• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I completely and totally disagree.

The entire point of Mii is to be able to play as yourself, or whoever you create, in whatever context is available to them. In various sports games, they do sports, or they do racing in Mario Kart.

In Smash Bros., they were designed TO FIGHT. I think this portrayal is the perfect portrayal of them. If you think Mii's are a "Nintendo all-star," you're wrong. Mii's aren't characters. They're you. They're whoever you make them out to be. Mii's are always designed to work in whatever game they are available in, and Smash is no exception.

Mii's right now are passable to me. I'd loathe their inclusion if they just used moves from sports games, though. That completely ruins the point of having Mii's to begin with. They're SUPPOSED TO BE A CUSTOMIZATION OPTION. That's the whole damn point.
Under this line of reasoning, Villager's moveset should have nothing to do with Animal Crossing, because they are player avatars and should be tailored to the game they are in.

Villager was handled very well, exactly how Miis should've been handled.

Smash is a game of representation, its goal is to represent a company's history in a single game. This is why Mii Fighters have no place, they represent nothing and are essentially original characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Under this line of reasoning, Villager's moveset should have nothing to do with Animal Crossing, because they are player avatars and should be tailored to the game they are in.

Villager was handled very well, exactly how Miis should've been handled.

Smash is a game of representation, its goal is to represent a company's history in a single game. This is why Mii Fighters have no place, they represent nothing and are essentially original characters.
Miis do pretty much everything including fighting outside smash. Villager does things that's very common for AC players, pulling weeds, catching bugs, collecting, etc.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:cool::cool:
Remember when people said they could never get in? lol scrubz...
I never said they couldn't get in. I just stated I hated it if they got in. And well, I still don't like them to be honest.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Miis do pretty much everything including fighting outside smash. Villager does things that's very common for AC players, pulling weeds, catching bugs, collecting, etc.
If Mii Fighters are supposed to represent what Miis do in other games they do a horrible job.
Wii Boxing and Wii Swordfighting, and MAYBE Metroid Blast are the only things that would be represented in Mii fighters.
That would be like Villager's entire moveset being based around pulling weeds and digging.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If Mii Fighters are supposed to represent what Miis do in other games they do a horrible job.
Wii Boxing and Wii Swordfighting, and MAYBE Metroid Blast are the only things that would be represented in Mii fighters.
That would be like Villager's entire moveset being based around pulling weeds and digging.
Except Sakurai said in I believe a Nintendo Dream article that Miis were added for stuff like "My mummy is stronger than yours"

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Except Sakurai said in I believe a Nintendo Dream article that Miis were added for stuff like "My mummy is stronger than yours"
I know that is why they were added. It is painfully clear from their moveset that that is the point behind them.
I'm saying that's a horrible way to handle playable Miis, as they cease to represent anything.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Here is my problem with Mii fighters.
It isn't that they are Miis. Miis are a real nintendo all star, and very crucial to the company's history.

My problem is that they aren't Miis. Nothing they do has anything to do with anything Miis do in Mii games. It's clear that they went OUT OF THEIR WAY to distance Mii Fighters from actual Miis.
Mii Fighters aren't Miis, they are a half-baked create your own character engine that uses Miis to make its job easier.
Actually, if it's any consolation, there is plenty of Mii game representation in both the Wii U and the 3DS versions in the forms of the Find Mii and Tomadachi Life stages on the 3DS and Wuhu Island on the Wii U and the plenty of Mii game music to be found on both versions. :4mii::4miif:

The Miis are in the game, in the background, doing their thang.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Actually, if it's any consolation, there is plenty of Mii game representation in both the Wii U and the 3DS versions in the forms of the Find Mii and Tomadachi Life stages on the 3DS and Wuhu Island on the Wii U and the plenty of Mii game music to be found on both versions. :4mii::4miif:

The Miis are in the game, in the background, doing their thang.
That is good and desirable. That is what I want, content that represents these important games.
Miis just should've been part of that content.
It is a consolation, if it had just been Mii Fighters and none of those things I'd be furious.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Kinda why my idea was having them being an avatar for Nintendo as a whole.... because they're just kinda that (ironically) faceless avatar for the company's fans.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
I'm aware that was a common criticism. It is also a dumb criticism, any character can be given an interesting moveset.
Plus, Miis have way more to draw from than sports. I've made most of a Mii moveset, and it only has 4 moves from Wii Sports(Jab, ftilt, upsmash, side b).
Maybe in Smash 5 they'll give the Miis a 4th class: Mii Gamer, whose moveset is built out of references to Mii-centric games and Nintendo hardware, we can dream, can't we?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, that could have easily been given to Shulk instead with his arts being specials instead of his stat gimmick. Palutena having unique customs is definitely a great thing
Not sure if it would work with Shulk (I really, really like the stat-changing mechanic), but yeah, I agree that more characters with unique customs would work.

I hope DLC characters get customs at all, come to think of it - maybe we'll get 'em in a new patch?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Kinda why my idea was having them being an avatar for Nintendo as a whole.... because they're just kinda that (ironically) faceless avatar for the company's fans.
Having Miis represent the fans through console related attacks is also a good idea that I also came up with independantly of you.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Having Miis represent the fans through console related attacks is also a good idea that I also came up with independantly of you.
Oh.
I wasn't trying to say I was creative for that idea.
I was just stating that it was an idea that could have been a more "fitting" usage of them for what they are.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Mii's are nice in a way that they are charmingly generic. They don't even have a default moveset, their equipment isn't game breaking and their customs and costumes makes each of the unique in a way that only Mii can do. One of the first questions my sister asked is "Are Mii Fighters in the game?"

Sakruai and co. did a good job with them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Final Smash "GIVE US MOTHER 3!"
Not sure if it would work with Shulk (I really, really like the stat-changing mechanic), but yeah, I agree that more characters with unique customs would work.

I hope DLC characters get customs at all, come to think of it - maybe we'll get 'em in a new patch?
Shulk has other arts such as Shadow Eye, Monado Cyclone and many others. Hell, he even uses Reyn's War Swing as a Dsmash

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I wish the Final Smash was customisable though. My Mii's a Swordfighter (1132 with enhanced speed and attack) and I just hate how ineffective it is.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Final Smash "GIVE US MOTHER 3!"

Shulk has other arts such as Shadow Eye, Monado Cyclone and many others. Hell, he even uses Reyn's War Swing as a Dsmash
I think that animation was taken from something other than Reyn. :roymelee:

Maybe it's just because that's what I thought of when it came to that animation in his trailer.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Oh.
I wasn't trying to say I was creative for that idea.
I was just stating that it was an idea that could have been a more "fitting" usage of them for what they are.
I didn't think that you were trying to say that. I mentioned that I came up with it to support the idea, if 2 people had a similar idea independantly, it must have some merit.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wish the Final Smash was customisable though. My Mii's a Swordfighter (1132 with enhanced speed and attack) and I just hate how ineffective it is.
Custom Final Smashes should definitely be a thing, I made a list of potential ones, including FE characters summoning their troops, list is gone though
ryuga

stahp

you're making me want this

Damn it now I want this. ;w;
On the bright side if we ever get another Xenoblade character that's likely how it would go

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Custom final smashes would be great.
I'd love for Kirby's FS to be crash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think that animation was taken from something other than Reyn. :roymelee:

Maybe it's just because that's what I thought of when it came to that animation in his trailer.
It's more likely War Swing as PM doesn't get recognition from the Smash team, not to mention a character would have something based on their own game, see the PK Starstorm excuse "Poo/Kumotora taught it to them" iirc

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
A 2nd Xenoblade Character would come from X.
It'd also be even more heinous than 3 KI characters.

Burruni

Smash Hero
It's more likely War Swing as PM doesn't get recognition from the Smash team, not to mention a character would have something based on their own game, see the PK Starstorm excuse "Poo/Kumotora taught it to them" iirc
Ryuga. Roy had that animation in Melee. Not just P:M.

And I still wish that Kumatora got in over Lucas as the Mother 3 character in Brawl. I don't care if Lucas is the protagonist... Kumatora was just a more badass magic-enhanced brawler! HERE'S your counter-conventional princess!

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Smash is a game of representation, its goal is to represent a company's history in a single game.
That is something I've wanted to say on this site formonths, but never had the guts to. Thank you.
This is why Mii Fighters have no place, they represent nothing and are essentially original characters.
However, that's where I disagree. When you think about it, what Do the Miis do in their home games, and in other games they're featured in?
In Wii Sports and Wii Sports Resort, they do the sports that are there to do, in Streetpass Quest they fight monsters with swords and magic,
In Nintendo Land, they play whatever the Nintendo Land Minigames and do whatever that means,
In Mario Kart Wii, 7 and 8, they race, in Mario&Sonic at the Olympic Games, the Miis compete in the Olympics.

My point is that the Miis purpose in life are to join in and do whatever there is to do in a game (or just be a background element or a file selection icon), and in Smash Bros, that is fight, and fight convincingly.

Also, you bring up the Villager's moveset, Sakurai has said that he was thinking about putting both the Villager and the Miis in Super Smash Bros Brawl, but decided against it because it didn't feel right and they couldn't figure out the right way yet.
Now for Smash 4 they decided to have the Villager be the happy smiling menial-non-agressive-activity-performing fighter and have Miis Nintendo's bridge between real people and their game worlds, fight like (semi)-real people!

And I still wish that Kumatora got in over Lucas as the Mother 3 character in Brawl. I don't care if Lucas is the protagonist... Kumatora was just a more badass magic-enhanced brawler! HERE'S your counter-conventional princess!
All of my yes. kumatora would have been teh best.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Boy Listen: There are only 6 active characters from Kid Icarus Uprising in Smash: 3 are Playable, 2 are Assist Trophies and 1 hosts a Stage on the 3DS.
It was just 2 Playable on the roster at the beginning of development, but if Sakurai wanted all 6 of them could've been playable.

Look at the 4 Fire Emblem characters, now back to me, now look at the 7 Mario characters, now back to me, now back to them, now back to me, now back to them, now back to me.
I'm on a horse.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
A 2nd Xenoblade Character would come from X.
Yeah.

Because it was so heinous when :4lucas: happened.

Except the big differences in games are that Xenoblade's fanbase actually got games localized, got its remake sent world wide, and has a development team that is eager to make more games.

And that a 2nd Xenoblade series character wouldn't be a clone as there's no weapon like the Monado in X.

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Smash 5: Customizable Final Smashes! Make it Happen!
Seriously the Sword Fighter and the Gunner's Final Smash are nearly the same, why does the Brawler get the really Cool one?

Dude cool! My Mii's a Sword Fighter Too!
I'd like it if one of the Sword Fighter FS's you could chose to be a combination of Marth's and Links: You zoom horizontally across the stage like Marth, and if you contact somebody, you unleash a barrage of slashes on them like Link and Toon Link!

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
And that a 2nd Xenoblade series character wouldn't be a clone as there's no weapon like the Monado in X.

Well if they do add another Xenoblade character, I doubt it'll be Dunban: the Mii costume for him kinda has him covered, just like Protoman, X, and the Inklings.

Here's for someone from Xenoblade Chronicles X

StormC

Smash Hero
Elma would be cool from XCX since she'd bring some notable diversity: a dark-skinned female fighter who uses a mix of guns and blades. Though I would rather see her appear in 5mash; in my opinion, Smash 4's DLC should be focused on fan favorites and cut veterans, not promoting new games. Let those new games be a part of 5mash's legacy and have DLC bring in newcomers that the fans really want that had plenty of reason to be in Smash 4 already, like K. Rool and Isaac.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I'd love Alma, she's super lovely looking, plus Mechas
I'm still waiting to get the game.

Just so I can name my character Shinji Ikari.

And constantly just ask the world.

WHEN CAN I GET IN THE DAMN ROBOT?!

Seriously though the Dolls (yes that's the name for the Mechas) should be the Final Smash of an X character if they got in.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
What I don't like about Miis is that even by the simplest of customization standards they look absolutely awful.

Custom fighters in Smash would have been so much better if they didn't have terribly drawn on faces.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'm still waiting to get the game.

Just so I can name my character Shinji Ikari.

And constantly just ask the world.

WHEN CAN I GET IN THE DAMN ROBOT?!

Seriously though the Dolls (yes that's the name for the Mechas) should be the Final Smash of an X character if they got in.
....Yeah I'm just gonna call them Mechs.

Kinda dissapointed from what I've seen of the customization in XCX, I can't make my guy super fat or super buff, there's a boob slider for girls but I can't give my guy a puffy chest

I mean I wasn't expecting Saints Row here but a little body variation would be nice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom