• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Favorite Pokémon in 64: Onix, Blastoise, Charizard, Hitmonlee, Starmie, Snorlax
Favorite Pokémon in Melee: Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, Zapdos, Moltress, Raikou, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Porygon Z, Snorlax
Favorite Pokémon in Brawl: Deoxys, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Moltress

In this game, I don't even know lol

Blaziken only appears on kalos and doesnt really do anything right?

Sounds like a really easy alfonzo situation to me.

Heck its thread is even still open last i checked

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Who's the most iconic Pokemon after Pikachu, Mewtwo, Charizard, and Lucario?
Meowth, the anime was a major part of the Pokémon franchise and like Pikachu he is a major character in it, so he's probably the most iconic after all of them.

After him, probably Blaziken, Lugia, and Rayquaza due to how highly promoted and popular they are. Those like Zekrom, Gardevoir and especially Greninja are also Pokémon that could become more iconic over time.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
If you want someone NOT in the game? Then probably Dragonite.
Hmm, that could be it. Is there a support thread for that Pokemon on this forum?

In this game, I don't even know lol
Psst, say "Arceus"! He's our lord and savior!

Blaziken only appears on kalos and doesnt really do anything right?

Sounds like a really easy alfonzo situation to me.

Heck its thread is even still open last i checked
Why does it have a support thread if it's in the game?
:confused:

Meowth, the anime was a major part of the Pokémon franchise and like Pikachu he is a major character in it, so he's probably the most iconic after all of them.

After him, probably Blaziken, Lugia, and Rayquaza due to how highly promoted and popular they are. Those like Zekrom, Gardevoir and especially Greninja are also Pokémon that could become more iconic over time.
These all seem like good choices as well. Are there people actively supporting them too?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Jigglypuff? :4jigglypuff:

I'm not actually really sure. It could very well be Blastoise. :009: Because Blastoise represents Pokémon Blue. And Blue is the fixed version of Green, which had Venusaur. :003: And out of the two, I think Blastoise is the more popular Pokémon. I definitely think Blastoise would be somewhere in the Top 10 of most iconic Pokémon though. Or maybe the actual Kanto starters, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle are the real stars of the show? :001::004::007:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Boy Listen: There are only 6 active characters from Kid Icarus Uprising in Smash: 3 are Playable, 2 are Assist Trophies and 1 hosts a Stage on the 3DS.
It was just 2 Playable on the roster at the beginning of development, but if Sakurai wanted all 6 of them could've been playable.

Look at the 4 Fire Emblem characters, now back to me, now look at the 7 Mario characters, now back to me, now back to them, now back to me, now back to them, now back to me.
I'm on a horse.
Oh yeah, ONLY 6 characters.
Kid icarus has 3 games. It gets 3 characters, 3 stages, a buttload of music and smash run enemies. Lets check out a few other seires:
Advance/Battalion/Famicom Wars: 12 Games. Has an Assist Trophy that was probably made in 15 minutes by an unpaid intern.
Chibi-Robo: 5 games. Has like 2 trophies.
Excitebike: 5 games. A trophy.
Starfy: 5 games. An Assist trophy deliberately designed to be bad.
Custom Robo: 4 games. Nothing whatsoever.
Golden Sun: 3 games. 2 songs.
Pushmo: 4 games. A trophy.
Fossil Fighters: 3 games. A trophy.
I could go on.

Fire Emblem has 13 games, I feel 4 characters is a bit much, but it is far more justifiable than KI.
Mario is beyond huge. I think we lose perspective on how big Mario is. You could easily justify making 25% of the roster Mario characters. It frankly deserves more than it has.

Yeah.

Because it was so heinous when :4lucas: happened.

Except the big differences in games are that Xenoblade's fanbase actually got games localized, got its remake sent world wide, and has a development team that is eager to make more games.

And that a 2nd Xenoblade series character wouldn't be a clone as there's no weapon like the Monado in X.

Lucas was pretty heinous. Not as bad as Palutena and Dark Pit though. See the above chart.
Heck, for a while, I though Star Fox was badly overrepresented. Ah, the old speculation days. I had no clue how bad it could get.

Last edited:
Hmm, that could be it. Is there a support thread for that Pokemon on this forum?

Psst, say "Arceus"! He's our lord and savior!

Why does it have a support thread if it's in the game?
:confused:

These all seem like good choices as well. Are there people actively supporting them too?
Because its role is a backround element not a stage hazard.

Like conductor link or viridi (who i own the open thread for)

Lol at calling palutena heinous

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Jigglypuff? :4jigglypuff:

I'm not actually really sure. It could very well be Blastoise. :009: Because Blastoise represents Pokémon Blue. And Blue is the fixed version of Green, which had Venusaur. :003: And out of the two, I think Blastoise is the more popular Pokémon. I definitely think Blastoise would be somewhere in the Top 10 of most iconic Pokémon though. Or maybe the actual Kanto starters, Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle are the real stars of the show? :001::004::007:
I'm not sure now. There are so many Pokemon to choose from. :crazy:
Coupled with the fact that this isn't solely a popularity contest, I don't know who's the best Pokemon candidate for DLC.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Would it be cheating to say Jigglypuff, if she's more iconic than Lucario? If so, I'd put money on Mew, then Meowth.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Meowth has a dedicated fanbase, it suffered a hit after he was confirmed to be a Pokeball again, but it's still present. Similarly, while not to the same level, Gardevoir also had some support before it got knocked down. Zekrom, Lugia, and Rayquaza never had that much support and being confirmed for other roles killed it.

That leaves Blaziken, who plausibly could happen as a Toon Link/Alfonzo situation and definitely has the general popularity in the franchise to do it, but doesn't get as much attention because of his typing.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Meowth has a dedicated fanbase, it suffered a hit after he was confirmed to be a Pokeball again, but it's still present. Similarly, while not to the same level, Gardevoir also had some support before it got knocked down. Zekrom, Lugia, and Rayquaza never had that much support and being confirmed for other roles killed it.

That leaves Blaziken, who plausibly could happen as a Toon Link/Alfonzo situation and definitely has the general popularity in the franchise to do it, but doesn't get as much attention because of his typing.
Poor Blaziken. None of the other playable Pokemon are Fire/Fighting though, so why can't he represent that overused starter type combination?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't know about that. I feel like Lucario's been getting a lot more screen-time in the past couple of years.
Non-gamers know the 1st gen, and they especially know the 1st gen starters. Only gamers or pokemon fans know lucario. He isn't even remotely comparable with the original 3.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Non-gamers know the 1st gen, and they especially know the 1st gen starters. Only gamers or pokemon fans know lucario. He isn't even remotely comparable with the original 3.
"Remotely comparable" seems to strong for this situation, but whatever.

Is Blaziken considered "popular"?
For a Pokemon ballot candidate, yes.
And in the Pokemon fandom, more or less yes.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I think Blaziken would work well as a Captain Falcon alt, if they could do something about the final smash.
Turn the blue faclon into fire, change the background, call it overheat or something.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Or they could use Mega Blaziken.
Yeah, but that sounds like a substantial change to the way the move works. To be an alt costume, all changes have to be cosmetic, no moveset changes.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Yeah, but that sounds like a substantial change to the way the move works. To be an alt costume, all changes have to be cosmetic, no moveset changes.
That might be why they wouldn't make Blaziken an alt of Captain Falcon then. They'd be missing out on another chance to show off Mega Evolution.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Hey, just to ask....

Since BluePikmin11's known for his big support for Prince Sable and Bayonetta, oni333 for Viridi, Azure Warrior for Brash the Bear and Daisy, KennithTheGamer for Midna and Ghirahim, ScatmansWorld for Vaati, DustyPumpkin for starting the Savvy Stylist trend and what not...
MorbidAltruism for Dark Pit

Are there any particular characters you all associate me with? :p

edit: Inb4 it's someone who isn't even in my top 5.
That moment when you're no longer that one guy with that one character. Come on, Masked Man? Anyone? He's got a shot, right? :p

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
That might be why they wouldn't make Blaziken an alt of Captain Falcon then. They'd be missing out on another chance to show off Mega Evolution.
I agree, I doubt they would make an alt for a character in an entirely different series, particularly when some of the moveset options are completely unrelated to who the character is. At worst, if they do use Capt. Falcon as a base, it'd probably be more like Ganondorf's case.

Is Blaziken considered "popular"?
As mentioned before, it's definitely popular in the Pokémon fanbase. It's usually towards the top of the list as one of the franchise's most popular, and is probably one of the most promoted Pokémon as it got a D-Arts figure (which to note, only the Kanto bunch, Mewtwo and Lucario got), was a special event for XY and the only starter of its generation to get a Mega at the time, and got an early bird cameo in the anime. Smash-wise, it's notable, though that typing of his deters some from supporting him.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
That moment when you're no longer that one guy with that one character. Come on, Masked Man? Anyone? He's got a shot, right? :p
I'm assuming no series is getting more than 1 DLC character.

But I was listing a few people that came to mind.

I didn't note Diddy and Impa either, don't take it personally.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I'm assuming no series is getting more than 1 DLC character.

But I was listing a few people that came to mind.

I didn't note Diddy and Impa either, don't take it personally.
If I take it personally, that makes it funny, right? :p

I wouldn't condemn a series to one character. It's not an unreasonable assumption, but it is one pulled out of our butt portals.

Then again, I'm really going for Pichu, too, so I'll kick and scream as much as I want, lol

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Breloom is one of my favorite pokes, and if he was in Pokken I would be hyped beyond belief.

Kamui Nohr

Smash Journeyman
Are we allowed to talk about Pokken here if it's not about Smash characters? It's not about Smash characters.
I'm still not certain sure how things work here but I'm guessing the moderators won't stress because we usually go back to something relevant after a short while?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Apologies for the late reply, I just got back from work.
If it deserves it or not we can still TALK about the possibility
I neither said anything about how much it "deserves" or whether anyone should or shouldn't discuss the topic.

I merely stated my own opinion on the matter.

A lot of words being put in my mouth today.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
BluePikmin11's known for his big support for Prince Sable and Bayonetta, oni333 for Viridi, Azure Warrior for Brash the Bear and Daisy, KennithTheGamer for Midna and Ghirahim, ScatmansWorld for Vaati, DustyPumpkin for starting the Savvy Stylist trend and what not...
MorbidAltruism for Dark Pit
Am I not associated with my never-ending support for Robin?

Hey, just to ask....
Are there any particular characters you all associate me with?

Ganon?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
If we get another Pokemon, I don't want it to be humanoid; we've already got enough of those running around for now with Mewtwo, Lucario and Greninja. I don't want it to be a regional Pikachu, either.

Really, I just want Tyrantrum in since it's both a Fossil Pokemon and a Rock-type, both of which have no fully playable characters in Smash (despite Rock-type being the first ever Gym you fight, in Pewter City!). And we need more badass dinosaurs in this roster; Yoshi ain't gonna cut it. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom