• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

Changed up my roster, replaced four characters (Black Shadow, Muddy Mole, Isaac, and Takamaru) with four customizable characters (because I forgot that was a thing)!

So there's 45 selectable fighters and four optional customizable fighters. You make them in the 3DS version and send them up to the Wii U version.

What do you all think?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
We are getting a Retro, though.

Other than that, solid ****, though I don't think we know enough about the way the "customizable" characters work to give them their own slots.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
This theory is one I feel has a good chance of coming true. That's also why I think Palutena, K.Rool or Dixie is going to be the next newcomer revealed.
It all depends on whether cuts are a thing or not yet.

For all we know, Ike could have been cut, and Chrom could be the newcomer. That leaves us with Marth already completing Fire Emblem.

At this point, I would say that DK, Kid Icarus and Pikmin are all completed. Fire Emblem is a maybe as far as completion (I hope Ike isn't cut mind you), but we just don't know that right now.

@Swampasaur while I know I forgot Zero Suit Samus, I just realized that there would only be one Samus in the Ridley Trailer. Unless they show Zero Suit activate the armor...but we may not even need ZSS. But we'll play it safe and say we do.

So if ZSS gets revealed sooner than later, Ridley may be upon us. Who really knows though? Just because a series is complete, it may not mean that they're getting a character. Kirby needs one more, and Star Fox needs two. I have doubts that they are getting newbies.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think a ZSS-stealth reveal would go well in a Ridley trailer. Two birds (well, one is only part bird, and the other's a dragon), one stone.

Maybe ZSS is fighting some other people or doing some other entertaining thing, then Ridley crashes in, starts wrecking ****, she activates the suit and goes to work.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
We are getting a Retro, though.

Other than that, solid ****, though I don't think we know enough about the way the "customizable" characters work to give them their own slots.
Well they don't really shouldn't count as part of the main roster. Since they're entirely optional and are supposedly to originate from the 3DS version and be transferred to the Wii U version. So they're sorta part of on a roster of their own?

As for a retro character, I'll just say that Little Mac can be considered it for now. Character #46 would certainly be a formal retro character though.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Changed up my roster, replaced four characters (Black Shadow, Muddy Mole, Isaac, and Takamaru) with four customizable characters (because I forgot that was a thing)!

So there's 45 selectable fighters and four optional customizable fighters. You make them in the 3DS version and send them up to the Wii U version.
What do you all think?
I really like this, and aside from the lack of Takamaru, this is a pretty solid roster. Personally though, it feels really bare with five characters missing.
Any comments on mine? Wink wink, nudge nudge. Though I'm mostly looking for aesthetic opinions, rather than the content of the roster itself. That would be fine too, though I won't really change any of my choices for now.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think a ZSS-stealth reveal would go well in a Ridley trailer. Two birds (well, one is only part bird, and the other's a dragon), one stone.

Maybe ZSS is fighting some other people or doing some other entertaining thing, then Ridley crashes in, starts wrecking ****, she activates the suit and goes to work.
Exactly why I won't rule out the need to reveal her first. Considering there isn't much to disprove this theory yet. It will be disproven once a veteran series gets a newcomer, before it is finished, and a related veteran gets revealed.

Should be interesting.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Can someone explain to me how a customizable would work? What are they?
Miis.

The basic gist of my idea is that you would be able to rip moves from other characters and apply them to your custom player. Of course, certain moves would function differently (or not be usable at all) due to lack of wings/tails/etc.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Hey guys, I'm new here. I've been spectating for awhile now and I just made an account.. Anyway, I made a poll so if anyone feels like it, participate I guess :shyguy:http://www.yourfreepoll.com/pftatfwesp.html
Um, yeah.. sorry if I put this in the wrong place :urg:
Welcome to SmashBoards!
Miis.

The basic gist of my idea is that you would be able to rip moves from other characters and apply them to your custom player. Of course, certain moves would function differently (or not be usable at all) due to lack of wings/tails/etc.
So every gamers ultimate dream? Having their own moves? Customizable everything?

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Miis.

I made a huge post back on Nsider2 about how Miis would function similarly to Emerl from Sonic Battle, as well as being able to alter various stats (size, jump height, fall speed, ground speed, etc.) using an allotted number of points. The stipulation is that, although Mii can vary in size and other attributes, it would always be fairly balanced in its stats.

@ AquaDork1 AquaDork1 , welcome to the forums. Love the avatar.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
So every gamers ultimate dream? Having their own moves? Customizable everything?
:falcon:
It sure isn't my ultimate dream, I hate the idea myself, but one must appease the masses...

I made a huge post back on Nsider2 about how Miis would function similarly to Emerl from Sonic Battle, as well as being able to alter various stats (size, jump height, fall speed, ground speed, etc.) using an allotted number of points. The stipulation is that, although Mii can vary in size and other attributes, it would always be fairly balanced in its stats.
I've no idea who Emerl is, but that doesn't really sound like my idea. You know that one Mii you make when you start up your Wii U/3DS for the first time? The specified one that becomes the "main" Mii of the console and such. Basically my idea is that the game takes that Mii and gives you a set weight class based on what you had already chosen as the height/width of the Mii, so you wouldn't actually make the Mii in-game. It would come with a generic moveset, but would be able to be customized in a special menu, certain moves (like recoveries) would function better or worse depending on the weight of the Mii. You could basically give your Mii a sword and have him perform some of Link, Marth, and Ike's regular attacks, then give him Pit's recovery, Fox's reflector, Villager's item catch, etc.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
What if the fact that we have all the old Mario characters and Rosalina already means the opposite.. that we're likely to see another newcomer from the Mario series?

The series completion theory is an interesting one.. but we've only seen one newcomer from an existing series so far in Rosalina.

I think it's far more likely that they showed Mario because Mario, Bowser because Sakurai wanted to show off his changes to Bowser, Luigi because of Year of Luigi, Peach because she's one of the more obvious starter characters (no speculation about her inclusion), and Rosalina because she's a surprising character that would help build hype, similar to Wii Fit Trainer.

But it does seem like they are showing more returning characters in certain series first..

Last edited:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
:falcon:
It sure isn't my ultimate dream, I hate the idea myself, but one must appease the masses...

I've no idea who Emerl is, but that doesn't really sound like my idea. You know that one Mii you make when you start up your Wii U/3DS for the first time? The specified one that becomes the "main" Mii of the console and such. Basically my idea is that the game takes that Mii and gives you a set weight class based on what you had already chosen as the height/width of the Mii, so you wouldn't actually make the Mii in-game. It would come with a generic moveset, but would be able to be customized in a special menu, certain moves (like recoveries) would function better or worse depending on the weight of the Mii. You could basically give your Mii a sword and have him perform some of Link, Marth, and Ike's regular attacks, then give him Pit's recovery, Fox's reflector, Villager's item catch, etc.
Hehe, I hate the idea too :p.

AquaDork1

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys, for casting your votes. & thanks for, uh, welcoming me :)

Um, I love Smash Bros!
I look forward to sharing my thoughts and stuff..

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704

Medusa - Grappling Goddess

B Fang Spell – Medusa thrusts her staff forward, and a blast in the shape of viper a viper head appears. The neon blast zig zags up across the field, making it relatively pesky to avoid. She can shoot up to two out at a time.

B > Twinbellows – Medusa barely lifts her staff, and effortlessly summons a large fiery dog head. This twinbellows esque attack opens its mouth and chomps hard. If chomped, Medusa can choose which direction the mouth throws you. When doing so Twinbellows mouth fills with fire and he spits it out, launching the opponent whichever direction Medusa chose

B^ Astral Projection – Medusa is engulfed in a white aura and is almost instantly transported to whichever area you aimed your control stick towards. (Think Zelda’s B^, but smaller range, and much much quicker). If you don’t project into the air, you’ll become helpless of course.

BV – Gatekeeper – The Goddess of Darkness kneels, and opens a hell mouth, releasing the great (albeit MINI) Gatekeeper. This little monster will shoot lazers at anyone who gets near it. There is a rhythm to the lasers, so you can figure out how to get up close, attack, and destroy it. In the air a hell mouth opens midair and he hovers. If you come below him he drops a turret. He is best used as a sort of “assured KO”. Leaving him in a spot where you can throw an enemy, and he will use a lazer / turret to give them that extra bit of percentage. Twinbellows comes in handy here.

Medusa’s playstyle focuses on grapples, and utilizing gatekeeper. She is on the heavier side, and her attacks are on the slower, but stronger side. Her walking animation is her sitting upon a dark cloud. She doesn’t need to walk. But when she needs to run, Medusa’s feet transform into the body of a snake. She transforms into a naga and swiftly slithers across the stage.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I really like this, and aside from the lack of Takamaru, this is a pretty solid roster. Personally though, it feels really bare with five characters missing.
Eh I think expecting a roster of 50 characters is really pushing it, especially since Sakurai said he already thinks they've pushed the limit to how many characters they already have. He's looking for a change in direction, so perhaps adding a few characters, changing up some old ones, and may be what he's interested in doing this time around.
Any comments on mine? Wink wink, nudge nudge. Though I'm mostly looking for aesthetic opinions, rather than the content of the roster itself. That would be fine too, though I won't really change any of my choices for now.
Well let's see....
Well, the vertical alignment on my roster seems to be the more popular choice, so I'm sticking with it for now.
Does anyone have some thoughts on the general design of it? How you think the player boxes look, if the borders are too bland, etc.
Aside from Krystal, who I'd personally scrap for someone else...
I think it looks great! You've said before that you're interested in finding better artwork for certain characters... Who were those again?
–––––––––

Can someone explain to me how a customizable would work? What are they?
http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390
Sakurai touches on the subject, but doesn't go really deep into it.
Do you think custom characters would be banned in tournaments or have to be paid for?
Banned in tournaments for sure, you can't use custom characters in Soul Calibur tournaments. Besides, they're more meant for fun and personalizing the experience moreso than for competitive use.

But I DO imagine that some things will be payed for, using the coins you collect in Smash through the single-player modes and credits. I don't imagine us having to pay real money to upgrade the customizable character.

Last edited:

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Keldeo smash card.jpg

I know I said this before, but I just wanted to showcase this thing I made.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Eh I think expecting a roster of 50 characters is really pushing it, especially since Sakurai said he already thinks they've pushed the limit to how many characters they already have. He's looking for a change in direction, so perhaps adding a few characters, changing up some old ones, and may be what he's interested in doing this time around.
Well let's see....
Aside from Krystal, who I'd personally scrap for someone else...
I think it looks great! You've said before that you're interested in finding better artwork for certain characters... Who were those again?
–––––––––
Well he's said conflicting things on the matter, as he also said he wants to put in as many characters as possible. It's really just a thought of bigger dev team + no SSE = more and better characters.
Ah well, there will always be Krystal haters (not that you're a hater), but if the rest is good, that's great.
And thanks! For the character artwork, Ike has the worst quality image on my roster by far, but Shulk, Chrom, Palutena, and Lip need renders as well.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
AEM, stop making excuses, Sakurai is going to revive a dead franchise with a character. :p
Were going to get a retro.
Actually, the real reason I'd tank on us getting at least one retro is that the Smash Bros. Team always loves reviving dead characters or characters that are done for. It's really one of the best outlets instead of just releasing a game for them out of nowhere.

The more I think about it, the more I think we might just see Takamaru. Sakurai's added a japan-only character every game after Smash 64 (If we go by the idea that Sukapon might have been considered at some point, then technically every game) and he's never denied one. There wasn't one on the "Forbidden 7" for one. Hmm...

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I'm feeling better and better about Takamru's chances as time goes on. Right now I'm thinking that he'll be the next newcomer revealed.

As far as theorizing why veterans get revealed in the order they do... honestly, other than pre-planned vets to align with special dates and anniversaries, I think he just reveals them based on what he will have fun making kooky pictures with. Hence... all the princesses ever, all the cartoony Mario characters. Oh, Sakurai... he has his fun.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Picture it, Sakurai reveals a revamped Ganondorf and everyone is freaking out, then he reveals Sheik and everyone is preparing themselves for a Zelda newcomer. A Nintendo Direct comes up, a Smash trailer plays and we see Link facing off against Ganondorf and then... Takamaru slashes into battle! Also Zelda Wii U please Nintendo.

Ultimate troll move by Sakurai. :troll: Expecting a Zelda newcomer because of the pattern of Mario veterans being revealed before Rosalina? Nope, Takamaru.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Takamaru seems most likely because of the references to it lately, but what about Mach Rider? He had a little burst of popularity here a little while back with people thinking that he was likely. You can make an educated guess that he might have been planned for Melee at one point, and we all know Sakurai likes to go back to his old ideas (Pokemon Trainer, Snake.. etc), and it's why everyone thought Diddy and Dixie as a combo was so likely.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
I agree with you there..expect not that many new charcters

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
He's not the most likely retro because there's not enough sources to beat down Takamaru's recent references today and Sakurai's comment about him. :p
Therefore everyone sticks to him, though I would love for Takamaru not to happen as playable just for the sake of breaking everyone's predictions. xD

Last edited:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
He's not the most likely retro because there's not enough sources to beat down Takamaru's recent references today and Sakurai's comment about him. :p
Therefore everyone sticks to him, though I would love for Takamaru not to happen as playable just for the sake of breaking everyone's predictions. xD
Thinking about it..i would love to see what Takamaru's stage is going to be..it could be really cool

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Why do you hate me? I would never want a character to not be revealed just to upset people, that's just cruel... Unless it's Impa.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I love cruel reactions, even if Palutena ends up being an AT, I just want to see the reactions.
I already got used to these kinds of reveals thanks to the Nintendog deconfirmation. :awesome: (Which by the way made me fall into a pit of despair)

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Not to be rude, but the same mentality often goes for many of your predictions.

I neither have a bias for or against him. I'm sure he'd be done amazing justice if they did go with him, but I wouldn't be saddened if he missed the boat again.

As for "recent" references not making him a retro character, I had the same views on Little Mac. Despite the reboot, I still considered him the most likely "retro" choice.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Though, notably, I only want Takamaru if they decide to keep it as Samurai vs. Aliens. None of that overdone Samurai vs. Demons crap.

I wonder if they'd do anything to reboot his appearance or if they'd stick with his unarmored Samurai appearance?

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Picture it, Sakurai reveals a revamped Ganondorf and everyone is freaking out, then he reveals Sheik and everyone is preparing themselves for a Zelda newcomer. A Nintendo Direct comes up, a Smash trailer plays and we see Link facing off against Ganondorf and then... Takamaru slashes into battle! Also Zelda Wii U please Nintendo.

Ultimate troll move by Sakurai. :troll: Expecting a Zelda newcomer because of the pattern of Mario veterans being revealed before Rosalina? Nope, Takamaru.
And then Takamaru is revealed as a playable character in Hyrule Warriors.

But yeah, Takamaru and Mach Rider seem to be the most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom