• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
To be fair, if Yoshi is actually eating them, then he's simply a predator eating prey.

Kirby is a bit more gray there...
He's just really, really hungry.

Also, if Kirby's copy ability is indicative of a naturally evolved ability of a species, then it's not a stretch that he would also be hard wired as a carnivorous being that eats his prey for benefit, in more ways than one... And that's why we don't apply logic to games.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think you mean 'loves'. Loathes is the exact opposite.
Thanks,didn't notice my derp in my skills of typing the right words.

He's just really, really hungry.
Well,his stomach IS a different dimension entirely,so he's always hungry.
Also,the enemies don't die,they're just put into that dimension,floating around in Kirby's stomach black hole.
Then to get the copy ability after devouring them,he goes into his own dimension,touches them,and uses their unique ability and/or talent. So he eats himself,I guess.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Why does Simon Belmont not seem to have much of a following?
I figured after Pit and Mega Man more people would go ahead and try to complete the trio.

He seems like a better fit for Smash than Snake and Bomberman, too.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Captain N is so horrible it's like a work of art. Everyone needs to know about it.
Seriously, if anyone here has never heard of it before, go look it up. It's beautifully terrifying, 100% Nintendo approved, and offers a good reason why Simon will always be a little viable. And it was referenced in NA KI:U copies with a CPU online name.
ALL HAIL THE GAME MASTER.

But yeah, I put Simon on my roster just because of that show. . .

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Why does Simon Belmont not seem to have much of a following?
I figured after Pit and Mega Man more people would go ahead and try to complete the trio.

He seems like a better fit for Smash than Snake and Bomberman, too.
No idea. I absolutely adore Castlevania and want Simon more than any other third party character.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm kind of surprised that Black Mage doesn't appear more often as a third-party character. He's got a pretty solid pedigree behind him and has got plenty of potential, moveset-wise, seems like he'd be a natural choice for Smash.

I'm kind of surprised that Black Mage doesn't appear more often as a third-party character. He's got a pretty solid pedigree behind him and has got plenty of potential, moveset-wise, seems like he'd be a natural choice for Smash.
*cough*geno took all the Square fans *cough*

sorry it's cold down here in the Underworld

also SSF2 made me enjoy the idea of the mage even though I don''t care for final fantasy. Of course he would have to be given that much charm and not be a generic mage. I assume the Smash team can do it.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
*cough*geno took all the Square fans *cough*

sorry it's cold down here in the Underworld
Not to be a jerk buuuut...

Black Mage has been playable in twice as many Super Mario games as Geno.

I know you're just bein' facetious, we still friends~

:3

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Where ever the money is, that's where Wario goes. Good or bad I'd say. Anti-hero/villain maybe?

Edit: Saw this conversation earlier. Decided to express my opinion on the subject.

Last edited:
Not to be a jerk buuuut...

Black Mage has been playable in twice as many Super Mario games as Geno.

I know you're just bein' facetious, we still friends~

:3
*looks it up*
well what do you know. that's pretty cool

even more reason for people cast geno aside like the toy he is :awesome:

no one take this as an insult to geno fans please.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Snake was in Smash and by default is a better fit.
Him being gone doesn't suddenly mean any old Konami character should get in over him now.
There's no need to be defensive of Snake just because he said that Simon Belmont is a better fit for Smash Bros. than him.
I agree that Snake has priority over him, but surely you can agree that a Castlevania character is objectively more justifiable than a Metal Gear Solid character in a Nintendo-based fighter, considering the history of the two franchises?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
There's no need to be defensive of Snake just because he said that Simon Belmont is a better fit for Smash Bros. than him.
I agree that Snake has priority over him, but surely you can agree that a Castlevania character is objectively more justifiable than a Metal Gear Solid character in a Nintendo-based fighter, considering the history of the two franchises?
I believe that third party characters are not Nintendo characters and trying to justify them as such is ludicrous.

As far as third parties go, Snake fit the bill perfectly. He had no business there and that's why it was so great.

You can't tell me that all the Sonic fanboys wanted him because "he's close and important to Nintendo" and not because "I want to beat the ever loving Nintendon't out of Mario with the embodiment of the company that was strictly against Nintendo."

And speaking between the two franchises, Metal Gear is currently the most important for Konami.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
If we really want to stretch third-party reps, Optimus Prime and Megatron were in the same game as Solid Snake and Simon Belmont and have been on Nintendo consoles before (the NES, Wii and Wii U specifically) and TakaraTomy, Konami and Nintendo have all been in contact with one another before (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/DreamMix_TV_World_Fighters)... but that's absolutely stretching to the limit and the most unlikely but possible third-party reps we'll never get. :p

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Captain N is so horrible it's like a work of art. Everyone needs to know about it.
Seriously, if anyone here has never heard of it before, go look it up. It's beautifully terrifying, 100% Nintendo approved, and offers a good reason why Simon will always be a little viable. And it was referenced in NA KI:U copies with a CPU online name.
ALL HAIL THE GAME MASTER.

But yeah, I put Simon on my roster just because of that show. . .
Plus he of course had his own NES game. Sadly you only played as Kevin (Captain N) instead of getting a Mega Man level, a Pit level, a Simon level, a Princess Katrina (?) level, a Game Boy level, and a Duke (Kevin's dog) level.

I wonder if the NES game still had you go up against the cartoon's 3 'bosses', Eggplant Wizard, King Hippo, and Sassy Drag Queen Mother Brain.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I believe that third party characters are not Nintendo characters and trying to justify them as such is ludicrous.
As far as third parties go, Snake fit the bill perfectly. He had no business there and that's why it was so great.
You can't tell me that all the Sonic fanboys wanted him because "he's close and important to Nintendo" and not because "I want to beat the ever loving Nintendon't out of Mario with the embodiment of the company that was strictly against Nintendo."
And speaking between the two franchises, Metal Gear is currently the most important for Konami.
You're ignoring my point completely. The person you're replying to is specifically referring to Simon Belmont being a better fit for Smash Bros. because of his history with Nintendo and because of his connection through Pit and Mega Man in Captain N, both of which I can agree with to an extent.
My opinion on the two characters is that Snake should come back because he is a hell of a lot better of a character than Simon Belmont in terms of moveset, but objectively, if Konami was getting a character in Smash Bros. specifically (and Snake was never included) he is right in thinking that Simon Belmont is a better choice.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Well personally I have a great idea for a Konami rep.

After all, Gradius is a major part of Konami's legacy.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Captain N is already 'in' Smash.

He's actually the shooter for Duck Hunt. :p

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Where ever the money is, that's where Wario goes. Good or bad I'd say. Anti-hero/villain maybe?
Anti-hero, methinks. He's not willfully malicious and he has been known to display altruistic tendencies (albeit usually incidentally to his original mission).

He does seem pretty pissed off when the Golden Diva supposedly kills the black cat in Wario Land 4, and he does team up with the cat to escape the Golden Pyramid when it goes kaput. He's even shown laughing with her when they both get out unharmed.

Hell, he even gets a nice kiss when the cat reverts to her original form as Princess Shokora. Seems like Wario's actually kind of a hero, at least for that brief moment.

He's kind of a **** to Queen Merelda in Shake Dimension, though, so his morality kind of exists whenever it suits him. He's a ****.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You're ignoring my point completely. The person you're replying to is specifically referring to Simon Belmont being a better fit for Smash Bros. because of his history with Nintendo and because of his connection through Pit and Mega Man in Captain N, both of which I can agree with to an extent.
My opinion on the two characters is that Snake should come back because he is a hell of a lot better of a character than Simon Belmont in terms of moveset, but objectively, if Konami was getting a character in Smash Bros. specifically (and Snake was never included) he is right in thinking that Simon Belmont is a better choice.
And you're missing my point. By definition, a third party character is not Nintendo. Justifying one as being "more Nintendo" defeats the purpose. Even Sakurai said that they bring something distinctly not Nintendo, and Snake trumps that.

I don't care if he likes Simon, that's cool.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
And you're missing my point. By definition, a third party character is not Nintendo. Justifying one as being "more Nintendo" defeats the purpose. Even Sakurai said that they bring something distinctly not Nintendo, and Snake trumps that.
Well, that is an opinion. He never even said he liked Simon, he just said he was a better fit. I think he presented it as a question.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
All this Wario talk makes me want a Waluigi standalone game.

Then, Waluigi DLC.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Being in Smash doesn't inherently mean the character is the best fit for Smash.

If that was true people would be requesting other characters akin to Snake instead of the more cartoony, highly exaggerated or realism-challenged choices usually suggested. If people thought Snake was a "perfect fit" they'd be requesting more characters with much looser ties to Nintendo, they'd want more characters in the same vein as him.

If that was true, even after Snake's inclusion there wouldn't be any real demand for another Konami character as there isn't for Sega, Capcom, or Namco; presumably because the general consensus is the "best" character for the job from those respective companies got in. However Bomberman and Simon both sill had notable popularity even after Snake's reveal.

And now that he's gone are we to assume you'd support any character on the basis of having no business being there? Lara Croft? Commander Shepard? Gordon Freeman? Master Chief?

That's also omitting the fact that having close ties to Nintendo does make a character fit better in a Nintendo crossover.

It's the same reason so many people were upset over the third-parties in PSASBR. They were fine characters, but most had no distinctly special ties to the Playstation specifically. That's a game Snake would've been a perfect fit in, much more so than Smash, and that's coming from someone who liked Snake in the game.

D

Deleted member

Anti-hero, methinks. He's not willfully malicious and he has been known to display altruistic tendencies (albeit usually incidentally to his original mission).

He does seem pretty pissed off when the Golden Diva supposedly kills the black cat in Wario Land 4, and he does team up with the cat to escape the Golden Pyramid when it goes kaput. He's even shown laughing with her when they both get out unharmed.

Hell, he even gets a nice kiss when the cat reverts to her original form as Princess Shokora. Seems like Wario's actually kind of a hero, at least for that brief moment.

He's kind of a **** to Queen Merelda in Shake Dimension, though, so his morality kind of exists whenever it suits him. He's a ****.
Simple logic.

"Riches before *******".
Wario's already got the treasure when he teams up with cat-Shokora to escape the pyramid.
Merelda was in his way of the treasure.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Supposedly James Bond was once considered for Smash.

Sakurai must like his spies.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Simple logic.

"Riches before *****es".
Wario's already got the treasure when he teams up with cat-Shokora to escape the pyramid.
Merelda was in his way of the treasure.
Yyyyup.

Point still stands, though: he never goes out of his way to be a jerk to people if they're not in the way of the treasure. The countless pirates, deities, spirits and monsters he smashes into the dirt just happen to be unfortunate enough to fit that criteria.

So, aside from his initial appearances, he's not really a villain at all. Even in the sports games, he's more of a mischievous ne'er-do-well with a bad attitude and wacky sense of humour. He never actually hurts anybody or does anything particularly heinous. Cheating, excessive force, showboating and defacing public property, sure, but it's all in the spirit of the game, y'know?

Anti-hero it is~

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Being in Smash doesn't inherently mean the character is the best fit for Smash.

If that was true people would be requesting other characters akin to Snake instead of the more cartoony, highly exaggerated or realism-challenged choices usually suggested. If people thought Snake was a "perfect fit" they'd be requesting more characters with much looser ties to Nintendo, they'd want more characters in the same vein as him.

If that was true, even after Snake's inclusion there wouldn't be any real demand for another Konami character as there isn't for Sega, Capcom, or Namco; presumably because the general consensus is the "best" character for the job from those respective companies got in. However Bomberman and Simon both sill had notable popularity even after Snake's reveal.

And now that he's gone are we to assume you'd support any character on the basis of having no business being there? Lara Croft? Commander Shepard? Gordon Freeman? Master Chief?

That's also omitting the fact that having close ties to Nintendo does make a character fit better in a Nintendo crossover.

It's the same reason so many people were upset over the third-parties in PSASBR. They were fine characters, but most had no distinctly special ties to the Playstation specifically. That's a game Snake would've been a perfect fit in, much more so than Smash, and that's coming from someone who liked Snake in the game.
I was never speaking for popular opinion, in fact, I said that people try to justify characters as being closer to Nintendo so that they "fit in." I'm speaking purely on technicalities, again, by definition, a third party character is not a Nintendo character. Most people want a character in Smash because they like that character, regardless of if they are Nintendo or not. My only intention was separating third parties as what they are, because treating them like Nintendo characters, again, defeats the purpose.

And now you're just assuming things and putting words in my mouth, I don't care about any of those characters, only Snake.
Had Lara Croft somehow gotten in, would I care about her coming back? Slightly, but I genuinely like Snake and Metal Gear.

I thought the main reason people were upset with third parties in PS-Allstars was because they made up most of the roster, rather than, you know, actual Sony characters. But that's a different game entirely.

Again, I don't care if people like Simon more than Snake, that's their opinion. But saying he should replace him is in bad taste.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yyyyup.

Point still stands, though: he never goes out of his way to be a jerk to people if they're not in the way of the treasure. The countless pirates, deities, spirits and monsters he smashes into the dirt just happen to be unfortunate enough to fit that criteria.

So, aside from his initial appearances, he's not really a villain at all. Even in the sports games, he's more of a mischievous ne'er-do-well with a bad attitude and wacky sense of humour. He never actually hurts anybody or does anything particularly heinous. Cheating, excessive force, showboating and defacing public property, sure, but it's all in the spirit of the game, y'know?

Anti-hero it is~
Waluigi, however, is the root of all evil. Look at the mustache.
It's shaped like a "v". You know, for villain.

Sega still gets plenty of requests. Its just that they are split between tails knuckes shadow and eggman. I know im forgetting someone else. . .

i am surprised there arent a lot of ryu requests for capcom. Sure sakurai basically said no but still. viewtiful joe when

I do agree bomberman would be a better "fit" but i still prefer snake because of how much he stands out.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I was never speaking for popular opinion, in fact, I said that people try to justify characters as being closer to Nintendo so that they "fit in." I'm speaking purely on technicalities, again, by definition, a third party character is not a Nintendo character. Most people want a character in Smash because they like that character, regardless of if they are Nintendo or not. My only intention was separating third parties as what they are, because treating them like Nintendo characters, again, defeats the purpose.
Justify how? Most of the regularly requested third-parties are close to Nintendo: Bomberman, Simon, Professor Layton, Bayonetta, Rayman, Black Mage, Slime, Geno, Travis, etc etc. Certainly much closer than Snake was. Look at Final Fantasy, Cloud is the more popular character in general, more people like him, but Black Mage is the more requested character for Smash, and of the two probably the one who would get in, presumably because he has closer ties.

No one is treating the third-parties as Nintendo characters, but to say some are closer to Nintendo and fit better in a Nintendo crossover than others is a perfectly valid statement.

And now you're just assuming things and putting words in my mouth, I don't care about any of those characters, only Snake.
Had Lara Croft somehow gotten in, would I care about her coming back? Slightly, but I genuinely like Snake and Metal Gear.
But those character I listed have no business being in Smash either, and you said that's why Snake's inclusion was great. It's not putting words in your mouth to apply your reasoning to other applicable characters and assume it still holds true. So... would getting those characters in Smash be great?

Also, I'm not debating whether Snake should come back or not, just whether he was a best fit for Smash of Konami's stable. Or in general really. I do think he should've come back, but I also think he's hardly the best character for the job from his company.

I thought the main reason people were upset with third parties in PS-Allstars was because they made up most of the roster, rather than, you know, actual Sony characters. But that's a different game entirely.
No, the majority of the roster were still Sony characters.

And it's a different game, but it's still the same principle. If PSASBR had included Snake, Cloud, Crash, and one of the questionably-fitting characters, people wouldn't have made a stink about it. And that's the exact reason people haven't made a stink about the third-parties in Smash (well, most people), because the majority of them are fitting for the game.

Again, I don't care if people like Simon more than Snake, that's their opinion. But saying he should replace him is in bad taste.
Bad taste how?

You can't tell me that all the Sonic fanboys wanted him because "he's close and important to Nintendo" and not because "I want to beat the ever loving Nintendon't out of Mario with the embodiment of the company that was strictly against Nintendo.".
Btw that's one of the main reasons why he's close and important to Nintendo.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
But those character I listed have no business being in Smash either, and you said that's why Snake's inclusion was great. It's not putting words in your mouth to apply your reasoning to other applicable characters and assume it still holds true. So... would getting those characters in Smash be great?

Also, I'm not debating whether Snake should come back or not, just whether he was a perfect fit in Smash. I do think he should've come back, but I also think he's hardly the best character for the job from his company.

Bad taste how?

Btw that's one of the main reasons why he's close and important to Nintendo.
Part of the reason. The entire premise of Smash is different universes colliding, and Metal Gear's stark contrast made Snake fit in a roundabout way. Apologies if that came out the wrong way. There's far more to him than that, that none can replicate.

I don't see how Simon is a better fit than Snake when he's from a darker and "even less Nintendo-like" franchise. Sure, there's the "more games on Nintendo consoles" argument, but when Sakurai's own criteria only requires a single game...

Wanting any character outright replaced for another is bad taste.

And if that's the main reason for Sonic being close and important to Nintendo, then yeah, Master Chief fits that bill at least.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Well, I, uh. . .
I wasn't aware I'd touched such a sore spot. :urg:

Really, no character should be cut like that. :urg:

I just don't know how much of a hand Snake could potentially have in future game ratings (which I know is going to get me criticized since of course that isn't a factor), and speaking strictly about non-Smash character relationships, Simon has an edge. They're pretty close in terms of Smash reasonability because Snake's still a veteran, but if there had to be just one. . .:urg:

If that's in bad taste, then I am REALLY sorry. :urg:

If it makes you feel any better, I still put Snake well ahead of Bomberman.:urg:

. . .which is only going to make someone else upset, I'm sure.:urg:

Yeah, I just keep digging this hole deeper. :urg:

I just wondered why Simon wasn't getting attention. . .this explains partially why, but it doesn't explain why Bomberman is so far ahead of him. :urg:

Oh gosh, I never do stop sticking my foot in my mouth. :urg:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, I, uh. . .
I wasn't aware I'd touched such a sore spot. :urg:

Really, no character should be cut like that. :urg:

I just don't know how much of a hand Snake could potentially have in future game ratings (which I know is going to get me criticized since of course that isn't a factor), and speaking strictly about non-Smash character relationships, Simon has an edge. They're pretty close in terms of Smash reasonability because Snake's still a veteran, but if there had to be just one. . .:urg:

If that's in bad taste, then I am REALLY sorry. :urg:

If it makes you feel any better, I still put Snake well ahead of Bomberman.:urg:

. . .which is only going to make someone else upset, I'm sure.:urg:

Yeah, I just keep digging this hole deeper. :urg:

I just wondered why Simon wasn't getting attention. . .this explains partially why, but it doesn't explain why Bomberman is so far ahead of him. :urg:

Oh gosh, I never do stop sticking my foot in my mouth. :urg:
Pretty sure you had nothing to do with this, sweetheart.

These kinds of debates are normal 'round here and happen with or without people broaching the topic in the first instance, nothing to be concerned about. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom