• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

?????????????

Smash Master
I believe the mere existence of semi-clones proves that the importance of a character trumps moveset potential. We've always had Luigi, and plenty of people voice against Toon Link and Lucas. They don't really contribute a lot "moveset wise" that we haven't or couldn't see from other characters, but as characters, they're significant enough as it is.

And I think that's fine. I would rather have Toon Link, Lucas, and Luigi, then be without. I have no problem with semi-clones because, more often than not, they're Nintendo characters I care to play as.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why do you guys hate semi-clones so much anyway? Did you get mad when Ganondorf looked at his sword and put it away?

I believe the mere existence of semi-clones proves that the importance of a character trumps moveset potential. We've always had Luigi, and plenty of people voice against Toon Link and Lucas. They don't really contribute a lot "moveset wise" that we haven't or couldn't see from other characters, but as characters, they're significant enough as it is.

And I think that's fine. I would rather have Toon Link, Lucas, and Luigi, then be without. I have no problem with semi-clones because, more often than not, they're Nintendo characters I care to play as.
Like I said, a lot of clones we have make complete sense. Luigi originated as a second Mario. Lucas and Roy come from a series where the protagonists change, but are always similar. Toon Link is Link.

It's characters like Ganondorf that get our goats.

Whit

Smash Journeyman
That's how they are usually implemented. The more unique characters are a higher priority and the semi clones are saved for when there is still a bit of time to include a few more semi-clone characters but not enough for one whole unique character. At least if Melee and Brawl's priorities are anything to go by. I'd say Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS aren't any different..... Unless said character has a game to promote I guess... :toonlink:
Exactly, and with longer development time than we had for brawl, I would think that they'll be able to include all the characters with unique move sets they're planning to. Who knows? Maybe they'll add semi clones if there's enough time left over.

?????????????

Smash Master
The only reason I don't like how Ganondorf is set up is because we know he has his own powers and abilities, and they are not similar to the SSB original moveset of Captain Falcon.

Although they did improve it to, in my opinion, an acceptable degree in Brawl, I'd still rather see Warlock Punch and Wizard's Foot replaced with some actual attacks Ganondorf uses.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
It's a real competition between Roy and Robin for me.

One is a massively popular character with ties in another game (being his identical relative as a protaginist.) and veteran status. But, not very unique.

The other is a concept that has appeared in two Fire Emblem games and likely to appear again and is unique. But, the first had no identity or playable role.

I don't know if Tactician should be seen as an important character or just a moderately notable recurring concept.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
It's characters like Ganondorf that get our goats.
This. Luigi is already plenty unique enough for who he is (besides not having his Poltergust), Falco and Wolf fill their roles perfectly, Toon Link is just there, Lucas is plenty different from Ness to begin with but has a similar playstyle reflecting their similarities. Falcondorf is just a blatantly ****ty excuse for a playable Ganondorf.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Exactly, and with longer development time than we had for brawl, I would think that they'll be able to include all the characters with unique move sets they're planning to. Who knows? Maybe they'll add semi clones if there's enough time left over.
Yeah. Sakurai did say that he is trying to implement as many characters as possible instead of cutting characters out of the way. So assuming the 3DS version won't pose too much of an issue and Sakurai managed to get all of the unique characters he wanted out of the way, and still has some time left but not enough for a whole unique character, I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if he decided to squeeze in a few more semi clones into the game.

?????????????

Smash Master

One is a massively popular character with ties in another game (being his identical relative as a protaginist.) and veteran status. But, not very unique.

The other is a concept that has appeared in two Fire Emblem games and likely to appear again and is unique. But, the first had no identity or playable role.

I don't know if Tactician should be seen as an important character or just a moderately notable recurring concept.
I had a similar debate on my own roster between Chrom and Avatar. I think Avatar has a lot of merit to it, and a lot of cool ideas moveset-wise, but I ultimately wound up sticking with Chrom; I just felt he was better/more likely as a set main protagonist.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

I personally don't see much point in Roy. Sure, he's popular due to his once playable status, but his importance to Fire Emblem as a whole is pretty small, and adding him in solely due to popularity at this point would go against the idea of Smash being a collection of Nintendo All-Stars. At that point, we might as well start adding any Nintendo character who just is really popular, regardless of their significance as characters. That's how I see it, anyway.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
One is a massively popular character with ties in another game (being his identical relative as a protaginist.) and veteran status. But, not very unique. The other is a concept that has appeared in two Fire Emblem games and likely to appear again and is unique. But, the first had no identity or playable role. I don't know if Tactician should be seen as an important character or just a moderately notable recurring concept.
Well, the problem is that the pieces of the Avatar concept originated in other games, but it never became prominent until Awakening.
So in a sense, Robin as a character is technically a one-time thing.

Yeah. Sakurai did say that he is trying to implement as many characters as possible instead of cutting characters out of the way. So assuming the 3DS version won't pose too much of an issue and Sakurai managed to get all of the unique characters he wanted out of the way, and still has some time left but not enough for a whole unique character, I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if he decided to squeeze in a few more semi clones into the game.
I'm okay with semi-clones, honestly, as long as it's reasonable. One clone I'd like is Plusle&Minun as a semi-clone of Pikachu, but that'll never happen...

?????????????

Smash Master
I believe that, if MOTHER 3 was good enough to add Lucas, Fire Emblem Awakening was more than good enough to add Chrom.

Just sayin'.

Whit

Smash Journeyman
Well, it really depends. If you're just an important and popular character like Dixie Kong then being a semi-clone of Diddy Kong probably doesn't really concern Sakurai as long as she brings SOMETHING different. But, if you're a really popular character like Toon Zelda, but you don't bring anything new, then you're chances of being prioritized are certainly lowered.

I can tell you now that while Sakurai acknowledges the bad reception of semi-clones/clones, he doesn't give a ****. If he wants Toon Link he's gonna add Toon Link. Bad reception of characters sharing even a minor amount of move sets will always exist, but it won't stop Sakurai from adding characters like Wolf and Lucas. The whole "unique characters out prioritizing semi-clones" is a respectable opinion, but if you want to be realistic and not get disappointed, then I should probably inform you that this is not how Sakurai sees it. At least not to the extent that you suggest.

I think a lot of people get bias about semi-clones and it interferes with their expectations.
Sakurai doesn't give a **** /thread

Literally every argument in this forum could be won with that sentence lol. And ouch. Aren't we all just discussing our own opinions here? I don't think anybody here really knows what Sakurai is thinking. We're all just speculating.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I personally don't see much point in Roy. Sure, he's popular due to his once playable status, but his importance to Fire Emblem as a whole is pretty small, and adding him in solely due to popularity at this point would go against the idea of Smash being a collection of Nintendo All-Stars. At that point, we might as well start adding any Nintendo character who just is really popular, regardless of their significance as characters. That's how I see it, anyway.
Roy is pretty significant and popularity alone can you make you significant. He's the only character left besides Leif to have importance in two games. Like I said, a character completely based on and related to Roy was the main character in the game after. And Sakurai pretty much chose Ike on account of popularity.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Roy is pretty significant and popularity alone can you make you significant. He's the only character left besides Leif to have importance in two games. Like I said, a character completely based on and related to Roy was the main character in two games. And Sakurai pretty much chose Ike on account of popularity.
What two games? Roy was the main character in one game and made a cameo in another.

Again. **** every choice, just include Marth and Ike. Keep crying, *****es.
If we just forget about every character we can't decide on, what's the point of even having this thread? Saying stuff like that doesn't add anything to the discussion.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I believe that, if MOTHER 3 was good enough to add Lucas, Fire Emblem Awakening was more than good enough to add Chrom.

Just sayin'.
Mother was a series of 3 games, absent for 11 years and consisting of only 2 protagonists (not counting Ninten) and was not planned to be continued.

If you're going for another EarthBound character, you don't really have a choice. Where as Fire Emblem you have several, so there's more people competing.

Wait...two?
I mispoke.

*Edited it

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I had a similar debate on my own roster between Chrom and Avatar. I think Avatar has a lot of merit to it, and a lot of cool ideas moveset-wise, but I ultimately wound up sticking with Chrom; I just felt he was better/more likely as a set main protagonist.
I'm still torn on whether or not I consider Chrom the main protagonist, though. Maybe I missed something that bluntly says that Chrom is the main protagonist, but I always considered it a shared role between him and the Tactician. That's part of the reason I stick with the Tactician on my roster, along with my eagerness to see a Fire Emblem magic user.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm still torn on whether or not I consider Chrom the main protagonist, though. Maybe I missed something that bluntly says that Chrom is the main protagonist, but I always considered it a shared role between him and the Tactician. That's part of the reason I stick with the Tactician on my roster, along with my eagerness to see a Fire Emblem magic user.
Well, don't add him just because you want a magic man.

?????????????

Smash Master
I'm still torn on whether or not I consider Chrom the main protagonist, though. Maybe I missed something that bluntly says that Chrom is the main protagonist, but I always considered it a shared role between him and the Tactician.
As far as that goes, there's only one big difference between Chrom and the Avatar...

You have to use Chrom on every map.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Chrom's the main protagonist. Big whoop! So is Eirika in Sacred Stones. Oh, wait I forgot! We're recency and sales whores.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Wait...two?
Technically speaking, Roy appears in three games.

Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
Fire Emblem: Sword of Flame (cameo)
Fire Emblem: Awakening (DLC/Spotpass)

There's also Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, though due to the ambiguous nature of the game I'm not counting it yet.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master

There's also Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem, though due to the ambiguous nature of the game I'm not counting it yet.
Oh, I know. It was about being the main character in two games.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Then this counts too

Not being sarcastic. I do think this counts.

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I'm fine with clones, so long as they're distinguished enough to play differently from the movesets they're based on. I use Toon Link often, but I can't play Link for the life of me - as far as I'm concerned, TL may as well be unique. We've seen characters with similar movesets but differing playstyles on multiple occasions; it's more than possible for, say, Dixie, to share some of Diddy's moves and still bring a new gameplay experience into the mix. Provided they have some amount of clever thought put into them, I wouldn't mind seeing a few new semi-clones introduced.

That said, I'm betting on most (if not all) of the newcomers having unique movesets... though I doubt returning clones/semi-clones will be changed up much. Considering Toon Link was high priority this time around, they could have easily found time to give him a new moveset making use of equipment specific from Wind Waker if they really wanted to. That pretty much destroyed my hopes that they'd be granting old clones new movesets. If we're lucky, maybe some of the shared Final Smashes will be changed...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh, I know. It was about being the main character in two games.
He was only the main character in Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade.

Clearly SaturnGamer is talking about his father Eliwood.

Both characters share similar appearances and stats, but some details are still different. Like Eliwood being unable to actually manipulate fire like Roy.

Then this counts too

Not being sarcastic. I do think this counts.
Super Smash Bros. Melee is not a Fire Emblem game.

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Chrom's the main protagonist. Big whoop! So is Eirika in Sacred Stones. Oh, wait I forgot! We're recency and sales *****s.
Well, strictly speaking, Roy and Ike were the most recent "main characters" of their time when Melee and Brawl were released. :troll:

He was only the main character in Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade.

Clearly SaturnGamer is talking about his father Eliwood.
I know. I just wanted the clarification, and he already gave it to me before you even replied...about 11 posts up.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I think Toon Link's high priority might have something to do with the inclusion of Toon Zelda and/or Tetra.

Also I actually LIKE semi-clones because playing as the same basic move set, but having a unique twist is interesting.

I also think it's VERY important that games like Super Smash Bros. implement alternate versions of existing characters. When there are so many versions of Mario or Link, I think it's important to represent more than just one. It also DOES bring variety if you think about it because the game is doing more besides just separate people.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Well, strictly speaking, Roy and Ike were the most recent "main characters" of their time when Melee and Brawl were released. :troll:
Which is completely irrelevant as Sakurai has said. You know every installment has a newcomer with a sword. CLEARLY it must be just because they have a sword. I think I see a pattern here.

Gonna stop you right there.

We don't actually know the priority. We won't know until we get the game for ourselves and see the data.
Well, his priority is certainly boosted WAY more than last time. And regardless he was still revealed early, which again could mean Toon Zelda/Tetra.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Random question, were any characters from the SNES Fire Emblems (4-5) in as cameos or spot pass/dlc in Awakening? I know that game really mined the history, and I really would support anyone from those two games.

?????????????

Smash Master
I think Toon Link's high priority might have something to do with the inclusion of Toon Zelda and/or Tetra.
Gonna stop you right there.

We don't actually know the priority. We won't know until we get the game for ourselves and see the data.
Well, even if not "priority," Toon Link's "early reveal" could potentially mean something about Tetra.

I don't know if it actually does, but I sure hope so!

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Random question, were any characters from the SNES Fire Emblems (4-5) in as cameos or spot pass/dlc in Awakening? I know that game really mined the history, and I really would support anyone from those two games.
Leif is DLC in Awakening. But, considering he's so painfully similar to Marth and Roy who is a clone just like him is a veteran his chances are ever so low..........unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom