• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I personally think people look too deep into stuff that isn't there. There were 6 DLC slots including Mewtwo in the data. We can assume that these spots are:

1) 6 characters pre-planned as DLC
2) 5 characters pre-planned as DLC + Ballot character
3) 2 Waves of DLC, first 6, and then Ballot characters (who knows how many?)

Those are pretty much the only plausible ideas I can think of with DLC. I highly doubt we'd get a butt ton, but I do think we're getting the six we saw in the data.

Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, Ryu, Wolf +1 other fits perfectly, and would essentially complete the veterans of the series. I feel that Ice Climbers are doomed because of their issues, and the Pokemon that are left are superfluous in my opinion as well. The only one I think should come back is Snake (because of his moveset and gaming significance as a 3rd Party character). Please do not respond to me with, "He's not Nintendo enough!" because I will slap your ****. I've gone over that way too many times for my own health.

The Gematsu leak lends credibility to the idea that DLC was planned at some point in development because Sal had said at one point that, "One of Lucas or Ness may be cut. The cut character may be added as DLC, but some of the staff doesn't like that idea." So yeah, DLC was a thing before the game finished.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I personally think people look too deep into stuff that isn't there. There were 6 DLC slots including Mewtwo in the data. We can assume that these spots are:

Those are pretty much the only plausible ideas I can think of with DLC. I highly doubt we'd get a butt ton, but I do think we're getting the six we saw in the data.

Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, Ryu, Wolf +1 other fits perfectly, and would essentially complete the veterans of the series. I feel that Ice Climbers are doomed because of their issues, and the Pokemon that are left are superfluous in my opinion as well. The only one I think should come back is Snake (because of his moveset and gaming significance as a 3rd Party character). Please do not respond to me with, "He's not Nintendo enough!" because I will slap your ****. I've gone over that way too many times for my own health.

The Gematsu leak lends credibility to the idea that DLC was planned at some point in development because Sal had said at one point that, "One of Lucas or Ness may be cut. The cut character may be added as DLC, but some of the staff doesn't like that idea." So yeah, DLC was a thing before the game finished.
I agree with everything, especially with what's in bold. The pokemon left are either irrelevant or unimportant, the last one who held any amount of weight was Mewtwo.

Also at this point unless an upset happens (go i hope not) The King or the inkling or going to be that "+1" I'm riding on the King, because of personal reasons as well as commonly known reasons.

D

Deleted member

Its not like ZSS you see in SSB4 is Other M ZSS.
Preciesly my point. This is the one thing that upsets me about Sakurai's point on Ridley.
I can get not wanting to drastically alter his pre-existing design for the basis of a playable character, but why not just make a new design? Zero Suit Samus combines elements from both Zero Mission and Other M (the former's more athletic build and the latter's suit appearance and facial features), so why not make a hybrid Ridley (which is more than just Other M Ridley with Brawl Ridley's wings/tail)?

Didn't Mew VS Mewtwo fight happened pretty much like a DBZ fight?
Most of the Mew/Mewtwo fight was slamming into each other in big energy balls. (Do I need to rephrase that?)
And that's strictly anime logic.

Either way, if he didn't fly for no reasons for most of the fight in both Other M and MP3, then why that can't be the case in SSB?

And characters in SSB aren't any worse than that.

Last one. I usually think of SSBM, SSBB and PM Bowsers before SSB4 Bowser. Its a better way to compare size when Ridley is so hunched over that Bowser's back problems aren't much.
I'll respond to these when I get home from work; ran out of time. (Yes, I responded to the later part before the top; it was funny.)

...maybe they just feel bad for the enviroment?...
...yeah, thats ridicolous. Even worse with that two-headed ostrich, who certainly wouldn't be able to take off fast enough.
Ok, that was a good way to start my morning. I needed that, thanks!
But yeah, never did get why the wingless ostrich-dodos were able to learn "Fly" but something like Scyther can't.
....then we have Golurk.

....GameFreak hates Scyther, don't they?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, they rose to popularity because of the Gematsu leak, so I think a lot of their support was just people bandwagon-ing. When the ghost enemy was confirmed in Smash Run, they were being treated as an inevitability. Not surprising that they immediately fell off once the final roster was out.

However, given extremely outdated Gematsu turned out to be, it won't surprise me if they were scrapped during the planning process. They don't really have a whole lot to work on - other RH characters like the Wrestler or the Samurai or the Karate Kid have a lot more to improvise upon.

I think the idea might be revisited for the next game, but we may see a different character instead.

:231:
I disagree. Having played Rhythm Paradise recently, I can certainly see what all the hype is about. They represent a perfect tabula rasa, a G&W or Pac-Man for their own series, upon which anything can be applied. All of the movesets I've seen for them incorporate elements of the series' most iconic rhythm games: creating a sonic wave with their own voices, striking with tennis racquets and baseball bats, bouncing high on a see-saw, summoning monkeys, birds, fish and even other rhythm friends - there's a wide variety of content with which to work if creative liberties are willingly taken.

Now that support for the Kids has reduced itself to a few diehard fans, I certainly wouldn't imagine they'd get in purely on fan popularity. The fact that they were even considered at all is, I think, very interesting, and offers quite the exciting opportunity if Sakurai is willing to reach out and take a chance.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well, they rose to popularity because of the Gematsu leak, so I think a lot of their support was just people bandwagon-ing. When the ghost enemy was confirmed in Smash Run, they were being treated as an inevitability. Not surprising that they immediately fell off once the final roster was out.

However, given extremely outdated Gematsu turned out to be, it won't surprise me if they were scrapped during the planning process. They don't really have a whole lot to work on - other RH characters like the Wrestler or the Samurai or the Karate Kid have a lot more to improvise upon.

I think the idea might be revisited for the next game, but we may see a different character instead.

:231:
Does anyone else think Marshal could be playable? Being a member of the Rhythm League, he could draw inspiration for his moveset from all of the Rhythm Heaven mini games. Personally, I like this better than Karate Joe, The Wrestler, and the Chorus Kids, who could only take moves from Karate Man, Ringside, and Glee Club respectively. Well... I guess the Chorus Kids could take moves from other mini games, but it would a big stretch for them.

He's not Nintendo enough! :p ............. Nah I'm kidding. I really want Snake back too.
Here is my opinion on veterans.
:wolf: I don't even have to defend him. We all know why he should be in.
:ivysaur:and:squirtle: Everyone that was cut from Brawl was unique, and Squirtle and Ivysaur are no exception. I don't understand why everyone objects to their inclusion. I'm tired of hearing "Sceptile would be better than Ivysaur" (Not in the replacement of Ivysaur he wouldn't), "Venusaur, and Blastoise would be better" (I understand Blastoise, but Venusaur? Venusaur wouldn't work at all!), "No Pokémon Trainer" (Yeah. I know. That's why I say they should be separate characters), "We have too many Pokémon" (At least I'm not asking for newcomers like those, Sceptile, Blastoise, and Venusaur fans!)
:pt:You could give him one Pokémon now, and two more next game. (Also, give him a better portrait. This one creeps me out)
:popo:Erm... Give Nana Luma's AI, and make them 8-bit?...Yeah these guys probably aren't happening. (Unless Solo Popo becomes a thing. It probably won't be more than just a meme though.)
:snake: Unique veteran. Nuff said.
:younglinkmelee:If we can get Marth with a tipper, Marth without a specified sweet spot, and Marth with a....um....Hilter?.....Then we can have three Links dangit!
:pichumelee:Haters can just go away. Pichu would be so adorable in ssb4, and be "good". And then we can get rid of the Pikachu is Melee Pichu argument. Pikachu got new physics, and stole Pichu's alt. If Pikachu was Melee Pichu, Then it would be a freaking Pichu!

Does anyone else think Marshal could be playable? Being a member of the Rhythm League, he could draw inspiration for his moveset from all of the Rhythm Heaven mini games. Personally, I like this better than Karate Joe, The Wrestler, and the Chorus Kids, who could only take moves from Karate Man, Ringside, and Glee Club respectively. Well... I guess the Chorus Kids could take moves from other mini games, but it would a big stretch for them.

He's not Nintendo enough! :p ............. Nah I'm kidding. I really want Snake back too.
Here is my opinion on veterans.
:wolf: I don't even have to defend him. We all know why he should be in.
:ivysaur:and:squirtle: Everyone that was cut from Brawl was unique, and Squirtle and Ivysaur are no exception. I don't understand why everyone objects to their inclusion. I'm tired of hearing "Sceptile would be better than Ivysaur" (Not in the replacement of Ivysaur he wouldn't), "Venusaur, and Blastoise would be better" (I understand Blastoise, but Venusaur? Venusaur wouldn't work at all!), "No Pokémon Trainer" (Yeah. I know. That's why I say they should be separate characters), "We have too many Pokémon" (At least I'm not asking for newcomers like those, Sceptile, Blastoise, and Venusaur fans!)
:pt:You could give him one Pokémon now, and two more next game. (Also, give him a better portrait. This one creeps me out)
:popo:Erm... Give Nana Luma's AI, and make them 8-bit?...Yeah these guys probably aren't happening. (Unless Solo Popo becomes a thing. It probably won't be more than just a meme though.)
:snake: Unique veteran. Nuff said.
:younglinkmelee:If we can get Marth with a tipper, Marth without a specified sweet spot, and Marth with a....um....Hilter?.....Then we can have three Links dangit!
:pichumelee:Haters can just go away. Pichu would be so adorable in ssb4, and be "good". And then we can get rid of the Pikachu is Melee Pichu argument. Pikachu got new physics, and stole Pichu's alt. If Pikachu was Melee Pichu, Then it would be a freaking Pichu!
what about marshall makes it less of a stretch than the chorus kids?

SSb4 even implies that he is related to them. . .

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Preciesly my point. This is the one thing that upsets me about Sakurai's point on Ridley.
I can get not wanting to drastically alter his pre-existing design for the basis of a playable character, but why not just make a new design? Zero Suit Samus combines elements from both Zero Mission and Other M (the former's more athletic build and the latter's suit appearance and facial features), so why not make a hybrid Ridley (which is more than just Other M Ridley with Brawl Ridley's wings/tail)?
Well, Other M Ridley's overall design fits Other M content better because its threatening and monstrous...outside of his beak of course, which can be bent down like here:
No photoshop here.
Most of the Mew/Mewtwo fight was slamming into each other in big energy balls. (Do I need to rephrase that?)
And that's strictly anime logic.
But they were levitating while in those big energy balls and SSB uses anime more-or-less. Because i don't remember Charizard Seismic Toss-ing in Pokemon games (at least in the same way as in SSB4) nor do i remember Mewtwo talking with rather awesome and...handsome voice. I just remember him being all *weird noise* and *weird noise*.
I'll respond to these when I get home from work; ran out of time. (Yes, I responded to the later part before the top; it was funny.)
Gotta wait.
Ok, that was a good way to start my morning. I needed that, thanks!
But yeah, never did get why the wingless ostrich-dodos were able to learn "Fly" but something like Scyther can't.
....then we have Golurk.

....GameFreak hates Scyther, don't they?

At your service.
...that thing can fly? Now thats...weird...
Even worse when you can have a small bird pokemon (don't remember its name) carrying his trainer effortlessly while Scyther can't do same despite having wings.
...now i can imagine that small bird pokemon carrying a fat Hiker (i mean fatter than usual) while Scyther looks at the whole scene and at his 10 years old trainer. Or just this:

That wouldn't help much and would be rather stupid. Being 8-bit isn't part of them like being flat is for G&W and why would they suddenly get worse in appearance than previous games?
Solo Popo will be worthless s**t. Ice Climbers are popular because they are very unique, not because of who they are.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
How high are the chances of Subspace Emissary 2? I'm sure you guys have thought about how cool that would be what with the new characters and all. But was this already debunked? Can we at least hope for a Melee Adventure Mode?

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
That doesn't mean anything. Its all PR talk. I highly doubt all of these characters were created 100% after release, some were probably cut partway through development. Lucas and Wolf especially. Mewtwo and other newcomers probably weren't planned, but I doubt it in the case of Lucas/Wolf. That doesn't mean they were even mostly finished, they could've been cut much earlier and didn't have much going for them.
I don't doubt that it is possible they were worked on, in fact I would thought it likely before Sakurai's comment about authentic DLC. So could he be essentially lying? Sure, but if thats true, I could see how some people might feel cheated out of Lucas, and having to pay for him now. I'm not complaining though. Whether he was cut pre-development or he was halfway done, I'd bend over and fork out 25 bucks for him if they asked.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
How high are the chances of Subspace Emissary 2? I'm sure you guys have thought about how cool that would be what with the new characters and all. But was this already debunked? Can we at least hope for a Melee Adventure Mode?
SSE2? Too much work for a DLC. Melee Adventure mode? Can be done easily. Pretty much port Smash Run and make new levels based off certain things like, say, a LoZ dungeon, Metroid lab of some kind, something from KI (no doubt it will be done), Super Mario Bros. level, etc. No cutscenes to make, no plot required, no super special coding and it will sell well enough considering how bad SSB for WiiU's default single-player mode is.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Oh. I haven't played the second game, thanks.
No problem.

Mallo would be a really interesting character to see. It seems Nintendo is promoting him as he got some toys in Japan and he has three different games now. According to this, Pushmo was one of the best selling eShop games.

Making a moveset for him would be tricky. I like your standard B idea and the bird could work as a recovery. But what about his other attacks. He is a sumo wrestler so he can fight. Should he have a projectile? Just some things to think about.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
What are the chances of another Namco character being in, because honestly I can't see anyone from Tekken or Soulcalibur

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What are the chances of another Namco character being in, because honestly I can't see anyone from Tekken or Soulcalibur
If Capcom gets 2 characters then I think Namco should get 2 aswell, Either Nightmare from Soul Caliber or Lloyd Irving are the most popular Namco characters I've seen, though I want Nightmare because dat sexy beast

Pakky

Smash Hero
If Capcom gets 2 characters then I think Namco should get 2 aswell, Either Nightmare from Soul Caliber or Lloyd Irving are the most popular Namco characters I've seen, though I want Nightmare because dat sexy beast
Nightmare is a nice choice he's definitely one of the most recognizable from that series , Ivy is a silly dream, but a man can dream. What is a Lloyd?
-looks him up

Ah okay, I prefer Nightmare.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
He's from the Tales RPG games, he was the most popular choice for Namco characters iirc
Okay, well there no denying he would fit, and there aren't too many duel wielding characters so okay. He gives me a Shulk vibe but I know nothing about Tales so, yeah.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That wouldn't help much and would be rather stupid. Being 8-bit isn't part of them like being flat is for G&W and why would they suddenly get worse in appearance than previous games?
Solo Popo will be worthless s**t. Ice Climbers are popular because they are very unique, not because of who they are.
1: That's why I said: "Yeah, These guys probably aren't happening"
2: That's why also said:"It probably wont be anything more than a meme though"
3: Well I guess nobody likes Roy, Lucina, Ganondorf, Dark Pit, and Toon Link then. Seriously though, Smash may have boosted their popularity, but that doesn't mean they aren't liked as characters.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Guys, if you believe that dlc means one character every two months, don't get too excited over E3. The last time a character was announced 6 months before it came out, it was Mewtwo, and all we got back then was a look at his model. Don't expect three character trailers, at the very least.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Guys, if you believe that dlc means one character every two months, don't get too excited over E3. The last time a character was announced 6 months before it came out, it was Mewtwo, and all we got back then was a look at his model. Don't expect three character trailers, at the very least.
Party pooper, don't kill the vibe. But yeah, this is E3, not some random Nintendo event and historically, three characters have shown up, so why not now?

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Who're you to tell us what to expect, hmm? :confused: jk jk

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Too bad Nightmare was pwned by Guts in Death Battle. :troll:

Jokes aside, Nightmare would be a great choice since we don't have a zweilhandler fighter in the roster yet (Falcondorl still remains the same after all these years). Not to mention Soul Calibur II sold the best on the GameCube despite Link's guest inclusion.

Burruni

Smash Hero
what about marshall makes it less of a stretch than the chorus kids?

SSb4 even implies that he is related to them. . .
Because depending on how Chorus Kids may have been programmed in a similar manner to Icies, they may have been too much for 3DS.

Marshal as an individual fighter, could work like :4gaw: as a motley moveset with concepts and animations ripped from the dozens of mini-games that construct the Rhythm Heaven Experience. I have a moveset designed that does just that and cites each mini-game that the animation is from.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Mallo? I've made a support thread for him, although I think it's locked now for some reason.... I would still like to see him (Or at least a stage from his series) in Smash imo. He only has a trophy in the 3DS version so far.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Mallo? I've made a support thread for him, although I think it's locked now for some reason.... I would still like to see him (Or at least a stage from his series) in Smash imo. He only has a trophy in the 3DS version so far.
Mallo is nifty, he's always been one of my low-key supports. :3

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
1: That's why I said: "Yeah, These guys probably aren't happening"
2: That's why also said:"It probably wont be anything more than a meme though"
3: Well I guess nobody likes Roy, Lucina, Ganondorf, Dark Pit, and Toon Link then. Seriously though, Smash may have boosted their popularity, but that doesn't mean they aren't liked as characters.
3. I didn't said characters are popular because they are unique. I said Ice Climbers are popular because of it and not because of who they are (you can replace them with Mario and Luigi and nothing will change outside of design). Others have it the other way (Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Mewtwo...and i think Mewtwo).

Pakky

Smash Hero
What would the final smashes of the expected DLC characters be?

I know Lucas has a better finisher than the one he had in Brawl.

*Looked up his signature move

Okay is PK Love too hard to make, or are they going to take the lazy way out and give him back his old final smash from Brawl?

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
What would the final smashes of the expected DLC characters be?

I know Lucas has a better finisher than the one he had in Brawl.

*Looked up his signature move

Okay is PK Love too hard to make, or are they going to take the lazy way out and give him back his old final smash from Brawl?
I liked Lucas's Starstorm. I personally hope it returns.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I wonder if they would make his final Smash move left and right instead of a degree angle like Ness does....

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
So what about Roy? Will he have Critical Hit or something different?

D

Deleted member

I'm not sure why you mentioned #1 as an option. I'm certain we're getting a ballot character. I think if anything, Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu being pre-planned and Wolf and one other being a ballot character is more plausible thought I fully expect Wolf as pre-planned.

Thought if there are six pre-planned characters, I wonder if Chorus Kids might be possible? Granted their original concept probably can't work out anymore but I could see Sakurai making significant changes to them to where they can work without issue on the 3DS given that they are newcomers and not veterans like Ice Climbers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom