• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Indeed. Regardless of fan demand, it usually is down to Sakurai and he could just decide something is better than those two.
Fan Demand is only really special in cases like Sonic or Megaman.
No, I was talking about Takamaru and Lip being picked because both characters are dormant being a farce. By technically standards the statement is wrong regardless of whether or not there is a group being picked out, because both characters have had significant appearances in more recent years. Not just a mere cameo in something like WarioWare, The Mysterious Murasame Castle gained a pseudo-sequel in Samurai Warriors 3 and Panel de Pon got a sequel in Nintendo Puzzle Collection. By technically standards, they're no different from something like Little Mac.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
When I say re-imagined Mach Rider, I meant like, completely revamped, like Pit.

For example, I was thinking he would have his two plasma blasters that can transform into various shapes, like chains, a cannon, and, of course, a motorcycle.

Most of his melee options involve the chains, while his specials bring out the guns and bike.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
When I say re-imagined Mach Rider, I meant like, completely revamped, like Pit.

For example, I was thinking he would have his two plasma blasters that can transform into various shapes, like chains, a cannon, and, of course, a motorcycle.

Most of his melee options involve the chains, while his specials bring out the guns and bike.
That would be interesting. I don't think that's all too plausible, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I do think the retro we get will be revamped in some form. Some characters, like Takamaru, might need just a design change and not too much revamping, while I think others will require a lot more.

Gunla

wow, gaming!
BRoomer
No, I was talking about Takamaru and Lip being picked because both characters are dormant being a farce. By technically standards the statement is wrong regardless of whether or not there is a group being picked out, because both characters have had significant appearances in more recent years. Not just a mere cameo in something like WarioWare, The Mysterious Murasame Castle gained a pseudo-sequel in Samurai Warriors 3 and Panel de Pon got a sequel in Nintendo Puzzle Collection. By technically standards, they're no different from something like Little Mac.
I was also noting those, likely should have been a tad more up front about it. My apologies. :facepalm:

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Should Mach Rider be a mounted character, should he be on his motorcycle the whole time? I think this would be pretty unique, as we haven't had one before.
That would be interesting. I'm unsure as to how it would work out, but it's a interesting concept at the least.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I disagree. It would make perfect sense to reveal newcomers before veterans so long as they are not based on a veteran in some way like Dixie, Rosalina, or a Toon character.
It might make sense to do so without it, but the fact still stands that the only veteran series to get a newcomer is Mario; a complete series.

Regardless of whether all characters are used or not, it still might be something to consider.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Which part isn't plausible? I think Mach Rider himself is unlikely, but a revamp in that vein would be very likely if he appeared.
That said, likelihood sucks, I don't talk about it.
I don't think it would be to that great of an extent personally. I also guess part of it is also transforming blasters kinda remind me of how Pit changed his bow into dual swords, which and I don't think we'd see something similar to that again.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think he could work as a mounted character because official art shows his bike to be not that much larger than him.

He could have a moveset where he has moves on and off his bike, using chains and guns.
For example, he uses the bike on the ground, but for aerial moves he jumps off of it and attacks. Honestly, the way I'm seeing it is hard to describe, but I can say M Rider's bike doesn't act as an item like the Wario Bike, it's his thing, you can't break it, and he can summon it if it disappears.

Last edited:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I don't think it's feasible to have the Mach Rider always riding. For one, it'll look really silly if he can only move as slow fast as the other players, and it'd be unmanageable if he moved much faster than them.

Imagine playing an entire match as Wario on his bike... eek.

Last edited:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I made an entire mounted moveset for Excitebiker when he was on my roster.
Who else was on that roster?
I think he could work as a mounted character because official art shows his bike to be not that much larger than him.

He could have a moveset where he has moves on and off his bike, using chains and guns.
For example, he uses the bike on the ground, but for aerial moves he jumps off of it and attacks. Honestly, the way I'm seeing it is hard to describe, but I can say M Rider's bike doesn't act as an item like the Wario Bike, it's his thing, you can't break it, and he can summon it if it disappears.
Yeah, I was thinking of something like this. Hey, maybe Mach Rider has super human strength and can hold the bike in one hand in midair and shoot with a gun in the other, and also ride the bike one handed, with chains in the other hand too.

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
I love the idea of Excite Driver, representing all of the Excite games, where he stands and uses the bike for attacks primarily, but the Excitebots and the Excite Truck are also Implemented in his moveset.

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
Here's my quick attempt at a Mounted Mach Rider

Normal Attacks:

Neutral Attack (Combo) – 3 standard punches
Dash Attack - Moving Wheelie
Side Tilt – Stationary Wheelie and drop
Up Tilt - Stationary Wheelie and drop (Think Falcon/Samus utilt)
Down Tilt – Low shots forward

Smash:

Side Smash – Slams forward w/ motorcycle, ala Wario Shoulder Bash
Up Smash – Throws pistol up (DACUS potential)
Down Smash – Short hop up, fall creates shockwave esque damage

Aerial Attacks:

Neutral Aerial – Shoots forward
Forward Aerial – Motorcycle tilts forward, knocking opponents down or back
Back Aerial – Mach Rider does elbows behind him
Up Aerial – Mach Rider shoots upward
Down Aerial – Fires a downwards shot

Grabs & Throws:

Pummel – Hits them with his fist
Forward Throw – Bashes them on the front of the motorcycle before throwing
Back Throw – Holds him infront of Mach Rider, shoots him, throws back
Up Throw – Throws you up, then throws his pistol up.
Down Throw – throws you on the ground, rides over you.

Special Moves:

Standard – Mach Speed: Gives Mach Rider a temporary speed boost (5ish seconds?) 1 minute cool down
Side – Boost!: Gains horizontal movementum and moves horizontally. Great for horizontal recovery.
Up – Mach Jump: Low hop upwards. Not a strong vertical recovery character
Down – Mach Counter: It's a counter. This is here because I didn't have a good idea.
Final Smash – Gunning Biker: Improves in speed and has autofire on his pistols.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I had some ideas for Mach Rider. He could have a multi-function gun that can switch between different modes, such as a rapid fire one, a freezing shots one, a grenade launcher one and other different modes. He could also use a futuristic-looking armor that has a built-in jetpack for recovering. He could teleport his bike to the stage with some sort of controller that looks like a Wii Remote. What do you think of it?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Chains? Are we talking about Mach Rider or Ghost Rider? That should totally be his alt.

I'll still continue to support Takamaru despite what others say, I don't support him because of his "popularity" or "shoe-in" status, I just want him in the game.
I don't particularly care about any other retro candidates, though Mach would certainly be cool. Unless he just ends up Falcondorf 2.0.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Hey guys. Do you want Miis in Smash Bros.? I had an idea of how Miis could be implemented. The series is about a kid playing with his toys, imagining what a fight between Nintendo's greatest characters would look like. Master Hand and Crazy Hand are the hands of the kid. Smash 4 could introduce Master Head, which is the kid's head. Wonder how it looks like? It looks like the face of your Mii! That way Miis can be in the game and you don't need to worry about fighting against random famous people in online matches.

Last edited:

CalumG

Smash Lord
I love the idea of Excite Driver, representing all of the Excite games, where he stands and uses the bike for attacks primarily, but the Excitebots and the Excite Truck are also Implemented in his moveset.
I made an entire mounted moveset for Excitebiker when he was on my roster.
Nice to see there are still others out there - Excitebiker is one of my guilty pleasure character choices.

It's not like the series is long-forgotten in time or anything; there's been an Excite___ title on pretty much every home Nintendo console (except maybe the Gamecube?), it's a Nintendo classic, and Sakurai has even mentioned consideration for Excitebiker in the past (sure, he said he couldn't think of how Excitebiker would work in the air... but Villager, blah blah blah). I'm not advocating Excitebiker as an obvious choice, but he's not completely down-and-out like the general opinion of him would suggest. Imagine Ice Climbers vs. Little Mac vs. Pit vs. Excitebiker? It'd be awesome to see so many NES all-stars back together again.

And hey, if they can come up with a spot-on moveset for characters like R.O.B. and Wii Fit Trainer, I hardly think a moveset for Excitebiker would be a giant challenge.

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
Hey guy. Do you want Miis in Smash Bros.? I had an idea of how Miis could be implemented. The series is about a kid playing with his toys, imagining what a fight between Nintendo's greatest characters would look like. Master Hand and Crazy Hand are the hands of the kid. Smash 4 could introduce Master Head, which is the kid's head. Wonder how it looks like? It looks like the face of your Mii! That way Miis can be in the game and you don't need to worry about fighting against random famous people in online matches.
No, I really don't like the idea of the miis being playable. The avatar character is represented by the Villager, and I really don't think we need more then that. The Mii to me is uninteresting and would disappoint if they made it on the roster, there are so many better more interesting characters. While I like your idea, and think they could work in a more personal story based smash bros., since this is really not a story based smash bros. I really dislike the idea of the miis.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
those rosters are a billion times better than my first one made in 2011.

aint posting it though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'll still continue to support Takamaru despite what others say, I don't support him because of his "popularity" or "shoe-in" status, I just want him in the game.
Which should be the case, though people seem to have fixations with baseless patterns and sales and have at you. Which often makes me question if these people actually play Super Smash Bros., because last time I checked we never played as pie charts.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I think the Miis would be the most unique characters in a long while, yall just not discovering the full moveset potential.
I think that the creative moveset potential that the Miis could've had has been used up by the Villager. Yeah, it can still be done, but I see no reason to put them in over more interesting Nintendo characters.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hey guys. Do you want Miis in Smash Bros.? I had an idea of how Miis could be implemented. The series is about a kid playing with his toys, imagining what a fight between Nintendo's greatest characters would look like. Master Hand and Crazy Hand are the hands of the kid. Smash 4 could introduce Master Head, which is the kid's head. Wonder how it looks like? It looks like the face of your Mii! That way Miis can be in the game and you don't need to worry about fighting against random famous people in online matches.
I personally think that Miis could be an interesting addition to the Smash roster. Contrary to what some others say, I think it's alright to have other avatar based characters in Smash. It's not like the Villager represents the entirety of avatar characters, he just represents Animal Crossing. Miis would represent what is now a very large part of Nintendo as a whole, and the ability to insert yourself into Smash is, I think, kind of a cool idea. They could potentially take it a step further and give the Miis customizable movesets, although that might be asking a little too much. Still, I wouldn't mind the Miis. I'd actually like them.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's just that the presence of Villager kind of puts a sour damper on Mii.

It would seem kind of cheap if they did the same concept again.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Dang it. Now I want to see your old roster.
let me put it this way, it was nothing special, except there was like 3 characters from pokemon mystery dungeon, explorers of sky.

I'm pretty sure I had a REALLY old roster, I drew it by hand and it had klonoa, but that one's long gone. I doubt I will ever see it again.

humist1

Smash Rookie
NNID
j22yosh
3DS FC
1650-1416-3926
I think the miis would add a value to the roster. I don't particularly care for them, but i know it would sell people on the game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I dunno. Isn't this kinda the same vein as "too many sword users"?
I meant more so an avatar character using hammer space to attack. It has to do more with the lack of thrills and chills after we've gotten some interesting ideas brought to the table, it would just feel lacking. It's sort of like why I think revealing Chrom would cause a negative response at this point in time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom