• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As much as I hate Chrom and danced gleefully when he got burned, there is no denying this is a fact. Robin was indeed the better choice but that's rather harsh to do
I never hated Chrom. I just hated the fact that he was so "guaranteed" to happen and it was inevitable, especially those who thought he'd replace Ike (or anyone would replace Ike for that matter).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I never hated Chrom. I just hated the fact that he was so "guaranteed" to happen and it was inevitable, especially those who thought he'd replace Ike (or anyone would replace Ike for that matter).
I hate how people thought Ike would be replaced, Roy was worked on before Brawl came out not to mention Ike wasn't a clone character

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This one of my major reasons why. Plus Chrom stop being relevant to the plot after Gangrel when rest of the game was about Robin.

Then there's the fact that he's boring, I like the guy but he's so dull. Atleast Robin is a nerdy tactician with a snarky/cocky streak within him/her and the true main character.

Plus a unique moveset which brings the essence of Fire Emblem from micro-management of weapons and times, using them strategically and having a diverse moveset that isn't sword fighter with a counter.

PK_Knee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamernerd123
I absolutely hate the 'would be a clone' argument, if it wasn't clear enough I'm a Chrom detractor yet I can see him having a unique moveset, his skills being specials for instance. While he is rather similar to Ike in terms of physique, that means nothing
Sakurai said that he didn't add Chrom because he would be another stock sword wielder.... I don't know why he added Lucina then, but whatever.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was against Chrom because I was against everything Gematsu. In a hindsight, I'd still enjoy Chrom moreso than the likes of: :4villager::4wiifit::4pacman::4darkpit::4drmario:.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sakurai said that he didn't add Chrom because he would be another stock sword wielder.... I don't know why he added Lucina then, but whatever.
He said that Robin was a more unique choice, Lucina was added very late in development and was intended as a costume.
Robin's weapon degradation means nothing now actually as FE If removes that

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's just people arbitrarily assuming there's a pattern when there isn't one. It's why they're almost always wrong about absolutely everything.
You couldn't really pull a pattern between three games anyway. Especially when we experienced cuts only with one game.

People did jump the gun expecting Lucario, Ike and Toon Link (Especially Toon Link) to be cut. just because their "predecessors" (and I'm saying that loosely) where cut before (Especially when two of them simply didn't make it due to time constraints).

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I was against Chrom because I was against everything Gematsu. In a hindsight, I'd still enjoy Chrom moreso than the likes of: :4villager::4wiifit::4pacman::4darkpit::4drmario:.

:4wiifit:

Hey, you leave my girls out of this, you crazy monkey or we'll be fighting

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, that leak damn near ruined speculating the roster for me.
Then Robin came along and...well, I don't need to retell that story.
Of course, the E3 leak actually did ruin speculating the roster.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The fact that Chrom had a longsword instead of the rapier that Marth uses or the Greatsword of Ike gave potential of a unique sword fighting style plus the fact that he uses the Fire Emblem as an actual shield...

Access to lances as a possbility...

Really the things keeping him similar to Ike is bodyshape (FE9 Ike, not FE10 Ike), Blue Hair (which ironically is more rare in Fire Emblem than Smash would have you believe) and Aether as a skill.

I'm glad Robin was chosen over Chrom because he was a more unique protagonist and fighter.

However, Chrom got more abuse than any other fighter in his adaptation because he didn't really have grounds to be a clone.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I was against Gematsu because of the Chorus Kids, admittedly. :4pacman:'s design and :4robinm:'s reveal completely healed any wounds though.

As for the ESRB leak, seeing :4drmario: made me REALLY hope that it was true, lol. I enjoyed Doc's inclusion as much as the newcomers. :p

:231:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You know, considering how Lucina and Dark Pit feel too similar, anyone else hope they get different movesets next time? I really hoped Claws would be represented in Smash, but nope, Sakubias confirmed fake
I'm not entirely sure they'll be in "next time".
If they are, well first off, I'll actually be angry if Dark Pit gets in a second game as a unique character, as not only would Medusa, Viridi, Hades or even Phosphora warrant a unique moveset more than him, but unless Uprising gets a sequel he doesn't deserve it.
But yeah if Lucina gets in "Smash 5" I hope she's a semi-clone. At least change the specials and her idle pose.

Burruni

Smash Hero
You know, considering how Lucina and Dark Pit feel too similar, anyone else hope they get different movesets next time? I really hoped Claws would be represented in Smash, but nope, Sakubias confirmed fake
Claws for some tilts and his dash attack.
Grabs / Throws with a Palm akin to :4mewtwo:'s.

Down B being a Cannon with :4miigun:'s artilery shot.

Neutral B to Dark Pit staff as a :4mewtwo::4lucario::4samus: move.

That's how you "fix" DP.

Lucina I really would prefer to just become an alt costume. To make her more unique, actually let her take Chrom's swordfighting style and throw in some lancework.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I was against Gematsu because of the Chorus Kids, admittedly. :4pacman:'s design and :4robinm:'s reveal completely healed any wounds though.

As for the ESRB leak, seeing :4drmario: made me REALLY hope that it was true, lol. I enjoyed Doc's inclusion as much as the newcomers. :p

:231:
No ever liked Gemastu because of the Chorus Kids, even me. Those guys got arrogant HARD.

ESRB only irked me because of:4bowserjr:&:4darkpit:. Former because him and the Koopalings sucked except for Morton, Roy and Iggy Pop Koopa

PK_Knee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamernerd123
I'm not entirely sure they'll be in "next time".
If they are, well first off, I'll actually be angry if Dark Pit gets in a second game as a unique character, as not only would Medusa, Viridi, Hades or even Phosphora warrant a unique moveset more than him, but unless Uprising gets a sequel he doesn't deserve it.
But yeah if Lucina gets in "Smash 5" I hope she's a semi-clone. At least change the specials and her idle pose.
There is so much potential for Dark Pit. there was like 9 classes of weapons, they couldn't use at least 2?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They where short on time, they didn't really bother to even change their idle animations.... Dr.Mario seems to have gotten the most work done though. Then again, they most likely borrowed assets from both Mario and Luigi for him....

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why is there so much salt whenever Fire Emblem is brought up?
Because enough salt can put out fire.
I want to actually applaud Dr. Mario for at least feeling different, Dark Pit has one move that's different, final smash, and Lucina loses tipper making her a much weaker Marth
Yeah, even as clones Lucina and Dark Pit are really lacking...they don't even have different customs.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Even if :4lucina:and :4darkpit: were clones they could have at least swapped customs and defaults
Minor things like that would've made them a bit more exciting at least
I'm not saying the big ones like give Lucina the Windy Thing Stab, Just the minor things like the counter that throws opponents back and Dark Pit get the damaging ^B because I can totally seeing ramming head first into someone just to get them out the way

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Because only plebby casuals dislike FE!
*hides*
You ain't lying. Plus here's the real reason

People still think it's 2008 where FE was super niche and F-Zero is relevant, I hate to say but look at it now with both franchises as of right now

Burruni

Smash Hero
Because it's a series that historically was niche and financially suffered before Awakening as a franchise that almost got cancelled from any continuation.

This series, by the time DLC comes through, will have 5 characters. This number is only topped in a series by Pokemon and Mario and is tied only by Zelda. Meanwhile some series since the N64 Smash that have big-name requests (Ridley, King K. Rool, Dixie) are kept at 2 characters each.

Of these 5, two are (different tiers of) clones of another character.

As a series that almost always gets a full new cast of characters with each titles, there is going to be a fairly lengthy list of characters that people want in the game that won't get as much as a trophy... one example being Anna, who has been in 12 of the 13 games and is a favorite of the developers.

That is the cynic point of view. I'm a big fan of the series.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I haven't played Awakening in ages but I remember Anna being a thief with daggers, can anyone correct me? That's got enough to work with
She's defaultly the Trickster Class, a promotion of theives who also have the ability to use Staves which is basically supportive magic. Her official art always had her toting the Levin Sword, as it was a blade who uses the Magic Stat to judge strength. Only Tricksters, Dark Knights (Mounted Magicians), and the Tactician class limited to Robin really had stat growths to use this.

However, Anna is the name given to all the identical sisters across MANY generations in the Fire Emblem timeline who have often been guides and shopkeeps across the series with Awakening being the first to have an Anna playable.

The ultimate challenge of Awakening, the final dlc map : Apotheosis had a special boss which is by far the hardest boss of the entire series.

AN ANNA. The "Merchant" Class with maxed stats, an over powered combination of skills, and two lances reinforced to stupid power (A Spear, which is ranged, and a Brave Lance, which strikes twice in a turn).

Edit: There was actually a theory back in FE9 that the Black Knight was going be an Anna.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Because it's a series that historically was niche and financially suffered before Awakening as a franchise that almost got cancelled from any continuation.

This series, by the time DLC comes through, will have 5 characters. This number is only topped in a series by Pokemon and Mario and is tied only by Zelda. Meanwhile some series since the N64 Smash that have big-name requests (Ridley, King K. Rool, Dixie) are kept at 2 characters each.

Of these 5, two are (different tiers of) clones of another character.

As a series that almost always gets a full new cast of characters with each titles, there is going to be a fairly lengthy list of characters that people want in the game that won't get as much as a trophy... one example being Anna, who has been in 12 of the 13 games and is a favorite of the developers.

That is the cynic point of view. I'm a big fan of the series.
It's not cynical, it's just the harsh reality that people still have the mindset of things. It's one of the reasons Shulk got so much s***.

Compared to me who's a big Punch Out fan, I understand why my series is small but damn popular but it's popularity is in one Country and due to featuring Mike Tyson name on the cover for the nostalgia to build up

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
She's defaultly the Trickster Class, a promotion of theives who also have the ability to use Staves which is basically supportive magic. Her official art always had her toting the Levin Sword, as it was a blade who uses the Magic Stat to judge strength. Only Tricksters, Dark Knights (Mounted Magicians), and the Tactician class limited to Robin really had stat growths to use this.

However, Anna is the name given to all the identical sisters across MANY generations in the Fire Emblem timeline who have often been guides and shopkeeps across the series with Awakening being the first to have an Anna playable.

The ultimate challenge of Awakening, the final dlc map : Apotheosis had a special boss which is by far the hardest boss of the entire series.

AN ANNA. The "Merchant" Class with maxed stats, an over powered combination of skills, and two lances reinforced to stupid power (A Spear, which is ranged, and a Brave Lance, which strikes twice in a turn).
I knew a bit of this but thanks for doing this for those uninformed! Anna really has the most potential out of most FE characters as she/they uses multiple different weapons

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Anna would be awesome as a new Fire Emblem character. A shame she's most likely just a pipe dream.... And the Smash Bros fanbase would probably go even more bonkers over another Fire Emblem character..... :T

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Anyone claiming a character got treated worse then Chrom is mistaken :p
The difference is Chrom had a good chance of being playable and was instead replaced by someone who's much more unique then him as well as a sword fighter that had more personality than him along with a unique backstory.

With Waluigi, Sakurai was never going to put him in the game at all.

I'm hoping they get decloned (to whatever extent that might be) going in to Smash 5. If not, just make them alts for Marth/Pit.

IMO, Doc was the best inclusion out of the 3 clones. Him being in the game made perfect sense seeing as Mario was changed up since Melee so Doc would not only be a semi-clone but also give players a chance to use Mario's old moveset.

Because "ZOMG 2 MANY FE CHARACTERS!!!" :estatic::estatic::estatic::estatic::estatic:. That's why.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"FE having as many characters as Zelda is not right !"

Reactionaries much ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom