• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hypothetical consideration can sometimes lead to high expectations that the character leading to a large amount of disappointment.
Yes, sometimes. If you lose track of yourself and let your expectations become delusional.

This is not what this is. This is discussing a character that would be interesting because they're interesting.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Inklings are a group of boys and girls, so they'd be they wouldn't they?
Yeah, although the one we see most commonly seems to be the orange girl with the long side hair (I think it's the very one you have in your avatar), I'd probably assume that one would probably be the default inkling with another three girls and four boys in different colours and hair styles. I wouldn't mind seeing one variation of the villain group as part of their alts though if that can work. (kinda forgot their names....)

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, although the one we see most commonly seems to be the orange girl with the long side hair (I think it's the very one you have in your avatar), I'd probably assume that one would probably be the default inkling with another three girls and four boys in different colours and hair styles. I wouldn't mind seeing one variation of the villain group as part of their alts though if that can work. (kinda forgot their names....)
The Octopus Army?

Like this?

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The Octopus Army?

Like this?
Yeah those guys. I think it would probably be pretty neat to have four sets of each team, so four inklings and four members of the octopus army, it would probably make for a pretty fun four on four 8 player team battle match. Do the Octopus Army have at least four variations of their designs? I can't quite recall.... :/

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Yeah those guys. I think it would probably be pretty neat to have four sets of each team, so four inklings and four members of the octopus army, it would probably make for a pretty fun four on four 8 player team battle match. Do the Octopus Army have at least four variations of their designs? I can't quite recall.... :/
As far as I know, that's the only member of the Octopus Army that looks like that.

But it'd be awesome have it be an alt too, even if it's only the red color.
I don't recall seeing any red Inklings anyway.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
As far as I know, that's the only member of the Octopus Army that looks like that.

But it'd be awesome have it be an alt too, even if it's only the red color.
I don't recall seeing any red Inklings anyway.
I see, guess we will probably have to wait for more info on that. It would be great to see it as an alt though like you said, even if it was just one of them as they look pretty cool imo. c:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

My Wishlist for DLC characters and stages separated into 3 packs; a Melee pack (4 characters and 6 stages), a Brawl pack (5 characters and 5 stages), and a New Character pack (7 characters and a good number of stages).

EDIT: Crap, just realized I put Mewtwo in the New Character pack lol. I guess he would be a standalone character since he's going to be the first DLC character in a while.
I know this is a wish list, but really, they would NOT go back and reprogram Lyn, Waluigi, and Ridley to playable characters

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I know this is a wish list, but really, they would NOT go back and reprogram Lyn, Waluigi, and Ridley to playable characters
I don't see why they couldn't, its not like they have any rules telling them they can't nor any major deadlines to figure something out.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
What if someone with the DLC plays with someone without it and that assist trophy comes up?
It won't. See, if that DLC AT character is in play then either two things will happen

1. It will be removed with the presence of the AT character

2. The data for the AT character will merely be swapped by another AT data. like a placeholder

Also, updates and shez

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
What does it matter? Does it shatter the realism of Smash, a place where eight Marios or two different Samuses can fight each other?

If I may be honest here, I find people are overhyping the Inklings considering Splatoon isn't even out yet.

People did the same for Wonder Red before Wonderful 101 came out, and that ended in disappointment.
To be fair, we don't know how exactly DLC will be handled. It could be used largely as a promotional tool.

Though I do agree with you, and even though I'd love to see them, I don't think the Inklings will be playable. This time.

I also don't think the game will bomb though. Not that I expect it to sell like hotcakes... but enough to get a follow-up in the future.

Hypothetical consideration can sometimes lead to high expectations that the character leading to a large amount of disappointment.
You don't say?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Splatoon will do fairly well. I don't think it'll sell like Smash Bros., but it'll probably do better than Wonderful 101.

As for Inkling DLC, I don't see it happening. I also don't see Assist Trophy DLC happening either. That is to say, Assist Trophies being promoted to playable through DLC. If we have insight into it actually happening, sure, we can speculate on it in the future. But I'd say its a slim chance of it happening. They were given an Assist Trophy role for a reason. I'm sure that they took into consideration the possibility of DLC before deciding on Assist Trophies (there's a lot of character DLC potential that's not been utilized, such as Dixie Kong or K. Rool working well as an Assist Trophy: Why not? is the question.)

I entertain the slim possibility of it happening, but I don't think it will. And it has nothing to do with dual roles or anything but the mindset of the developers.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's quite the gap between Smash Bros and W101...
That's why I said that. I kinda see it being right smack in the middle. And when I say Smash Bros. I'm referring to Smash Wii U specifically, since all three are Wii U games. Smash 3DS has sold far more than Wii U.

What, should I have said MK8? I was just going for a very high-selling game and comparing it to a low one, thinking it'd be about average. Perhaps around 700-800k.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
It's more about taking the time to go back in and scrap completed data that's already there, and creating new data as a playable character. That is not easy!
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you? :p

Not saying it would happen, but it takes almost no effort or time to scrap data. And creating new data would take the same amount of time that it would a completely new character, possibly less if they use the already existing assets.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
That's why I said that. I kinda see it being right smack in the middle. And when I say Smash Bros. I'm referring to Smash Wii U specifically, since all three are Wii U games. Smash 3DS has sold far more than Wii U.

What, should I have said MK8? I was just going for a very high-selling game and comparing it to a low one, thinking it'd be about average. Perhaps around 700-800k.
I'm very sorry about this, but everytime I read one of your posts I just see this in my head...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Right smack in the middle would put it over 1.5 mil...

I think anything more than 500k is stretching the realm of realism tbh. And even that's pushing it. I'd put it between 250-400k. For as popular as it seems, it's still a new IP on a console with a horribly small install base of which only triple-A established Nintendo franchises have been able to shift major units. I mean Donkey Kong and the Sonic games haven't even cracked a mil yet, and iirc Pikmin hasn't even reached 500k.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Right smack in the middle would put it over 1.5 mil...

I think anything more than 500k is stretching the realm of realism tbh. And even that's pushing it. I'd put it between 250-400k. For as popular as it seems, it's still a new IP on a console with a horribly small install base of which only triple-A established Nintendo franchises have been able to shift major units. I mean Donkey Kong and the Sonic games haven't even cracked a mil yet, and iirc Pikmin hasn't even reached 500k.

I'd love to be proven wrong though.
I must not have the latest sales numbers then. Or my calculations were off.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you? :p

Not saying it would happen, but it takes almost no effort or time to scrap data. And creating new data would take the same amount of time that it would a completely new character, possibly less if they use the already existing assets.
Yeah? Well then by all means, they should work on some ATs to be playable characters!:p
..not really. I now think that it's something that they wouldn't do and too much of a long shot. Something outta left field

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If I may be honest here, I find people are overhyping the Inklings considering Splatoon isn't even out yet.

People did the same for Wonder Red before Wonderful 101 came out, and that ended in disappointment.
Unrelated to Smash, it's disappointing how so many people only seem to care about Splatoon and other new IPs in general because "new reps for Smash," not because the games look promising as actual games. It wasn't this way with Pikmin or Animal Crossing back in the Melee days, before Smash became the all-consuming behemoth it is now.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Unrelated to Smash, it's disappointing how so many people only seem to care about Splatoon and other new IPs in general because "new reps for Smash," not because the games look promising as actual games. It wasn't this way with Pikmin or Animal Crossing back in the Melee days, before Smash became the all-consuming behemoth it is now.
In a forum about Smash, it's to be expected.

Outside of this place I hear a lot more talk of Splatoon unrelated to what implications it could have in Smash.

Plus people didn't care so much for new IPs in Smash back in the day partly because there were still a lot of big names from existing series yet to be playable.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
In a forum about Smash, it's to be expected.

Outside of this place I hear a lot more talk of Splatoon unrelated to what implications it could have in Smash.

Plus people didn't care so much for new IPs in Smash back in the day partly because there were still a lot of big names from existing series yet to be playable.
There is a lot of truth in this statement. The way we, as hardcore Smash fans, view Nintendo information is far different from your day to day Nintendo fans. Nintendo Directs were make or break for us based off of Smash reveals. We loved that February Direct last year almost entirely because off of Little Mac. Some other forums I visited hated it, mostly because they weren't as invested in that reveal as we were.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I definitely understand the focus on Smash on Smash fan sites. It's just sad to see Smash get bumped up onto a pedestal above all other series it honestly doesn't deserve. It used to be that Smash was a simple spin-off that would incorporate elements from each series, now it's a hulking kingmaker that dominates all other series, dictating what happens within them for the generation in many cases.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
That's kind of what happens when you have an original successful series that integrates all Nintendo fanbases together. Not only do all fanboys come together, but they compete against each other on behalf of "their" character or series. It's in some ways a microcosm of console wars themselves, only on a purely Nintendo level, and with many more factors and contingencies. Not to mention a highly active, highly vocal competitive community. No wonder it's so loud.

Tbh though I don't really see how Smash negatively effects the other series. If anything it brings more minor series into the spotlight. The characters in Smash might show up more frequently in their respective series than otherwise, but if anything it seems like Smash is largely dictated by what happens in a generation rather than the other way around, at least as far as the roster, stages, and trophies are concerned.

Though I will concede that once a series gets in Smash, it gains the connotation that it's somehow a big series of Nintendo's when in many cases: F-Zero, Mother, Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, Pikmin, that isn't the case. And then fans expect games more frequently than they might otherwise, but it doesn't actively hinder the series or anything. It's not like Nintendo pumps out lower quality titles to keep up with demand, they still very much have their "we do things our way, deal with it" mentality.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Like Prince Sable and Bayonetta? :troll:

What's the consensus on Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings? It's been awhile since played the game, but I'm curious.
Since I'm one of the few people here who cannot afford a Wii U right now. I can't comment on it. However the 3DS was kinda tricky for me to use him due to his fighting style being unique. While he was one of my favorite newcomers, I do wish he was a bit easier to control, but that's me

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I wasn't with this idea until giant swords.
Hyrule Warriors really made me like most of the characters and the fighting styles they had in that game. Especially Midna using the Mirror of Twilight as a weapon. Wouldn't mind seeing that in Smash.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Like Prince Sable and Bayonetta? :troll:
I was never really into Bayonetta, I only thought she was possible as DLC because the three 3rd parties we currently have were most likely the only ones that are going to be in the full game.

I was still pretty cautious about Sable's chances only because finding which retro characters will be is a very uncertain matter.
I did get an AT, which is probably the next best thing. Wasn't really that bummed, was rather happy Sable actually made an appearance.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I was never really into Bayonetta, I only thought she was possible as DLC because the three 3rd parties we currently have were most likely the only ones that are going to be in the full game.

I was still pretty cautious about Sable's chances only because finding which retro characters will be is a very uncertain matter.
I did get an AT, which is probably the next best thing. Wasn't really that bummed, was rather happy Sable actually made an appearance.
Let's not forget to mention that your push for Sable gave you BluePikmin day

...now if only BluePikmin and Sable can team up, win the tag team titles, drop them to the next hot team, and go to the main roster, that'll be great

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom