• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Even if characters have a defined role within the game already, this is such a unique event in the Smash World I feel like every character should have their own topic made if the fans want it. Be it Ridley, Skull Kid or Kamek I feel like even hazards and assist trophies should get their chance for hype on the boards.

I mean we already have the Pac Man Ghosts as actual playable moves for Pac Man, they are stage hazards and assist trophies all rolled into one. What ever rules we assign to ourselves should be looked aside for a little while during this voting process.

Then again maybe assist trophies and hazards are back on the character forums and I didn't even realize it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Now everyone is going to name ridiculous characters because of the wording on the ballot. Just say K. Rool you pig-lickers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Shantae would have like two hair attacks, the whip and the crouch. The rest would be magic or transformations or pirate-y stuff. There's still a lot Dixie could do...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Even if characters have a defined role within the game already, this is such a unique event in the Smash World I feel like every character should have their own topic made if the fans want it. Be it Ridley, Skull Kid or Kamek I feel like even hazards and assist trophies should get their chance for hype on the boards.

I mean we already have the Pac Man Ghosts as actual playable moves for Pac Man, they are stage hazards and assist trophies all rolled into one. What ever rules we assign to ourselves should be looked aside for a little while during this voting process.

Then again maybe assist trophies and hazards are back on the character forums and I didn't even realize it.
Since this IS a unique situation, I would argue that if an Assist Trophy got enough support in this poll, I think Sakurai would consider making them playable. AT THE VERY LEAST, if they get enough support in this poll they'd be a top contender for the next Smash game.

Ridley... here's the problem. Sakurai and everyone at Nintendo KNOW Ridley is a popularly requested playable character. They blatantly know it. Ridley isn't happening, end of story. I hate to say it but it just won't happen.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Since this IS a unique situation, I would argue that if an Assist Trophy got enough support in this poll, I think Sakurai would consider making them playable. AT THE VERY LEAST, if they get enough support in this poll they'd be a top contender for the next Smash game.

Ridley... here's the problem. Sakurai and everyone at Nintendo KNOW Ridley is a popularly requested playable character. They blatantly know it. Ridley isn't happening, end of story. I hate to say it but it just won't happen.
Ridley not being in Smash isn't a law of physics. We have 3 characters playable that Sakurai has originally said he couldn't see how they would work and they eventually made it work. Why not encourage people to vote for who they want instead of trying to convince people they will be waisting their vote?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Shantae would have like two hair attacks, the whip and the crouch. The rest would be magic or transformations or pirate-y stuff. There's still a lot Dixie could do...
To be fair, it's not like they have to stick that closely to canon. Like how Mario swipes with his cape rather than doing the little twirl in Mario World.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
...I actually don;t think I hit the spot so...I will have to continue on that one as well....

Because what it means is that THE ONLY reaosn you don;t want him is not even because of the character, but because of his series.

While isn't the roster about the characters?

There;s a reaosn why I ask you these question, but I want to have the answers....
1) The main games that gave the character and series of the same name, which had basically the same core engine and gameplay are a decade + old. Great for being part of a motley selection of scenes for a stage, but I don't know how much the partners would really be looked at for his moveset, which is largely what I find would set him to be a unique fighter.

2) My point was trying to be that the two titles he has received since brawl a) was a platformer with RPG elements in a turn-base RPG series in which you platformed around your enviroments with slight puzzles b) attempted to return to the core formula but gutted some core mechanics for gimmicks which were more disliked than appreciated. With the amount Sm4sh has been focusing on the most recent parts of franchises and even looking a bit into the future, what has been recent for fighters and their series are a big factor. The "hype" of a character whose latter half of a series have been games I can't say I enjoyed seems like a moot point.

3) Yes, that was HEAVY generalizing. But it was comparing characters of an arguably comparable theme. Like :4link: to :4marth:. Both are swordsmen, but Link revolves around an arsenal of various items iconic to his series while his sword is more his staple weapon while Marth revolves around a very patient fencing style of gameplay.

My point was that Paper Mario as a fighter would be a representative, a reflection of Paper Mario the series. I mean this because he is the one staple part of the four games that could reflect in their gameplay. Paper Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are also staples but nothing that they really do is outside of what is in the main series games. Luigi jumps higher up, Peach gets kidnapped a lot and floats with a parasol, and Bowser is big turtle who jumps, butt-slams, and breathes fire (for the most part).

I haven't enjoyed how the series and the character have been used in this last decade. The mechanics that dominated those two games AREN'T the Paper Mario I enjoyed. That time frame would most likely be what is drawn from the most into a fighter.

:4bowserjr: uses the Junior Copter which he has been using since the Wii titles and not the Paint Brush/Shadow Mario identity that he was first made popular by and still uses to a far extent in the spin-off titles. THAT is the best example I can try to make of a newcomer being based on their more recent assets and "identities" instead of what they were arguably most popular or famous as. As Junior still retains his final smash, I'm sure some parts of the original games would be present. HOWEVER, Paper Mario as a fighter, based upon what would be his most recent gamess, wouldn't be the same Paper Mario that I enjoyed. This kind of approach for new assets being the place for changes is abundant in Sm4sh. Just about everything for Kid Icarus is from Uprising, Zelda's Phantom Slash is from a late DS game. Olimar's Winged Pikmin come from a WiiU Title. Kirby, ZSS and Luigi's Final Smashes are from games Wii-Onward.

If people thought Banjo & Kazooie would be getting a moveset (and design) based on Nuts & Bolts, they wouldn't support the characters they loved because their version being represented wouldn't be the same as the ones they became beloved for. I'm not going to say that SPM and Sticker Star are disservice like Nuts & Bolts, but I won't support a Paper Mario that I believe, as a fighter, will be influenced most by those two games. The stage was enough respected service to the series for me as it is.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
There are a number of characters I would love to see make it in as DLC (Dixie Kong, Inkling, etc.), but I can't help but put my full support into K. Rool.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
1) The main games that gave the character and series of the same name, which had basically the same core engine and gameplay are a decade + old. Great for being part of a motley selection of scenes for a stage, but I don't know how much the partners would really be looked at for his moveset, which is largely what I find would set him to be a unique fighter.

2) My point was trying to be that the two titles he has received since brawl a) was a platformer with RPG elements in a turn-base RPG series in which you platformed around your enviroments with slight puzzles b) attempted to return to the core formula but gutted some core mechanics for gimmicks which were more disliked than appreciated. With the amount Sm4sh has been focusing on the most recent parts of franchises and even looking a bit into the future, what has been recent for fighters and their series are a big factor. The "hype" of a character whose latter half of a series have been games I can't say I enjoyed seems like a moot point.

3) Yes, that was HEAVY generalizing. But it was comparing characters of an arguably comparable theme. Like :4link: to :4marth:. Both are swordsmen, but Link revolves around an arsenal of various items iconic to his series while his sword is more his staple weapon while Marth revolves around a very patient fencing style of gameplay.

My point was that Paper Mario as a fighter would be a representative, a reflection of Paper Mario the series. I mean this because he is the one staple part of the four games that could reflect in their gameplay. Paper Luigi, Peach, and Bowser are also staples but nothing that they really do is outside of what is in the main series games. Luigi jumps higher up, Peach gets kidnapped a lot and floats with a parasol, and Bowser is big turtle who jumps, butt-slams, and breathes fire (for the most part).

I haven't enjoyed how the series and the character have been used in this last decade. The mechanics that dominated those two games AREN'T the Paper Mario I enjoyed. That time frame would most likely be what is drawn from the most into a fighter.

:4bowserjr: uses the Junior Copter which he has been using since the Wii titles and not the Paint Brush/Shadow Mario identity that he was first made popular by and still uses to a far extent in the spin-off titles. THAT is the best example I can try to make of a newcomer being based on their more recent assets and "identities" instead of what they were arguably most popular or famous as. As Junior still retains his final smash, I'm sure some parts of the original games would be present. HOWEVER, Paper Mario as a fighter, based upon what would be his most recent gamess, wouldn't be the same Paper Mario that I enjoyed. This kind of approach for new assets being the place for changes is abundant in Sm4sh. Just about everything for Kid Icarus is from Uprising, Zelda's Phantom Slash is from a late DS game. Olimar's Winged Pikmin come from a WiiU Title. Kirby, ZSS and Luigi's Final Smashes are from games Wii-Onward.

If people thought Banjo & Kazooie would be getting a moveset (and design) based on Nuts & Bolts, they wouldn't support the characters they loved because their version being represented wouldn't be the same as the ones they became beloved for. I'm not going to say that SPM and Sticker Star are disservice like Nuts & Bolts, but I won't support a Paper Mario that I believe, as a fighter, will be influenced most by those two games. The stage was enough respected service to the series for me as it is.
1) if you don't know....why you told it? i mean there;s ntohing wrong with using pm64, TTYD and yes, spm in his moveset because let's be honest, most would want that. I just don';t see what's so wrong.

2) I still don;t know why it matters that much. Actually, what your point doesn;t say about spm is how this game is MIXED, not hated as much as sticker star. People like me actually LOVE spm because of the deepness of the story, some hilarious moements and the most preservation of TTYD feel to it. In fact, I will say that (and I know I'm not alone) that I found the flipping genius because it made a really nice bridge between RPG and platformer. However, even with this,you have to tell me why they even refferenced TTYD THAT much, seems to talk less about sticker star after the release of ssb4 (one refference from TTYD and one from pm64 LAST WEEK) and still makes Paper Mario not worthy because of that. That;s like saying that TTYD aged....I don;t think most agreed, but if you still feel it sounds odd, it's more that i think you feel a pattern that don't really exists.

No one said "has to have the most appreciated being the latest". it's just not a patern.

Sticker star however, that is hated and I agtree myself, but remember, brawl refferenced a lot on spm, tiny on TTYD and almost ditcvhed pm64. ssb4 refferenced mostly the whole series. What this means is that the OPPOSIYE of the patterns happens.

Which confuses me more...

3) I...can;t get it. First, the story of TTYD and spm doesn;t even revolve on the classic story, but honestly, you still generalised.

and being a reflection of the paper Mario series....yes, but that's the whole point. i can;t see how is that so wrong if it;s clear to me that the series is just really not the same as the mario one. If it was the same, you find it easy to make him as a clone AND make him feel natural to its series. You can do the former alone easilly, but both at the same time is not only going to make this harder than it should, but I never saw anyone that did that right so far. You're trying more to dig the similarites between both series and altoguh there;s one, if i look at both similarities AND differences, I see that it's more different than similar..

btw, this felt like you were comparing spm to mario only.....take the series to the mario one because I jsut said it was the whole point.

and I;m not sure why I'm repeating this for the last point, but because I was about to say it twice, here's what I think you meant:

You basuically think there;s a sort of a paterns that states that a character MUST have moves from his recent game or should not be in the roster.

Which leads to a question.....who said that?

Btw, fun fact, bowser JR uses the slaphamemr from sticker star as pummel. DO NOT ASK WHY, but I'm just saying (seriosuly, why?)

So, TL;DR, it;s mroe confusing....

Burruni

Smash Hero
So, TL;DR, it;s mroe confusing....
Long and short: There's a precedent, and one that is a general trend and theme across this full game which characters, especially newcomers, will use newest resources the most. One that, if applied to this character, I really don't like the premise/outcome of it. If it was Paper Mario based solely off his resources available come Melee or Brawl, I would be a total supporter. But with how the series has turned and how that would likely affect the way he, as a fighter, would work, this time it is not the case. As a character I'm very indifferent and as a fighter I'm hesitant more than anything.

Edit: With character's, it's become a lot of combined value of my liking of the character plus what moveset I can envision them with. That's why I'm so big for Bandanna Dee, Inklings, and K. Rool now. I just don't see a character I once enjoyed coming out with a moveset I enjoy playing or seeing as a representation of that character with Paper Mario as he and his series are.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Long and short: There's a precedent, and one that is a general trend and theme across this full game which characters, especially newcomers, will use newest resources the most. One that, if applied to this character, I really don't like the premise/outcome of it. If it was Paper Mario based solely off his resources available come Melee or Brawl, I would be a total supporter. But with how the series has turned and how that would likely affect the way he, as a fighter, would work, this time it is not the case. As a character I'm very indifferent and as a fighter I'm hesitant more than anything.
what makes you think so much that recent HAS to iovershadow older stuff?

I mean, I guess, you CAN notice constatation, but it;s not a rule or aomething....

And me being hoplfull on a back to root would actually invalidate this if it turned out to happen (my hope is this E3), but I stil don;t get why it;s that much neccessary NOW.

Burruni

Smash Hero
what makes you think so much that recent HAS to iovershadow older stuff?

I mean, I guess, you CAN notice constatation, but it;s not a rule or aomething....

And me being hoplfull on a back to root would actually invalidate this if it turned out to happen (my hope is this E3), but I stil don;t get why it;s that much neccessary NOW.
I am not saying it HAS to; frequency is not an assurance. But I'm someone planning to only do 2-3 votes in general. If a back to root game was the most recent, yes. My argument would be heavily hindered. My stance is off of what we have to judge by Smash as it is now and any character by the last few games they had a major role in, for any character.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I am not saying it HAS to frequency is not an assurance. But I'm someone planning to only do 2-3 votes in general. If a back to root game was the most recent, yes. My argument would be heavily hindered. My stance is off of what we have to judge by Smash as it is now and any character by the last few games they had a major role in, for any character.
yeah, but considering how crazy broader this game reps stuff....

Would that mean to consider more eras at the same time?

And after reading this, I think I get it, you're basically neutral on him. In fact, the true reason why you didn;t want him was because of the series state.....not himself. The thing is (remove spm because imo, that game is underrated) I pretty mch have to confirm that the series state is indeed on hold. I won;t go over why (you will be bored of how long it would be), but I'm hopefull and very positive that they would go back to root. It seems so far that the issues that lead to sticker star are more of the past than anything.

Still, copnsidering that this games reps a lot more broader (even more true for already repped series), it does mean that there could be more places for pretty mcuh anyone in the similar conditions.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I asked you some question and you didn't answer. You simply restated what I already got.

Let me ask you again:

if you just take the character and remove its metadata (meaning name, series and parent series), would that ALONE make him valid?

Because what it means is that THE ONLY reaosn you don;t want him is not even because of the character, but because of his series.

While isn't the roster about the characters?

There;s a reaosn why I ask you these question, but I want to have the answers....
The character and whatever assumed movesets would be completely valid.

But, seeing as Smash is a crossover game, and there are no original characters who are regularly playable (disregarding, say, the Master Hand glitch, or pretending your Miis are actually the characters they resemble), one cannot ignore series representation when considering additions. A large part of Smash's appeal is that it lets fans of these series go give characters from other series' a solid thrashing. If you strip the game of everything Nintendo/Namco/Sega/Capcom, then there's literally nothing to be debated besides moveset variety, and to nitpick further, without series/name/history, you'd have no source material to derive a moveset from in the first place. So that argument is rather moot. But put simply, if you described a character to me, and all I knew about Smash was how the fights worked (and absolutely nothing about Nintendo otherwise), if he sounded interesting, there'd be no reason not to support them.

I think Paper Mario has a ton of potential to be a fun, unique, and interesting character. And as Paper Mario is my second-favorite Mario game of all time (and we all know Mario RPG isn't happening), I'd love for him to be included. But, and I know this is what I've said and you've heard a million times, I don't think he offers more simply from his moveset than any of a large list of other characters could with both a moveset and increased representational variety. It's not that I'm opposed to him joining the roster, indeed I'd rejoice were it to happen (unlike a lot of other proposed newcomers). But the only way I would vote (respecting Nintendo's suggestion that each person only vote once) for him is if they explicitly required us to vote for a newcomer from the Mario franchise.

So, it's a matter of personal priorities over anything else, for my reasoning. Which I guess kinda doesn't answer your original statement, which was asking for responses from people opposed to his inclusion. But suffice it to say that series variety, especially when considering a character from the most-represented single franchise, trumps all other reasons to include any character.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ridley not being in Smash isn't a law of physics. We have 3 characters playable that Sakurai has originally said he couldn't see how they would work and they eventually made it work. Why not encourage people to vote for who they want instead of trying to convince people they will be waisting their vote?
I'm not telling people not to vote for Ridley. I'm just trying to make sure people realize that, just because the voting is available doesn't mean there's any guarantee they'd get added. The poll will be very useful for Nintendo to determine who people want to see. At the same time, we shouldn't get our expectations out of hand for certain characters.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The character and whatever assumed movesets would be completely valid.

But, seeing as Smash is a crossover game, and there are no original characters who are regularly playable (disregarding, say, the Master Hand glitch, or pretending your Miis are actually the characters they resemble), one cannot ignore series representation when considering additions. A large part of Smash's appeal is that it lets fans of these series go give characters from other series' a solid thrashing. If you strip the game of everything Nintendo/Namco/Sega/Capcom, then there's literally nothing to be debated besides moveset variety, and to nitpick further, without series/name/history, you'd have no source material to derive a moveset from in the first place. So that argument is rather moot. But put simply, if you described a character to me, and all I knew about Smash was how the fights worked (and absolutely nothing about Nintendo otherwise), if he sounded interesting, there'd be no reason not to support them.

I think Paper Mario has a ton of potential to be a fun, unique, and interesting character. And as Paper Mario is my second-favorite Mario game of all time (and we all know Mario RPG isn't happening), I'd love for him to be included. But, and I know this is what I've said and you've heard a million times, I don't think he offers more simply from his moveset than any of a large list of other characters could with both a moveset and increased representational variety. It's not that I'm opposed to him joining the roster, indeed I'd rejoice were it to happen (unlike a lot of other proposed newcomers). But the only way I would vote (respecting Nintendo's suggestion that each person only vote once) for him is if they explicitly required us to vote for a newcomer from the Mario franchise.

So, it's a matter of personal priorities over anything else, for my reasoning. Which I guess kinda doesn't answer your original statement, which was asking for responses from people opposed to his inclusion. But suffice it to say that series variety, especially when considering a character from the most-represented single franchise, trumps all other reasons to include any character.
well, view it in this way.

If I was not thinking Paper Mario differed enough from the mario series, I would never root for him.

Which is why I consider him to be contributing to series variety, it's just not really the mario series enough to consider him JUST mario.

However, I think characters variety shouldn;t be THAT much dependant on the series. I mean, I could if I wanted put G&W and rob in the same greoup as "hardware series", but considering how different they are......it just would not make sense and ANYWAY, they both alone contribute to variety.

Look, if rosalina was added, i';m SURE it was because of the variety in her character, not because of the series.

Which explains why I still never got that infamous argument....but I actually think you said EXACTLY what I wanted to hear: people consider the word "variety" on a different scale.

basically, I'm more of an open guy, for me, to think a character contributes to the variety of the whole roster, it should have a quite distinctive playstyle that makes me feel I'm playing someone that isn;t anyone else on the roster and is so different that it makes playing interesting. Semi clone for me are fine because they are a great balance between more variety and less characters. They of course adds very little variety as they are only derivation, but between that and not having them, I would choose the former.

However, I think you're more closed than me. For you, maybe the series is mroe what defines the variety, but when I look at it, series are simply strings and icons. This is smash, it is an abstraction of what would happen if all these characters was fighting eachother. To prove my abstraction, the simple logo of the smash series is very generic and yet, so much reflecting smash. It's more of an universal experience than anything. what this means is when you look at it, it;s almost like the origins of the characters matters less because smash is more an abstraction....it';s more focused ont he characters.

it takes all these series to form one. That;s the best way I could describe the whole philosophy of smash.

Whether or not you agree to it, that; up to you, but I can now safely say that what you just told is just what I wanted to hear. i think most people actually have that reaosns....which would explain so much.

Basically, i would have to promote his variety in general rather than focusing on why he isn;t just another mario. Cause the real problem is I spent more time trying to disprove that, but the real problem was that people would need to consider variety on a broader scale than series.....which is doable by actually showing the variety.....

Well, I must say, I didn;t expected to get my answers THAT quickly (based on my past experience of this thread....i actually expected to get blasted...).

Thanks!

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I agree. Those three seem to be the most likely.

On Tumblr (harhar, TumblrFamous on Tumblr), people seem to gravitate towards Waluigi, Daisy, and Shantae... odd, but whatevs. I do also notice an occasional King K. Rool which is good to hear.
Oh dear, I was hoping that the same Waluigi vs. Daisy wars from the post wouldn't happen again. Though this is to be expected since both are Mario characters that had been only known for spinoff roles in the franchise. One being an Assist Trophy while the other being two different trophies in Smash.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It really says something when literally every company wants a piece of the action.

Smash is that big.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Would be funny if Sakurai trolled them all and incorporated their characters as Assist Trophies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Would be funny if Sakurai trolled them all and incorporated their characters as Assist Trophies.
I'm sure they'd take that above nothing at all. Look at Rayman.

Y'know, I wouldn't mind that either.

Raijinken

Smash Master
well, view it in this way.

If I was not thinking Paper Mario differed enough from the mario series, I would never root for him.

Which is why I consider him to be contributing to series variety, it's just not really the mario series enough to consider him JUST mario.

However, I think characters variety shouldn;t be THAT much dependant on the series. I mean, I could if I wanted put G&W and rob in the same greoup as "hardware series", but considering how different they are......it just would not make sense and ANYWAY, they both alone contribute to variety.

Look, if rosalina was added, i';m SURE it was because of the variety in her character, not because of the series.

Which explains why I still never got that infamous argument....but I actually think you said EXACTLY what I wanted to hear: people consider the word "variety" on a different scale.

basically, I'm more of an open guy, for me, to think a character contributes to the variety of the whole roster, it should have a quite distinctive playstyle that makes me feel I'm playing someone that isn;t anyone else on the roster and is so different that it makes playing interesting. Semi clone for me are fine because they are a great balance between more variety and less characters. They of course adds very little variety as they are only derivation, but between that and not having them, I would choose the former.

However, I think you're more closed than me. For you, maybe the series is mroe what defines the variety, but when I look at it, series are simply strings and icons. This is smash, it is an abstraction of what would happen if all these characters was fighting eachother. To prove my abstraction, the simple logo of the smash series is very generic and yet, so much reflecting smash. It's more of an universal experience than anything. what this means is when you look at it, it;s almost like the origins of the characters matters less because smash is more an abstraction....it';s more focused ont he characters.

it takes all these series to form one. That;s the best way I could describe the whole philosophy of smash.

Whether or not you agree to it, that; up to you, but I can now safely say that what you just told is just what I wanted to hear. i think most people actually have that reaosns....which would explain so much.

Basically, i would have to promote his variety in general rather than focusing on why he isn;t just another mario. Cause the real problem is I spent more time trying to disprove that, but the real problem was that people would need to consider variety on a broader scale than series.....which is doable by actually showing the variety.....

Well, I must say, I didn;t expected to get my answers THAT quickly (based on my past experience of this thread....i actually expected to get blasted...).

Thanks!
If it helps explain my stance, look at it this way:

If, instead of adding Robin, we instead went 3rd-party and added Kratos Aurion (similar Magic Knight moveset potential) from the Tales series, I'd consider that more variety, and thus a better addition (even despite begging for Robin months before his announcement, and having Fire Emblem as my favorite series ever). If, instead of Lucina, we'd gotten Alucard from Castlevania with the otherwise same moveset, I'd prefer that for the variety.

You mention that Rosalina was added because of character design options, not series. I agree, but all the same I would value her more if she was any other puppeteer character from any other game, instead of yet another Mario character (even moreso since she's from games I've hardly touched and don't honestly plan to).

Call it closed if you wish. I'm one of those people who gets irked when trophy descriptions are inaccurate about their source material. Representing these characters from their source games is about 90% of its charm to me (I don't play any other fighting games, except occasional bouts of Tatsunoko vs Capcom because I like Megaman and Tekkaman Blade). But this reminds me of something someone said on the Project M threads about who should be included via clone engine. With so many movesets to choose from (and indeed, for them, a large degree of creative freedom to make things up), you reach a wider audience by branching into a new series, or fleshing out a less-developed one, than by expanding on an existing one. In an approximation of someone's words, "Adding more Mario characters just puts more icing on their already sweet cake. Adding more Mother or Fire Emblem or F-Zero characters puts some needed icing on the cake. Adding Golden Sun or Advance Wars characters bakes an entirely new cake someone else can enjoy."

Think about how many games, franchises, series' you'd have never played or heard of without Smash. Speaking personally, I'd have never played Earthbound, Starfox, Fire Emblem, Ice Climber, or Kid Icarus, without their representatives appearing in Smash. Heck, many people forget that Captain Falcon isn't from Smash, since it popularized him, and it's been his only representation outside of virtual console for nigh a decade (Mother is in a similar boat). Even with Smash representation, hardly anyone has played Xenoblade, Gyromite, F-Zero, Earthbound (at least pre-Wii U VC release), or Ice Climber.

That sort of feeling is why, when asked who I'd rather add to the game, I'll never answer with a Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon character. And as much as I love it, I wouldn't even answer with a Fire Emblem character now. I want existing Smash fans to be exposed to so many other awesome games, just as I want the fans of these other games to have their interest piqued in Smash. It's because I have a love for the series' Smash is comprised of, moreso than for Smash for its own sake.

And of course, when they do end up adding more Marios and Pokemans and whatnot, I'm glad to use those characters. I hate PKMN Gen 6 and water-types as a whole, but Greninja's fun and adds a lot to the game. I more or less lost interest in the main Mario franchise before I bothered playing Sunshine or Galaxy, but because Rosalina and Bowser Jr are unique and interesting characters, I enjoy using them like I enjoy most any other character. Does it mean I'd have voted for them if I knew they'd turn out completely fresh and unique mechanically? Absolutely not. But since they're here, I appreciate their contributions.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That can be a feasible way of settling the third party issue seeing as theirs a lot of competition between third party characters. One gets in the game as a playable character, one gets a stage from their franchise, and one gets to be an Assist Trophy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Are we almost at the peak? Probably not, but we'll certainly be there soon if by any chance, Level-5 follows up with Professor Layton.

Has anybody checked Platinum or Camelot if they've been following up on any tweets regarding characters like Wonder Red and Isaac?
Ehh, the indies seem to be the only ones actively promoting themselves, the rest just seem to be replies or retweets.
And Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Quote are generally the indies most people care about anyway.

Plus I don't think Camelot even has a twitter.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

Everyone wants a piece.
First, man thats the best Quote model they have ever made. Why wasn't this the Cave story 3d model?

Second, out of all the indies mentioned so far, Quote has the biggest chance.

He is the only one that I can consider "legendary" for starters. Without him, the indie scene might've taken a lot longer to come up.

I don't think I can count how many ports and remakes there are for Nintendo devices.

He has the moveset potential.

Heck, they even posted a model of him. And what have the others done?

Edit: This isn't to say he is likely, but out of all of those indie, I would expect him the most.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ehh, the indies seem to be the only ones actively promoting themselves, the rest just seem to be replies or retweets.
And Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Quote are generally the indies most people care about anyway.

I don't think Camelot would do that anyway. Plus, Nintendo co-owns Golden Sun.

First, man thats the best Quote model they have ever made. Why wasn't this the Cave story 3d model?

He is the only one that I can consider "legendary" for starters. Without him, the indie scene might've taken a lot longer to come up.

I don't think I can count how many ports and remakes there are for Nintendo devices.

Edit: This isn't to say he is likely, but out of all of those indie, I would expect him the most.
I forgot about Quote, yeah. I agree. Quote has the largest appeal of any Indie pick. Thing is, Shantae is older and has existed longer. Technically, she wasn't originally an Indie, she only became an Indie recently. So I don't consider Shantae a true Indie in that sense.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I imagine that's probably true. He is the only one with any Japanese popularity at all.

But I don't think any indies are going to happen.

I forgot about Quote, yeah. I agree. Quote has the largest appeal of any Indie pick. Thing is, Shantae is older and has existed longer. Technically, she wasn't originally an Indie, she only became an Indie recently. So I don't consider Shantae a true Indie in that sense.
Not that much longer though. Like two years.

And she was never owned by Capcom or anything either, so technically she has always been an indie, back then indies just needed help with the publishing and distribution if they wanted to be on consoles.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Ah, okay. Was just wondering in general. But still, any promotion is good promotion for the Ballot, cause even people who aren't interested in such characters can still learn about the Ballot and keep the votes racking up. Makes it all more exciting when it ends and you're wondering what Nintendo now has in store for both DLC and possibly even the Smash 6 roster.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
If it helps explain my stance, look at it this way:

If, instead of adding Robin, we instead went 3rd-party and added Kratos Aurion (similar Magic Knight moveset potential) from the Tales series, I'd consider that more variety, and thus a better addition (even despite begging for Robin months before his announcement, and having Fire Emblem as my favorite series ever). If, instead of Lucina, we'd gotten Alucard from Castlevania with the otherwise same moveset, I'd prefer that for the variety.

You mention that Rosalina was added because of character design options, not series. I agree, but all the same I would value her more if she was any other puppeteer character from any other game, instead of yet another Mario character (even moreso since she's from games I've hardly touched and don't honestly plan to).

Call it closed if you wish. I'm one of those people who gets irked when trophy descriptions are inaccurate about their source material. Representing these characters from their source games is about 90% of its charm to me (I don't play any other fighting games, except occasional bouts of Tatsunoko vs Capcom because I like Megaman and Tekkaman Blade). But this reminds me of something someone said on the Project M threads about who should be included via clone engine. With so many movesets to choose from (and indeed, for them, a large degree of creative freedom to make things up), you reach a wider audience by branching into a new series, or fleshing out a less-developed one, than by expanding on an existing one. In an approximation of someone's words, "Adding more Mario characters just puts more icing on their already sweet cake. Adding more Mother or Fire Emblem or F-Zero characters puts some needed icing on the cake. Adding Golden Sun or Advance Wars characters bakes an entirely new cake someone else can enjoy."

Think about how many games, franchises, series' you'd have never played or heard of without Smash. Speaking personally, I'd have never played Earthbound, Starfox, Fire Emblem, Ice Climber, or Kid Icarus, without their representatives appearing in Smash. Heck, many people forget that Captain Falcon isn't from Smash, since it popularized him, and it's been his only representation outside of virtual console for nigh a decade (Mother is in a similar boat). Even with Smash representation, hardly anyone has played Xenoblade, Gyromite, F-Zero, Earthbound (at least pre-Wii U VC release), or Ice Climber.

That sort of feeling is why, when asked who I'd rather add to the game, I'll never answer with a Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon character. And as much as I love it, I wouldn't even answer with a Fire Emblem character now. I want existing Smash fans to be exposed to so many other awesome games, just as I want the fans of these other games to have their interest piqued in Smash. It's because I have a love for the series' Smash is comprised of, moreso than for Smash for its own sake.

And of course, when they do end up adding more Marios and Pokemans and whatnot, I'm glad to use those characters. I hate PKMN Gen 6 and water-types as a whole, but Greninja's fun and adds a lot to the game. I more or less lost interest in the main Mario franchise before I bothered playing Sunshine or Galaxy, but because Rosalina and Bowser Jr are unique and interesting characters, I enjoy using them like I enjoy most any other character. Does it mean I'd have voted for them if I knew they'd turn out completely fresh and unique mechanically? Absolutely not. But since they're here, I appreciate their contributions.
Well, not only you confirmed my thing on people have different scale of what they consider varied (which pleases me), but you also said one thing I have to say something.

You said you want to make sure smash makes people enjoy the most awesome games with how they make you learn about them in smash.....that`s actually why I even care so much about paper Mario support now....

See, a little bit of a story, i FREAKING LOVED TTYD. I meant in a way I never loved any games before....I wanted always more and that pushed me to limitless love. However, I came to the realisation that the series was underloved, not underrated, people who love the series really love it....but not enough do and that`s because the fans aren`t vocal. I wish this series woudl get its deserved recognition because now, i think it lacks a lot. Sticker star is just not helping, that really made me worried every day.

Which is why I support so much to smash, i want that it gets its love and others would enjoy the awesomeness of the series by actually having fun to use him in smash. More people would play TTYD which for me is a win win situation.

So, now, you kinda get my point: I want the same thing as you want, but i`m hindered by something I shouldn`t. I wouldn`;t even care to support him if his addition wouldn`t even provide that, but now that you mention it, it is the reason I`m still supporting today.

Kinda ironic if you want, but this is why I have been focussing so much on disproving that argument. It just shouldn`t be that much present because it overshadows something that should be looked into before judging.....something I had a very hard time to deal with.

Also, you said you would be happy with a character after you see him.....this is actually the philosophy i had when I supported him before. I tried to more show how he wouldn`t feel like mario at all and just e interesting. It`;s just weird how we have the same philosophy but completely different interpretations :)

But yeah, now, I know that people take variety on a different scale which is really what I wanted to know the most :)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Are we almost at the peak? Probably not, but we'll certainly be there soon if by any chance, Level-5 follows up with Professor Layton.

Has anybody checked Platinum or Camelot if they've been following up on any tweets regarding characters like Wonder Red and Isaac?
Level-5 already gave the OK with Layton, twice now I think. Actually.

Granted it was sometime ago but still. ^^

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I love how the companies are showing support for characters, makes it less of just a fan-thing but something bigger haha!

I'm dying to hear some results of the vote though I guess we have a long wait ahead of us! At least we have some idea through the polls we've had here and other forums. I bet Banjo got a major boost because of that tweet.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Makes me kinda wish my character could get into this too, but they still have a very looong way to go to even become worth adding as a trophy and even that is a pipe dream. Still working on that game of mine. Ah well, better get that sorted first. It's neat to see more Indies getting into this though. Especially the developers of Shantae. :)

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
All this Banjo Kazooie talk and I'm the kid who never got an N64
Ah but back then was the beauty of going over friends houses and playing on their 64! Nowadays kids just sit there staring at their comps trying to trend or make up some "dank meme" its really sad yo.

Thats how i played banjo, it was really fun, hope you discovered it too if not go play it.

OT: wow another indie, whats next square eni-- nah.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom