• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
We are not 2003 anymore
And do we have any reason to believe that anything has changed since then?

Remember, we're talking about a side character who's only appeared in one game (with a small cameo in another game), and hasn't been seen for over a decade. Why would anyone bother to try and acquire the rights of this minor character in the first place?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
And do we have any reason to believe that anything has changed since then?

Remember, we're talking about a side character who's only appeared in one game (with a small cameo in another game), and hasn't been seen for over a decade. Why would anyone bother to try and acquire the rights of this minor character in the first place?
Yeah square Enix reply might mean something also it doesn't matter how old is the character

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's good to see there are still Geno fans, but this argument is getting ridiculous. Both sides are continuing to argue the same moot points. Let people believe what they want to, and agree to disagree.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get a Puzzle & Dragons Z character. I know it's not likely, but hear me out. Puzzle & Dragons Z is a (as of now) Japanese only game for the 3Ds. The fact that it is on the 3Ds means that Nintendo knows they exist. Around Mayish, Puzzle & Dragons Z will be coming out in America. The translated cartridge contains a Mario version of the game. So this means that the creators of Puzzle & Dragons Z and Nintendo are working together. I'm thinking that if this game takes off, we could very well see a Puzzle & Dragons Z character as DLC.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
They're not really moot points if one argument supersedes the other, though.

Again, there is a difference between "hope" and "expectation".

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Nope it's the real one it's Japanese and he only talks Japanese and you can search his account he only follows Nintendo

EDIT: congratulation for the people who liked his post because they probably doesn't have Instagram or didn't even search his name or didn't do some research about him sakurai has Instagram since 2014
Oh the irony.

Yes, I apologize, I did not do my research on this before liking. So I went to instagram, found the Geno post, checked the likes, and guess what? Sakurai hasn't liked the post.

Here's a link to the post in question for those curious, since some people aren't competent enough to post links: https://instagram.com/p/y8qahli46t/

You have to open it up on mobile to check the likes, but Sakurai never liked it.

We are not in 2003 anymore
And nothing has changed since then in regards to Geno.

Unless you have some sort of proof that it has, but I already know that you don't.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And now to end this whole Geno debate once and for all!

Remember that Japanese interview in which Sakurai said the Mewtwo DLC was nearly complete yesterday? It appears that there were other interesting details in the full video that many news reporters had left out in pertaining to Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS. Several things regarding the choices of music were mentioned as well as how Sakurai is aware of the many outlandish Miiverse requests (Goku, SpongeBob, ect.). But the most interesting detail was that Takamaru was initially planned as a contender for this iteration of Smash, but couldn't make the cut due to lack of familiarity with a majority of the Nintendo fanbase.

That's right, the slayer of Murasame Castle was almost a part of the roster before development began considering the lack of hidden files or series icons unlike Rhythm Heaven. I can see why this decision was made since while Nintendo had been pushing the forgotten classic to the Western audience, he still isn't as well known as character like say Duck Hunt pre-Smash reveal. But that still doesn't stop the possibility that he may be reconsidered if he somehow were to receive a new title in between Smash Wii U/3DS and the Nintendo NX title. It was pretty interesting to know about that detail and the fact that Sakurai could see every single crazy request from the Miiverse community.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
And now to end this whole Geno debate once and for all!

Remember that Japanese interview in which Sakurai said the Mewtwo DLC was nearly complete yesterday? It appears that there were other interesting details in the full video that many news reporters had left out in pertaining to Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS. Several things regarding the choices of music were mentioned as well as how Sakurai is aware of the many outlandish Miiverse requests (Goku, SpongeBob, ect.). But the most interesting detail was that Takamaru was initially planned as a contender for this iteration of Smash, but couldn't make the cut due to lack of familiarity with a majority of the Nintendo fanbase.

That's right, the slayer of Murasame Castle was almost a part of the roster before development began considering the lack of hidden files or series icons unlike Rhythm Heaven. I can see why this decision was made since while Nintendo had been pushing the forgotten classic to the Western audience, he still isn't as well known as character like say Duck Hunt pre-Smash reveal. But that still doesn't stop the possibility that he may be reconsidered if he somehow were to receive a new title in between Smash Wii U/3DS and the Nintendo NX title. It was pretty interesting to know about that detail and the fact that Sakurai could see every single crazy request from the Miiverse community.

What are your thoughts on this subject?
My thought is I want another Mysterious Murasame Castle game.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
My thought is that both Murasame Castle and For the Frog the Bell Tolls should get revived. There's probably a reason he chose those two over any other retro character in the AT selection.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That doesn't surprise me. Though that didn't really stop the Ice Climbers when they made their debut. And people might say they at least had an international release, which is true, but they were also added in a time when Nintendo's retro catalogue wasn't nearly as accessible or familiar. However given the direction the newcomers went in this time, I get it.

While it's important for a decent amount of the cast to be recognizable, I think it's also good to throw in some lesser known characters as well. Which did still technically happen, though with no one to the obscurity level of Takamaru.

And if nothing else this puts a huge hole in the "popularity doesn't matter" arguments.

Last edited:
I still think Takamaru has the highest chance of being little mac 2.0
AT to playable and all that

his game got a VC release and he is in Nintendoland. Now he just needs a reboot.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well Sakurai has been saying since... Melee (I think, could've even been 64) that if Takamaru gets another game, he'll be put into Smash. After learning this, I have to believe it only re-affirms Sakurai's now-old statement.

Personally I think they should've just branded Sakura Samurai as a Takamaru offshoot, but wataryagonnado.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Takamaru was once considered THE most likely retro addition to be added. Duck Hunt Dog was more of a 'laughable idea' to most. Look how dead wrong we all where.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Takamaru would've been fine. Nothing much to say about him on my end. Thank god the geno discussion is over now.

Anyway, Mewtwo is almost here. While I don't care for him too much myself, I am interested to see what they do with him.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Takamaru was once considered THE most likely retro addition to be added. Duck Hunt Dog was more of a 'laughable idea' to most. Look how dead wrong we all where.
Of course, that Duck Hunt Dog was laughable. He's a dog who laughs after all! :troll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Takamaru almost made the cut but didn't.

Honestly that could be said about lots of characters. Not that it makes it any less sucky, but there must be a list of at least a few dozen newcomers the roster get narrowed down from.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Meh, I don't feel bad given Duck Hunt was just that, a "laughable idea," to both fans and speculation addicts. I'm just glad they made Duck Hunt actually work/represent a larger selection of games and not make the dog look fugly like those original fan 3D models.

Like Ridley, Takamaru's biggest weakness was always predicted. Now with remixed music (that even made it onto the CN OST), Assist Trophy status, and the game being localized, so now unlike Ridley, Takamaru is pretty much a shoe in next game (next Lttile Mac IMO).

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Pre-brawl speculation I was in the third grade. I supported quite a bit of things my child mind wanted. The ones I remember the most was Sonic, Sora, and Ash Ketchum.

Well...I got one of them at least. :p

I played Sonic a little too much back then. >.>

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd support Geno. He's a neat character from a great game that would be fun to play as in Smash. I just wouldn't pretend he had any kind of shot, or that he deserves to be on the roster.

For Brawl I mainly supported Isaac, Diddy, Krystal, and Bomberman. At least I got one of them. :)

Like Ridley, Takamaru's biggest weakness was always predicted. Now with remixed music (that even made it onto the CN OST), Assist Trophy status, and the game being localized, so now unlike Ridley, Takamaru is pretty much a shoe in next game (next Lttile Mac IMO).
I would disagree. Unless he gets another game Ice Climber support is going to devour demand for the other retros.

I mean Little Mac only was seen as "shoo-in status" after Punch-Out Wii. Having a song and a VC release isn't going to be able to bolster popularity above an original cut veteran; truthfully that stuff doesn't mean a heck of a lot anyway. And having an AT is great, but if Sakurai can cut the second most popular AT'd character, you really never know.

Takamaru was seen as so likely because his main competition got lifted out of the retro category and he had made a few recent appearances. Or at least been recently referenced. Four, five, six years from now who knows if he'll have any recent appearances, any current references? On top of that, the ICs are going to dominate the "retro pool" until they're back in, that's pretty much a given. And going forward I can't imagine Smash will put less favour on recency and promotion. I really don't see his popularity increasing given the circumstances until he actually gets another game of his own.

Last edited:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I would disagree. Unless he gets another game Ice Climber support is going to devour demand for the other retros.

I mean Little Mac only was seen as "shoo-in status" after Punch-Out Wii. Having a song and a VC release isn't going to be able to bolster popularity above an original cut veteran; truthfully that stuff doesn't mean a heck of a lot anyway. And having an AT is great, but if Sakurai can cut the second most popular AT'd character, you really never know.

Takamaru was seen as so likely because his main competition got lifted out of the retro category and he had made a few recent appearances. Or at least been recently referenced. Four, five, six years from now who knows if he'll have any recent appearances, any current references? On top of that, the ICs are going to dominate the "retro pool" until they're back in, that's pretty much a given. And going forward I can't imagine Smash will put less favour on recency and promotion. I really don't see his popularity increasing given the circumstances until he actually gets another game of his own.
Shoe in is probably overstating it admitting-ly. That said, I also don't see Ice Climbers in competition with Takamaru, at least not in the sense that Mewtwo/Roy were speculated to be with their series newcomers.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Shoe in is probably overstating it admitting-ly. That said, I also don't see Ice Climbers in competition with Takamaru, at least not in the sense that Mewtwo/Roy were speculated to be with their series newcomers.
Yeah they may not be, but I still think they're going to absorb a lot of the popularity that would otherwise go towards the other retros. And popularity is apparently quite important for a character like Takamaru.

I suppose ICs could be treated purely as a veteran and not as a retro... though that would be omitting part of the character, however regardless I think we can agree that far and away they will be the most popular retro until they're back in the game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yet another reason why Duck Hunt Dog was obviously the best retro choice for SSB4. :smirk:

I am honestly not surprised Sakurai said this. He said that about Takamaru a long time ago... that he would put Takamaru in Smash if he had a new game. Captain Rainbow doesn't count. Samurai Warriors 3 doesn't count. Nintendo Land doesn't count. Only a new Murasame Castle game counts in Sakurai's eyes. I would consider Takamaru a shoo-in for SSB5 if/when he gets a new game.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Hey @ N3ON N3ON , do you think the lack of Isaac trophy is a good or a bad thing for his chances as DLC? It's really weird because Golden Sun has music in the game.

I want to know because Bandana Dee is in a similar situation, there is no Bandana Dee trophy or a normal Waddle Dee trophy (Parasol Waddle Dee is in the 3DS version, but yeah, it's parasol, not normal) and still Return to Dreamland has some representation with some music, Kirby's Final Smash, the Lor Starcutter and Magolor trophies.

It's really weird.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Considering the lack of Rare bears in Smash, I think I know who's there perfect definition of a shoo-in.

:troll:

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yet another reason why Duck Hunt Dog was obviously the best retro choice for SSB4. :smirk:

I am honestly not surprised Sakurai said this. He said that about Takamaru a long time ago... that he would put Takamaru in Smash if he had a new game. Captain Rainbow doesn't count. Samurai Warriors 3 doesn't count. Nintendo Land doesn't count. Only a new Murasame Castle game counts in Sakurai's eyes. I would consider Takamaru a shoo-in for SSB5 if/when he gets a new game.
Yep duck hunt dog was well known

Takamaru was not.

Makes sense why he failed

Maybe the fire emblem characters made it by only just of ben known enough in both states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom