• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I think if Nintendo had owned Geno around Brawl there's a good chance he would've been playable. The demand for him was insane back then, like, from what I remember, second only to Sonic. Now it's died down quite a lot and probably will never happen, even if Nintendo did own Geno, but 2006-2008 was a different story.
Died a lot because of the rumor that square Enix removed him in brawl and the fake article wich says "sakurai will delay the game each time you asked for geno" but at least he is requested more than captian toad in japan

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Urban Champion talk, eh?

Sounds like he'd play similarly to Cody in Street Fighter. I could definitely get down with that. :3

CRIMINAAAAL UPPAAAAH~!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Even if somehow Nintendo gets the rights to Geno back, I don't understand why anyone thinks an obscure one-off character from twenty years ago from a major established franchise has any chance of being playable. He wasn't even from a main Mario game. Fawful would be a much better character in general, really, and is a more recurring character in the Mario RPG games (specifically Mario & Luigi, where he appeared in all but one of them).
:4greninja:<- how could this character be in a smash bros game as a playable

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No until I see square Enix say "we own the character" in this year

That's not how the industry works.

And for what it's worth, Alphadream owns nothing. The M&L games and all they entail are owned by Nintendo. Alphadream is just the developer.

Died a lot because of the rumor that square Enix removed him in brawl and the fake article wich says "sakurai will delay the game each time you asked for geno" but at least he is requested more than captian toad in japan
That's because Toad has never been requested very much in Japan. They seemingly don't see him as feasible. Outside of Smash he's much more popular than Geno...

And his popularity mainly died because he was a fad. A very popular one, but a fad nonetheless.

Because he's not obscure and won't be one-off? Because he's not from a game twenty years ago? Because promotion? Because he's owned by Nintendo?

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Died a lot because of the fake article wich says "sakurai will delay the game each time you asked for geno"
There is no way popularity could go down because of a fake article.
Evidence. We have easy to understand reasons for Greninja to be in smash due to Sakurai wanting to put in a pokemon character from the new at the time 6th gen games. A main series pokemon game no less.
Edit::4greninja:'ed during :4greninja: talk.

Last edited:
No until I see square Enix say "we own the character" or if Nintendo say "we don't own the character" in this year
that's just plain delusional man. Your evidence is circumstantial as best and neither company has any reason to bring up a very obscure character that no one even seems to want to use (see sports games that square made)
If you are honestly comparing a pokemon, who is even a starter pokemon, to a basically one-off third party character from a spinoff your judgement is severely lacking.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

And for what it's worth, Alphadream owns nothing. The M&L games and all they entail are owned by Nintendo. Alphadream is just the developer.

That's because Toad has never been requested very much in Japan. They seemingly don't see him as feasible. Outside of Smash he's much more popular than Geno...

Because he's not obscure and won't be one-off? Because he's not from a game twenty years ago? Because promotion? Because he's owned by Nintendo?
Your regular logical explanation, courtesy of N3ON~

Didn't know about Toad's popularity, or lack thereof.

I can't really offer much else on this particular topic, alas. Be a bit hypocritical of me to criticise a character for being obscure when I support such barnstorming mega-hits as Tiki and Wonder Red.

Geno Boost

Smash Master

We will see in the future if they realy owns him or not but only time will tell because alphadream doesn't have any problem on using him

You know there are way more important Pokemon than him

Geno Boost

Smash Master
There is no way popularity could go down because of a fake article.

Evidence. We have easy to understand reasons for Greninja to be in smash due to Sakurai wanting to put in a pokemon character from the new at the time 6th gen games. A main series pokemon game no less.
Edit::4greninja:'ed during :4greninja: talk.
It did because a youtuber got more than 14000 views on this article

Troykv

Smash Master
With how old is the character, which is little used, their lack of relevance (is starring in a Mario game ... and it all).

I keep wondering ... Why do people who want to Smash? And be a character out of a game and a cameo could say it belongs to another company. Seriously ... Why?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
We will see in the future if they realy owns him or not but only time will tell because alphadream doesn't have any problem on using him

At the end of Super Star Sega, the only other game Geno (barely) appeared in other then Mario RPG, the credits list that Geno is the property of Square Enix.

This is a backwards "K. Rool is owned by Rare and can't be in Smash" argument, and its just as dumb. Geno is a one off, third party character owned by Square Enix, a company with many more popular and recognizable characters then Geno.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That doesn't mean they own the character. That means they have no problem using him if the opportunity presented itself, like it did with Superstar Saga.

>promotion

It did because a youtuber got more than 14000 views on this article
Do you think that's a lot? For news with the implications you claim it has, it would've gotten a lot more widespread than that. I hadn't even heard of it until this conversation.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
With how old is the character, which is little used, their lack of relevance (is starring in a Mario game ... and it all).

I keep wondering ... Why do people who want to Smash? And be a character out of a game and a cameo could say it belongs to another company. Seriously ... Why?
Because people want what they want, nothing wrong with that, I want characters like Banjo and Kazooie or Ridley, but they'll most likely never happen unless something changes in the future.

The problem is the disconnect between "want" and "chance".

RoseyBetch

Smash Journeyman
I honestly did think about Greninja prior to reveal and thought he was the most likely, as he is one of, if not the most popular 6th gen Pokemon and how he was aesthetically appealing for a fighting game.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I reckoned a Gen 6 Pokémon was a safe bet.

I'd have been shocked if there wasn't one. Amphinobi just seemed like the most likely.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
A gen VI Pokemon was inevitable. Though people doubted one because unlike gen IV or V, VI didn't have a clear mascot like Lucario or Zoroark.

Figures it gets all the attention while the superior gen V gets nothing...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The closest thing gen 6 had to a Lucario/Zoroark type mascot was Mega Mewtwo Y. Greninja was often suggested for a gen 6 Pokemon Trainer type character though if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
I still would have rather had chesnaught
inb4 bowser clones although something marginally similar could have been said about shiek. not really the same though.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The closest thing gen 6 had to a Lucario/Zoroark type mascot was Mega Mewtwo Y. Greninja was often suggested for a gen 6 Pokemon Trainer type character though if I recall correctly.
Pretty much, and even then, there's a strong belief that we wouldn't get a Gen 6 Pokémon due to them having no standouts (XY's release, and from that, Greninja's popularity was believed to have come too late) and the older favorites like Mewtwo (especially with Y being the "Lucario"), Charizard and Lucario forming a strong core in XY's marketing. Ultimately though, we didn't consider a Roy situation with Gen 6, and thus, a Pokémon of Sakurai's choosing from it.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Errr...Are we really going down the Inevitable route again? Hindsight is 20/20 afterall. I can tell you most people actually didn't expect Greninja or any 6th gen rep. I saw people want it, but expect it?

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
No, I definitely, absolutely, unequivocally and totally expected it.

Not Greninja specifically, but a Gen 6 character. I was moreso expecting Kalos Pokémon Trainer (prior to the reveal that transforming characters had been scrapped), but I never thought for a second there wouldn't be a Gen 6 Pokémon.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Yeah, Greninja was the best choice from Gen 6. It had just started, so there weren't mascots yet. Because of this, a starter should have been used. No Chesnaught, Sceptile is a better choice. No Delphox, we already have :charizard:. This left Greninja (ninja are awesome anyway).

Last edited:
Yeah, Greninja was the best choice from Gen 6. It had just started, so there weren't mascots yet. Because of this, a starter should have been used. No Chesnaught, Sceptile is a better choice. No Delphox, we already have :charizard:. This left Greninja (ninja are awesome anyway).
fire fox is totally treading on a dragons territory

giant whatever chesnaught is is definitely in a speedy lizard's territory. sure that must make sense

and I even agree that greninja is the "best" choice but I still disagree with this

but blaziken and captain falcon are totally different in every way

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
fire fox is totally treading on a dragons territory

giant whatever chesnaught is is definitely in a speedy lizard's territory. sure that must make sense

and I even agree that greninja is the "best" choice but I still disagree with this

but blaziken and captain falcon are totally different in every way
I was going by type. Plus, Charizard isn't a dragon.

I was going by type. Plus, Charizard isn't a dragon.
giant fire breathing flying reptile. whatever

and type shouldnt be the pivotal point of picking a character anyway that just limits potential

EX squirtle and greninja are totally unique from each other but the same type
chesnaught and sceptile would be completely different as well as charizard and delphox

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I honestly didn't think we'd get a gen 6 Pokemon. I thought Mewtwo would make up for that, as he was treated in that generation like Lucario and Zoroark were in gen 4 and 5.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
A new Pokemon character was pretty much inevitable as soon as Sakurai was interviewed about his Pokemon criteria. I may have gotten that prediction right, but I picked the wrong Pokemon to bet on, I'm just going to stick with the newest generation Pokemon next time when the next Smash comes.

And chill guys, no need to scare the users here.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
By the way, guys, with all this recent Konami crap, I'd wager that the odds of Snake DLC have sunk down even further. I already thought the chances were slim, and with Kojima apparently being ousted, there's very little chance of any sort of comeback at this point I'd wager. Especially since the only reason Snake in Brawl happened in the first place was because of Kojima.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The dominant and most wide spread idea was Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo. A train of thought you were on @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 . Don't back outta this.

As stated before Geno belongs to Sqaure.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The dominant and most wide spread idea was Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo. A train of thought you were on @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 . Don't back outta this.

As stated before Geno belongs to Sqaure.
Ugh... I disliked that idea... I mean, only the same Pokemon and no newcomers? I was so glad we did get one even if it was Greninja.

I am kinda surprised that people aren't clamoring for SSB4 Pokemon + Squirtle + Ivysaur... I guess the Smash fanbase don't really want any more Pokemon now that they have Mewtwo? At least the Pokemon fanbase got a newcomer.

I wish that we would get two Pokemon newcomers in SSB5... Meowth and the obligatory new gen Pokemon... in addition to the SSB4 Pokemon + Squirtle + Ivysaur (I liked them in Brawl).

Ugh... talking about Pokemon in Smash is so demoralizing for Meowth/Pokemon anime fans... knowing that Meowth will never ever be playable in Smash and the number of Meowth supporters isn't big enough to get Nintendo's attention... nor are they loud enough to get their attention... and the obligatory new gen Pokemon is pretty much a shoo-in even though it doesn't exist right now.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Meowth isn't considered anymore because the Anime is no longer relevant for character choices. I'm not a fan of Meowth but the Scratch Cat Pokémon deserves a chance to be in Smash. He was so close back in the N64 days, and was the only one to be put in smash later. Gen 3, and 5 need a rep too. Hoenn is the most likely for this because of the new remakes. Plussle & Minun would fit this well, or the Pokémon Trainer could obtain Blaziken, Treeko, and Marshtomp. For Gen 5... I dunno. Watch it be Escavelir or something.

On the subject of Geno. He is competing with Black Mage, and Sora. There isn't much of a contest. Anything could happen, but it's not likely. (Watch them put Geno in to spite me)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's kinda like Amaterasu's situation. She is a third party character with awesome moveset potential, but is knee deep in characters more popular than her. Plus Mega Man already took up Capcom's spot so she has zero chance now. But that's no reason to not support her. There's also no reason not to support Geno. (Other than not feeling like it. Everyone has their own opinion.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom