of an idea for Pichu that gives him a Lucario-like gimmick of him doing more damage when he's at high percents in addition to doing damage to himself giving him extra attack power when he's in danger of being KO'd. That way, he would have the most volatile playstyle of all the characters in Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom