• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ah but back then was the beauty of going over friends houses and playing on their 64! Nowadays kids just sit there staring at their comps trying to trend or make up some "dank meme" its really sad yo.

Thats how i played banjo, it was really fun, hope you discovered it too if not go play it.

OT: wow another indie, whats next square eni-- nah.
I only know one person who had an N64, he moved away and I was mute for a while growing up. First system was a PS1 without a memory card, my mother had a friend who gave me a Gamecube, sweet memories...

Strofirko

Smash Master
I would never expect to see the day indie companies would show to be more hungry than the AAA industry...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
My family had an N64 but I never played Banjo-Kazooie. :p
Same here really. I had a Pikachu N64 but I didn't really have all that many games for it, especially not Banjo Kazooie. The only Rare made game I ever had was Donkey Kong 64 which I repurchased off the Wii U eShop.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No regrets!

:052::024::110: all originated in video games first.

:052::024: and :052::110: would be unique and creative!

If Sakurai thinks that :052: by itself isn't unique enough, then perhaps :052::024: and :052::110: would be unique enough. Lack of recency and relevancy be damned!

Oh, and since :024: and :110: lack limbs, :052: would provide them with the necessary limbs to perform basic moves like grabbing the ledge and picking up items.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
No regrets!

:052::024::110: all originated in video games first.

:052::024: and :052::110: would be unique and creative!

If Sakurai thinks that :052: by itself isn't unique enough, then perhaps :052::024: and :052::110: would be unique enough. Lack of recency and relevancy be damned!

Oh, and since :024: and :110: lack limbs, :052: would provide them with the necessary limbs to perform basic moves like grabbing the ledge and picking up items.
I believe we shouldn't get any Kanto newcomers until every generation has multiple reps and the vets return

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Just as an aside, what happened to the other Square Enix character threads? I remember there used to be a Crono thread here a long time ago, but several searches here turned up nothing on either Crono, Sora, or Cloud Strife. I thought those characters still had some support. Does anyone here still want them or some other Square character in Smash, or are we Geno fans the only ones left?
i found Crono brawl thread http://smashboards.com/threads/the-wow-chrono-characters-should-be-in-this-thread.71443/ but its dead since 2008 :ohwell:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I believe we shouldn't get any Kanto newcomers until every generation has multiple reps and the vets return
Again with the "reps".

:4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo: were in 2nd gen, 3rd gen, 4th gen, 5th gen, and 6th gen games too, not just the 1st gen games.

I don't like the idea of holding back possible unique newcomers just because we don't have all the veterans. I don't like the idea of holding back 1st gen Pokemon newcomers just because we don't have a 2nd gen Pokemon, 3rd gen Pokemon, and 5th gen Pokemon. They are all Pokemon.

It is like saying we shouldn't get one more Ocarina of Time character (Impa) unless we have reps from other Zelda games like Skull Kid (Majora's Mask), Midna (Twilight Princess), and Ghirahim (Skyward Sword) even though Impa was also in Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Again with the "reps".

:4pikachu::4charizard::4jigglypuff::4mewtwo: were in 2nd gen, 3rd gen, 4th gen, 5th gen, and 6th gen games too, not just the 1st gen games.

I don't like the idea of holding back possible unique newcomers just because we don't have all the veterans. I don't like the idea of holding back 1st gen Pokemon newcomers just because we don't have a 2nd gen Pokemon, 3rd gen Pokemon, and 5th gen Pokemon. They are all Pokemon.

It is like saying we shouldn't get one more Ocarina of Time character (Impa) unless we have reps from other Zelda games like Skull Kid (Majora's Mask), Midna (Twilight Princess), and Ghirahim (Skyward Sword) even though Impa was also in Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors.
My main problem with pokemon is we should have multiple reps of every generation, where's Heracross?Zoroark?Sceptile? Anyone from a different generation?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My main problem with pokemon is we should have multiple reps of every generation, where's Heracross?Zoroark?Sceptile? Anyone from a different generation?
And why do we need to have each generation represented? For what?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
We have too many Super Mario Bros. reps.
Seriously, there's Mario, Luigi, Peach, AND Bowser as Super Mario Bros. reps!

No Toad unless we have a Super Mario Bros. 2 or Super Mario World Rep!

/joke

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I think Toad should never be playable, generic, nothing to use as potential, is a species instead of a character. Pokemon gets away with this as the buggers are the main focus of the franchise. Toad should never, ever be playable.

Now CAPTAIN Toad on the otber hand...Hate a bit less, will never get his game personally but I think he deserves a spot

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy , I tested a couple of CPU opponents to see how healing-by-crouching would hypothetically work. Both times, I managed to stay crouching without being intercepted for about thirty seconds; if the opponent approached, I d-tilted them back or used b-throw to get them off the edge. In a scenario where I would heal 3% every second I remain crouched, I would have healed upwards of 90% with minimal effort. That's basically an entire stock restored by doing practically nothing.

No character needs to have automatic healing. Healing moves in general are inherently anomalous: aside from a few notable outliers like Ness / Lucas, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer and Pac-Man, characters cannot heal themselves naturally - and even in those cases, the character only heals by using a particular, often very situational, move. It's not something that can be relied upon. If it was and it was easy to spam healing, it would be redundant to even bother fighting, since all you'd have to do is turtle the entire match and slowly rack up damage on your opponent while healing any hits you sustain.

Possibly if Pichu had a severe recoil mechanic, even more dangerous than it already has, or if it slowly accrued natural damage over time, I'd concede that it could work. As it stands, it's simply too powerful: especially healing 3% every second. That is a huge amount of damage nullified for a minimum of commitment. 1% every second may be more viable, or just remove the healing mechanic altogether. Why make it arbitrarily superior in a most anomalous manner when you're already buffing Pichu massively in every other respect?

@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen , that's pretty arbitrary. What does Captain Toad do that Toad couldn't possibly adopt?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
@ SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy , I tested a couple of CPU opponents to see how healing-by-crouching would hypothetically work. Both times, I managed to stay crouching without being intercepted for about thirty seconds; if the opponent approached, I d-tilted them back or used b-throw to get them off the edge. In a scenario where I would heal 3% every second I remain crouched, I would have healed upwards of 90% with minimal effort. That's basically an entire stock restored by doing practically nothing.

No character needs to have automatic healing. Healing moves in general are inherently anomalous: aside from a few notable outliers like Ness / Lucas, Robin, Wii Fit Trainer and Pac-Man, characters cannot heal themselves naturally - and even in those cases, the character only heals by using a particular, often very situational, move. It's not something that can be relied upon. If it was and it was easy to spam healing, it would be redundant to even bother fighting, since all you'd have to do is turtle the entire match and slowly rack up damage on your opponent while healing any hits you sustain.

Possibly if Pichu had a severe recoil, even more dangerous than it already has, or if it slowly accrued natural damage over time, I'd concede that it could work. As it stands, it's simply too powerful: especially healing 3% every second. That is a huge amount of damage nullified for a minimum of commitment. 1% every second may be more viable, or just remove the healing mechanic altogether. Why make it arbitrarily superior in a most anomalous manner when you're already buffing Pichu massively in every other respect?
Pichu falls asleep when crouchinh though, right?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
We have too many Super Mario Bros. reps.
Seriously, there's Mario, Luigi, Peach, AND Bowser as Super Mario Bros. reps!

No Toad unless we have a Super Mario Bros. 2 or Super Mario World Rep!

/joke
It is just as bad as saying we need a Donkey Kong Arcade rep!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think Toad should never be playable, generic, nothing to use as potential, is a species instead of a character. Pokemon gets away with this as the buggers are the main focus of the franchise. Toad should never, ever be playable.

Now CAPTAIN Toad on the otber hand...Hate a bit less, will never get his game personally but I think he deserves a spot
Just like Waddle Dee right? :troll:

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Just like Waddle Dee right? :troll:
Bandanna Dee has a very distinct, lovable personality who identifies himself as a unique and elite member of the otherwise incompetant to trivial forces that King Dedede seems to command. While technically first appearing in a sub-game back on the SNES, his big boon started with being one of the biggest faces for the King's Revenge "story" of Super Star Ultra, ended up becoming fully playable in Return to Dreamland, because basically the sole aide to Kirby in Triple Deluxe, and basically became the right-hand man of the clayified puffball in Rainbow Curse. In a series that, besides :4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:, swaps around characters every game with few ever being seen as more than a cameo past 2, it's a significant deal. =/ Series to series comparison, he's more similar to Rosalina than Captain Toad. *grumbles and walks away. Even though it was a joke that you made it's a point too many make seriously.*

TL;DR: Bandana Dee actively aides and fights in a way that sets him apart from the others of his kind and lasts as a character in a series that often drops characters after 1 or 2 games. Captain Toad is repeatedly used as a joke who in fact has less abilities present than that of the normal playable toad in his most major appearance outside of his spin-off, 3D World.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Bandanna Dee has a very distinct, lovable personality who identifies himself as a very unique and elite member of the otherwise incompetant to trivial forces that King Dedede seems to command. While technically first appearing in a sub-game back on the SNES, his big boon started with being one of the biggest faces for the King's Revenge "story" of Super Star Ultra, ended up becoming fully playable in Return to Dreamland, because basically the sole aide to Kirby in Triple Deluxe, and basically became the right-hand man of the clayified puffball in Rainbow Curse. In a series that, besides :4kirby::4dedede::4metaknight:, swaps around characters every game with few ever being seen as more than a cameo past 2, it's a significant deal. =/ Series to series comparison, he's more similar to Rosalina than Captain Toad. *grumbles and walks away. Even though it was a joke that you made it's a point too many make seriously.*
*searches That's the joke picture*

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Or a Super Mario RPG rep.

*Gets eaten by rabid Geno fanboys*
If Marioverse characters are added just to represent their debut game... if we are following this logic about Pokemon generations... then...

:4mario::4dk: represent the Donkey Kong arcade
:4luigi: represents Mario Bros. arcade
:4peach::4bowser: represent Super Mario Bros.
:4larry::4morton::4wendy::4iggy::4roy::4lemmy::4ludwig: represent Super Mario Bros. 3
:4drmario: represents Dr. Mario
:4yoshi: represents Super Mario World
:4wario: represents Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
:4diddy: represents Donkey Kong Country
:4bowserjr: represents Super Mario Sunshine
:rosalina: represents Super Mario Galaxy

Welp! I guess we shouldn't have King K. Rool because we already have Diddy Kong. But we can have Dixie Kong instead since she represents Donkey Kong Country 2. Oh, and we can have Kiddy Kong because he represents Donkey Kong Country 3. And Lanky Kong represents Donkey Kong 64. And we definitely need to have Donkey Kong Jr. to represent Donkey Kong Jr. arcade and Stanley to represent Donkey Kong 3 arcade.

Oh yeah! We also need to have Birdo to represent Super Mario Bros. 2, Daisy to represent Super Mario Land, Baby Mario to represent Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Paper Mario to represent Paper Mario, Professor E. Gadd to represent Luigi's Mansion, Dry Bowser to represent New Super Mario Bros., Lubba to represent Super Mario Galaxy 2, Nabbit to represent New Super Mario Bros. U, and Cat Mario to represent Super Mario 3D World.

No Captain Toad either because we already have Rosalina to represent Super Mario Galaxy. But we can have Wingo to represent Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker instead! Sucks to be a Toad fan!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If Marioverse characters are added just to represent their debut game... if we are following this logic about Pokemon generations... then...

:4mario::4dk: represent the Donkey Kong arcade
:4luigi: represents Mario Bros. arcade
:4peach::4bowser: represent Super Mario Bros.
:4larry::4morton::4wendy::4iggy::4roy::4lemmy::4ludwig: represent Super Mario Bros. 3
:4drmario: represents Dr. Mario
:4yoshi: represents Super Mario World
:4wario: represents Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
:4diddy: represents Donkey Kong Country
:4bowserjr: represents Super Mario Sunshine
:rosalina: represents Super Mario Galaxy

Welp! I guess we shouldn't have King K. Rool because we already have Diddy Kong. But we can have Dixie Kong instead since she represents Donkey Kong Country 2. Oh, and we can have Kiddy Kong because he represents Donkey Kong Country 3. And Lanky Kong represents Donkey Kong 64. And we definitely need to have Donkey Kong Jr. to represent Donkey Kong Jr. arcade and Stanley to represent Donkey Kong 3 arcade.

Oh yeah! We also need to have Birdo to represent Super Mario Bros. 2, Daisy to represent Super Mario Land, Baby Mario to represent Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Paper Mario to represent Paper Mario, Professor E. Gadd to represent Luigi's Mansion, Dry Bowser to represent New Super Mario Bros., Lubba to represent Super Mario Galaxy 2, Nabbit to represent New Super Mario Bros. U, and Cat Mario to represent Super Mario 3D World.

No Captain Toad either because we already have Rosalina to represent Super Mario Galaxy. But we can have Wingo to represent Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker instead! Sucks to be a Toad fan!

Don't forget Yoshi Cookie to represent Yoshi's Cookies, or Lightning Cup to represent Mario Kart!
And the best rep of them all: Mr. Eyeballs for Mario Power Tennis!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
@ Wintropy Wintropy TehEpicRyuga reminded me of something. I put the crouch heal mechanic because Pichu fell asleep as soon as you crouched. but as far as I know Pichu didn't do this when using his down tilt, and I don't think it would make sense to anyway. So both using down tilt and back throw would wake Pichu up, and disrupt your healing. Also, CPUs never did this, but any down arial attack would hit Pichu out of this.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
@ Wintropy Wintropy TehEpicRyuga reminded me of something. I put the crouch heal mechanic because Pichu fell asleep as soon as you crouched. but as far as I know Pichu didn't do this when using his down tilt, and I don't think it would make sense to anyway. So both using down tilt and back throw would wake Pichu up, and disrupt your healing. Also, CPUs never did this, but any down arial attack would hit Pichu out of this.
How about Pichu needs to double crouch to heal? Extra vunerable and takes a bit of extra damage too

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen
Would it be okay if Team Rocket is :052::202: as a team? @pikazz suggested that in the Meowth support thread. This way, you get your 2nd gen rep and I get my Meowth.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen
Would it be okay if Team Rocket is :052::202: as a team? @pikazz suggested that in the Meowth support thread. This way, you get your 2nd gen rep and I get my Meowth.
Don't change your thing to appeal to one person on the net, a friend of mine voted for Chrom and after I ranted how much I hate him, I said "Whatever, it's about what you want, not me"

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
How about Pichu needs to double crouch to heal? Extra vunerable and takes a bit of extra damage too
Double Crouch?
@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen
This is why i'm not in the Meowth support thread. Team Rocket's Meowth = Do not want. However, I do want the regular Meowth, and I do think he should be n the game.
Do we even have an actual Legendary in Smash already?
If not, Xerneas, Suicine, Entei or Lugia would be dang cool.
Ahem... Mewtwo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom