• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What I liked about SSE was the characterisation of Diddy. It gave me pre-buyout Rare vibes, even moreso than DKCR. So I'll give Sakurai props for that at the very least.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Welp.

I just learned that Rhythm Heaven: The Best + (3DS Title) uses a new MC that has little to no similarity to Marshal, the Glee Club members (aka the Chorus Kids), or the (I'm pretty sure) Nameless face character from Night Walk in the GBA title.

A little disappointing, but that also means I'll have to ultimately update my Rhythm Heaven "Mascot" character moveset once I can get some good footage of the new games.
Tebiri? That lion thing with a pink afro?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
:crying: When your favorite mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl is despised.
It's mostly from being so long, you couldn't do a NG+ where you play through every scenario as a different character other than the characters required for that scene and look how much fans like Melee's Adventure mode compared to SSE.

Adventure mode can be replayed easily from all the unique and extra fights you can get like fighting Luigi instead of Mario, Falco gets payback for Fox, Fighting Kirbys with everyone's abilities and then a giant Kirby, fighting both Metal Mario & Luigi and them getting to fight Giga Bowser.

Something with Smash 4 can do better with the roster and the 8 player element.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
This might seem like a condescending question, but I only ask out of genuine curiosity:

What exactly is the purpose of rallying for unlikely characters? Perhaps for mainline Smash games I can understand it a bit more, but for DLC, character numbers are pretty limited. For me, if I want to spend hours of my time rallying for a DLC character, I think to myself "could this character conceivably be within the first ten DLC additions?" Supporting characters like K. Rool, Wolf, Isaac, Inkling, and Dixie make sense in this regard. But how fruitful is a DLC campaign for someone like Travis Touchdown going to be?

Sometimes you have characters that spike way up in popularity suddenly, like Shovel Knight, but those are very rare and incidental (and his popularity has pretty much totally died out by now). If you enjoy discussing the character and speculating about what they would look like in Smash, that's fine, but I couldn't imagine trying to run a thread and Twitter account for these types of characters on a daily basis. It'd be exhausting and mostly unproductive. Most of the time, either the character is popular and/or likely or not; very few are going to be on the fence.
The Poll is more of a suggestion box then a legitimate poll. At the end of the day, Sakurai is going to pick characters that he feels fit in Smash. If a popular character doesn't fit his vision (Waluigi, Ridley, etc.) then all the votes in the world aren't going to help.

This is why, if you really do support a character, you want to rally around them and get them enough votes to be noticed. Being noticed is what really matters here.

Also, I like Assist Trophies, just throwing that out there. Metal Face is also a great Boss Hazard.... all the other ones are way too invasive and make their stages almost unplayable.

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
It's mostly from being so long, you couldn't do a NG+ where you play through every scenario as a different character other than the characters required for that scene and look how much fans like Melee's Adventure mode compared to SSE.
...Actually...you Can.
You can play every level with whoever you want to once you beat Tabuu.
Everyone who didn't give up in the Great Maze knows this.

Start the story over on another save file you can even Change the scenario from as early as the Midair Stadium so you have other characters to play as and against down the road.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I love Subspace for one thing

:4sonic: Saved Nintendo.

:4sonic: actually did damage to Tabuu first.

:4sonic: was the true hero of the Subspace Emissary.
Well other than :4dedede:, :4luigi: & :4ness:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
That's so true, it also made Ness and King DeDeDe important.

And
:snake: saved :peach: and :zelda: instead of :mario2: or :link2:,
which i find hilarious.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy resqueing DK with the help of Fox and Falco was the most beautiful thing ever though. I still love that scene where Diddy jumps out of Falco's Arwing to attack the Prymids guarding DK's throphy, ultimately doing all the hard work by himself. Most badass scene in all of the SSE.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Diddy resqueing DK with the help of Fox and Falco was the most beautiful thing ever though. I still love that scene where Diddy jumps out of Falco's Arwing to attack the Prymids guarding DK's throphy, ultimately doing all the hard work by himself. Most badass scene in all of the SSE.
That's a really fun debate.

There's a SSE Thread on this site right?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Actually everyone but Sonic is errelevant when you think about it. Sonic destroyed Tabuu at the last second (Yup, he was dead before the boss battle. So the whole fight was a paradox.) So as soon as the Subspace bomb blew up, Sonic was the only important character.
I like how they chained up Donkey Kong's trophy when the chains wouldn't have kept him in place had he not been in trophy form.... Maybe it was to keep him from sliding off.

PK_Knee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamernerd123
Actually everyone but Sonic is errelevant when you think about it. Sonic destroyed Tabuu at the last second (Yup, he was dead before the boss battle. So the whole fight was a paradox.) So as soon as the Subspace bomb blew up, Sonic was the only important character.

I like how they chained up Donkey Kong's trophy when the chains wouldn't have kept him in place had he not been in trophy form.... Maybe it was to keep him from sliding off.
I agree, he did nothing in SSE, you know it's sad when R.O.B. is more important than you...

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I do like the :4samus: & :4pikachu: team up. Best part of the game where Pikachu and Samus stomps in Ridley together.

image.jpg

Best OTP

Burruni

Smash Hero
:4sonic: was a late addition? I thought :snake: was...
No. Snake was a fairly early choice because of a deal between Sakurai and Kojima specifically, after this was asked for in Brawl.

Sonic delayed the entire game by months because of how late Nintendo got the rights to use him in Brawl.

PK_Knee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamernerd123
No. Snake was a fairly early choice because of a deal between Sakurai and Kojima specifically, after this was asked for in Brawl.

Sonic delayed the entire game by months because of how late Nintendo got the rights to use him in Brawl.
Nope. It was Sonic. That's why he was a Deus ex Machina.
Oh, I didn't know that, thanks for informing me.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
:4sonic: was a late addition? I thought :snake: was...

Nope. It was Sonic. That's why he was a Deus ex Machina.
Seriously guys, there's a thread for this http://smashboards.com/threads/does-anyone-else-actually-enjoy-sse.280933/

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I know he was in the first trailer, but the roster was chosen before the trailers were released. In fact, Greninja was planned to be put in smash before Pokemon X was released. All they had was concept art.
Development on Sonic began quite a while after the other characters though (excluding :wolf::jigglypuff::ness2:), as Sega didn't initially agree to him appearing. He was the reason for one of the delays, iirc.

:231:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I know he was in the first trailer, but the roster was chosen before the trailers were released. In fact, Greninja was planned to be put in smash before Pokemon X was released. All they had was concept art.
BRAWL characters were not entirely figured out before the first trailer.

SMASH 4 characters were. Excluding Icies cut due to technical issues and the 3 Alt Costume Promotions chosen late in production as a bonus project.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

That's why I feel like Smash 4 development was much more planned than the 'go with the flow' pass three games did. Made all the partnerships with Sega and Capcom, planned out the roster from the get go with slight changes and went from there. ICs were the only casualties and they were mostly due to limitations. If anything Smash 4 would have been delayed anyhow if it was going Sakurai's way but Nintendo wanted out fast because how much of the train wreck the Wii U was at the start.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I wonder if before Sonic's inclusion. Jigglypuff was meant to be the one to break Tabuu's wings.....
No.
She just floated up, landed rest, and the fight was over.
She was too OP for the fight so they removed her from SSE main story.

But seriously, I think the cutscene was more just everyone walking up determined, possibly with a scrolling view like the intro before choosing your fighters, before Sonic

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think it would have been Mewtwo, as he would probably get completed instead.

:231:
The Wings issue is a red herring. They used that as an excuse to justify Sonic getting a cutscene at the last second. I don't think anything would've changed had Sonic not been added, there just wouldn't have been an extra cutscene at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom