• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Didn't say it was insignificant, I said that Wario Land isn't as significant as the DK arcade game to warrant a character spot.

I'm not forcing you to support him. :p
Actually you did.

Whether it was a joke or not, Wario Land isn't a very significant franchise nor did it have a big of an impact as the original DK to fill in for a playable character.
I don't think you understand what significant actually is.
You also told us we didn't know what significant is.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I won't, be sure of it. I'd first want King K.Rool, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Lanky Kong, Kiddy Kong, Chunky Kong, Rambi, Squitter, Krusha and Tutorial Pig before him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Have heard the idea before, and am not a fan, since it validates Wario's current moveset ignoring half of his history. Fix that moveset to feature the sorts of moves a Wario Land Wario would have alongside his current ones, and let an original second character show up if he/she becomes major/supported enough.
Meh. Fans of that WarioWare moveset can keep that moveset. I still want a Wario Land moveset and only Overalls Wario can pull this off.

And at least Overalls Wario is visually different from Wario... unlike Mario and Jumpman.

:4wario::4wario2:
:4mario::4mario:

And really, having Overalls Wario is like having Zero Suit Samus, in my opinion. Both represents two sides of the same character.

:4wario::4wario2:
:4samus::4zss:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I won't, be sure of it. I'd first want King K.Rool, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, Lanky Kong, Kiddy Kong, Chunky Kong, Rambi, Squitter, Krusha and Tutorial Pig before him.
Like no joke.

I want Tutorial Pig as a joke character now. :p

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Are we seriously arguing about Jumpman? Also Known as Mario's blue costume in brawl? Oh boy. What I get is that Jumpman is Mario and Donkey Kong isn't relevant so he can't be in. Um. Knowing Sakuri he would make it work. (Plus Dr. Mario is also Mario so that is a moot point.) There is no way he would be a clone either. The only objection I would have is that there are more recent/frequent characters that would fit the roster.
Honestly, I think the characters that were cut due to time constraints should be DLC. They wouldn't be as hard to make, and it's now or never for them. I really don't want to see what happened to Meowth, Plussle & Minun, Toon Zelda/Toon Shiek, and Dixie Kong happen to these guys. Especially the Rhythm Heaven Rep.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Honestly, I think the characters that were cut due to time constraints should be DLC. They wouldn't be as hard to make, and it's now or never for them. I really don't want to see what happened to Meowth, Plussle & Minun, Toon Zelda/Toon Shiek, and Dixie Kong happen to these guys. Especially the Rhythm Heaven Rep.
Devil's advocate:

Some of those characters were cut for a reason.

Just because I say it's not very significant doesn't mean I think it's insignificant.
Wario Land doesn't have the same impact as DK, but it's still a relatively successful Mario spinoff series.
Hm? Super Mario Bros? That relatively successful Donkey Kong spinoff series?

Nah, silly idea.

Last edited:
Just because I say it's not very significant doesn't mean I think it's insignificant.
Wario Land doesn't have the same impact as DK, but it's still a relatively successful Mario spinoff series.
Okay let me just get a recap here because i'm zoning a bit.

You think we should have (literally) mario a second time because IN YOUR OPINION one game, which I can admit is pretty huge, isn't properly represented.

Even though every part of the game is represented. Mario, DK, the barrels, a stage, and the hammer.

am I correct?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
@ Wintropy Wintropy Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean the characters I listed I don't see why. Meowth would be popular long before people no longer cared about the anime, (As popular as Jigglypuff at least.) and Dixi Kong is still heavily requested. Sure Plussle and Minun were more of a "lets have a new electric rodent every smash like in the Pokémon series" but they still would have been influential. As for Toon Zelda and Toon Shiek: They could stay in as the traditional swappable characters while the original Zelda and Shiek could (and most definitely will) stay separate.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Okay let me just get a recap here because i'm zoning a bit.

You think we should have (literally) mario a second time because IN YOUR OPINION one game, which I can admit is pretty huge, isn't properly represented.
Yes. :4duckhunt:

Even though every part of the game is represented. Mario, DK, the barrels, a stage, and the hammer.

am I correct?[/quote]
Yes. Those can still be used to make Mario a relatively unique character.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
@ Wintropy Wintropy Not sure what you mean by that. If you mean the characters I listed I don't see why. Meowth would be popular long before people no longer cared about the anime, (As popular as Jigglypuff at least.) and Dixi Kong is still heavily requested. Sure Plussle and Minun were more of a "lets have a new electric rodent every smash like in the Pokémon series" but they still would have been influential. As for Toon Zelda and Toon Shiek: They could stay in as the traditional swappable characters while the original Zelda and Shiek could (and most definitely will) stay separate.
Meowth I can see. Dixie Kong is one of the best newcomers out there. Chorus Kids are literally screaming to be in Smash.

But Plusle / Minun and Toon Zelda / Toon Sheik are just being suggested for the sake of being suggested. I struggle to think why they'd be necessary as opposed to a plethora of other characters that could fill a similar role without being shoehorned in their for their own sake.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yes. :4duckhunt:

am I correct?
Yes. Those can still be used to make Mario a relatively unique character.
But why not Pauline? She could do the stuff you want Jumpman to do. At least she's visually different.

We could have gotten another version of Mario who uses Lumas, Star Bits, and gravity since Super Mario Galaxy was a significant game... but we got Rosalina instead.

Last edited:

futilejoyrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
futilejoyrider
3DS FC
1822-1417-1018
Personally, I think that some more Kirby representatives would be great for future Smash games. Bonkers could be a pretty intricate character. Prince Fluff would also be fantastic if he made some more appearances in Kirby games.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Personally, I think that some more Kirby representatives would be great for future Smash games. Bonkers could be a pretty intricate character. Prince Fluff would also be fantastic if he made some more appearances in Kirby games.
Adding Bonkers would be like adding a Goomba or Monoeye as a playable character, and Prince Fluff, as it currently stands, is a minor one-off character.

If Kirby gets a fourth character from here on out, it will most likely be Bandana Dee.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
While I can see Toon Zelda and Toon Shiek being a lesser role as a swappable character, (Young link and the Pokémon Trainer come to mind) I do think Plussle and Minun are kinda disliked due to the fact that people automatically assume they would be clones. What I see for the electric mouse duo is this: Depending on the character that you are playing, Plussle or Minun will stand in the background and cheer their partner on. Over time they will build up rage (simmaler to Lucario's rage mechanic) and when you switch, the Pokémon in the stands will be super charged. The only objections I could see are the fact that you would have to learn how to play them both (although they would probably be semi clones. and pepple who say that obviously haven't played MVC.)
@ Dinoman96 Dinoman96 Goombas and Monoeyes aren't Mini bosses though. However, I can see him being too similar to King Dedede.

Mini boss
dang not even giving your own character the quality of boss. Maybe that doesn't bode well for how important he is too the franchise.

there is a bandana dee joke here but I actually want him so I can't say that
Regardless of being an enemy or a mini-boss, Bonkers isn't important enough to warrant a playable spot.
Hasn't sakurai made Bonkers though? that alone puts him pretty high /s

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
But why not Pauline? She could do the stuff you want Jumpman to do. At least she's visually different.

We could have gotten another version of Mario who uses Lumas, Star Bits, and gravity since Super Mario Galaxy was a significant game... but we got Rosalina instead.
Pauline using hammers and certain items wouldn't mesh all that well. Having it be used by Jumpman is more appropriate IMO since he actually uses some of these in gameplay.

futilejoyrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
futilejoyrider
3DS FC
1822-1417-1018
Adding Bonkers would be like adding a Goomba or Monoeye as a playable character, and Prince Fluff, as it currently stands, is a minor one-off character.

If Kirby gets a fourth character from here on out, it will most likely be Bandana Dee.
I don't think that adding Bonkers would be like adding a Goomba or Monoeye. First of all, that's fairly offensive to Bonker's intellectual integrity and physical prowess. Bonkers is not a common baddie who is can just be stepped on and die. He has a decent amount of health.

Bonkers also has weapons which Goombas and Monoeyes do not. He has his powerful hammer and exploding nuts.

You're sort of right about Prince Fluff although I could see him potentially being in another Kirby game. After that, he would likely be popular enough and have enough depth to be a new Kirby representative.

I love Waddle Dees, as they are adorable, but I don't see how a Bandana Dee could have more depth as a new character than Bonkers and Prince Fluff.

Pauline using hammers and certain items wouldn't mesh all that well. Having it be used by Jumpman is more appropriate IMO since he actually uses some of these in gameplay.
literally every character will use hammers though.

plus you keep saying to use mini-marios, something he doesn't use. Double standards :p
I don't think that adding Bonkers would be like adding a Goomba or Monoeye. First of all, that's fairly offensive to Bonker's intellectual integrity and physical prowess. Bonkers is not a common baddie who is can just be stepped on and die. He has a decent amount of health.

Bonkers also has weapons which Goombas and Monoeyes do not. He has his powerful hammer and exploding nuts.

You're sort of right about Prince Fluff although I could see him potentially being in another Kirby game. After that, he would likely be popular enough and have enough depth to be a new Kirby representative.

I love Waddle Dees, as they are adorable, but I don't see how a Bandana Dee could have more depth as a new character than Bonkers and Prince Fluff.
dee has a spear. bonkers has a hammer (already a weapon in the game btw)
Dee has been playable and was playable in rainbow curse

dee has a much much larger fanbase for a reason

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Everyone uses hammers in Smash. This is irrelevant.

And Pauline could summon Mini Mario toys and they would use hammers.

And what certain items do you have in mind?

futilejoyrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
futilejoyrider
3DS FC
1822-1417-1018
Without exploding nuts (as far as I know), a Bandana Dee would get destroyed in the Bandana Dee-Bonkers matchup. If they both get put in the same game, I'll feel bad for the adorable little guy.

Without exploding nuts (as far as I know), A Bandana Dee would get destroyed in the Bandana Dee-Bonkers matchup. If they both get put in the same game, I'll feel bad for the adorable little guy.
. . .what? I'm pretty sure you can fight bonkers as dee in RTD lol.

we are talking about the bandana dee not A dee with a bandana

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
While I can see Toon Zelda and Toon Shiek being a lesser role as a swappable character, (Young link and the Pokémon Trainer come to mind) I do think Plussle and Minun are kinda disliked due to the fact that people automatically assume they would be clones. What I see for the electric mouse duo is this: Depending on the character that you are playing, Plussle or Minun will stand in the background and cheer their partner on. Over time they will build up rage (simmaler to Lucario's rage mechanic) and when you switch, the Pokémon in the stands will be super charged. The only objections I could see are the fact that you would have to learn how to play them both (although they would probably be semi clones. and pepple who say that obviously haven't played MVC.)
It's not that they'd be clones that turns people off, it's that they don't contribute anything inherently new or exciting. They're basically just palette swaps of Pichu. Again, they'd be fine as costumes or something. But I think it's a bit much to think that that alone makes them unique.

Plus there's the fact that team-up and transforming characters were cut for technical reasons. There's a lot of diversity that you can get without relying on characters that were scrapped for legitimate reasons.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
literally every character will use hammers though.
Everyone uses hammers in Smash. This is irrelevant.
However the hammer is going to be used for some of Jumpman's attacks, and will be fleshed out more than just slamming the hammer recklessly for a short period of time.

I'll be right back with the argument soon, I got some things to take care of.

futilejoyrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
futilejoyrider
3DS FC
1822-1417-1018

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You mean aesthetically? A palette swap of Plussle and Minun for Pikachu would look so weird it's not even funny. Also, technical difficulties is a legitimate reason, but that's no reason to exclude them in a later game. And besides, aesthetics don't even matter. Many people liked Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina even though they were "the same aesthetically". The only reason they stopped liking them was because they were clones. In my opinion, if you give the character something that is unique, and makes sense for that character to be doing it, then it adds something special to the roster. So even though Plussle and Minun are similar to Pikachu in looks, they could still bring something new.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
Are we done with Jumpman? YAY! Let's badger about Roy? YAY!

Roy would be cool to see come back, but I just don't put him over other characters. Heck, I might even put him below Ivysaur and Squirtle.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You mean aesthetically? A palette swap of Plussle and Minun for Pikachu would look so weird it's not even funny. Also, technical difficulties is a legitimate reason, but that's no reason to exclude them in a later game. And besides, aesthetics don't even matter. Many people liked Dark Pit, Dr. Mario, and Lucina even though they were "the same aesthetically". The only reason they stopped liking them was because they were clones. In my opinion, if you give the character something that is unique, and makes sense for that character to be doing it, then it adds something special to the roster. So even though Plussle and Minun are similar to Pikachu in looks, they could still bring something new.
I respect that, but I think I shall have to reiterate the crux of my point.

My point is not that they're inherently dull, it's that there's no real reason why they should be included just for their own sake. What do Plusle and Minun do that no other character can possibly do?

Team-up is (or was) done by the Ice Climbers.

Discharge mechanic is (or was) done by Pichu.

Power increased via damage is done by Lucario.

Cute little rodent with puffy cheeks is done by Pikachu.

Hey, if you want to bring back Pichu as a freebie clone and have them as alts, then by all means, go ahead. But I struggle to justify including two Pokémon that are almost entirely palette swaps of an existing character just for the sake of "diversity".

It's not diverse at all, it's just including two potential characters from a previous game for the sake of including them. And that's why I can't support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom