• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I remember Sakurai denying Saki being in Melee but said S&P couldn't provide him a good moveset. MEANWHILE ALMOST EVERYONE HAS MOVES MADE UP FOR SMASH
Sakurai probably doesn't think it's worth the effort coming up with a moveset for Saki because Sin & Punishment is a very minor IP and he probably thinks it doesn't exactly warrant a playable character.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I believe the total DLC count for Characters will be........
8. It's the magic number in wherever........my knee tells me so.......and up to 8 players can play Smash.

So hypothetically, who would you expect and then want those 8 to be????

Expect: Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, Roy, Wolf, King K Rool, Inkling.......and either Isaac or (ew)Pichu.
Want: Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, Wolf, Bayonetta, Medusa, King K Rool, Impa.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakurai probably doesn't think it's worth the effort coming up with a moveset for Saki because Sin & Punishment is a very minor IP that doesn't exactly warrant a playable character.
S&P was very popular in Japan when it came out and the only reason the games were brought outside of Japan was because Saki was in Smash
GEE SOUNDS FAMILIAR FIRE EMBLEM

Dinoman96

Smash Master
S&P was very popular in Japan when it came out and the only reason the games were brought outside of Japan was because Saki was in Smash
How much did the first game sell, exactly? I recall hearing it flopped. The second game most certainly did. And even when S&P came out, Fire Emblem still dwarfed it in terms of number of games and general popularity.

D

Deleted member

Adding on to this, their would be 14 starting characters and 7 unlockables

Starters
Urban Champ
Bubbles
Takamaru
Mach Rider (Speculation on PushDustIn's part)
Sukapon (Was planned as an item according to PushDustIn's data)

Excite Biker
Banjo & Kazooie (Was outright stated to be impossible due to legal reasons; no actual mention of consideration)
Saki (Wasn't planned/considered AT ALL. Misinformation on PushDustIn's part)

Toon Zelda/Shiek
Plusle & Mininun (Only commonly speculated to be the identity of "pra_mai", with debates on accuracy)
Blastoise
Ridley (Was planned as an Assist Trophy, not a character)
Nintendog (Speculation on PushDustIn's part)

Chrom

Unlockables
Toad (Misinformation/Speculation on PushDustIn's part)
Ayumi
Ballon Fighter
James Bond (Just like Banjo, but with more reasoning why he's impossible)
Leif (Not present in PushDustIn's data)

Dixie Kong
Chrous Men (While a reasonable assumption based on logic, all we actually know right now is that a Rhythm Heaven character MAY have been planned)

Don't be a party pooper dude. They still had a possibility of getting in even if they weren't planned and that's the bottom line lol.
I'm not being a "party pooper", I'm applying logic.

Last edited by a moderator:

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I assume I can post my vote and my reasons here, right?

None of the rest of my family wanted to vote for anyone, so I used my laptop, cell phone, and family desktop to vote for the same guy

Only the last one is truly serious, haha.

Crono probably doesn't have a chance, I know, but I wanted him and I voted for him. It's also why I sympathize with people who also vote for characters that might not make it, like Toad or Daisy or Krystal or Ridley (*ducks*) or Geno. Because at the very least they just want to express that they genuinely want them.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think one major aspect iof FE that is missing is a Pegasus. It's pretty iconic and would make for a great final smash or something.

I think FE deserves this amount of characters(and I wouldn't mind more), but I don't think it deserves that many clones. (3 if Roy comes back). Lucina is understandable, but still. Also, swords are just a small part of FE's wide range of classes. At least Robin is half magic based.

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
TBH I don't like "fire emblem rep" discussions,it is just like "pokemon rep" discussions but worse ,instead of moveset potential we are rather pointing out character traits.

PS: I am not a FE hater

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No love for Kamui? At least she/he uses a Dragonstone in their movesets. :(

As I said again, Ayumi's inclusion probably would have made WFT's much less surprising if it actually happened. :laugh:
No. Honestly I don't really think Dragonstone is all that viable unless Kamui was permanently in dragon form or transformations were allowed.

CrongGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
CrongGamer
My 3 recommendations are Wolf, K Rool, and Rayman. Wolf because he is the most obvious DLC character in my opinion. K Rool since he is the most wanted 1st party newcomer, according to those "results" anyway. And Rayman ever since the Artsy Omni leak.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Why I think Lyn should be playable as an FE character and why I believe she deserves more than an AT. She's the first character you meet in FE7, as in, the first game outside Japan. That, and she has a bow
Theres a ton of characters who deserve to be playable but will never be playable, it is just a fact. At least lyn will be playable in PM.

Last edited:
I imagine manaketes working in the same way Volga does in Hyrule warriors.

either turning into a partial dragon (like he has one move where his arm becomes a claw)
or full on.

smash takes enough creative liberties as is I think it could be cool. Although Volga himself would be more preferred then any manakete imo

Burruni

Smash Hero
Those are Final Smashes, Kamui can transform mid battle at will
No "transformation" final smashes have near the processing matter that two individual character's movesets require (:sheilda:).
In fact, they're either a super charged version of that character (:4bowser::4wario2::4littlemac::4lucario:) or one that converts them into a very simplistic fighter with godly power (:4charizard::4falco::4fox::4gaw::4pacman::4pikachu::4sonic::4yoshi:) infact, it's easiest to compare them to :4bowserjr:'s Ejected mode in the latter case.

For a Manakete such as Tiki or Kamui or a Taguel/Laguz such as Panne or Ranulf, it would basically NEED to be an all or nothing for the transformation and anything in between would be lackluster to their identity.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Again, I'm rather tired, but isn't this what I basically said? Sorry for not being clear
No "transformation" final smashes have near the processing matter that two individual character's movesets require (:sheilda:).
In fact, they're either a super charged version of that character (:4bowser::4wario2::4littlemac::4lucario:) or one that converts them into a very simplistic fighter with godly power (:4charizard::4falco::4fox::4gaw::4pacman::4pikachu::4sonic::4yoshi:) infact, it's easiest to compare them to :4bowserjr:'s Ejected mode in the latter case.

For a Manakete such as Tiki or Kamui or a Taguel/Laguz such as Panne or Ranulf, it would basically NEED to be an all or nothing for the transformation and anything in between would be lackluster to their identity.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I like the "partially transform" idea but I think its way too much of a stretch for manaketes because that's nothing at all how they work. Yes, they've stretched the line, but not that much. My favorite idea for a new character from FE is Lyn, and I do think she'd be original despite being "just" a swordswoman since she's also got a bow she can use for some attacks but moreso because she's based on the swordmaster style of class, where she'd be about mixing acrobatics with swordplay.

Anna is next if she uses all FE physical weapons (like Robin using swords and almost all magic variants), then probably the FE14 Dancer assuming that's a lance she's got. Similar to Lyn she could be based around a more acrobatic, dance-style of moveset, but with a lance that's a more original and unique weapon.

Overall, though, I just don't care about getting a new FE character right now, especially if we're getting Roy as DLC. I'd rather get characters from a variety of other franchises, I think FE is well-represented with Robin alone.

Jayden's a guy
To be fair, my avatar doesn't quite clear up that I'm a guy, and I do have very long hair right now and one time I went to a stand up comedy routine within the past few months and one of the ushers told my sister (right behind me) "Are you with her?" lol. Its hard to determine who is what on the internet anyway.

I thought she was talking about final smashes the whole time.
Yeah, that's the issue. I see manaketes as an all-or-nothing thing, with possibly the Final Smash being a transformation. Plus, its notable that Giga Bowser, Giga Mac, Lucario, and Warioman all play identical to their normal selves with few differences, they're just bigger/more powerful. Other "transformation" final smashes are either one attack (Ganon, Mewtwo), or the character just flies around and deal damage by touching (Pikachu, Sonic), or only have 1-2 attacks in the transformation (Yoshi, Diddy).

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601

Things I'd like to say but wouldn't actually say even if it was a horrible excuse

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I like the "partially transform" idea but I think its way too much of a stretch for manaketes because that's nothing at all how they work. Yes, they've stretched the line, but not that much. My favorite idea for a new character from FE is Lyn, and I do think she'd be original despite being "just" a swordswoman since she's also got a bow she can use for some attacks but moreso because she's based on the swordmaster style of class, where she'd be about mixing acrobatics with swordplay.

Anna is next if she uses all FE physical weapons (like Robin using swords and almost all magic variants), then probably the FE14 Dancer assuming that's a lance she's got. Similar to Lyn she could be based around a more acrobatic, dance-style of moveset, but with a lance that's a more original and unique weapon.

Overall, though, I just don't care about getting a new FE character right now, especially if we're getting Roy as DLC. I'd rather get characters from a variety of other franchises, I think FE is well-represented with Robin alone.

To be fair, my avatar doesn't quite clear up that I'm a guy, and I do have very long hair right now and one time I went to a stand up comedy routine within the past few months and one of the ushers told my sister (right behind me) "Are you with her?" lol. Its hard to determine who is what on the internet anyway.

Yeah, that's the issue. I see manaketes as an all-or-nothing thing, with possibly the Final Smash being a transformation. Plus, its notable that Giga Bowser, Giga Mac, Lucario, and Warioman all play identical to their normal selves with few differences, they're just bigger/more powerful. Other "transformation" final smashes are either one attack (Ganon, Mewtwo), or the character just flies around and deal damage by touching (Pikachu, Sonic), or only have 1-2 attacks in the transformation (Yoshi, Diddy).
This brings the question though. Could moveset altering moves work? It is essentially what Giga Bowser, Wario Man, and Mega Lucario are, but they all take about 4 seconds to work. That's only slightly shorter than the lag in Jigglypuff's Rest. It made since for the transformations, but for something like changing weapons... I dunno.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Tiki's depicted with her Manakete spirit alongside her human self in her Smash trophy.

Close enough to canon for me~ :3

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
If it was "very popular" in Japan when it first came out then why didn't they decide to release the game outside of Japan? I mean the game was already fully spoken in English, they didn't have to put much work into localizing it. You do realize that the game was released outside of Japan on the virtual console before it was even revealed that Saki was making an appearance in Brawl, right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom