• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Character importance is a pretty flawed argument, IMO.

While popularity helps, Smash isn't a 'Who's he most popular regardless of moveset' contest.

The Smash Ballot, with no focus on numbers, should have put this to rest.
I'm pretty sure there are many more important Pokémon character to add than Pidgey from this game. I think we can all agree that Pidgey is a bad idea all around. Also I don't recall ever saying anything about how Smash is a popularity contest for characters.
The next Fire Emblem rep is right here.
View attachment 50176
All I am going to say is, the debate for the next Fire Emblem character (or two) in the next proper Smash game is going to be crazy. And if the past two games have taught us anything, it is never as clear cut as we think.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Seems like raving in acceptance.

Meanwhile the only comment on my Waluigi moveset was a wise crack to me posting it up without finishing the up smash description.

Consensus?

Everyone else cheated.
It's okay. I actually love that moveset and think it's pretty much perfect. Waluigi for Mario Sports rep.
Sorry Daisy. :smirk:

I think its funny people hated miis for being wii sports reps but people want waluigi and daisy to be mario sports rep. I knew its not a perfect comparison but its funny to me.

I want neither of them.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
...what he f*** is f***ing happening in this f***ing thread? Only 2-3 posts that aren't filled with bulls**t.

Seems like raving in acceptance.

Meanwhile the only comment on my Waluigi moveset was a wise crack to me posting it up without finishing the up smash description.

Consensus?

Everyone else cheated.
...i was noticed...
Also, that lovely description should have been put into his Final Smash istead of Up Smash. I mean....thats the most fitting one for him.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I think its funny people hated miis for being wii sports reps but people want waluigi and daisy to be mario sports rep. I knew its not a perfect comparison but its funny to me.

I want neither of them.
The difference namely is that people want Waluigi and Daisy in and the spinoffs are their only source material (though Daisy can rip from the Mario Land titles).

People didn't want Miis in general.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Okay guys, I've kept you waiting long enough. It's time for Ghirahim.

Ghirahim - An agile and deceptive swordsman, Ghirahim dual wields a katana and a longsword, attacking rapidly with various slashes and thrusts and using his magic thowing knifes to keep victims trapped in a never ending cycle of pain.
Ghirahim wields the katana in his right hand and the longsword in the left.

- Neutral :GCB: - Magic Knives: Ghirahim summons magic knives from his left hand and tosses them in a shotgun-style spread. The longer he charges the move, the more daggers are tossed, for a total of six. The daggers have a stunning effect that allows Ghirahim to follow up with other attacks. At full charge, the daggers have a slight homing effect.

- Side :GCB: - Skyward Strike: Ghirahim charges his scimitar by raising it in the air, then tosses a spinning, slow moving energy projectile from it. Hits victims repeatedly and pushes them back before launching them.

- Up :GCB: - Flash Teleport: Ghirahim snaps his fingers and instantly appears in the direction specified. Unlike most warping moves, this attack has a delay from when he disappears and reappears. Goes a longer distance as well.

- Down :GCB: - Warp Counter: Ghirahim guards with his sword. It attacked during this pose, he will disappear and reappear with a counterattack. The attack he does depends on the direction specified.
Up Counter: Ghirahim descends down onto the victim stabbing them with both swords as he falls.
Side Counter: Ghirahim flies in from the side slashing horizonally with both swords.
Down Counter: Ghirahim turns into his sword form and rises from underneath the victim before returning to normal.

Final Smash: True Form Ghirahim: Ghirahim turns into his metallic Spirit Form, granting him increased speed, power, launch resistance and super armor, while limiting his jump. He will return to his human form in 15 seconds.
-------
Jab: Ghirahim slashs vertically with the katana, then thrusts with the longsword.
Jab combo: Ghirahim stabs repeatedly with both swords before concluding with a thrust with both simultaneously.

F-tilt: Ghirahim does a low horizontal slash with the katana.

U-tilt: Ghirahim swipes the katana in a vertical arc while turning.

D-tilt: Ghirahim stabs with both swords, left and right.

F-Smash: Ghirahim slams both swords in a vertical arc, charged with dark energy.

Dash attack: Ghirahim slashes with both swords across horizontally.

U-Smash: Ghirahim slashes with both swords across in an arc over him.

D-Smash: Ghirahim stabs his swords into the ground on either side of him.
-------
N-air: Ghirahim slashes with both swords around him twice, hitting four times.

F-air: Ghirahim tosses his katana in front of him, making it spin rapidly vertically, before reclaiming it. Hits five times.

B-Air: Ghirahim stabs both of his swords backwards behind him between his arms.

U-Air: Ghirahim stabs upwards with the longsword while spinning. Very similar to Mii Swordfighter, but hits three times.

D-air: Ghirahim turns into his sword form and descends downward with swords on either side of him. Returns to normal if up or jump is pressed.
-------
Grab/Pummel: Ghirahim, while holding the victim in place with his katana, bashes them with the hilt of his longsword.

F-throw: Ghirahim holds the victim in the air telekinectially and his swords beside him, and throws three waves of two knives at them.

B-throw: Ghirahim telekinetically tosses the opponent behind him into a force field of his own creation. Stuns them and stops their momentum, allowing Ghirahim to continue attacking them.

U-throw: Ghirahim stabs the victim with both swords and tosses them up into a circle of eight knives that impale them at once.

D-throw: Ghirahim tosses the opponent down, then throws three waves of magic knives into them before stabbing them with his swords, sending them upwards.
-------
Get-up attack: Ghirahim does a sweeping kick.

Edge attack / 100%: Ghirahim stabs forward with his katana.
-------
U-Taunt: Ghirahim's swords encircle him as he levitates, his cape waving, and laughs evilly.
S-Taunt: Ghirahim waves with his longsword and scoffs.
D-Taunt: Ghirahim looks to the camera and wags his tongue while laughing. Same as his Assist Trophy entrance.

Victory pose 1: Ghirahim disappears and reappears multiple times while doing various dramatic poses, concluding by appearing with his arms spread out.
Victory pose 2: Ghirahim dramatically slashes repeatedly with his katana, then waves it in a circle with his hand to his chest before vanishing.
Victory pose 3: Ghirahim disappears and reappears in the camera, wagging his tongue, then jumps back and poses with his swords.
Ghirahim has so much moveset potential that's it's nearly impossible to narrow it down on one moveset, but I settled on dual swords.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm pretty sure there are many more important Pokémon character to add than Pidgey from this game. I think we can all agree that Pidgey is a bad idea all around. Also I don't recall ever saying anything about how Smash is a popularity contest for characters.All I am going to say is, the debate for the next Fire Emblem character (or two) in the next proper Smash game is going to be crazy. And if the past two games have taught us anything, it is never as clear cut as we think.

Smash has been more about 3 things, advertising, can easily be implemented, and relevance. If you got all 3 then you're in. And Fire Emblem characters will be insane.

IMO, they should make a FE fighting game from Arc Systems or Dynasty Warriors games to filled the need that Smash can't do

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Ghirahim - An agile and deceptive swordsman, Ghirahim dual wields a katana and a longsword, attacking rapidly with various slashes and thrusts and using his magic thowing knifes to keep victims trapped in a never ending cycle of pain.

- Neutral :GCB: - Magic Knives: Ghirahim summons magic knives from his left hand and tosses them in a shotgun-style spread. The longer he charges the move, the more daggers are tossed, for a total of six. The daggers have a stunning effect that allows Ghirahim to follow up with other attacks. At full charge, the daggers have a slight homing effect.

- Side :GCB: - Skyward Strike: Ghirahim charges his scimitar by raising it in the air, then tosses a spinning, slow moving energy projectile from it. Hits victims repeatedly and pushes them back before launching them.

- Up :GCB: - Flash Teleport: Ghirahim snaps his fingers and instantly appears in the direction specified. Unlike most warping moves, this attack has a delay from when he disappears and reappears. Goes a longer distance as well.

- Down :GCB: - Warp Counter: Ghirahim guards with his sword. It attacked during this pose, he will disappear and reappear with a counterattack. The attack he does depends on the direction specified.
Up Counter: Ghirahim descends down onto the victim stabbing them with both swords as he falls.
Side Counter: Ghirahim flies in from the side slashing horizonally with both swords.
Down Counter: Ghirahim turns into his sword form and rises from underneath the victim before returning to normal.

Final Smash: True Form Ghirahim: Ghirahim turns into his metallic Spirit Form, granting him increased speed, power, launch resistance and super armor, while limiting his jump. He will return to his human form in 15 seconds.
-------
Jab: Ghirahim slashs vertically with the katana, then thrusts with the longsword.
Jab combo: Ghirahim stabs repeatedly with both swords before concluding with a thrust with both simultaneously.

F-Smash: Ghirahim slams both swords in a vertical arc, charged with dark energy.

-------

F-air: Ghirahim tosses his katana in front of him, making it spin rapidly vertically, before reclaiming it. Hits five times.

U-Air: Ghirahim stabs upwards with the longsword while spinning. Very similar to Mii Swordfighter, but hits three times.

D-air: Ghirahim turns into his sword form and descends downward with swords on either side of him. Returns to normal if up or jump is pressed.
-------
Grab/Pummel: Ghirahim, while holding the victim in place with his katana, bashes them with the hilt of his longsword.

F-throw: Ghirahim holds the victim in the air telekinectially and his swords beside him, and throws three waves of two knives at them.

B-throw: Ghirahim telekinetically tosses the opponent behind him into a force field of his own creation. Stuns them and stops their momentum, allowing Ghirahim to continue attacking them.

U-throw: Ghirahim stabs the victim with both swords and tosses them up into a circle of eight knives that impale them at once.

D-throw: Ghirahim tosses the opponent down, then throws three waves of magic knives into them before stabbing them with his swords, sending them upwards.
-------

-------
U-Taunt: Ghirahim's swords encircle him as he levitates, his cape waving, and laughs evilly.
D-Taunt: Ghirahim looks to the camera and wags his tongue while laughing. Same as his Assist Trophy entrance.

Victory pose 1: Ghirahim disappears and reappears multiple times while doing various dramatic poses, concluding by appearing with his arms spread out.
Victory pose 2: Ghirahim dramatically slashes repeatedly with his katana, then waves it in a circle with his hand to his chest before vanishing.
Victory pose 3: Ghirahim disappears and reappears in the camera, wagging his tongue, then jumps back and poses with his swords.
Ghirahim has so much moveset potential that's it's nearly impossible to narrow it down on one moveset, but I settled on dual swords.
Nifty! Though I think he should grab enemies with that tongue as a tether

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Nifty! Though I think he should grab enemies with that tongue as a tether
No, he should have same grab as Melee Marth. Just lazily swing his arm and suddenly opponent is in his grasp.
...wait, he has very long tongue...Then maybe take that tongue out durig grab wait animation or grab attack. I dunno. But i'd rather not see it.
...there is only one character that has very long tongue...
...Ghirahim confirmed to be Greninja clone.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
No, he should have same grab as Melee Marth. Just lazily swing his arm and suddenly opponent is in his grasp.
...wait, he has very long tongue...Then maybe take that tongue out durig grab wait animation or grab attack. I dunno. But i'd rather not see it.
...there is only one character that has very long tongue...
...Ghirahim confirmed to be Greninja clone.
Water swords too!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

-------

-------

-------

-------

-------

With a moveset like this, he definitely makes Lloyd irrelevant (Nightmare for Master Race!). Now let's see Vaati and Impa top this in terms of best moveset. :troll:

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Esrb says hi.
Inb4 yoshi
And yet its fine to have Greninja...exist in the game.
With a moveset like this, he definitely makes Lloyd irrelevant (Nightmare for Master Race!). Now let's see Vaati and Impa top this in terms of best moveset. :troll:
PFFFFFFT. We all know Tingle is the best.
Water swords too!
No, make them...er...ph1r3 swords because f*** it.
Mewtwo dongtail tho
Don't judge him. He had to get something to replace his lost wavedash that saved him from being trash in Melee. Still not enough. I-Its just not the same.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Palutena's pole dancing tho, Peach pulling Toad from under her dress tho, Mewtwo dongtail tho
Let's not forget this is the same series where they can depict Master Hand with bloody bruises and they made the female trophies in Melee to easy to upskirt with the extra details.

Most of the Assist Trophies have more moveset than the frontrunners for the ballot.
Quite sad, really.
Eeeeeeexcept magnus :p

Inb4 dillon is a sonic clone ( he doesnt need to be)
You know who I want to see in Smash with any role whatsoever? Miror B. His theme, a trophy of him, an AT, a stage or even as a character, I want Miror B to be represented
I need both themes. They are so damn great.

Burruni

Smash Hero
According to the Hype Direct. Waluigi is clearly a Wario character. :troll:

... Did they change this in game?
Waluigi appears in the Mario series as a trophy.

Clearly we need a Wario & Waluigi Bro-Op game in the style of WarioWorld to rectify this.

Edit; You all don't know how bad I'd buy this.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
According to the Hype Direct. Waluigi is clearly a Wario character. :troll:
... Did they change this in game?
Yes, he's still a Mario character.
Which means Ashley is still the best Wario rep.
Eeeeeeexcept magnus :p
Inb4 dillon is a sonic clone ( he doesnt need to be)
Of course.
But there's so much I could do with the Zelda characters, Ashley, Phosphora, Dark Samus, Takamaru, etc. it's not even funny.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger

-------

-------

-------

-------

-------

I love this.

The feels from his AT announcement are coming back.

EDIT: Screw it, I'm voting for him in the Smash Ballot. Here's hoping he makes it in for the next game at least.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Yes, he's still a Mario character.
Which means Ashley is still the best Wario rep.

Of course.
But there's so much I could do with the Zelda characters, Ashley, Phosphora, Dark Samus, Takamaru, etc. it's not even funny.

They are ALL Mario characters. K. Rool, Ashley, Waluigi, Dixie Kong. They are all under the Mario umbrella.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Thank you all for the replies. I dunno why it was like that in the first place.
Waluigi appears in the Mario series as a trophy.

Clearly we need a Wario & Waluigi Bro-Op game in the style of WarioWorld to rectify this.

Edit; You all don't know how bad I'd buy this.
Maybe then I'd actually start to support the guy. It needs to happen though, sooner or later.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
They are ALL Mario characters. K. Rool, Ashley, Waluigi, Dixie Kong. They are all under the Mario umbrella.
Technically, its Mario who is under the DK umbrella. Donkey Kong was the first game, not Mario Bros.
Everything you knew before is false and meaningless.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
My entire "Want" list at this point (ranked more or less by series and not by want):

1) Waluigi
2) Ashley
3) Ganon
4) Bandana Dee
5) Anna
6) Tiki
7) Marshal (or another Rhythm Heaven Character... I just want the series in)
8) Inklings
9) Donbe & Hikari
11) Jack Frost
12) Black Mage

As you can see, my needs are pretty friggin' sated if these are how far out I'm going in want.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Technically, its Mario who is under the DK umbrella. Donkey Kong was the first game, not Mario Bros.
Everything you knew before is false and meaningless.
Yeah but Mario revived gaming. DK doesn't hold that umbrella anymore and hasn't had it in 30 years. 30 YEARS. It's called Mario Kart, Mario Party and Mario Sports for a REASON. It ain't call Donkey Kong Party, Wario Sports or Yoshi Kart

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Yeah but Mario revived gaming. DK doesn't hold that umbrella anymore and hasn't had it in 30 years. 30 YEARS. It's called Mario Kart, Mario Party and Mario Sports for a REASON. It ain't call Donkey Kong Party, Wario Sports or Yoshi Kart
Thats what they make you think. You just don't know the whole story. "Mario" is just a nickname for "DK"...Their goal always was to...expand...
...jokes aside, K.Rool and co' are not related to Mario anyhow just like Waluigi is not related to Wario Land and WarioWare. They appeared in Mario games, yes, but those were spin-offs.
The only characters I strongly want, and have always wanted, were Midna and Ghirahim.
My life is torture.
Tell me about it...At least they don't have upper jaw awkwardly moving up when they open their mouth.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Bandana Dee
Banjo Kazooie
Wolf
Black Mage
Takamaru
Daisy (Bring on the fresh salt)
Medusa (Hades fans, your move)
Anthony Higgs
Brash the ****ing Bear King K. Rool
Style Savvy (Because **** you)
Saki
Mona
Shantae
No particular order

I miss when ghirahim was the shoo-in and the most wanted zelda rep. at least he was interesting.

Pretty much half the newcomers were characters I wanted so my wanted list is much smaller than it used to be.

1. Viridi
2. ridley
3. viewtiful joe
4. wonder red
5. Melia
6. Rayman
7. Dixie Kong
8. Dillon
9. Lyn
10. Wonder poseman

in order. ending at 10 is a coincidence i dont really want anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom