• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux

Can you do one for Toad with this render? The background color can be blue like the Toad amiibo box.

And another one for Captain Toad with this render? The background color can be red like the Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker logo.

The Smash character can be named "Toad" and he can be both Toad and Captain Toad, thanks to alternate costumes.
Toad is long overdue, Captain or not.

I kept the name and background the same for consistency.
Can you do one for Isaac? :D

The background can be yellow and I found his Golden Sun logo
That render is a bit too small, but I'll put him on the to-do list if I can nab one that works.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Looks good @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux thanks!

Do you have a thread where we can view your works and add them to our sigs? I see you did some of my favorite characters in your sig.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Toad is long overdue, Captain or not.

I kept the name and background the same for consistency.

That render is a bit too small, but I'll put him on the to-do list if I can nab one that works.
Ahhh, I know. They made Isaac's Brawl artwork too small compared to other ATs
I mean you can use this one? Even though It's not 3D

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Looks good @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux thanks!

Do you have a thread where we can view your works and add them to our sigs? I see you did some of my favorite characters in your sig.
Not sure if I should make a thread, but I'll upload them all to Imgur together once I finish.

I still have the Fire Emblem crew, Pokemon, Miss Fit, and BJ/Koopalings left.

I forgot to do Wire Frame Mac too, but eh.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's a decent Isaac render to use.

Isaac.jpg

Apologies about the lack of transparency. I can't seem to find that version atm.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Probably not, I mostly only have that one because it's Isaac.

Who did you have in mind?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ice Climbers, Wolf, possibly Pokemon Trainer. I already found a good Lucas.
I don't really have anything you couldn't find by image searching. I run into a good render every now and again, but unless I need it for a roster or it's a character I'm fond of, I don't usually save them.
[collapse=Wolf]
[/collapse]

[collapse=Ice Climbers]

[/collapse]

Where did you get that picture? First, Isaac, like, never smiles in Brawl and it's way more high definition than his in-game model :O
It was posted by somebody on here a while ago, can't remember who.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I had this a long time ago, I remember there was also some of other characters, but I can't seem to find them either.

Do you have any of the cut characters?
This might sound crazy - but could you make a Support Card for Roy?:roymelee: Even if I'm the only one who'll ever use it?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Mr @ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux
Is it possible to get hold of these guys: :lucas::wolf::popo::mewtwopm::4falcon::4ness::4falco::4ganondorf::4shulk::4tlink::4villager::4pacman:
In the same style as you have Mr Toad here.

I would love to have them in my signature :p
As they look absolutely wonderful.
As I said just mere posts above, I'm still looking for renders of the cut characters.

But I did the current roster.

This might sound crazy - but could you make a Support Card for Roy?:roymelee: Even if I'm the only one who'll ever use it?
As I said, I'm missing proper renders for the cuts.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
As I said just mere posts above, I'm still looking for renders of the cut characters.

But I did the current roster.

As I said, I'm missing proper renders for the cuts.
Oh my apolgies Didn't notice them as I started on page one.
If I could recommend these 4 :mewtwopm::roypm::lucas::wolf:have wonderfull ones from the Smash 3 Project.
:squirtle::ivysaur:are Covered by the @Codex9 build of Project M
And @Shin F. has wonderfull renders of :popo::pichumelee:
Young Link could be done through this one though.

Hope these help :D

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Mewtwo is with the others in the full roster, since he's on the way.

Here's all the cut veterans I've done, I couldn't find a good render of Roy. Also includes other characters. And Ridley.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I already said I forgot Wire (and hoodie) Mac. Too much effort to go back for Alph (sorry Alph fans) and no one uses He Fit.
Wait, you're willing to Wireframe but not He Fit because no one uses He Fit?

But even less people use Wire Mac.... T.T

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Wait, you're willing to Wireframe but not He Fit because no one uses He Fit?

But even less people use Wire Mac.... T.T
It was a joke because I'm not doing any of them any time soon. The Koopalings really killed my drive, man.

Not to mention doing the entire roster in the first place, I was only doing the characters in my sig for myself at first.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Who's Taod?
Also,I think I can work with more with a generic Taod since the group I'm in just pointed out how hard it is to make a real moveset out of Captain Taod than just regular Taod. Honestly,what would his up special be if his backpack stops him from jumping at all?

inb4 you notice I kept saying Taod
He can use a 'minecart' to create a track that goes up.
Not being able to jump does not mean he isn't allowed to move vertically.

I like the cart, because not only is it featured as a important aspect of Captain Toad, it is a huge part of gaming and platform genres. It also is useful enough (a track you create for a certain length) to make up for Captain Toad not having any jump or second jump, and represents the 'environmental altering' from his game.

All great artists use barriers as walls to bounce off of. Sakurai has done this many times, and I think 'Captain' being incapable of jumping is in fact just the thing Toad needs.

Ahh, this whole Jumpman VS Mario debate... I remember when we brought this up on the Leaks thread...
AH, yes.

I remember why I support Jumpman.
-We have more than a few characters who are actually the same person (Sheik and Zelda, Mario's, ZSS and Samus). They are both included because they represent different parts of their characterization, and different parts of the characters abilities.
-The most important aspect of a character being in Smash is translation. Even if both Mario and Jumpman use hammers and jump, the gameplay of each game is very, very different. Jumpman had to navigate the air and vertical maneuvering to avoid being hit at all costs, causing very evasive gameplay. Mario, on the otherhand, is known for being Mr Powerup with a large arsenal to help him conquer his path.

Honestly, only knowing they are the same person makes them seem to be the same person, and if that is enough of a call against a character, let's look at some of the other choices.

Sorry if this is a double post, or for bringing up an old argument; my browser is being strange and I feel passionately about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

random rendum

Smash Journeyman
He can use a 'minecart' to create a track that goes up.
Not being able to jump does not mean he isn't allowed to move vertically.

I like the cart, because not only is it featured as a important aspect of Captain Toad, it is a huge part of gaming and platform genres. It also is useful enough (a track you create for a certain length) to make up for Captain Toad not having any jump or second jump, and represents the 'environmental altering' from his game.

All great artists use barriers as walls to bounce off of. Sakurai has done this many times, and I think 'Captain' being incapable of jumping is in fact just the thing Toad needs.
I think Captain without jumping is a horrendous idea. It'll make everything feel akward so id be pretty angry if he didn't jump JUST because he doesn't in game. I also want and support him but without weird gimmicks like that:ohwell:
EDIT even though I dont like him not jumping I like the minecart recovery

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think Captain without jumping is a horrendous idea. It'll make everything feel akward so id be pretty angry if he didn't jump JUST because he doesn't in game. I also want and support him but without weird gimmicks like that:ohwell:
EDIT even though I dont like him not jumping I like the minecart recovery
The thing with Captain Toad not jumping, is that it is literally the defining factor of his games. The creators have gone on record stating that the worlds of the game were even created as they were, tiny and box like, because of this trait.

I think having a moveset based around this perceived variance is what gives him the best shot at getting in.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Let's have a character that can't use one of the most basic mechanics in Smash Bros.! That will surely be a good and balanced design, right? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
People make way too much of a deal about Captain Toad's inability to jump.

Pit can't fly either, and that doesn't stop him using his wings to double-jump and recover.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Let's have a character that can't use one of the most basic mechanics in Smash Bros.! That will surely be a good and balanced design, right? :rolleyes:
Then when does Zelda ever use Nayru's Love, Din's Fire, or Farore's Wind in a legitimate Zelda title?
People make way too much of a deal about Captain Toad's inability to jump.

Pit can't fly either, and that doesn't stop him using his wings to double-jump and recover.
This is a good point. Sakurai doesn't always stay true to a characters abilities in their original games. It's been clear ever since the N64 when we had Captain Falcon use moves we hardly knew he had.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Then when does Zelda ever use Nayru's Love, Din's Fire, or Farore's Wind in a legitimate Zelda title?

This is a good point. Sakurai doesn't always stay true to a characters abilities in their original games. It's been clear ever since the N64 when we had Captain Falcon use moves we hardly knew he had.
I meant what @ Wintropy Wintropy meant, you see. Just because I said in a overly sarcastic manner, it doesn't invalidate my point.

Your comment on Zelda's moves has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. Zelda has what are called creative liberties, which are a necessity when taking characters to a differently designed game.

Toad not being able to jump is basically having a character who can't use one of the game's universal mechanics (i.e. any character can jump). That is bad design by itself.

One thing is to have characters and mechanics based on their source material. No problem here as long as they work well within Smash Bros.'s environment. Another is to remove an essential mechanic from a character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Are we just forgetting that Olimar couldn't jump in his games either?

Smash tries to faithfully represent most of its characters where it can, but it's not going to come at the expense of an integral part of the game. This is Smash, not Captain Toad.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Are we just forgetting that Olimar couldn't jump in his games either?

Smash tries to faithfully represent most of its characters where it can, but it's not going to come at the expense of an integral part of the game. This is Smash, not Captain Toad.
Actually, Olimar can jump in his own games.

But I do agree that not jumping in his own game should not stop Captain Toad from jumping in Smash.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The excuse they give for why Captain Toad can't jump is that the backpack he wears is so heavy that it weighs him down. For Smash just give the excuse that he packed lightly this time around.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Capt. Toad could have more limted jumps similar to Li'l Mac, I suppose. But not being being able to jump would be foolish.

:231:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Tiny jumps would suit Toad for reasons beyond just Treasure Tracker, of course.

He had paltry jumps in Super Mario Bros 2, but was a speed demon to compensate. His ability to carry heavy loads without a speed decrease, but at the expense of basic aerial mobility, would fit perfectly into Smash. Considering he'd be carrying a backpack full of stuff that he can smack out at will, it'd make even more sense to reference his first big break as a playable character.

I expect toad to have weak jumping ability anyway. SMB2 US and all apparently world U (which I haven't bought yet) have him with weak jumping ability so it makes even more sense for him to have bad jumping ability.

You would think with JUMPman around the toads could learn a thing or two.

EDIT dammit wintropy. . .:4greninja:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom