• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I was personally a big fan of the GBA Advance Wars games. The DS ones not so much.

Does IS try to ignore AW? Or do they just not want someone from that series to be playable in Smash?
It's moreso the fact that they haven't touched it since the mid-DS era. Since then their focus was funneled into Fire Emblem, Paper Mario (sticker STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR), and their attempt of a new IP... Code S.T.E.A.M.

Edit: TL;DR - It's neglected, not ignored.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Mine is:

1.Advance Wars
Because it's not fair that the sister series. of FE that was one of the reasons it came to the west is getting ignored

2.Sin & Punishment
Bias but damn, a series this awesome would work in Smash and we need more Gunner characters.

3.Fossil Fighters
I feel like there's a lot to pull from and it has that Saturday Morning Cartoon feel.

4.The Wonderful 101
Sentai/Power Rangers stuff are awesome and worth every single hype for it

5.Golden Sun
I think it can be worth it.

Rhythm Heaven, while big named, I don't really see a character working and should be represented by a stage with its songs insanity of its minigames. Splatoon is too new and would be great in Smash 5 for hype along with Codename Steam and Illusionary #FE.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How come every time a character doesn't get into Smash their fans think Nintendo is conspiring against them?
It's just how a lot of fanbases tend to act, not just the Smash Bros fanbase. They see their favourite character getting neglected for sometime, they start wondering why, and sometimes they assume the worst of it..... Especially when the creators or the series hardly ever mention them again...

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How come every time a character doesn't get into Smash their fans think Nintendo is conspiring against them?
Because Sakurai didn't give me Impa, Isaac, King K.Rool or Dixie Kong. On top of that, he made the Miis, PacMan and Dark Pit playable, 3 characters I was specifically against getting in. On top of that, he separated Zelda from Sheik, but gave Sheik her own spot and revamped her moveset instead of just y'know, giving the spot to Impa.

THIS IS CLEARLY SOME ANTI-ME AGENDA BY SAKURAI! HE DID THIS ALL TO SPITE ME, BUT MADE UP FOR IT BY MAKING DIDDY OP TILL THE NEXT PATCH, WHICH HE ONLY DID TO MAKE ME BUY THE GAME, WHICH I DIDN'T DO IN THE END- AND NOW HE NERFED DIDDY BECAUSE OF THAT DECISION! AND MADE SHEIK BETTER THAN DIDDY BECAUSE OF IT, MAKING SHEIK THE ONLY ACTUAL DIDDY- COUNTER.

But don't worry, he'll make it up for me with King K.Rool, Impa, Isaac, and Dixie Kong. Me and Sakurai got this Love-Hate sort of relationship going on. He'll eventually ship me both games and systems for free to though. So no worries.

:denzel:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It's moreso the fact that they haven't touched it since the mid-DS era. Since then their focus was funneled into Fire Emblem, Paper Mario (sticker STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR), and their attempt of a new IP... Code S.T.E.A.M.

Edit: TL;DR - It's neglected, not ignored.
I'm guessing IS just lost interest in the series then. It's a shame because the series was really enjoyable and it's overall one of Nintendo's most underrated IP's.

Still, I don't get why IS could have gotten Andy in for Brawl when AW was still relevant at the time.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm guessing IS just lost interest in the series then. It's a shame because the series was really enjoyable and it's overall one of Nintendo's most underrated IP's.

Still, I don't get why IS could have gotten Andy in for Brawl when AW was still relevant at the time.
They never lost interest remember when Codename Steam was announced and they asked IS if there was interest in Advance Wars and said yes. I feel like after FE If will be Advance Wars next showing since the other teams probably have Paper Mario

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
As someone who works at a store, I can confirm this is true. Except when some dumb ***** wearing high heels fell and said we should have had a wet floor sign up. Even her husband said there wasn't any water
It's still a stupid mentality though. Until one attempts to make a game featuring over 50 characters (all the while having to balance them) all the while having to deal with a snobby fanbase who'll tear you apart if one frame isn't exactly like they want it regardless of your health or well-being, you aren't entitled to anything.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's still a stupid mentality though. Until one attempts to make a game featuring over 50 characters (all the while having to balance them) all the while having to deal with a snobby fanbase who'll tear you apart if one frame isn't exactly like they want it regardless of your health or well-being, you aren't entitled to anything.
First of all, I was joking, second of all, I believe that customers, the people buying the games are allowed to criticize stuff, nitpicks aswell. Third of all, I hate the "You can't criticize if you didn't make something similar" argument you just used, especially considering how Sakurai likes screwing with fans

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I really don't understand the notion that just because you can't make your own Smash Bros. you're not allowed to criticize the one that exists.
In fact, if I could make my own Smash Bros. I'd be even LESS entitled, because then I could just do it myself anyway.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
First of all, I was joking, second of all, I believe that customers, the people buying the games are allowed to criticize stuff, nitpicks aswell. Third of all, I hate the "You can't criticize if you didn't make something similar" argument you just used, especially considering how Sakurai likes screwing with fans
Firstly, there's a difference between criticizing and calling Sakurai an idiot because a character didn't get in.
Second, my whole tirade about making a game is more towards the idiots who think their characters and opinions should be held higher than others, as if their entitled to some kind of reward for being a fan (or they know better than others fans, and in extreme cases Sakurai himself).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Firstly, there's a difference between criticizing and calling Sakurai an idiot because a character didn't get in.
Second, my whole tirade about making a game is more towards the idiots who think their characters and opinions should be held higher than others, as if their entitled to some kind of reward for being a fan (or they know better than others fans, and in extreme cases Sakurai himself).
To be fair, Ridley fans kind of have the right to say that as be was the only NPC not to be flat out shown but hinted at for over a year and then saying "Ridley with small wings wouldn't be Ridley anymore, here's Ridley becoming your sidekick after you slap him hard enough"

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No, Ridley fans aren't any more "entitled" than any other character's fans.
For example, I'm not going to berate Sakurai for being an idiot because Ghirahim is an Assist Trophy.
Actually I am Sakurai why :cry:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be fair, Ridley fans kind of have the right to say that as be was the only NPC not to be flat out shown but hinted at for over a year and then saying "Ridley with small wings wouldn't be Ridley anymore, here's Ridley becoming your sidekick after you slap him hard enough"
I'm not referring to Ridley fans. I've seen it happen in general.
Second, no, they did not. Was it sad that he was disconfirmed? Sure. But they way they acted was completely uncalled for. It was almost like watching a spoiled brat throw a temper tantrum because God forbid they didn't get a Happy Meal.
There's being salty, and then there's whatever the Hell they did.

Anyways, I think it's best I stop here before I make any more hateful posts. Lord knows I can rant about this all day, but for the sake of everyone's sanity it's best to kill it here.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
For example, I'm not going to berate Sakurai for being an idiot because Ghirahim is an Assist Trophy.
Considering Ridley was teased in a similar pattern as a different character who got in and wasn't clarified despite fans being confused, they can at least rant, that's what I meant

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Waluigi got the worst treatment out of all the characters. With Ridley, he at least stood a chance of being in the game and was only not in the game because of his size. With Waluigi, Sakurai doesn't even think he's worthy enough to be playable and openly mocked the idea of him being playable in one of his Miiverse posts. He has it the worst out of all the potential new characters.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Still, it'd be nice to have someone represent the spin-offs. It is still a major part of Mario after all.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's the thing. Nintendo hasn't even given him the chance to be in his own game or at least be in an important Mario or Wario game. If they could at least do that for him, maybe Sakurai would be more open to the idea of having him in the game.

At worst, can't he just represent the Mario spinoff games? They are a big part of the Mario series after all.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Considering Ridley was teased in a similar pattern as a different character who got in and wasn't clarified despite fans being confused, they can at least rant, that's what I meant
....I'm sorry but what character got teased like Ridley?

Meta Knight getting his mask shown and the very next day being confirmed?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If I got to say which Mario characters should get in, I'd choose Captain Toad and Nabbit, Captain Toad because people want Toad and this is a good way to put him in and Nabbit because I like him
....I'm sorry but what character got teased like Ridley?

Meta Knight getting his mask shown and the very next day being confirmed?
An enemy from Samus' past can appear any second
The Goddess of light watches over the battlefield

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I completely forgot Toon Link, however, Toon Link was outright shown not to mention the 2 designs looked different enough
Yeah although it was shown as well without Sakurai mentioning a word about it which left people debating about it until sometime after Toon Link was confirmed.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
If I got to say which Mario characters should get in, I'd choose Captain Toad and Nabbit, Captain Toad because people want Toad and this is a good way to put him in and Nabbit because I like him

An enemy from Samus' past can appear any second
The Goddess of light watches over the battlefield

Is this the post that you're referring to?

Because... I'd argue the difference being that this was showing a statue of a character in the background is significant over having the boss character's model teased while at the same time the message "Boss Characters Appear on Other Stages Too," is a significant one. Because I am pretty sure the April Direct came before that teasing Miiverse post about an enemy of Samus appearing.

Edit: That Pyrosphere post was back in November 2013. Still, I believe the Direct should have put matters to rest. I blame leaving it in debate at all by the nature it was done.

Double Edit: With the fact that the Palutena post came out a few days after her "leak" went Viral, I can't help but think it was tongue-in-cheek, like the Pseudo-Palutena trophy. That may be confirmation bias.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Because... I'd argue the difference being that this was showing a statue of a character in the background is significant over having the boss character's model teased while at the same time the message "Boss Characters Appear on Other Stages Too," is a significant one. Because I am pretty sure the April Direct came before that teasing Miiverse post about an enemy of Samus appearing.
No, Pyrosphere was revealed way before that Nintendo direct.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

False, the 'enemy from Samus' past' was shown when Pyrosphere was first revealed. My problems with the argument 'should have been clear' are Ashley, Chrom and Prince Sable, when their roles weren't mentioned, Ashley's post was edited quickly, Chrom got an official statement from Nintendo themselves to correct people who thought Chrom was more than a Final Smash and Sakurai tweeted "Sable is an assist trophy, sorry for any confusion" I really hate how Metroid doesn't get good representation and how most of the content here is from the worst game in the franchise

Burruni

Smash Hero
False, the 'enemy from Samus' past' was shown when Pyrosphere was first revealed. My problems with the argument 'should have been clear' are Ashley, Chrom and Prince Sable, when their roles weren't mentioned, Ashley's post was edited quickly, Chrom got an official statement from Nintendo themselves to correct people who thought Chrom was more than a Final Smash and Sakurai tweeted "Sable is an assist trophy, sorry for any confusion" I really hate how Metroid doesn't get good representation and how most of the content here is from the worst game in the franchise
"Most of the content here."

:4samus: & :4zss: implimented previously :4zss:'s changes being the Ship usage from Prime 3 and her rocket boot changes which are just Sci-Fi pandering.

Metroid's new stage, featuring Boss Ridley, is taken from Other M.

But Dark Samus and Mother Brain Assist Trophies bringing in extra content from the earlier titles.

Were there more trophies leaning to it? Yes. But that's also because Other M is one of few titles to come out between Brawl and Smash 4. The only other one that could have been is Prime 3.

The major rush of Skyward Sword material (other than outfits) for Zelda fits this matter as well with many people complaining over the nature of the game.

The recency of a title is going to have influence on its content. That's just how Smash goes.

I agree Ridley's role should have been put more clearly at the April Direct. Shulk's trailer gave a teaser about Metal Face and his boss role only confirmed at the 50 Fact Extravaganza is a case of where this was done far better.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior

:4samus: & :4zss: implimented previously :4zss:'s changes being the Ship usage from Prime 3 and her rocket boot changes which are just Sci-Fi pandering.

But Dark Samus and Mother Brain Assist Trophies bringing in extra content from the earlier titles.

Were there more trophies leaning to it? Yes. But that's also because Other M is one of few titles to come out between Brawl and Smash 4. The only other one that could have been is Prime 3.

The major rush of Skyward Sword material (other than outfits) for Zelda fits this matter as well with many people complaining over the nature of the game.

The recency of a title is going to have influence on its content. That's just how Smash goes.

I agree Ridley's role should have been put more clearly at the April Direct. Shulk's trailer gave a teaser about Metal Face and his boss role only confirmed at the 50 Fact Extravaganza is a case of where this was done far better.
Dark Samus should have been playable, and considering she's the only new thing from the Prime games, bleh. Lots and lots of bleh. Couldn't we have at least gotten some more themes from the Prime games like Rhundas, Dark Samus or even Thardus? Skyward Sword has okay and is 50/50 from what I could tell. The franchise I'm disappointed with the most is Kirby. Ultra Sword, 3 tracks ripped from the original games and a few trophies is all we could get from Modern Kirby. Is more modern Kirby too much to ask really?

Burruni

Smash Hero
The franchise I'm disappointed with the most is Kirby. Ultra Sword, 3 tracks ripped from the original games and a few trophies is all we could get from Modern Kirby. Is more modern Kirby too much to ask really?
JOIN THE BRODANA BRIGADE TODAY!

Bandana Dee 4 DeeLC.

The Most Shameless of Puns

Edit: I admit, Metroid, DK, and Kirby are the three series that have gotten the poorest representation. Metroid, I will say that I'm someone who is content with the two Samuses and a Ridley Boss, but would like more assist trophy fleshing out and A STAGE THAT ISN'T LAVA/ACID BASED. FRIGATE ORPHEON DOENS'T COUNT BECAUSE IT'S A GARBAGE STAGE. King K. Rool and The Dee would make me more than content for the other two. Dixie in Smash 5 with some actual assist trophies.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Because one note villains like him, Zant and Skull Kid are boring and losers like Tingle. We need Impa and realest ***** Toon Ganondorf.

Recency hurts really much considering all of Star Fox's content was in relation to Command (all in all horrendous game) in Brawl and 64 AGAIN in Smash 4. DK just got Returns because Sakurai was kept out the dark for Tropical Freeze unlike Yoshi with Wolly World and then there's sole fact that Sakurai went straight into Awakening instead of other games before it like Radiant Dawn, and the remakes.

But I can give Sakurai credit in making Other M look decent from Samus' suit, ZSS, content for trophies, music and stage Pyrosphere. Only that was bad was Ridley and he was barely unsalvageable due to how his redesign was s***.

Recency only works when it's a new franchise, new reps and stages ideas. Other M had zero decent reps including Ridley unless you want Adam Malkovich playable and no one wants him around.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Waluigi got the worst treatment out of all the characters. With Ridley, he at least stood a chance of being in the game and was only not in the game because of his size. With Waluigi, Sakurai doesn't even think he's worthy enough to be playable and openly mocked the idea of him being playable in one of his Miiverse posts. He has it the worst out of all the potential new characters.
Anyone claiming a character got treated worse then Chrom is mistaken :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Anyone claiming a character got treated worse then Chrom is mistaken :p
Yeah I kinda feel bad for the Chrom fans. Getting belittled for being a potential Ike clone but it's apparently okay to have two Marth clones instead..... Almost makes me want to draw a comic about it.....

And yeah, I know why Lucina is the way she is.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom