• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If Rare remained buddies with Nintendo or Nintendo bought back the Banjo-Kazooie IP, I have no doubt whatsoever that Banjo would be in Smash.

As it stands - and, quite honestly, even if that were the case - there are about fifty characters I'd rather see before him.

Burruni

Smash Hero
And banjos legacy has certainly been . . . exagerated but its only fair on a nintendo board of many people who grew up with the n64.

Although i have no doubt if bango was owned by nintendo he would be playable even if he only had 2 games.

If Rare remained buddies with Nintendo or Nintendo bought back the Banjo-Kazooie IP, I have no doubt whatsoever that Banjo would be in Smash.

As it stands - and, quite honestly, even if that were the case - there are about fifty characters I'd rather see before him.
This right here is big. Banjo-Kazooie were big around the time of Melee polls, and for good reason! A great 2 games on the N64, a third teased in the making? These guys seemed like they were gonna be the next Samus, not quite :4mario::4kirby::4pikachu::4link: A-tier Nintendo franchise, but certainly B-Tier.

We don't live in that situation because of what happened. Since the N64, there have been two Banjo games. a GBA kinda-sorta-sequel that nobody talks about because few played it and the "rebirth" on Xbox360 that nobody WANTS to talk about. Considering Microsoft's usage of Rareware since the buyout, the only times Rare IPs have been used on Nintendo were done by THQ and were often sub-par rereleases onto handhelds, and with Project Ukelele aiming to be a WiiU exclusive spiritual successor to the dynamic duo (a piece of knowledge I have no doubt either Rare or Microsoft are unaware of), I just can't have the hope.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Really beating a dead horse with this Banjo rights argument... It's been like.. 20 straight pages. Can we discuss a different character yet?

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Just as ye sow the wind, so shall ye reap the whirlwind.

:3
Honestly the Banjo argument is becoming the Ridley argument 2.0. Now all we need is Sakurai to tweet a picture of brown fur and everyone will run around in circles screaming "COMFIRMED, CONFIRMED!!!" when it's actually just Dixie Kong. And then everyone will get mad at Sakurai again and say he lied to them.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
After playing the majority of 2 and beating the others I can safely say Prime 2 is the worst of the three. Stupid Sanctuary Fortress. At least Dark Samus, a character who should have been playable is fun to fight
I enjoyed 2 alot but the dark world stuff was very annoying, the environments of the game didnt have alot of variety so each place wasnt as super distinguishable, and the game was missing ridley. Other than that it was alot of fun but prime 1 is alot better (except the screw attack is amazing in 2.) I havent played 3 yet.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If its as simple as you imply, then why was DK64 not released until now?
Correlation does not equal causation. The Wii did not have that many N64 games on its VC, only numbering 21. Compare that to the other systems like the SNES and NES and they had a much larger library by comparison.

Likewise, if the head of the Xbox division has expressed interest in seeing Banjo in Smash, then what exactly is as difficult to overcome as you imply? Especially since you imply that the obstacle lies with Microsoft, the very same Microsoft that has said they'd like to see Banjo in Smash and has in the past has offered "undisclosed Rare IP" to appear on Nintendo VC, and will do so again if it can be of benefit to them somehow.
I have to disagree with that idea. The majority of the obstacles now lie in fan demand, and Nintendo's willingness to go through with it, and the demand is clearly there if Ukulele is any indicator.
I'm not arguing the character, I'm arguing about the games themselves. Anyway, even if Microsoft was completely on board (and nothing says that it still would be easy in that situation), that doesn't mean Nintendo would be or agree to their terms.

Anyway, I don't quite understand the pessimism surrounding Banjo.
I get it if some people don't wanna see Banjo in Smash, I get it if some people would rather see other characters get in Smash, but I don't get it if someone WANTS to see Banjo in Smash, but chooses to be pessimistic about it for one reason or another. And this is something I've seen quite a lot in a few places (namely /v/ and here).
I don't see why just because fans are skeptical, that means they're pessimists. Yeah it would be great to have the character in the game, but if people feel that the problems he has greatly outweigh that comment, then of course they will be skeptical of the situation.

EDIT: Somewhat unrelated, but those ARE words to live by, as it applies to EVERY area of life, not just some silly ballot.
If you allow yourself to be limited by pessimism and negativity then you'll only become your own prison, and you'll never get what you want in life. **** the odds, and **** thinking about it. If you want something, then make a clear plan of action, go through with it, and just do everything in your power to get it.
No, this doesn't guarantee you'll succeed. But at least you gave it your best, and that's something you can always be satisfied with.
On the same vein, you can't be too over optimistic. A chance is a chance, no one is saying otherwise, but that doesn't mean that skepticism doesn't have a place here.

Except technically Nintendo still owns the games Rare released on their systems in some manner; they were the publishers of the software. They still need to negotiate specifics with Microsoft, but saying that they're all completely owned by Microsoft is not quite accurate; Microsoft only owns the XBLA re-releases, not the original N64 versions. If Nintendo wants to release the original N64 games on the Virtual Console, the only obstacle would be negotiating the rights with Microsoft for permission to use the IP's (which could also end up with discussion about Banjo being DLC in Smash), not the games.

The only other Rare N64 game not on the VC is Diddy Kong Racing, which is a Nintendo-owned IP spinoff.
And as you noted, Nintendo doesn't own those IPs. Again, they own the complete rights to DK64 and the rights to the IP that it belongs to (DK), which is not the case with the Rare titles, so the situations still differ greatly and doesn't really show that they can be on VC.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I really don't see Ice Climbers happening.
The Ice Climbers are a weird case, but here`s how I think it`ll go down. They`ll likely be chosen as DLC characters as long as the technical difficulties are worked around. To do that, they will have a small team dedicated to them, and if they succeed, bam, here come Ice Climbers. Sakurai`s wording implied that they required more time than they were worth, but shouldn`t DLC throw that out the window?

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
The Rayman team is now fully on board with Rayman being in Smash.
"Don't you think that's a bit cheeky to ask considering Ubisoft has so little faith in the Wii U?" I feel like this comment alone is just the perfect snarky remark to how hard they're trying to sell Rayman in spite of recent matters.

Strofirko

Smash Master
"Don't you think that's a bit cheeky to ask considering Ubisoft has so little faith in the Wii U?" I feel like this comment alone is just the perfect snarky remark to how hard they're trying to sell Rayman in spite of recent matters.
"Don't pass the sins from the father to the son."
Random internet quote.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Capcom Games on Wii U: 2
Namco Games on Wii U: 2
Ubisoft Games on Wii U: 14

Try to tell me that Rayman shouldn't be in Smash because of Ubisoft while Mega Man gets a pass because "muh nostalgia."

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Rayman isn't in the Legendary tier that Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man are in, but he certainly puts up a fight. After those three, Rayman is next in line. Well, after Snake of course ;)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Rayman isn't in the Legendary tier that Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man are in, but he certainly puts up a fight. After those three, Rayman is next in line. Well, after Snake of course ;)
Pac-Man is in a tier all his own, then Mario, then Sonic. Mega Man isn't even on par with them, but Rayman is definitely on par with him. Snake is somewhere above them. I hear the excuse of "I've never heard of Rayman, so he's clearly not as iconic as Mega Man" a lot, but I've known Rayman for nearly my whole life yet I didn't know Mega Man for most of it, excuses.

As a franchise, Rayman is barely younger than Sonic and has had many games over twenty years by September, he's only just lagging behind Mega Man in sales, but that doesn't even count any sales from the Raving Rabbids games.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
You could play a drinking game for all the developers announcing their support for their characters on the ballot.

Though let's not do that.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't think it's fair to say Mega Man isn't on at least the same level of cultural recognition as Rayman is. Saying "I know Rayman better" isn't really a vindication, either: I grew up with Mega Man every-bloody-where in my area of personal interest, Rayman only briefly factored into it every so often. Like it or not, Mega Man is very much a legend in his own right; while the "classic" series may not be nearly as iconic or recognisable to the modern layman as, say, the X series or even the Battle Nework series, it's still dismissing the fact that Mega Man, and the Mega Man series, has been around for a very, very long time and has seeped into pretty much every area of popular culture at some point or another.

I don't want to turn this into a feather-preening contest, as Rayman is very well-known and iconic in his own right, but to say that he's objectively more successful or popular than Mega Man is just plain incorrect. Rayman should be able to get in on his own merits anyway, not by riding the coattails of the cool kids, and goodness knows he's got enough individual qualities to make it into the roster.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't think it's fair to say Mega Man isn't on at least the same level of cultural recognition as Rayman is.
I never said Mega Man wasn't iconic, or that Rayman was more iconic, I said Rayman is at least as iconic as Rock.

The only thing I object to is someone saying Mega Man is as iconic as Pac-Man or even Sonic, that's just not true.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I never said Mega Man wasn't iconic, or that Rayman was more iconic, I said Rayman is at least as iconic as Rock.

The only thing I object to is someone saying Mega Man is as iconic as Pac-Man or even Sonic, that's just not true.
That I can't argue with. Though I'm certainly not suggesting Mega Man is as iconic as the above two, just that he's in Smash for a reason.

It'd be interesting if a Western-developed third-party character made it into Smash. :3

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601

Oh, good God no! I just didn't feel like arranging them from greatest to least xD

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So, last week I did three write ups on Konami DLC choices, this week I will be writing about Ubisoft. I might just write two articles, how ever, as I feel like Rayman and the Prince of Persia are in a class of their own when compared to other possible Ubi reps. If anyone thinks differently, please let me know. (Assassin's Creed characters, Rabbids, and the Red Steel 2 protagonist all got some consideration, but I don't really know about their justifications.)

In the mean time, I wrote an article about whether or not Smash DLC was always planned for Smash 4.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/was-dlc-planned-for-smash-4/

VioletScarlett

Smash Rookie
Except technically Nintendo still owns the games Rare released on their systems in some manner; they were the publishers of the software. They still need to negotiate specifics with Microsoft, but saying that they're all completely owned by Microsoft is not quite accurate; Microsoft only owns the XBLA re-releases, not the original N64 versions. If Nintendo wants to release the original N64 games on the Virtual Console, the only obstacle would be negotiating the rights with Microsoft for permission to use the IP's (which could also end up with discussion about Banjo being DLC in Smash), not the games.

The only other Rare N64 game not on the VC is Diddy Kong Racing, which is a Nintendo-owned IP spinoff.
... I know this is a bit off-topic, but I'm cerious to how Tyrantrum is suppose to work as a Smash-Character.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I don't give two ****s about character history or "legend" tier 3rd party characters. 2 of those legends I don't care about at all, but i understand why they are held to such high regard to others.(except Megaman beyond/during HD era.) Soon enough the minecraft character and stuff will be 'legends' to current generations, possibly.

As long as the character is fun to play as and is either 3rd party or Nintendo owned, I am a happy kitty.:i6rkW:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom