• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, his priority is certainly boosted WAY more than last time. And regardless he was still revealed early, which again could mean Toon Zelda/Tetra.
Until we get the game, its nothing but assumption.

He was revealed relatively early, but he could be the last character made for all we know. Creating the characters is one of the first things done.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Leif is DLC in Awakening. But, considering he's so painfully similar to Marth and Roy who is a clone just like him is a veteran his chances are ever so low..........unfortunately.
Most unfortunate, well back to my baseless Levin support then. Woo Wind Mages.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Roy is pretty significant and popularity alone can you make you significant. He's the only character left besides Leif to have importance in two games. Like I said, a character completely based on and related to Roy was the main character in the game after. And Sakurai pretty much chose Ike on account of popularity.
Well, Ike was also the protagonist of the two most recent Fire Emblem games. Pretty sure that had something to do with his addition as well.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
I love how SaturnGamer is actually begging for the developers to be lazy.
"I like semi-clones as long as they have a neat twist"
=
"PLEASE! OH PLEASE ADD SIMILAR CHARACTERS WITH UNIQUE TWISTS!!! (which is apparently considered lazy according to Xenoblaze(?)) I'LL SUCK YOUR ****, SAKURAI!!!"

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, Ike was also the protagonist of the two most recent Fire Emblem games. Pretty sure that had something to do with his addition as well.
We'll never know. All we know is that IS suggested Ike because Sakurai wasn't sure who to add.

It may have been because they planned on using Ike again, recency, popularity, blue hair,etc. We may never know...

However, Ike was included before Radiant Dawn was really a thing so....

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
By "unique twists", you mean like changing a few attributes? Because that's why characters like Roy suffered hard.

This is why changing attacks to better compliment the different playstyle is encouraged.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I like it. It's different, but nothing absolutely outrageous...except the Miis. I don't see any appeal to them whatsoever. I think the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer destroy any reasoning there would've been for them. We have our avatar character, we have our spontaneous moveset, and we even have our representative for the Wii games (though some people argue that WFT only represent the Fit games). I also think Shulk looks a little out of place, despite how much I like him.

Krystal is another slippery topic. I see the appeal, but I just personally disagree.

One final thing is that the lack of Sheik disturbs me.
Well Shiek and ZSS are givens with their said counterparts. I'm also a big advocate for Krystal, so she isn't going anywhere for me haha

The Mii's are debatable, but I could see them being incorporated in some way, so I included them.

Anyways, thank you for the feedback! :)

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm talking about clones here SaturnGamer.

CLONES.

The things from Melee.

They're not unique at all SaturnGamer.

Stop it.
Maybe you should stay on topic with what you're talking to people about. I said I like Semi-Clones. Like Wolf, Brawl Falco, or Ganondorf. And then you somehow translated that into me begging for completely identical characters and move sets. So if you're talking about clones then why did you respond to my comment on semi-clones "with neat twists"?

Stop it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Ike has grown into a very popular character.

One thing is certain. Roy isn't getting in if Ike gets cut.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ike has grown into a very popular character.

One thing is certain. Roy isn't getting in if Ike gets cut.
And the strange thing is this: Even the certain things will be debated over. -_- Ah well, people will be people.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
My problem with semi-clones is more that several semi-clones have plenty of potential for movesets on their own (Lucas, Falco, Wolf, Toon Link, Ganondorf) but are instead relegated to a moveset similar to another character's. It automatically sheds some negative light on them; I can guarantee that so many people wouldn't be as eager to cut Lucas (myself included) if he had a completely original moveset.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think Leif is a good example that having uniquness will not exempt you from being a clone when you share significant simiarities, role, and abilities.

Leif had the ability to shoot magic and lighting. But, Sakurai wanted him to be a clone of Marth. And in that situation he was deemed to similar.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
They're still extremely similar. You know what everyone complains about when they're talking about semi-clones. Stop pretending like you don't. Make them as different as Link and Mario.

I think you just proved his point. Lucas and Wolf play completely different from Ness and Fox/Falco despite having similar special moves.
Make them completely dissimilar.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
They're still extremely similar. You know what everyone complains about when they're talking about semi-clones. Stop pretending like you don't. Make them as different as Link and Mario.

Make them completely dissimilar.
I think you should appreciate that the effort that was made to put them in the game to begin with, rather than complaining about a few similarities with other characters, just my two cents. I'd be fine if the two of them returned unchanged.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Might as well complain that Ike is a clone of Marth and King Dedede is a clone of Kirby with this logic.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I don't care how similar they are. PK Freeze is faster and easier to control. Then when they are flying in the air frozen you get to jump up there and kick their ass to kingdom come.

I think you should appreciate that the effort that was made to put them in the game to begin with, rather than complaining about a few similarities with other characters, just my two cents. I'd be fine if the two of them returned unchanged.
People simply are greedy and can't be grateful for the hard work Sakurai does. He works hard to give the characters you want and to make them different and people complain because of 3 moves and a body structure.

Sakurai should be like "Oh, you don't like Toon Link? Would you prefer I take him out? Because I'm not replacing him with anyone else!"

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I find it funny that you can bash someone for liking clones, and then get your panties in knot when someone wants semi-clones to be further decloned.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I find it funny that you can bash someone for liking clones, and then get your panties in knot when someone wants semi-clones to be further decloned.
Probably because it's a different situations. Clones are identical and semi-clones share like maybe a couple moves and have their own playstyle. So fans don't get greedy and whiny about it....oh, wait they do....*sigh*

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Doctor Mario, Pichu, and Wolf are some of my favorite Smash characters, by the way.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Pichu is actually one of my Melee mains. My first is Dr. Mario. I really hope he becomes DLC.
I bet we will see Doc costume. I mean, that was the ORIGINAL request Prior to Melee being developed.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I bet we will see Doc costume. I mean, that was the ORIGINAL request Prior to Melee being developed.
But, it's weird. According to me and also Sakurai. It would just be a **** tease to everyone who actually wants to play as the official Dr. Mario.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
So has anyone considered the plausibility of there being an underlying method of reveals?

I mean, let's face it. It's a little bit crazy that we have all Mario characters revealed. I mean, granted, I get that they aren't exactly unexpected, but that was a lot of reveals devoted to Mario...and our first Veteran Series Newcomer reveal was from Mario...

I call this the "Series Completion" Theory. Basically, any veteran series that is to receive a newcomer, will receive said newcomer once their series is complete. Hence why Mario got their newbie, and why Dixie couldn't have been revealed for Tropical Freeze...Diddy wasn't revealed yet.

However, now Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus...they're both done, and have high chances of getting a Newcomer. There isn't anything refuting it just yet, but it's just something to consider until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I call this the "Series Completion" Theory. Basically, any veteran series that is to receive a newcomer, will receive said newcomer once their series is complete. Hence why Mario got their newbie, and why Dixie couldn't have been revealed for Tropical Freeze...Diddy wasn't revealed yet.
I've had this line of thought since the Rosalina reveal, if we see Sheik and Ganondorf pop up in quick succession I'd say we should prepare for a Zelda newcomer.

Well, the vertical alignment on my roster seems to be the more popular choice, so I'm sticking with it for now.

Does anyone have some thoughts on the general design of it? How you think the player boxes look, if the borders are too bland, etc.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So has anyone considered the plausibility of there being an underlying method of reveals?

I mean, let's face it. It's a little bit crazy that we have all Mario characters revealed. I mean, granted, I get that they aren't exactly unexpected, but that was a lot of reveals devoted to Mario...and our first Veteran Series Newcomer reveal was from Mario...

However, now Donkey Kong, Kid Icarus...they're both done, and have high chances of getting a Newcomer. There isn't anything refuting it just yet, but it's just something to consider until proven otherwise.
This theory is one I feel has a good chance of coming true. That's also why I think Palutena, K.Rool or Dixie is going to be the next newcomer revealed.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This theory is one I feel has a good chance of coming true. That's also why I think Palutena, K.Rool or Dixie is going to be the next newcomer revealed.
That or another newcomer representing a new series, like Takamaru, Shulk, or any other retro/miscellaneous choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom