• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Though, notably, I only want Takamaru if they decide to keep it as Samurai vs. Aliens. None of that overdone Samurai vs. Demons crap.
It never was "Samurai vs. Aliens". The final boss was possibly some kind of alien life form, but the enemies are ninjas, samurais, monsters etc.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Not to be rude, but the same mentality often goes for many of your predictions.

I neither have a bias for or against him. I'm sure he'd be done amazing justice if they did go with him, but I wouldn't be saddened if he missed the boat again.

As for "recent" references not making him a retro character, I had the same views on Little Mac. Despite the reboot, I still considered him the most likely "retro" choice.
I know, he would be done very good by the director Sakurai I get it, except the majority here wouldn't give a ___ at all if one of my characters such as Sable or Kawashima gets deconfirmed. :p (I'll just be dead in the inside)
I'm already ready to embrace a deconfirmation if it comes by.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It never was "Samurai vs. Aliens". The final boss was possibly some kind of alien life form, but the enemies are ninjas, samurais, monsters etc.
Alien ninjas, alien samurais, and alien monsters!
At least in my head-cannon. You're clearly right, of course. The main thing being that Samurai Warriors retconned it so he was facing demons and demonically possessed whosits and whatsits. On the other hand, though...

YEAHHHHHHH!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
AEM, stop making excuses, Sakurai is going to revive a dead franchise with a character. :p
Were going to get a retro.
Well I do have one, his name is Little Mac.
He's an older Nintendo Character that's been brought back into Smash Bros, isn't he?

This Roster is essentially a minimalistic no-cuts roster, all of the "necessary" characters are on there [Which basically means 3rd DK Rep, Ridley, Palutena, Mewtwo, and another new franchise character (Who is Shulk on mine)].
–––––

Well he's said conflicting things on the matter, as he also said he wants to put in as many characters as possible. It's really just a thought of bigger dev team + no SSE = more and better characters.
That's what I'm hoping for, but I'm gonna try to keep my expectations lower now. Much better to be surprised than disappointed if the roster does stick around 45 characters.
And thanks! For the character artwork, Ike has the worst quality image on my roster by far, but Shulk, Chrom, Palutena, and Lip need renders as well.
I'll see if I can find anything for you.
–––––

My only complaint is Robin being scrapped.
Other than that it's a pretty good likely roster.
I'm not sure if you can call a third FE character "necessary", but if I had the space I'd certainly bring him / her back.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Well I do have one, his name is Little Mac.
He's an older Nintendo Character that's been brought back into Smash Bros, isn't he?
The difference is that he appeared in Punch Out!! for Wii before appearing in Smash, while Pit appeared in Smash before appearing in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Little Mac has been revived already, Sakurai does not need to revive him because he is revived already.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
If some franchise needs to be revived it is Mother/Earthbound. Because it is an amazing franchise. And because this would be an excuse to have a Mother newcomer in Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
We don't even know if we're getting a retro guys...

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I think the last thing on Sakurai's mind is which series need "reviving."
I don't.
Adam Riley: You have mentioned how you like to breathe new life into forgotten franchises. Now that Kid Icarus has been completed, what other old classic would you like to look at? Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, MoleMania…or something non-Nintendo?

Sakurai-san: I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Come on, are we seriously doubting a retro character now? :urg:
We don't know even know if Sakurai thinks Mac is considered a retro (in which he is not), so it's best not assume things.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
If some franchise needs to be revived it is Mother/Earthbound. Because it is an amazing franchise. And because this would be an excuse to have a Mother newcomer in Smash.
At least a remake of the three games (or just ports) would be nice already. A mother 4 though, eh... (plus there's already an on-going fangame)
I think the last thing on Sakurai's mind is which series need "reviving."
It's more like bringing back old characters, not necessarily new series. Just because Takamaru is more plausible to bring back as a franchise than say, Mach Rider or Sukapon, that doesn't mean it raises the likability. (No, Pit is not a good example)

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I'd really like to see Miss Madeline from Magical Starsign
Recurring Character (in a 2 game series..) and she dies at the end of the second one
Knows Light, Dark and Warp magic! (Depending on what you pick for yourself at the Start Miss Madeline will have the opposite, so I guess that means both is the likely option, I dunno even know what Warp Magic does but apparently only strange beings of darkness called "Enigmas" can naturally learn)
And best of all She
's a Woman has untapped potential, you're never quite sure of what exactly Miss Madeline can do, but you know she can handle herself very well. seeing as she's in the final boss chamber before the shes dies after you beat it..

?????????????

Smash Master
Eh, I don't care if they're Japanese exclusive or not.

If someone uses that as a serious argument against a character's inclusion...

a.) Lucas, Marth, Roy
b.) The game is made IN JAPAN.
c.) That's no better than any other arbitrary reason like "sword user" or "too big."
d.) Really, who gives a ****?

I mean...my thing always is that, if this is a crossover game of "Nintendo All-Stars," and if the characters that are made playable in the game are notable Nintendo characters, then the game is delivering me exactly what it is advertising. Whether they're too big, too similar to another, or too Japanese is secondary to them being good Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm feeling better and better about Takamru's chances as time goes on. Right now I'm thinking that he'll be the next newcomer revealed.
Really? I feel worse about his chances after the Mac trailer. Gut instinct mostly.

D

Deleted member

It seems that everyone is so sure that Little Mac doesn't fit Sakurai's "definition" of a "retro" despite Sakurai never saying anything on the matter.
Sad as it may be, people may have been blindly following logic they assume to be true on yet another circumstance.

Even if Little Mac is "modern" by the standard that he has a Wii game, his reveal has been hyping the old arcade game of 1984 as a selling point (despite Mac not even being in that game).

Yeah, Sakurai said he is doing his best to "bring old characters back in Smash Bros.", but that doesn't necessarily translate into them being playable, you know.
That being said, Smash is known for breathing new life into multiple classic characters, so don't assume Mac would be the only one either.
He's also breathed new life into the classic Mega Man and should Pac-Man join the battle as well, he would do the same for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Eh, I don't care if they're Japanese exclusive or not.
I don't either, but you have to admit it'd be a pretty **** move if both Retro's are japan only. (Assuming we have two)

@goldenY: Where'd you get those pics from? I've forgotten of that site. (I had it bookmarked but I have like 1k bookmarks ;-; )

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Takamaru is my personal favorite. I like Muddy Mole a lot too. I would enjoy Sukapon. There's a part of me that still really likes the Excitebiker idea. I often forget about Bubbles, but she would be cool. I really like the concept behind Lip. I do like Mach Rider as well, but I actually prefer Excitebiker. Balloon Fighter is really neat, but kinda questionable at this point.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
People bring up Takamaru so much that I am tired of him.
At one point, people were telling me that Takmaru wan't a "true retro" anymore because so many people were already talking about adding him as the retro of SSB4. But really, do a ton of people outside those who read into SSB4 speculation have a lot of familiarity with Takamaru?

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I have trouble getting excited for characters that don't have a personality or an actual name... apologies to the Bikers and the Riders of the world.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Lip would be cool..... if she is even considered a "retro" character I guess....

If not then whatever, Lip would still be cool.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't really consider Lip a retro since her games have been revived a couple of times. (But without her appearance)

Yeah, Sakurai said he is doing his best to "bring old characters back in Smash Bros.", but that doesn't necessarily translate into them being playable, you know.
That being said, Smash is known for breathing new life into multiple classic characters, so don't assume Mac would be the only one either.
He's also breathed new life into the classic Mega Man and should Pac-Man join the battle as well, he would do the same for him.
Yeah it doesn't mean they'll be playable, some classic characters will probably have various different roles other than being a character.
I can only hope that their uniqueness is enough for them to be in.

Last edited:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
I'm not really sure she's on the level of R.O.B. and G&W considering those two have some pretty big importance to Nintendo's history and those two were the final characters (Okay, wait, R.O.B. wasn't but I guess an argument could be made for that)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
So has anyone considered the plausibility of there being an underlying method of reveals?

I mean, let's face it. It's a little bit crazy that we have all Mario characters revealed. I mean, granted, I get that they aren't exactly unexpected, but that was a lot of reveals devoted to Mario...and our first Veteran Series Newcomer reveal was from Mario...

I call this the "Series Completion" Theory. Basically, any veteran series that is to receive a newcomer, will receive said newcomer once their series is complete. Hence why Mario got their newbie, and why Dixie couldn't have been revealed for Tropical Freeze...Diddy wasn't revealed yet.

However, now Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus...they're both done, and have high chances of getting a Newcomer. There isn't anything refuting it just yet, but it's just something to consider until proven otherwise.
I disagree. It would make perfect sense to reveal newcomers before veterans so long as they are not based on a veteran in some way like Dixie, Rosalina, or a Toon character.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
If I remember correctly, the only characters Sakurai chose just fro being retro was Ice Climbers and Game & Watch.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't either, but you have to admit it'd be a pretty **** move if both Retro's are japan only. (Assuming we have two)
It's the best choice really. Because with Mach Rider's major similarities to Captain Falcon it certainly takes a lot of potential away. Whilst Takamaru and Lip both bring potential and are the only notable characters besides Mach Rider.

But, unfortunoately I don't think Sakurai will pick 2 Japan Only retros. Or even 2 Japan Only games.

But, technically all of her games are international and she made an international cameo...

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Notable? I'm sure Sakurai is going to explore the rest of the dead franchises besides Muramase's Castle and Panel de Pon.
Those aren't the only ones that are going to make just because they are notable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom