• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Speaking of indies, isn't Shovel Knight the highest voted character on the Sm4sh Poll next to King K. Rool?
Just saying.
Yes, but Shovel Knight has no merit being in Smash. Just what connections does he have to Nintendo when all his games are multiplat? Might as well vote for an Assassin's Creed protag.

And so another internet argument ensues. There's no need for name-calling like "********" and "stupid" in replies. All it does is weaken the overall post and incite more anger. @ManlySpirit You could definitely use less hostility in your replies as you can see the reception to it is very negative in turn. Anyone continuing to argue in this way will be given infractions since it's just dumb at this point.
Dude, if you ban me then you'd actually do me more of a favor, since I've been trying to perma-leave for a while now. I always find a reason to come back though. But go right ahead and do so if you feel you must, it'd make me more productive.

However, when people say dumb ****, I'm gonna respond with a lack of respect. Simple. Look at Kalim. Dude took the time to give me a well though out argument, and he got a respectful reply. I'm not gonna change the way I express myself to fit into a norm and a superficially friendly atmosphere. And harsh language is just part of how I speak and express myself. Words are just words after all. And look, I understand you're a mod who's just trying to do their job, so I won't give you a hard time. Tbh, I might take my own leave by weekend anyway since I was not supposed to come back in the first place. The direct and Banjo news simply merited some discussion with some of the friends I'd made on here, that's all.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Looks like? Yokai Watch 3 was announced recently and you haven't been able to tell for sure? After looking at the gameplay my thought of it possibly being luck based is gone for the most part
There might be luck-based moves, but I don't think there will be luck involved in normal gameplay.
From the gameplay I seen here:
It doesn't look luck-based at all.

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
And here I am, thinking that neither Banjo and Rayman will be in the game. I hardly see any third-parties getting in. Even Snake, a veteran, isn't that likely.

But that's just me.
I'm in the exact same boat.
I've just been hanging around the thread waiting for everyone to start talking about the chances of Nintendo owned characters again.

Last edited:
NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
I'm in the exact same boat.
I've just been hanging around the thread waiting for everyone to start talking about the chances of Nintendo owned characters again.
The only Nintendo-owned character I'm hoping for is Splatoon's Inkling, who is in your sig. I think she'd make a awesome moveset that uses the ink as sort of a DPS strategy, if anyone knows what that is.

Oh i wont kid myself. i think rayman is totally not happening. I agree snake is the only one with a chance from his special status.

But this community makes me look pessimistic with their views of up to 8 dlc characters before the ballot and i would still be surprised to see more than 5 including the 3 veterans :/

Those 5 are currently the 2 confirmed, wolf, isaac and either dixie or k rool, leaning towards the king

I would love wonder red though he isnt exactly. . . Important.

Last edited:

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
I'm 99% confident Nintendo will NOT consider Banjo. He may have been Nintendo character at one time but not anymore. Rare is a skeleton of its former self, Rare is not coming back with guns ablaze. Banjo is fully owned by Microsoft and has been for 13 years. There's a reason Banjo and Conker were taken out of Diddy Kong Racing DS and possibly why DKR64 hasn't been put on the VC. OF COURSE Phil Spencer is ok with it, he has everything to gain. The royalties and cuts he gets from the DLC and usage of Banjo and more people buying his system to get their Banjo fix. Nintendo gains nothing but pleasing some fans. Rare fans should be voting King K. Rool, as he is first party and has no legal hurdles.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I just wish Nintendo would say that they're not adding any 3rd party characters, so that we don't have to deal with this stupid bull****.

I'm legit convinced Electroplankton would be a great newcomer.

Convince me otherwise.
The elecyroplankton stage would assuredly detract more than what it could bring to the table.

Man i hated that stage.
I just wish Nintendo would say that they're not adding any 3rd party characters, so that we don't have to deal with this stupid bull****.
Instead tgey have specifically encouraged voting for them. Whiops

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Speaking of which, as terrible as the stage was to play on...it's kinda sad that Electroplankton was completely erased from Smash in the transition between Brawl and Smash 4. It's a real shame to lose emblem based series, especially ones that had playable characters like Ice Climber and Metal Gear.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think we'll probably get one 3rd Party at most. Probably Rayman, Prof. Layton or Phoenix Wright. I'm not expecting Sanke or Banjo-Kazooie to be considered, as popular as they may be.

Aside from Nintendo gaining little from their inclusion, something tells me their pride will stop Nintendo from choosing them.

:231:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Part of the reason I'd like an Electroplankton character is because I legit liked Hanenbow.

You cannot convince me otherwise.

To wit, I suggested it as a joke at first, then quickly realised it could actually work. Bouncing on leaves, shooting sonic waves, summoning the aid of the various note-fish, building up towards a harmonic crescendo...

Don't tell me you don't want it. I'll know you're lying if you say that.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
It's best to be pessimistic and then blown away by hype worthy announcements than having high expectations and walk away in disappointment.

That said, with DLC, there are already a lot of potential characters out of the way, so the pool of characters to choose from is bound to be smaller than that for the base game.

Given the limited resources, I'd think Sakurai will try to pick characters from as many different franchises as possible, which might not bode quite well for the Pokémon series. Ivysaur and Squirtle would be fine additions, but after Mewtwo, priority will likely go to other series.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
And so another internet argument ensues. There's no need for name-calling like "********" and "stupid" in replies. All it does is weaken the overall post and incite more anger. @ManlySpirit You could definitely use less hostility in your replies as you can see the reception to it is very negative in turn. Anyone continuing to argue in this way will be given infractions since it's just dumb at this point.
I'm assuming this was partially directed at me, as I was the one who called people stupid, and I am sorry(ish) for it.

You know, for being the only person to give me a reasonable reply, I won't sit around and troll like I have with others.

Dude, I have to disagree. Call it bias as well, but unlike Banjo, Rayman is not a Nintendo icon, at all. Unlike the other 3rd parties (barring Snake who was merely a favor), he hardly has any history with Nintendo. Simply put, he doesn't deserve the spot as much as what is essentially the face of the N64 and Rare, who was Nintendo's partner during the Golden Era.

Now if we look at how the 3rd parties were selected, Snake was a favor, Pac-Man happened due to Namco's involvement, and cause Miyamotto demanded it. And MegaMan and Sonic happened due to fan demand. Yes, both are important, but fan demand played a key role in that.

Thus, the only way Rayman gets in at this point, especially keeping in mind that he was apparently already considered by Sakurai, is by fan demand. In which, he falls short to Banjo in pretty much every survey. Every survey I've come across, Banjo is the most popular guest character, even more than Snake the veteran. Thus, to say that Rayman is more likely than Banjo, is in my opinion incorrect. I personally feel that out of the guest characters, Banjo has the best shot. This doesn't mean that Rayman doesn't have a shot, if the demand kicks up, he does, but as it stands now, he doesn't seem to garner the necessary support compared to other popular requests.

Simple number say, Banjo usually lands in the top 3 overall. Rayman barely makes the top 15 in most polls.
Every Rayman game has been on a Nintendo console, with the exception of the first which was ported over later. He's been on Nintendo systems for just as long as Banjo was, he's sold more games on Nintendo systems then Banjo has, and had a 3d platformer on the N64 that was almost as critically acclaimed as Banjo's was. Rayman definitely has history with Nintendo, he has a trophy in the game for a reason.

You are also basing your argument for Banjo's chances almost solely on the poll results, which first off aren't accurate (Though I would be shocked if Banjo didn't beat most, if not all of the other characters), and second, aren't the only things that are considered when making Smash characters. Banjo will be one of the most demanded, but that doesn't mean that Rayman will have none at all. Nintendo would have to be blind to have missed the response to the fake Rayman leak and the stir it caused.

Like @JamesDNaux, it's perfectly possible that Ubisoft went to Sakurai to get Rayman in Smash, but came too late, like Kojima and Snake in Melee. And unlike Sonic, Rayman isn't a character that Sakurai would be willing to delay the game for.

And while I don't put NEARLY as much stock into it as almost everyone else here, Banjo is owned by Microsoft. How much that ACTUALLY matters to Nintendo, I don't know, but it probably matters to some degree. I'd imagine that a deal with Ubisoft would be more desirable then a deal with Microsoft.

And whose to say we can't just have both? If they end up supporting DLC long enough, that is a possibility :p

And here I am, thinking that neither Banjo and Rayman will be in the game. I hardly see any third-parties getting in. Even Snake, a veteran, isn't that likely.

But that's just me.
I'm of the opinion that we don't know enough about third parties and Smash DLC to make the call, other then third party companies want them in and Nintendo reassured that Third Parties can be voted for. So I'm gonna be optimistic, but I fully understand the pessimistic approach as well.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Part of the reason I'd like an Electroplankton character is because I legit liked Hanenbow.

To wit, I suggested it as a joke at first, then quickly realised it could actually work. Bouncing on leaves, shooting sonic waves, summoning the aid of the various note-fish, building up towards a harmonic crescendo...

That's interesting. Elektroplankton's emblem was in the game's coding, right?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I believe there's a chance we might see a Donkey Kong character. Don't forget that Tropical Freeze came out last year.

Whether it's King K. Rool or Dixie Kong or both is anyone's guess, but if I had to make a prediction, I'd go for Dixie being prioritized.

Both characters are very popular and wanted, both in Japan and the West. However, there are two factors that favor Dixie:
- Considered for Brawl, as found in the game code and stated by Sakurai himself.
- Has appeared in a more recent title.

Both characters would be good additions, but if they are going to pick just one, I think Dixie is more likely.

That's interesting. Elektroplankton's emblem was in the game's coding, right?
Pretty sure it was.

Perhaps Hanenbow was meant to be a returning stage. Likely on the 3DS version, as Elektroplankton was a DS game.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I believe there's a chance we might see a Donkey Kong character. Don't forget that Tropical Freeze came out last year.

Whether it's King K. Rool or Dixie Kong or both is anyone's guess, but if I had to make a prediction, I'd go for Dixie being prioritized.

Both characters are very popular and wanted, both in Japan and the West. However, there are two factors that favor Dixie:
- Considered for Brawl, as found in the game code and stated by Sakurai himself.
- Has appeared in a more recent title.

Both characters would be good additions, but if they are going to pick just one, I think Dixie is more likely.

Pretty sure it was.

Perhaps Hanenbow was meant to be a returning stage. Likely on the 3DS version, as Elektroplankton was a DS game.
It was in the Wii U version's coding, and I'm certain th ballot is banking on popularity so K.Rool wins in that regard

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Calm down lassie, I admit, that's a nice idea, but just like with Rhythm Heaven, just because I like what a charactercan bring to the table doesn't mean I'll support unless I like th characters too
The beauty of it is that I can't tell if I'm being ironic or not.

:3

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023

pls
my brain is overloading

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
If Electroplankton were playable, they would have a really hard time on the Kalos Pokemon League stage when it goes into Water mode.
They'd always get eaten by Wailord.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's best to be pessimistic and then blown away by hype worthy announcements than having high expectations and walk away in disappointment.

That said, with DLC, there are already a lot of potential characters out of the way, so the pool of characters to choose from is bound to be smaller than that for the base game.

Given the limited resources, I'd think Sakurai will try to pick characters from as many different franchises as possible, which might not bode quite well for the Pokémon series. Ivysaur and Squirtle would be fine additions, but after Mewtwo, priority will likely go to other series.
My opinion is this: be optimistic about your character, but understand that he or she or it might not make it. If what Sakuri said at one point about there being no cuts was true, then we could very well get the characters that were cut later on, this includes Squirtle and Ivysaur, and Snake. Provided Snake's issues get resolved.

Well then . . I didnt expect to inadvertently get someone banned today but oh well.

On a lighter note
hypothetically if wonderful 102 was announced at e3 how would any of you feel about wonder red's chances? Bayonetta?

I would like to do this with KI but i know that isnt happening and my bias would be far too string

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Well then . . I didnt expect to inadvertently get someone banned today but oh well.

On a lighter note
hypothetically if wonderful 102 was announced at e3 how would any of you feel about wonder red's chances? Bayonetta?

I would like to do this with KI but i know that isnt happening and my bias would be far too string
I think a 102 was teased by Kamiya

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Rayman definitely has history with Nintendo, he has a trophy in the game for a reason.
It was more because Nintendo published Rayman Legends in Japan.

You are also basing your argument for Banjo's chances almost solely on the poll results, which first off aren't accurate (Though I would be shocked if Banjo didn't beat most, if not all of the other characters), and second, aren't the only things that are considered when making Smash characters. Banjo will be one of the most demanded, but that doesn't mean that Rayman will have none at all. Nintendo would have to be blind to have missed the response to the fake Rayman leak and the stir it caused.
Banjo will likely beat Rayman in the poll, in terms of total votes, becuase Banjo is better known worldwide than Rayman is. Rayman was basically unknown until the leak. If you look at worldwide sales of the 3DS and Wii U verison, Japan makes up 32 percent. This does not consider anyone owning both games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom