• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Here's a different discussion, how about Inklings? They represent a brand new, fresh out of the oven, muhrelevant franchise and they have gameplay and gimmicks to pull from that would make them entirely unique within Smash.

Or we could talk about Rayman and Snake. I'm always up for that.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Here's a different discussion, how about Inklings? They represent a brand new, fresh out of the oven, muhrelevant franchise and they have gameplay and gimmicks to pull from that would make them entirely unique within Smash.

Or we could talk about Rayman and Snake. I'm always up for that.
I have the perfect Final Smash for them:

Shadow Mario :troll:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
A lot of the paintbrush based Bowser Jr. movesets can be immediately applied to Inklings. Their character design screams '"stage control".

:231:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I rather not, I base my thinking on all the character decisions (and some of the decisions with content added in the game) and all the interviews about character picking Sakurai has made or talked about. It's rather complicated to explain in words.

There's easy one thing to understand though when it comes to picking characters, it's Sakurai that adds Nintendo All-Stars fighting against each other (Smash Bros's main selling point) that are characters from the most popular franchises (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Mario), characters from games that had significant impact (varies with franchise) to Nintendo's history (R.O.B. the Robot, Duck Hunt, G&W), characters who are from niche but very well polished franchises (Earthbound and Xenoblade.), to retros who bring a unique flavor to Smash Bros gameplay. (Pit and Ice Climbers).

Jumpman, even though he is Mario with a different design, is a justifiable candidate to get in Smash Bros to represent Nintendo's biggest, important arcade game (or arcade days if you would like to call it that :rolleyes:)

Now let's please end the conversation here, I am completely knocked out on Jumpman at this point.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Any character from the Donkey Kong series that does not hail from the Donkey Kong Country lore is a stupid idea imo.

:4mario:- Original protagonist of the Donkey Kong Arcade
:4dk:- Son of the original Donkey Kong, so DK Jr. is already represented (who would be the best option anyway)
:4gaw:- Uses bug sprays to represent Stanley the Bugman, who wouldn't use it in a different way anyway
:75M:- A stage literally from the DK Arcade

I do not see the damn deal. Give me some more Donkey Kong Country stuff, y'know, as its' a series that's actually still running and stuff, and has been the main inspirtation for Donkey Kong content since the beginning?

King K.Rool + Dixie + Cranky and we have it all covered.

Then of course come other awesome options as Rambi, Lanky, Kiddy, Chunky and Brash the mother****ing Bear.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Potions from DK64. Let him shrink his foes temporarily, or even play riskily and grow them larger so that they're a larger target for him to hit (give him a bunch of cane/karate combo moves for his standards to help). Maybe let him inflate foes like balloons so they're airier and easier to launch. He could either throw the potions as projectiles, force-feed foes at close range, or slosh them around, perhaps. Maybe have some general science-esque moves where he creates chain reactions or explosions, too.

It's funny, he always had a ton to work with (at least since DK64), but people only began looking at him as a viable fighter after he borrowed Scrooge McDuck's cane bounce, a move that could've easily been brainstormed up for his D-Air anyway.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
A lot of the paintbrush based Bowser Jr. movesets can be immediately applied to Inklings. Their character design screams '"stage control".

:231:
I am fine with this. I didn't find the paintbrush idea for Bowser Jr. to be that interesting. I love what Sakurai did with Bowser Jr. It is perfect because Bowser Jr. uses the Koopa Clown Car more often than he does with the paintbrush. Also, Bowser Jr. always fights Mario in mechas so the clown car is perfect.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Potions from DK64. Let him shrink his foes temporarily, or even play riskily and grow them larger so that they're a larger target for him to hit (give him a bunch of cane/karate combo moves for his standards to help). Maybe let him inflate foes like balloons so they're airier and easier to launch. He could either throw the potions as projectiles, force-feed foes at close range, or slosh them around, perhaps. Maybe have some general science-esque moves where he creates chain reactions or explosions, too.

It's funny, he always had a ton to work with (at least since DK64), but people only began looking at him as a viable fighter after he borrowed Scrooge McDuck's cane bounce, a move that could've easily been brainstormed up for his D-Air anyway.
How could I forget that he was the one who gave you the potions in DK64? LOL

As for his weight, he could be in the middle between DK and Diddy.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
As a general rule, people promote the heck out of characters with very little moveset potential to offer (Jumpman is a relevant example right now) and shout down characters with tons of potential for poor reasons (Cranky being one, up until Tropical Freeze, as well as Jr. because "his paintbrush is irrelevant and he only fights in mechs now," and heaven forbid he get a mech-based moveset).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You've expressed two different ideals, you want a character that represents the arcade through gameplay, or a famous one.
A. A famous and popular character originating from Donkey Kong. We already have two: :4mario::4dk:

B. A moveset representing Nintendo's arcade games. Mario is not this, and Jumpman is Mario. It has to be someone else.

Pick one.

You really, really need to stop trying to speak for Sakurai.

Actually, it reminds me of all those fake leaks that mentioned "Sakurai was thinking of so and so."
And this is why I pick Option B... that someone else is Pauline.

Also, we have other arcade reps. :4wiremac::4duckhunt:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
And this is why I pick Option B... that someone else is Pauline.

Also, we have other arcade reps. :4wiremac::4duckhunt:
Yeah, I already mentioned the various arcade characters.
:4pacman::4dk::4mario::4luigi::4wiremac::4duckhunt::popo:

Pauline could work if not for her being solidified as just another damsel in distress that doesn't do anything, circa Mario vs DK.

Sheriff is one of the better choices because he's a completely blank slate to work with, just like Duck Hunt was.
Plus he's not just another Mario character for the sake of having another Mario character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4peach: is already, 100%, if not 1000% the "damsel in distress linked to :4mario:"

CAN THIS STUPID DISCUSSION END PLEASE!!?!?!?!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Shouting too OP, please nerf.

What do you want to talk about, the weather?
It was a nice and sunny day today. I like nice and sunny days. I do not like the blasphemy of having a Donkey Kong character that is not King K.Rool or a Kong.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I do not like the blasphemy of having a Donkey Kong character that is not King K.Rool or a Kong.
I just want King K. Rool and Dixie to show up at the same time to shut everyone up.

Also because favorite Kong and one of my favorite antagonists.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Dixie riding K. Rool riding Ridley, featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series & Knuckles.

Now everyone can be happy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Shouting too OP, please nerf.

What do you want to talk about, the weather?
Is there a Nintendo character who can manipulate the weather?

No, not Castform, it doesn't have arms. It is just a floating head with testicles. Someone else...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Vaati could theoretically control the weather...

But Mallow from Super Mario RPG works too... if only people could get off Geno's wooden stick.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Jumpman, even though he is Mario with a different design, is a justifiable candidate to get in Smash Bros to represent Nintendo's biggest, important arcade game (or arcade days if you would like to call it that :rolleyes:)

Now let's please end the conversation here, I am completely knocked out on Jumpman at this point.

This is the greatest thing I've seen for Cranky.

With those guys being the Core 5 for the DK series, it makes me wonder who would the sixth be? Funky? Lanky?

Now if you'd like to talk about the weather, I'm wearing t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops in a 54 degrees temperature :)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I didn't promote, I was only defending Jumpman the whole time when a user here started talking about getting a character from the classic DK. Now back to your discussion.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I actually can't wait for spring to come knocking. It's been cold and icy for most of my winter. We did get snow over here, but hopefully it's the last we ever see of it until later this year.

Oh man, I can't even wait for summer. It'll be nice.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
:4peach: is already, 100%, if not 1000% the "damsel in distress linked to :4mario:"

CAN THIS STUPID DISCUSSION END PLEASE!!?!?!?!
What if Pauline is Peach when Mario's shroom effects wear off :troll:

The girls never come out in games together and the games that they do star in Mario is different.

NSMB/3d mario- Mario has access to power ups, there are many unique creatures and colorful tones.

Donkey Kong-Mario vs dk- Mario's abilities are jumping and a hammer, there's no magic or power ups, he also dies in one hit, and is a more realistic setting.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Some characters will always inherently be similar to others just based on who they are, but I believe every character has the potential to be unique if you're creative enough and try hard enough.

However, given that time is a finite commodity in development, I also believe some characters are worth investing time into to be made unique while others are not.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
See, I'm all for "X character should get in for these reasons", but a lot of what I see is stuff nobody cares about at the end of the day. In Smash speculation, a LOT of people forget that this is still a fighting game. On one hand, it's a party game where friends come together to play. On another hand, it's a highly competitive game where the skills of several players are put to the test. What truly matters in this series is the gameplay, end of story.

I can argue that Inklings should get in because they're new. But nobody cares. They want to know what they can do. How can they use their in-game skills in Smash Bros? Adversely, Jumpman (who I believe is simply Mario. End of story for me), and the ideas presented seems like forcing a character into the game for no reason. Sure, Donkey Kong Arcade is important to Vidya history; nobody is denying that. However, when I'm playing Smash Bros., I want somebody who is fun. I want somebody who is different. To me, "Jumpman" being a separate character seems like it's simply used to "represent" one game. That's a waste. Especially when we have Mario, Donkey Kong, 75m, the hammer item...not every game needs to be represented by a character. I can understand the passion for wanting a character. But regardless of how important Donkey Kong Arcade is, it doesn't need its own character when it technically already has the protagonist and antagonist, a stage, and item from it.

Onto Inklings. They're perfect. Pretty much everything about them is awesome. I've posted ideas for them in the past. I view them as a spacing/stage control character, shooting ink all over the stage which can damage opponents, or if characters run over it, it makes them slip.

Because of the different classes in Splatoon, the different weapons can be different custom moves, and change the way the character must be played. Using assault class weapons can work better for overwhelming the opponent, whereas a sniper ink gun can be used for spacing/projectile attacks. Rocket Ink guns can be stronger but slower, and promote a risk reward type play. However, the core gameplay with the rest of the moveset remains the same; so a spacing/stage control moveset at its core. But the special attacks can be altered for different strategies.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
See, I'm all for "X character should get in for these reasons", but a lot of what I see is stuff nobody cares about at the end of the day. In Smash speculation, a LOT of people forget that this is still a fighting game. On one hand, it's a party game where friends come together to play. On another hand, it's a highly competitive game where the skills of several players are put to the test. What truly matters in this series is the gameplay, end of story.

I can argue that Inklings should get in because they're new. But nobody cares. They want to know what they can do. How can they use their in-game skills in Smash Bros? Adversely, Jumpman (who I believe is simply Mario. End of story for me), and the ideas presented seems like forcing a character into the game for no reason. Sure, Donkey Kong Arcade is important to Vidya history; nobody is denying that. However, when I'm playing Smash Bros., I want somebody who is fun. I want somebody who is different. To me, "Jumpman" being a separate character seems like it's simply used to "represent" one game. That's a waste. Especially when we have Mario, Donkey Kong, 75m, the hammer item...not every game needs to be represented by a character. I can understand the passion for wanting a character. But regardless of how important Donkey Kong Arcade is, it doesn't need its own character when it technically already has the protagonist and antagonist, a stage, and item from it.

Onto Inklings. They're perfect. Pretty much everything about them is awesome. I've posted ideas for them in the past. I view them as a spacing/stage control character, shooting ink all over the stage which can damage opponents, or if characters run over it, it makes them slip.

Because of the different classes in Splatoon, the different weapons can be different custom moves, and change the way the character must be played. Using assault class weapons can work better for overwhelming the opponent, whereas a sniper ink gun can be used for spacing/projectile attacks. Rocket Ink guns can be stronger but slower, and promote a risk reward type play. However, the core gameplay with the rest of the moveset remains the same; so a spacing/stage control moveset at its core. But the special attacks can be altered for different strategies.
A lot of people care more about getting characters than how those characters might necessarily play or what they can do. Those people mostly fit into the first of the two categories you listed, which also happens to be a lot bigger. So many people might forget it's a fighting game (though I think it's more a case of just not knowing about the competitive fanbase instead of forgetting the competitive aspect) because the audience that treats it as the latter of your two examples is neither the one that makes up the majority of the game's audience (it actually makes up a rather small part all things considered) nor one the creators cater to above those who view it simply as a hectic, unorganized party fighter.

I agree with the rest of what you said though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom