• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I guess I can be associated with The Last Story's Zael because I voted for him even though I don't think he has much of a chance for first party standards. Either him or Simon Belmont after typing that giant Rate Their Chances post explaining in depth why his chances are near absolute 0% and then giving a polar opposite want score while unleashing my inner Castlevania fanboy.

Now that I think about it, I want Simon more, but his inclusion isn't even remotely plausible because he's owned by Konami, and I'm sure we're all aware of their current situation. I can at least imagine the admittedly small possibility where Sakurai throws a curve ball by adding an obscure first party character such as Zael, but vastly more popular first party characters such as Isaac and K. Rool might be a much higher priority than him.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hey, just to ask....
Since BluePikmin11's known for his big support for Prince Sable and Bayonetta, oni333 for Viridi, Azure Warrior for Brash the Bear and Daisy, KennithTheGamer for Midna and Ghirahim, ScatmansWorld for Vaati, DustyPumpkin for starting the Savvy Stylist trend and what not...
Are there any particular characters you all associate me with? :p
Hold that thought, Burruni...
KennithTheGamer for Midna and Ghirahim
I appreciate that you know me that well, but...
KennithTheGamer
There's...something off here...

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Oh yeah, ONLY 6 characters.
Kid icarus has 3 games. It gets 3 characters, 3 stages, a buttload of music and smash run enemies. Lets check out a few other seires:
Advance/Battalion/Famicom Wars: 12 Games. Has an Assist Trophy that was probably made in 15 minutes by an unpaid intern.
Chibi-Robo: 5 games. Has like 2 trophies.
Excitebike: 5 games. A trophy.
Starfy: 5 games. An Assist trophy deliberately designed to be bad.
Custom Robo: 4 games. Nothing whatsoever.
Golden Sun: 3 games. 2 songs.
Pushmo: 4 games. A trophy.
Fossil Fighters: 3 games. A trophy.
I could go on.

Fire Emblem has 13 games, I feel 4 characters is a bit much, but it is far more justifiable than KI.
Mario is beyond huge. I think we lose perspective on how big Mario is. You could easily justify making 25% of the roster Mario characters. It frankly deserves more than it has.

Lucas was pretty heinous. Not as bad as Palutena and Dark Pit though. See the above chart.
Heck, for a while, I though Star Fox was badly overrepresented. Ah, the old speculation days. I had no clue how bad it could get.
Question: have you even played or seen gameplay footage of Kid Icarus Uprising? The last game Sakurai made before he started Smash 4? First of all, It's a masterpiece that proudly shows off everything the 3DS is capable of.It was the first 3DS game ever announced afterall.
Second, the best new features Smash Wii U and 3DS has were ideas first tested in Kid Icarus Uprising: from the Intensity Slider to how Online works on both versions. It's a game that Smash 4's development owes a lot to.

The absence of Ray MK2 and Isaac as Assist Trophies hints that they were penned to graduate into playable characters but were cut. You gotta vote them to get the dev team to finish them!
o
As for the other franchises you mentioned, they need to draw new material for 5mash from Somewhere don't they? It's not like Kid Icarus is going to get any More representation in 5mash with all it's best assets already present.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Actually, I think Ray MK III may have been cut because of being too projectile heavy...I mean, he had several projectiles that he spammed repeatedly.
I also don't think that them being cut as Assist Trophies meant they were planned to be playable...it's possible that Jill, Ray MK III, and Isaac were all cut due to time constraints.

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Actually, I think Ray MK III may have been cut because of being too projectile heavy...I mean, he had several projectiles that he spammed repeatedly.
I also don't think that them being cut as Assist Trophies meant they were planned to be playable...it's possible that Jill, Ray MK III, and Isaac were all cut due to time constraints.
Well let's vote for em anyway *shrug*

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Speaking of Ray MKIII, when was the last Custom Robo? Why don't I see more support for Custom Robo? Custom Robo was awesome!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Speaking of Ray MKIII, when was the last Custom Robo? Why don't I see more support for Custom Robo? Custom Robo was awesome!
The last Custom Robo game came out before Brawl.
So yeah...the series is as dormant as F-Zero except it doesn't have nearly as big of a legacy for Nintendo...sad too, it seems like an interesting series and Ray MK III would be a cool character.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Kinda niche... but its got 14 games.
Eh... The amount of games doesn't really matter when you consider Xenoblade only has one game (unless you inlcude the entire Xeno series).

I think what I mean to say is, the scope of the game feels much smaller compared to other series like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade. Like it was never meant to be a huge franchise, just a, "Hey let's make a Custom Robo"

Whereas Fire Emblem and Xenoblade feel more like Nintendo is really trying to push something.

Meh... that was a horrible explanation...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Kinda niche... but its got 14 games.
It's still niche, and Xenoblade's pretty niche. Point is, saying "It's niche" isn't a valid excuse to not include something
Well, let's start supporting Ray MK III when Custom Robo Awakening comes out. ;)
Didn't Ray have some super form called Awakening or Supernova?

Burruni

Smash Hero
Am I not associated with my never-ending support for Robin?

Ganon?
Once again, I just listed a few people who specifically came to mind. To be honest I don't think you went out nearly as adamantly about Robin than some of the people on that list.

I've thought of you more as "The Voice of Reason when things go ape****."

I don't know who I'd be associated with
My associated character is probably Professor Layton which is cool with me. ^^
Ironically... I haven't really thought about you two for particular characters. Just some chill people in here =P

Hold that thought, Burruni...

I appreciate that you know me that well, but...

There's...something off here...
Blame me being somewhat sleep deprived and getting your name off memory at that time. I knew I should've gone with just KtG....

It's still niche, and Xenoblade's pretty niche. Point is, saying "It's niche" isn't a valid excuse to not include something

Didn't Ray have some super form called Awakening or Supernova?
Xenoblade's niche but it was also critically acclaimed to the point of being called the "Rebirth of JRPGs."

Something that shines out in its niche can't be that overlooked for the company.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Did Custom Robo die with the DS? Quite a shame, cause Ray MK would've been a nice character. His support was real big back in the day.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Quite telling that Diddy isn't the character I'd most associate you with at this point. :ohwell:
Ah, well you should cause I wouldn't ever main another character in Smash but Diddy. Even if we'd get King K.Rool, Isaac and Impa. Trufax

Burruni

Smash Hero
Just to wonder...

What do you guys put as a "Top 5 Nintendo Series to get a 1st character in Smash" as theoretical DLC?

Just to give the example...

1. Golden Sun - For being the RPG series that out shined Mario & Luigi on the GBA, it's a shame that they haven't gone onto a 4th game yet and Isaac has more than enough potential as a figter.

2. Rhythm Heaven - The more creative and unique microgame fest made by the Warioware team, the zaniness of it has :4gaw: potential of slapping parts of the collection into a moveset and well.. the factor of the Rhythm pillar for the series could definitely spark up the roster with someone unique.

3. Splatoon - The most hyped game release that isn't a Smash game that I believe Nintendo has seen in a WHILE. An innovative and fresh IP that has that Smash charm in its design... yeah. I'm biased for it.

4. Advance Wars - With :snake: gone to embody that "War" moveset, Fire Emblem's sister series fills that kind of niche in a fighter and was one of the more major GBA into DS series like Golden Sun to earn some good merit.

5. Final Fantasy I MEAN Chibi-Robo - A fairly small series for Nintendo, but if there's some kind of "joke character" niche, I think the small robot whose entire purpose is to clean being used in a combative enviroment just can't help but make me giggle a bit.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Question: have you even played or seen gameplay footage of Kid Icarus Uprising? The last game Sakurai made before he started Smash 4? First of all, It's a masterpiece that proudly shows off everything the 3DS is capable of.It was the first 3DS game ever announced afterall.
Second, the best new features Smash Wii U and 3DS has were ideas first tested in Kid Icarus Uprising: from the Intensity Slider to how Online works on both versions. It's a game that Smash 4's development owes a lot to.

The absence of Ray MK2 and Isaac as Assist Trophies hints that they were penned to graduate into playable characters but were cut. You gotta vote them to get the dev team to finish them!
o
As for the other franchises you mentioned, they need to draw new material for 5mash from Somewhere don't they? It's not like Kid Icarus is going to get any More representation in 5mash with all it's best assets already present.
I own Kid Icarus Uprising. It is a very good game that I enjoyed very much.
I also really enjoyed Custom Robo, Pushmo, and Fossil Fighters. They are all good games. That doesn't mean any of those deserve more than 1 character. Lots of games are good, but that is subjective. Smash representation should require importance, not goodness.

You say that Isaac and Ray were planned to be characters, but cut. Guess who they were cut in favor of? Giving a 3 game series a second character and a 1 game series a character.

If Sakurai is filling up the roster with bs to "save material" for future smash games, that is crap. Each smash game should be as accurate a representation of the important elements of nintendo as possible. 3 KI characters is not that.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm more surprised you ain't supporting K. Rool or Dixie Kong especially the latter because well, you're Mr. HOO HAA, :diddy::4diddy:
I am supporting both, ever since the beginning. Whoever told you I didn't?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just to wonder...

What do you guys put as a "Top 5 Nintendo Series to get a 1st character in Smash" as theoretical DLC?

Just to give the example...

1. Golden Sun - For being the RPG series that out shined Mario & Luigi on the GBA, it's a shame that they haven't gone onto a 4th game yet and Isaac has more than enough potential as a figter.

2. Rhythm Heaven - The more creative and unique microgame fest made by the Warioware team, the zaniness of it has :4gaw: potential of slapping parts of the collection into a moveset and well.. the factor of the Rhythm pillar for the series could definitely spark up the roster with someone unique.

3. Splatoon - The most hyped game release that isn't a Smash game that I believe Nintendo has seen in a WHILE. An innovative and fresh IP that has that Smash charm in its design... yeah. I'm biased for it.

4. Advance Wars - With :snake: gone to embody that "War" moveset, Fire Emblem's sister series fills that kind of niche in a fighter and was one of the more major GBA into DS series like Golden Sun to earn some good merit.

5. Final Fantasy I MEAN Chibi-Robo - A fairly small series for Nintendo, but if there's some kind of "joke character" niche, I think the small robot whose entire purpose is to clean being used in a combative enviroment just can't help but make me giggle a bit.
Personally:
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Rhythm Heaven
Panel de Pon
Splatoon

Splatoon is great and all, but I rank it so low because its brand new. Give it a year or two before we jump the gun. Advance Wars because its a much longer running franchise than Rhythm Heaven, and Rhythm Heaven because it is quite popular, and its got several games.

For Panel de Pon, its got a decent amount of attention in-game already and, simply put, its a masterpiece of a puzzler.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Personally:
Golden Sun
Advance Wars
Rhythm Heaven
Panel de Pon
Splatoon

Splatoon is great and all, but I rank it so low because its brand new. Give it a year or two before we jump the gun. Advance Wars because its a much longer running franchise than Rhythm Heaven, and Rhythm Heaven because it is quite popular, and its got several games.

For Panel de Pon, its got a decent amount of attention in-game already and, simply put, its a masterpiece of a puzzler.
I can agree but switch GS with Advance Wars, replace Panel de Pon with probably Pushmo or Fossil Fighters and it's perfect.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can agree but switch GS with Advance Wars, replace Panel de Pon with probably Pushmo or Fossil Fighters and it's perfect.
I left GS up on top because of sales and popularity, really. GS is a far more popular franchise and the first two games sold more (individually) than each individual Fire Emblem game. Ditto for Advance Wars. Third game sadly didn't do as well, but from the little info we do know, it wasn't an outright flop, still (likely) sold more than a lot of FE/AW games.

As for Panel de Pon, yeah, I know it hasn't had a game in a while. But its still a longer running franchise than Pushmo/Fossil Fighters.

Ok, granted, it did specifically say DLC. I guess in that case Panel de Pon is more iffy.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Just to wonder...

1. Golden Sun
2. Rhythm Heaven
3. Advance Wars
4. Panel de Pon/Puzzle League
5. Fossil Fighters

:231:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom