• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
The only way it would be cost effective is if Banjo would bring in more money then other DLC characters, and I'm not sure he really would, especially if Microsoft is taking a portion of that money.

Why make Banjo and advertise for your competitor, when you can make K. Rool, sell about the same amount of units, and not deal with the hassle?
By golly, I think he's got it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys are aware Nintendo has most likely already turned down the idea of Rayman being playable? Clearly Ubisoft wants it, do you think they didn't want it when he was made a trophy? Do you think back then they didn't ask for playable status yet Nintendo relegated Rayman to trophy status anyway? I'm not saying popularity definitely can't change anything, but keep in mind Nintendo has already entertained the notion of Rayman in Smash and decided to make him nothing more than a trophy.

Pac-Man is in a tier all his own, then Mario, then Sonic.
He's really not. Pac-Man is in Mario's tier. When he won that "most recognizable video game character" statistic he won it by less than a percent more than Mario five years ago.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You guys are aware Nintendo has most likely already turned down the idea of Rayman being playable? Clearly Ubisoft wants it, do you think they didn't want it when he was made a trophy? Do you think back then they didn't ask for playable status yet Nintendo relegated Rayman to trophy status anyway? I'm not saying popularity definitely can't change anything, but keep in mind Nintendo has already entertained the notion of Rayman in Smash and decided to make him nothing more than a trophy.

He's really not. Pac-Man is in Mario's tier. When he won that "most recognizable video game character" statistic he won it by less than a percent more than Mario five years ago.
I've been throwing around the theory that Ubisoft was just too late to get Rayman in the game, like a certain Soldier with Melee.

And I was thinking more along the lines of even people who live under rocks know who Pac-Man is.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, last week I did three write ups on Konami DLC choices, this week I will be writing about Ubisoft. I might just write two articles, how ever, as I feel like Rayman and the Prince of Persia are in a class of their own when compared to other possible Ubi reps. If anyone thinks differently, please let me know. (Assassin's Creed characters, Rabbids, and the Red Steel 2 protagonist all got some consideration, but I don't really know about their justifications.)

In the mean time, I wrote an article about whether or not Smash DLC was always planned for Smash 4.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/was-dlc-planned-for-smash-4/
I am so happy you mentioned the Prince of Persia! Prince of Persia is one of my favorite series.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I've been throwing around the theory that Ubisoft was just too late to get Rayman in the game, like a certain Soldier with Melee.
Seems like Ubisoft wouldn't still be campaigning if that was the case, Nintendo would already be planning him as DLC.

And I was thinking more along the lines of even people who live under rocks know who Pac-Man is.
Exactly, a fraction of a percent more people who live under rocks knew who Pac-Man was than Mario five years ago.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Exactly, a fraction of a percent more people who live under rocks knew who Pac-Man was than Mario five years ago.
Alright, Pac-Man isn't Meta Diddy broken tier, but he is still at the top. :4pacman:
Seems like Ubisoft wouldn't still be campaigning if that was the case, Nintendo would already be planning him as DLC.
It seems to be the actual Rayman team itself that's actually doing anything, and for all we know he could be planned and they're just trying to make it look good by asking fans to vote. We'll never really know unless Rayman does show up.

D

Deleted member

Rayman's not happening. Period.

I'm even willing to take bets on this one.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Alright, Pac-Man isn't Meta Diddy broken tier, but he is still at the top. :4pacman:
Yeah... maybe. I'm willing to bet most people recognized ol' limbless Pac-Man above the design we got in Smash, and as the years pass it's not like Mario and Pac-Man remain at level prominence, but... yeah, they'd still be in the highest tier together. TOGETHER.

It seems to be the actual Rayman team itself that's actually doing anything, and for all we know he could be planned and they're just trying to make it look good by asking fans to vote. We'll never really know unless Rayman does show up.
Don't start going into straw-grasping territory on me here!

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, what?

I don't think Rayman's a shoo-in or anything, but clamouring over Banjo and decrying Rayman at the same time?

That's not even irrational. That's just rude.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I keep getting CrashBoards...

Yeah... maybe. I'm willing to bet most people recognized ol' limbless Pac-Man above the design we got in Smash, and as the years pass it's not like Mario and Pac-Man remain at level prominence, but... yeah, they'd still be in the highest tier together. TOGETHER.
Pff, clearly the most iconic is Dong. :4dk:

Don't start going into straw-grasping territory on me here!
I ran out of hands to hold straws, could you help me carry them?

D

Deleted member

Yeah, what?

I don't think Rayman's a shoo-in or anything, but clamouring over Banjo and decrying Rayman at the same time?

That's not even irrational. That's just rude.
Take off the fanboy goggles:

survey.png

He doesn't even make the top ten in most polls:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...m4/pubchart?oid=1981029313&format=interactive

Hell, in this particular survey, he doesn't even have 1/3rd the votes Banjo has.

Rayman is already a trophy, and it has already been stated above by N3ON, it seems he was already passed up as a potential playable character by the Dev team. Only way he would get in would be by popular demand, and he simply doesn't have the support for it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Rayman > Banjo any day of the week.:lick:

View attachment 46862

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...m4/pubchart?oid=1981029313&format=interactive

Hell, in this particular survey, he doesn't even have 1/3rd the votes Banjo has.

Rayman is already a trophy, and it has already been stated above by N3ON, it seems he was already passed up as a potential playable character by the Dev team. Only way he would get in would be by popular demand, and he simply doesn't have the support for it.
Hey look, Isaac is second of the Nintendo characters on there! :troll:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

View attachment 46862

I'm not even a fan of Rayman. Where in the world did you get this notion?

You're missing my point, by the way.

The point is not "Rayman will definitely get in".

The point is, "BANJO WILL NOT DEFINITELY GET IN EITHER."

Funny how you're accusing of being irrational when you're refusing to acknowledge that Banjo's hurdles are equally as difficult as Rayman's, if not even moreso. Your bias and willful ignorance of the situation as it stands astounds me.

Oh, and I'm not a boy, either. ;P

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

View attachment 46862

Unofficial polls that most people won't take? Wow, if we want to use that as evidence, I saw a poll where Rayman was dominating by a large amount. Hell, on @PushDustIn's last poll before the ballots, Rayman was the number one newcomer, above K. Rool.

I like Banjo more than Rayman, but I know Banjo is less likely than Ridley.

Oh the irony and the outright rudeness

First half that popularity is from one recent event and support will obviously die down but that's not the point.

The point is that if a fan poll is half your argument you have no excuse to be insulting people. That and he has a far larger hurdle than rayman does, who was at least considered to be noteworthy by sakurai. Need i remind you he is wii u exclusive for legends in japan? Compare that to being xbox exclusive and the fact you think banjo is more likely means you are the one with clear bias and "fanboy goggles"

PLUS rayman is at least relevant and continues to have games. Banjo has 3 noteworthy ones one of which is detested by all and the other 2 are ancient

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
People are voting Banjo because they have false hope for something that will not happen.

Freaking Ridley & Bayonetta & Pink Gold Peach and noone else becoming DLC is more likely than Banjo.....

I'm sorry, but I see no logical way it will happen or why it should happen except for Banjo being a fairly important Nintendo character in the past, which of inself is a point against Banjo's chances.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think there won't be any third party characters for DLC, except for maybe Snake... And that's because he has veteran status.

Then again, I'm being skeptical and pessimistic. lol

I just voted once, for Wolf, so I don't really care about character supporting and whatnot anymore, though I have a lot of curiosity about which characters will make into the game.

But seriously, just give me Wolf and my only gripe with the roster will be gone at long last. Anyone else is icing on the cake.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey look, Isaac is second of the Nintendo characters on there! :troll:
That he is.

I think K.Rool and Isaac are both quite likely to be DLC. Period at this point. Inkling too.

Now if we could get Banjo and Wonder Red alongside those two, it would be perfect.

The point is, "BANJO WILL NOT DEFINITELY GET IN EITHER."
You sure are sure of yourself.

Your confidence clouds your judgement young Padawan.

Oh, and I'm not a boy, either. ;P
Thanks for pointing out that incredibly useless piece of info. ;)

So is N3ON btw.

Unofficial polls that most people won't take? Wow, if we want to use that as evidence, I saw a poll where Rayman was dominating by a large amount. Hell, on @PushDustIn's last poll before the ballots, Rayman was the number one newcomer, above K. Rool.

I like Banjo more than Rayman, but I know Banjo is less likely than Ridley.
Except Rayman barely has any history with Nintendo. He actually appears on more Sony consoles than Nintendo ones and his first big release was on PS1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayman

I can hardly find any justifiable reason as to why Rayman should be a Guest character for Smash outside of rather lackluster fan support. Perhaps if Legends had been kept a WiiU exclusive. But it wasn't. It's clear Sakurai and Co. felt he wasn't up to par with the rest of the icons to justify a full fledged character, and instead got a trophy.

Look, the facts are simple you two. The only guest characters left who have any sort of relevant history with Nintendo are Banjo as a Rare icon, and Simon as a Castlevania icon. After those two, every other guest character takes a back seat. And since Konami is being run by monkeys atm, I see the odds of Simon or Snake getting in rather slim.

Does this mean we're getting Banjo for sure? No. But if we get ANY guest characters for DLC, I'd be very surprised if it's not Banjo. To legitemately believe that Rayman has a better shot than Banjo is beyond delusional.

And as far as polls go, yeah, not **** they're not the actual results, especially since everyone is stuffing the surveys with false reports. But I'm hardly seeing any fabled Rayman support anywhere outside of SWF. And people here only care cause of that false leak. Rayman is just another case of the Chorus Kids and Roy. People only give a **** cause it almost happened.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You sure are sure of yourself.

Your confidence clouds your judgement young Padawan.
I said that Banjo is not definitely likely, not Banjo is definitely not likely.

Semantics, bro.

Also you're a hypocrite.

Thanks for pointing out that incredibly useless piece of info. ;)

So is N3ON btw.
Just sayin', if you're going to falsely accuse me of being a fan of something, may as well get the gender right.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Except Rayman barely has any history with Nintendo. He actually appears on more Sony consoles than Nintendo ones and his first big release was on PS1.

I'm laughing too hard right now, I can't even take you seriously after that. Rayman is more a Sony character?

Banjo is a Microsoft character, mate. He hasn't been with Nintendo for over a decade. Get over like everyone else did.

D

Deleted member

Oh the irony and the outright rudeness

First half that popularity is from one recent event and support will obviously die down but that's not the point.

The point is that if a fan poll is half your argument you have no excuse to be insulting people. That and he has a far larger hurdle than rayman does, who was at least considered to be noteworthy by sakurai. Need i remind you he is wii u exclusive for legends in japan? Compare that to being xbox exclusive and the fact you think banjo is more likely means you are the one with clear bias and "fanboy goggles"

PLUS rayman is at least relevant and continues to have games. Banjo has 3 noteworthy ones one of which is detested by all and the other 2 are ancient
>legitimately using "muh relevancy" to support your argument.

Now you're just pretending to be stupid.

Duck Hunt sure was relevant wasn't he? As were the IC, and Pit, and Diddy Kong.

Hell, K.Rool is hardly relevant at all, yet we don't see that apply to him at all.

Also, Rayman was "considered noteworth by Sakrurai." Yeah, noteworthy enough for a trophy. Have fun. :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Banjo is a Nintendo character owned by Microsoft.

He's not a Microsoft character. Shutupshutupshutupicanthearyou

D

Deleted member

I said that Banjo is not definitely likely, not Banjo is definitely not likely.

Semantics, bro.

Also you're a hypocrite.

Just sayin', if you're going to falsely accuse me of being a fan of something, may as well get the gender right.

I'm laughing too hard right now, I can't even take you seriously after that. Rayman is more a Sony character?

Banjo is a Microsoft character, mate. He hasn't been with Nintendo for over a decade. Get over like everyone else did.
Originally designed for the Atari Jaguar in 1995, a PlayStation version was developed and released around the same time, and further ports were created for MS-DOS and Sega Saturn in 1996. It has appeared in various other formats, such as Game Boy Advance,PlayStation Network and DSiWare.
He sure as hell isn't a NINTENDO character...

As for Banjo.. He was born on Nintendo, has more games on Nintendo, and is generally, still associated with Nintendo by the general public since most try to pretend NnB doesn't exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

Hell, K.Rool is hardly relevant at all, yet we don't see that apply to him at all.

Also, Rayman was "considered noteworth by Sakrurai." Yeah, noteworthy enough for a trophy. Have fun. :troll:
You can never know Sakurai's reasoning.
Perhaps he only wanted 3 3rd parties, and the ones we got shall be the only ones we will have for this game.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023
Oh boy, arguments! This is the perfect time to say something that'll end up in complete wreckage sooner or later!
I agree with @ Wintropy Wintropy and @ Wolfie557 Wolfie557 , Banjo has a slim chance of getting in Sm4sh. Even though an "OK" was issued by the head of Xbox, it doesn't exactly mean that Nintendo's all right with it. And Konami is outta their head nowadays. The only man keeping that company alive is Kojima, and he's leaving Konami.

Using meme/4chan arrows and insulting people. Yeah that will get peopLe to agree with you

Plus those are retros. You would have to be ignorant to not understand that and the fact you would even bring up duck hunt makes me think you are trolling.

As for Banjo.. He was born on Nintendo, has more games on Nintendo, and is generally, still associated with Nintendo by the general public since most try to pretend NnB doesn't exist.
He isnt microsoft because i dont think hes microsoft.

Now youre just being silly.

In fact you are outright ignoring facts t this point and its barely worth the argument but i guess its fun enough to watch you continue

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

20%- Snake
15%- Jibanyan, Professor Layton, Rayman, and Bayonetta
10%- Monster Hunter, Black Mage, Agnes Oblige, Geno, and Phoenix Wright
5%- Tails, Knuckles, Simon Belmont, Bomberman, Sora, and Quote
3%- Shovel Knight, Shantae, Gunvolt, and Commander Video
1%- Banjo-Kazooie

This one took a while but I'm finally done! ^^
What do you think?

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Oh boy, arguments! This is the perfect time to say something that'll end up in complete wreckage sooner or later!
I agree with @ Wintropy Wintropy and @ Wolfie557 Wolfie557 , Banjo has a slim chance of getting in Sm4sh. Even though an "OK" was issued by the head of Xbox, it doesn't exactly mean that Nintendo's all right with it. And Konami is outta their head nowadays. The only man keeping that company alive is Kojima, and he's leaving Konami.
There's rumours that Konami fired Kojima nowadays lmao.

D

Deleted member

Guys, ignore ManlySpirit, he said that Banjo supporters should "beat the indie/furry ******s" and doesn't see the irony in the furry parr
I said what?

When the hell did I say that?

Deal is. I wasn't even debating Banjo. Dunno how we got on that.

I simply said Rayman ain't happening, and in the process pissed off a lot of butthurt fanboys.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Pac-Man is not a Nintendo character.
Mega Man is not a Nintendo character.
Sonic is not a Nintendo character.

Also, can I just point out the irony in someone who has Snake listed as their Brawl main calling another character "not Nintendo"?

It doesn't matter what people associate Banjo with, Microsoft owns him. M$ is a direct competitor to Nintendo.

Either you're completely delusional or you're having a good fun trip down troll lane.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

20%- Snake
1%- Banjo-Kazooie

What do you think?
Sounds about right IMHO, even if I do not know who the **** Jibanyan is and I assume Snake is at the top due to being a Veteran. A damn well good character, who mostly got in because Kojima & Sakurai are besties, as we all know.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

20%- Snake
1%- Banjo-Kazooie

What do you think?
Better.png