• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Jeez Tecmo made that, I have that game and didn't notice. Are any Tecmo characters Smash friendly?
Techmo-Koei does the Warriors series of games. I guess you weren't watching closely thorughout the development of the game? Because Hyrule WARRIORS is a spinoff of Legend of Zelda based on Techmo Koei's "Warriors" games, mostly the original Dynasty Warriors. They also did Samurai Warriors (the latest game also having a cameo appearance of Takamaru in it), One Piece: Pirate Warriors (just released the third game), Dynasty Warriors Gundam, Warriors Orochi, etc. They even more recently did a Dragon Quest one (not released outside of Japan yet but it will; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_Heroes:_Yamiryuu_to_Sekaiju_no_Shiro).

Despite this I can't see Techmo getting a character in Smash at all.

D

Deleted member

Either way, if he didn't fly for no reasons for most of the fight in both Other M and MP3, then why that can't be the case in SSB?
I think it's the principle of the idea that Ridley wouldn't even have the option that bothers Sakurai, now that I've actually thought about it. After having each of Ridley's previous Smash appearances involve flying in the air and staying in the air at will, to suddenly leave Ridley unable to fly at his own leisure might not sit well with Sakurai.
Of course this could probably be worked around with a "Flight Meter" that can allow Ridley to fly until the meter is depleted, but I doubt the idea even came to Sakurai and while it sounds like a good compromise on paper, it may be horribly imbalanced upon execution.

And characters in SSB aren't any worse than that.
They're considerably less than Galacta Knight's caliber of an opponent for Meta Knight outside from possibly someone like Ganondorf.

Last one. I usually think of SSBM, SSBB and PM Bowsers before SSB4 Bowser. Its a better way to compare size when Ridley is so hunched over that Bowser's back problems aren't much.
The issue from my perspective is that is uses outdated references that, while may work for Brawl or P:M, may not be as ideal for Smash 4 due to Bowser's apparent decrease in size.

Well, Other M Ridley's overall design fits Other M content better because its threatening and monstrous...outside of his beak of course, which can be bent down like here:
No photoshop here.
How would you know if a hybrid design wouldn't fit the Other M content if we don't even know what it would look like?

But they were levitating while in those big energy balls and SSB uses anime more-or-less. Because i don't remember Charizard Seismic Toss-ing in Pokemon games (at least in the same way as in SSB4) nor do i remember Mewtwo talking with rather awesome and...handsome voice. I just remember him being all *weird noise* and *weird noise*.
Charizard doesn't Seismic Toss like in the anime.
In the anime, Charizard grabs the opponent, flies into the air, makes several loops (usually with the Earth appearing within the loops for dramatic effect), then flings the opponent to the ground.
In Smash, Charizard grabs the opponent, flies into the air, and divebombs the ground while holding the opponent.

Smash takes elements from the anime, but the Pokémon are not the same ones from the anime.
Movie 8 Lucario was the only Lucario shown to be capable of speech through Aura (so far). Smash Lucario is based off of the that Lucario in mannerisms and even the voice with Smash 4, but it's not specifically that Lucario. It's just a Lucario.
Mewtwo is no different. Just because Smash Mewtwo speaks through telepathy (though only in Japanese), has a line about questioning its own existence like Movie 1 Mewtwo, and even has Shadow Ball as an attack, it's still the same savage beast of battle from the games.

At your service.
...that thing can fly? Now thats...weird...
Even worse when you can have a small bird pokemon (don't remember its name) carrying his trainer effortlessly while Scyther can't do same despite having wings.
...now i can imagine that small bird pokemon carrying a fat Hiker (i mean fatter than usual) while Scyther looks at the whole scene and at his 10 years old trainer. Or just this:
Lol, I remember that comic.

But yes, Golurk can Fly.
....like a damn rocket.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Despite this I can't see Techmo getting a character in Smash at all.
I don't either for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ryu Hayabusa(or however you spell his last name) got in. I mean, Ninja Gaiden does have history with Nintendo, even if nowadays there isn't much interaction with each other. And if Ryu got a good mix of inspiration from both the NES NG games and the new NG games, I'm sure Ryu could fit in well without any family friendly issues or any issues of Ryu being Smash friendly.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I don't either for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if Ryu Hayabusa(or however you spell his last name) got in. I mean, Ninja Gaiden does have history with Nintendo, even if nowadays there isn't much interaction with each other. And if Ryu got a good mix of inspiration from both the NES NG games and the new NG games, I'm sure Ryu could fit in well without any family friendly issues or any issues of Ryu being Smash friendly.
There is a Ninja Gaiden game on the Wii U

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I think it's the principle of the idea that Ridley wouldn't even have the option that bothers Sakurai, now that I've actually thought about it. After having each of Ridley's previous Smash appearances involve flying in the air and staying in the air at will, to suddenly leave Ridley unable to fly at his own leisure might not sit well with Sakurai.
Of course this could probably be worked around with a "Flight Meter" that can allow Ridley to fly until the meter is depleted, but I doubt the idea even came to Sakurai and while it sounds like a good compromise on paper, it may be horribly imbalanced upon execution.
If we're going to think of how Sakurai would feel about it, then its pointless because only Sakurai know how he feels about it.
ROB has this kind of thing for his Up B.[/quote]
They're considerably less than Galacta Knight's caliber of an opponent for Meta Knight outside from possibly someone like Ganondorf.
Palutena, Samus, Bowser (more-or-less), Shulk, etc. should at least be tough opponents.
The issue from my perspective is that is uses outdated references that, while may work for Brawl or P:M, may not be as ideal for Smash 4 due to Bowser's apparent decrease in size.
Then use DK i guess? Or he still is smaller than Bowser?
How would you know if a hybrid design wouldn't fit the Other M content if we don't even know what it would look like?
...don't know...but it certainly will have to have similar look (realistic [more like as realistic as a purple space dragon can get], threatening, monstrous).
Charizard doesn't Seismic Toss like in the anime.
In the anime, Charizard grabs the opponent, flies into the air, makes several loops (usually with the Earth appearing within the loops for dramatic effect), then flings the opponent to the ground.
In Smash, Charizard grabs the opponent, flies into the air, and divebombs the ground while holding the opponent.
Oh, ok.
Smash takes elements from the anime, but the Pokémon are not the same ones from the anime.
Movie 8 Lucario was the only Lucario shown to be capable of speech through Aura (so far). Smash Lucario is based off of the that Lucario in mannerisms and even the voice with Smash 4, but it's not specifically that Lucario. It's just a Lucario.
Mewtwo is no different. Just because Smash Mewtwo speaks through telepathy (though only in Japanese), has a line about questioning its own existence like Movie 1 Mewtwo, and even has Shadow Ball as an attack, it's still the same savage beast of battle from the games.
There is only one Mewtwo. Both have same backstory and appearance and maybe even attacks (well, he certainly had same moveset in Origins, where he was a very fast guy but on the ground and he doesn't speaks here). So, why its not THAT Mewtwo?
IMO, he is a joke compared to him from games.
Lol, I remember that comic.

But yes, Golurk can Fly.
....like a damn rocket.
Thats f***ing awesome. It actually makes sense. I though he was like going all Superman minus the go-back-into-the-future-by-going-around-the-Earth bulls**t.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

My idea is that Ridley's a light-mid weight and takes extra damage or loses weight when in flight mode
I remember someone saying Golurk for Smash. That's a neat Gen V idea, though Zoroark is the most popular choice

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Was going to wonder about what N3ON meant by Aqua bringing more to the table than the Kamui Avatars from FE if, then I've found this on the Fire Emblem wiki.

Turns out that this mysterious dancer is a spear wielded all along, which is good and bad since Ephraim is officially irrelevant. Not like it matters since Roy's inclusion makes any FE if character's inclusion unlikely until the next game.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Was going to wonder about what N3ON meant by Aqua bringing more to the table than the Kamui Avatars from FE if, then I've found this on the Fire Emblem wiki.

Turns out that this mysterious dancer is a spear wielded all along, which is good and bad since Ephraim is officially irrelevant. Not like it matters since Roy's inclusion makes any FE if character's inclusion unlikely until the next game.
Sakurai doesn't care about reps, and this looks like Palutena in terms of outfits, only without heels

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I saw what you did there. It was quite the cutting edge thing to say.
Ow theEdge.

So on the topic of Pokémon.
"But we weren't'"

On the topic of Pokémon, how would you react when Pidgey was DLC?
Would there be backtracking (Yeah duh hes so unique) or would people still hate him?

Here's the thread by the non shamelessplugging way:
nhttp://smashboards.com/threads/the-not-so-big-bird-pidgey-for-smash-dlc.399587/

Discuss!

Burruni

Smash Hero
Ow theEdge.

"But we weren't'"

Would there be backtracking (Yeah duh hes so unique) or would people still hate him?

nhttp://smashboards.com/threads/the-not-so-big-bird-pidgey-for-smash-dlc.399587/

Discuss!
Incredibly insignificant pestering pokemon whose archetype is encompassed by the Fletchling Pokeball?

Get back to me when you're promoting Sceptile.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Ow theEdge.

"But we weren't'"

Discuss!
I say hate, too much Gen 1 stuff that isn't Gengar

Dont want pidgey because joke.

Dont want sceptile either. (Boring. Importance greatly exagerated, especially the type trio part.)

Don't want gengar because not dusknoir.

Honestly the only pokemon i care for that arent already playable are nidoking, krookodile, and gallade/gardevoir who all have no shot.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
"But gaiz, Aqua would be a Bandanna Dee clone if she's playable! We are better off having Camilla instead since she's an axe wielder and she stars in the more popular version of If."

Direct quotation from Gamefaqs. :troll:

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
But Camilla would be a Hector clone
There's reason why Hector and Lyn has more support than Eliwood for which he could have been a clone of his own son in Smash.

Eliwood fans: "But but but but he invented Teh Ph1re before it was mainstream" :(

Pakky

Smash Hero
Dont want pidgey because joke.

Dont want sceptile either. (Boring. Importance greatly exagerated, especially the type trio part.)

Don't want gengar because not dusknoir.

Honestly the only pokemon i care for that arent already playable are nidoking, krookodile, and gallade/gardevoir who all have no shot.
I personally don't think there should be anymore Pokemon period in Smash. Six is a very symbolic number to the Pokemon series and that's how many we have in smash; a full team you might say. All having some significant importance to the series or at least some features that help distinguish themselves from the rest.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I personally don't think there should be anymore Pokemon period in Smash. Six is a very symbolic number to the Pokemon series and that's how many we have in smash; a full team you might say. All having some significant importance to the series or at least some features that help distinguish themselves from the rest.
By that logic we should only got one Metroid character because Samus is on her own. Wait a sec

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ridley is too big.

Adam has no fans.

Sylux is irrelevant

Mother Brain is just "A brain in a jar " with no moveset potential.

Yep, Metroid totally has some worthy characters other than Dark Samus that should be playable.

Burruni

Smash Hero
We need more pestering Pokémon instead of another starter.

Did Sceptile begin a whole archetype?
I think not.
We currently have 6 Pokemon are on the roster. Only 2 are true starters (:4charizard::4greninja:) with :4pikachu:getting the special treatment of Yellow due to being the mascot. :4jigglypuff:is the generic Pokemon, :4lucario: is that rare badass of the region and :4mewtwo:is the legendary.

People outcry for Starters because they tend to be the most important, iconic, and interesting Pokemon for a region.

Not as some representative of the early-bird archetype or a relic of gen 1 history, there is little that separates Pidgey from Hoothoot, Tailow, Starly, Pidove, or Fletchling in regards to Smash.

Let's look at the major Pokemon contenders that we had from early speculation of Sm4sh to standing DLC who aren't starters..

:pichumelee::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4mewtwo:: Veterans. Smash seniority matters above all other factors. Plus Mewtwo was always popular.
Plusle & Minun: The rumors of Pra_Mai in the Forbidden 7 Data.
Zoroark: The :4lucario:of Unova.
Eevee: The Pokemon that embodies Evolution and recently received the 8th Eeveelution of Sylveon.
Meowth: Predominantly from the show, this Pokemon had somewhere around :4jigglypuff:popularity but never had the ease of programming due to :kirby64: to get in.

Hawlucha: .....It's a luchador. That's pretty much it. Had demand as a moveset more than the value of the Pokemon.

Pidgey doesn't have the ties to Smash, highlighted usage by Gamefreak, popularity, or requested moveset niche on the levels of those with whom it contends as an already incredibly unlikely 2nd DLC Pokemon.

I still want an explanation on why Dark Samus got the shaft
Was in only 2 games. One if not both of which occured before Brawl development. That's my guess.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
By that logic we should only got one Metroid character because Samus is on her own. Wait a sec
Well no, because there is Ridley. In pokemon the whole protagonist antagonist thing is blurred because ultimately those who fit those roles aren't the stars of the series. Samus, and Ridley are constants and the plot usually includes both of them in some way as major players so, yeah.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well no, because there is Ridley. In pokemon the whole protagonist antagonist thing is blurred because ultimately those who fit those roles aren't the stars of the series. Samus, and Ridley are constants and the plot usually includes both of them in some way as major players so, yeah.
I was joking how that I'm fairly certain Pokemon will get more characters in the future as it's the second best selling video game frnchise ever
We currently have 6 Pokemon are on the roster. Only 2 are true starters (:4charizard::4greninja:) with :4pikachu:getting the special treatment of Yellow due to being the mascot. :4jigglypuff:is the generic Pokemon, :4lucario: is that rare badass of the region and :4mewtwo:is the legendary.

People outcry for Starters because they tend to be the most important, iconic, and interesting Pokemon for a region.

Not as some representative of the early-bird archetype or a relic of gen 1 history, there is little that separates Pidgey from Hoothoot, Tailow, Starly, Pidove, or Fletchling in regards to Smash.

Let's look at the major Pokemon contenders that we had from early speculation of Sm4sh to standing DLC who aren't starters..

:pichumelee::4jigglypuff::4lucario::4mewtwo:: Veterans. Smash seniority matters above all other factors. Plus Mewtwo was always popular.
Plusle & Minun: The rumors of Pra_Mai in the Forbidden 7 Data.
Zoroark: The :4lucario:of Unova.
Eevee: The Pokemon that embodies Evolution and recently received the 8th Eeveelution of Sylveon.
Meowth: Predominantly from the show, this Pokemon had somewhere around :4jigglypuff:popularity but never had the ease of programming due to :kirby64: to get in.

Hawlucha: .....It's a luchador. That's pretty much it. Had demand as a moveset more than the value of the Pokemon.

Pidgey doesn't have the ties to Smash, highlighted usage by Gamefreak, popularity, or requested moveset niche on the levels of those with whom it contends as an already incredibly unlikely 2nd DLC Pokemon.

Was in only 2 games. One if not both of which occured before Brawl development. That's my guess.
Technically three games

Pakky

Smash Hero
Bringing things up to date with the state of current affairs but reinforcing what you said . Jiggs is a fairy part of the new typing introduced in X&Y, Lucario in lore was the first pokemon in Kalos to Mega evolve, which makes him the lore progenitor of a mechanic that will be carried through the series from here on out. Mewtwo and Charizard are the only pokemon out of 700 or so to have two of these aforementioned, evolved forms and Mewtwo was the first one in real world time to do such.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom