• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If people say Chrom can be unique, what's stopping Sakurai from, you know, adding Roy back and just making him unique?

I agree though, I've been turned away from Fire Emblem by most of the debate going around in circles.

Instead of Meowth, lets just do the cat suit item from Mario. Everyone would look cute with their own cat suit.
Ridley in a cat suit. Oh god.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If people say Chrom can be unique, what's stopping Sakurai from, you know, adding Roy back and just making him unique.
I agree with not talking about FE anymore, but Awakening's huge success really makes an Awakening character more likely.
Roy is (gulp) prettyirrelevantatthispointintimesoIfeellikeChromwouldbemadeuniquefirst.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If people say Chrom can be unique, what's stopping Sakurai from, you know, adding Roy back and just making him unique?

I agree though, I've been turned away from Fire Emblem by most of the debate going around in circles.

Ridley in a cat suit. Oh god.
Because it might be better to add Chrom and make him unique as a marketing tactic?

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Do I have to use my secret weapon to end this FE debate?
Can someone please bring up an interesting topic?
Edit: Holy Pikachu's, check out my post account! It's the same as this year!

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I want to hear all of them say "meow" as well while stuffed in their suit. Marth would say "meow" in Japanese.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Because it might be better to add Chrom and make him unique as a marketing tactic?
And why do you care about marketing? :troll:
No FE? Looks like it's roster time...again.
Well, Midna (still) probably will never happen, and I personally don't like Marth with ****... But four out of five of my sig is bonus points: 8/10.
As much as I like Midna, it'll never happen, and I doubt a new Zelda character in general. Would have got a 9 if she wasn't there.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And why do you care about marketing? :troll:

Well, Midna (still) probably will never happen, and I personally don't like Marth with ****... But four out of five of my sig is bonus points: 8/10.
As much as I like Midna, it'll never happen, and I doubt a new Zelda character in general. Would have got a 9 if she wasn't there.
OH GOD. THAT ICON.

SOMETHING STICKS OUT TOO MUCH
OHGOD
WIOSHA

I agree,really. Midna has a chance,but it isn't as big as Ghirahim.

even Toon Zelda has a higher chance.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Have you seen the full roster yourself? You don't know that. Don't be so dismissive.
Well then, I'd say that Midna is an unlikely choice, but not completely out of the question.

Out of curiosity, what are you're justifications for her over characters like Ghirahim, Tingle, Toon Zelda/Tetra, etc?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't give a flip about marketing, but I think IS will do it for the sake of Awakening selling more copies.
Dunno, pretty sure Little Mac punched-out the notion of characters having to be recent or having to advertise something. In before someone calls him a retro.

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Roy is not unique.
A sword of fire is not unique? If Roy is included he will be tweaked as much as Falco and Ganondorf. Then the fire will truly be unique. Unless we have Takamaru.

We CAN'T SAY how unique Chrom will be since we don't know how he plays.
Judging by the way Sakurai treats characters in his resume, we can infer he would be a semi-clone of Marth. Unless of course you don't want to use any basis and just say "I have faith Sakurai will make him unique regardless."

That being said Chrom DOES warrant an inclusion based on the success of his game.
Soccer eye? Is zat you?

Characters like Villager aren't really all-stars per se, but they represent an important game so basically they are the incarnation of said game in Smash Bros.
That's a good basis for characters being imlemented because of games. But, there is a flaw with this. Chrom is from a series of 13 games of which he only appears once. Villager is from a series of 4 games ( I think ) in which he appears in all of them. Wii Fit Trainer is from a series of 2 games in which she appears in all of them.

I think it's more so that a franchise can warrant an inclusion of a character. Not a particular installment from that franchise.

Awakening SAVED THE FRANCHISE so I think it would be ridiculous not to represent it in Smash Bros.
I really get tired of people using what THEY see as a warrant or merit to justify Sakurai seeing something as a warrant or merit. People being like "Oh, well Krystal's most popular appearance features her staff, so WE don't see why it wouldn't make sense to implement it." or "Well, if it weren't for Ghiriham, the other stories wouldn't have happened so he should be in!"

Don't just use what YOU or your fellow Smash fans see as reasons why THEY think someone should be included as your basis for adding a character. Because for all you know, Sakurai probably thinks that's complete bull ****.

If I want to go around saying that Sakurai will look for another F-Zero character because he thinks that it should get another representative I will use a basis for declaring this a character merit. Like that Sakurai thought Metroid should have another representative.
I'm not going to use my own bias views on why I personally think a character should be added. I will use what has gotten other characters included in the past.

I could go around saying that I think it would be ridiculous to not add Skull Kid because Majora's Mask is one of the most talked about games in the series. But, being the most talked about game in the series has never even been suggested as a reason for including a character. Nor has "saving" a series regardless of your potential and importance to it.

If it was like EarthBound, a relatively obscure and small series that didn't actually have several other protagonists to choose from than you might be getting something. But, adding a character just because his installment was more well received than than the last couple ones is completely asinine. And I don't know why people are running around going "Oh, he saved the series!". From what!? Wasn't the installment before it 3 years before it? What was endangering it???

Last edited by a moderator:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@SaturnGamer64
I'll sum up my arguments, I don't have much time and I don't feel like writing a wall of text.

Roy having a sword with fire effects does not make him unique at all. Falco nor Ganondorf are unique, and Roy isn't either.

No offense Saturn, but your semi-clone reasoning is kinda bull crap. I'm not going to get into an argument with you, but given Sakurai's unique character choices this time around I have trouble imagining him adding any more semi-clones. Just because a character looks like another doesn't make them an automatic semi-clone, we've been over this many times.

I can agree with what you said about FE being a big series and all, but Awakening did in fact save the series. The folks at IS were going to cancel the franchise if Awakening didn't sell well, and look how it ended up. So yes, Awakening saved the series, no matter how you put it.

And I too find Chrom somewhat bland. He doesn't interest me, but he is just as good as a choice as Roy, and his relevance (yes, relevance) puts him over Roy.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
3DS Roster.png

Current Roster. Thoughts?

(If I added 5 Characters, they would be Dixie Kong, Roy, Impa, Pac Man, and Mii)

Last edited:

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Bring back Ike.

Just Marth and Ike.

There for everyone won't give a ****.
I think anybody who supports not caring who the 3rd Fire Emblem character is is therefore supporting the attempted inclusion of Roy. Because if Sakurai truly doesn't care who the other Fire Emblem character is, he's probably going to slap in that clone veteran he has lying around.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think anybody who supports not caring who the 3rd Fire Emblem character is is therefore supporting the attempted inclusion of Roy. Because if Sakurai truly doesn't care who the other Fire Emblem character is, he's probably going to slap in that clone veteran he has lying around.
I don't care, but I don't want Roy.
So there's that I s'pose.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well then, I'd say that Midna is an unlikely choice, but not completely out of the question.

Out of curiosity, what are you're justifications for her over characters like Ghirahim, Tingle, Toon Zelda/Tetra, etc?
I'm confused about cutting Ghirahim yet you added Midna.
Both are one-shots, and personally I feel that Ghirahim has a considerable leg up.
No complaints outside of that.
Well folks, call me crazy, but I believe that there are a multitude of factors in her favour. The first and most obvious, albeit small, is that the Zelda characters in this game use her artstyle over the more recent Skyward Sword, showing that receny isn't the only thing that is important here. Secondly, I think that Zelda is sufficiently represented as is, and subsequent Zelda characters would need ample popularity and potential, both of which she definitely possesses or has possessed.
While she certainly isn't a huge deal now, keep in mind before Rosalina was confirmed she was about on the same level.

While Rosalina's multiple appearances lend to her likelihood, the Mario series gets several releases every year, including countless spin-offs. Zelda gets a release every couple years and no spin-offs. And Mario characters are almost always recycled, whereas Zelda characters aren't. So of course they were going to use Rosalina again, Super Mario Galaxy was a huge deal. As was Twilight Princess, at least for the West.

Which brings me to my final point. She could very easily represent the US Zelda fanbase, since Twilight Princess was practically made for them.

Keep in mind this is why I think she's possible. Not why I think she is likely.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think anybody who supports not caring who the 3rd Fire Emblem character is is therefore supporting the attempted inclusion of Roy..
OR...

They just want Marth and Ike back and are so sick of people arguing about the 3rd character that they honestly became tired of Fire Emblem and no longer care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom