• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Anyone else thinks it's more than likely we'll get more character alts as costumes for DLC maybe before any character? Character alts hardly should take as much time as programming a full moveset. I think a :younglinkmelee: alt for :4tlink: for example seems pretty likely for example. They could give us Demise to for :4ganondorf:, and even Impa for :4sheik: (I'd take that over nothing, easily). Other Pikmin 3 protagonists and Louie could join :4olimar: and :4alph: to. Galaxia Knight for :4metaknight:? Other versions of :4megaman:? James McCloud for :4fox:? Different Lords from Fire Emblem for :4marth: or :4lucina: (am thinking Alm, Cecile, Leif, Roy)? :4ness: having Ninten, or God forbid, :lucas: (taking that over nothing as well)? Am sure there's more that could be thought of.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I remember cringing when people talked about how Project Hammer should have the character in Smash. I was like, "damn, at least wait for the game to actually come out first so we can measure its popularity in sales before we can seriously suggest such character".

This is also why I did not want to support the Inklings until after I see the game actually being this close to release and we can actually measure its popularity in sales before I can take it as a serious candidate for Smash. As far as I am concerned, Splatoon CURRENTLY have not earned the esteemed honor of having a playable character in Smash YET. I mean, Pikmin and Animal Crossing didn't have characters in Melee when they first came out... Wii Fit didn't have a character in Brawl when it first came out... they had to earn their keep. Even Duck Hunt's ever-lasting popularity finally paid off after 30 years - Sakurai himself said that Duck Hunt is pretty important to Nintendo since it sold millions back in the day.
Never Forget.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Anyone else thinks it's more than likely we'll get more character alts as costumes for DLC maybe before any character? Character alts hardly should take as much time as programming a full moveset. I think a :younglinkmelee: alt for :4tlink: for example seems pretty likely for example. They could give us Demise to for :4ganondorf:, and even Impa for :4sheik: (I'd take that over nothing, easily). Other Pikmin 3 protagonists and Louie could join :4olimar: and :4alph: to. Galaxia Knight for :4metaknight:? Other versions of :4megaman:? James McCloud for :4fox:? Different Lords from Fire Emblem for :4marth: or :4lucina: (am thinking Alm, Cecile, Leif, Roy)? :4ness: having Ninten, or God forbid, :lucas: (taking that over nothing as well)? Am sure there's more that could be thought of.
I'd love to see these, hypothetically speaking:

:4bowser: Dry Bowser
:4falcon: Blood Falcon
:4ness: Ninten
:4metaknight: Galacta Knight
:4drmario: Dr Luigi
:4villagerf: Tom Nook / Isabelle (I'd accept this over nothing for sure)
:4sheik: Impa (likewise, I'd accept this over nothing)
:4zelda: Hilda

Not expecting any of them, but damn, that'd make me so, so happy.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Project Hammer deserves a rep before the dude from Monado: Beginning of the World. That game will probably never leave Japan.

(Marvel at Shulk's Alpha build face and Fiora's glorious pig tails!)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd love to see these, hypothetically speaking:

:4bowser: Dry Bowser
:4falcon: Blood Falcon
:4ness: Ninten
:4metaknight: Galacta Knight
:4drmario: Dr Luigi
:4villagerf: Tom Nook / Isabelle (I'd accept this over nothing for sure)
:4sheik: Impa (likewise, I'd accept this over nothing)
:4zelda: Hilda

Not expecting any of them, but damn, that'd make me so, so happy.
The ammount of characters that could be added at once would just be enourmous and it's a good way not to overflood the roster with clones. Characters that would be truely unique could be semi clones, for example Wolf, Dixie Kong, Lucas and Impa, others would be alternative costumes. And I'd really like a lot of them. Agree with all you suggested to, except maybe Dr.Luigi as that'd be a better option for Luigi's alternative costume.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The ammount of characters that could be added at once would just be enourmous and it's a good way not to overflood the roster with clones. Characters that would be truely unique could be semi clones, for example Wolf, Dixie Kong, Lucas and Impa, others would be alternative costumes. And I'd really like a lot of them. Agree with all you suggested to, except maybe Dr.Luigi as that'd be a better option for Luigi's alternative costume.
I'm just goin' with Doc Luigi because Doc Mario already has the pills and sheet and stuff.

Doc Luigi is da bess~ :3

D

Deleted member

Wii Fit didn't have a character in Brawl when it first came out...
Wii Fit didn't even exist when Brawl's roster was decided, though.
Not a fair comparison.

Granted, Splatoon likely wasn't in development when Smash 4's roster was being decided either, but Brawl didn't offer the possibility of characters added later through DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
What about Koei? Considering that they got to work alongside Nintendo to make Hyrule Warriors, plus all of the games they've been releasing for Nintendo consoles in recent years, I feel that a Koei rep wouldn't be too much of an impossibility. Personally I would love to see Naomasa Ii make the roster, as it would also help promote Sengoku Musou 4 II (quid pro quo and such). Otherwise it would probably end up being Zhao Yun or Yukimura. Of course this could just be the ramblings of a Koei fanboy.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
What about Koei? Considering that they got to work alongside Nintendo to make Hyrule Warriors, plus all of the games they've been releasing for Nintendo consoles in recent years, I feel that a Koei rep wouldn't be too much of an impossibility. Personally I would love to see Naomasa Ii make the roster, as it would also help promote Sengoku Musou 4 II (quid pro quo and such). Otherwise it would probably end up being Zhao Yun or Yukimura. Of course this could just be the ramblings of a Koei fanboy.
Koei is actually Tecmo-Koei, and if we ever got a Tecmo-Koei rep I know who I would want it to be.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Koei is actually Tecmo-Koei, and if we ever got a Tecmo-Koei rep I know who I would want it to be.

Yes! Koei can have Ryu Hayabusa... and Konami can have Simon Belmont... and then SSB5 would have some of the iconic third-party NES characters. I mean, Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania were both a trilogy and a major part of the NES library.

Also, those damn birds from Ninja Gaiden could be Smash Run enemies. :troll:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Considering why Dr. Mario was made a clone instead of a costume as originally planned, any chances of Lucas being back as a Ness alt already went down the gutter.

Dr. Mario and Mario shared a lot of similarities and Sakurai didn't want to keep them as alts (even more significant now as Dr. Mario retains the old moveset, while Mario keeps FLUDD), so why would Lucas, a character that was already significantly different from Ness, become a mere costume swap and removing all the uniqueness about him such as some drastically different A moves and tether recovery?

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979

This would be pretty kickass too. Considering Ninja Gaiden's history on the NES, I could honestly see this happening. They could even add in his classic blue ninja suit as an alt.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
This would be pretty kickass too. Considering Ninja Gaiden's history on the NES, I could honestly see this happening. They could even add in his classic blue ninja suit as an alt.
Let us remember that the DS had an exclusive Ninja Gaiden title a few years back and that the best version of Ninja Gaiden 3 was exclusive to the Wii U for a while. It's not like modern Ninja Gaiden games don't have representation on Nintendo consoles. Also, although the newer games are very bloody and mature, nothing about Ryu in particular is more violent than any other sword user.... so he wouldn't need to be neutered in the same way Bayonetta is.

Also, wouldn't an homage to this scene right here be the greatest newcomer video ever?

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Considering why Dr. Mario was made a clone instead of a costume as originally planned, any chances of Lucas being back as a Ness alt already went down the gutter.

Dr. Mario and Mario shared a lot of similarities and Sakurai didn't want to separate them (even more significant now as Dr. Mario retains the old moveset, while Mario keeps FLUDD), so why would Lucas, a character that was already significantly different from Ness, become a mere costume swap and removing all the uniqueness about him such as some drastically different A moves and tether recovery?
Don't See Why Characters Like - Lucas, Wolf or Young Link couldn't be separate characters like Lucina, Dark Pit and Doc are.

Have Lucas and Wolf start as "Semi" clones (Lucas and Wolf are not very clone like, so should retain that) and just have the specials given to others as custom moves be their default specials.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Don't See Why Characters Like - Lucas, Wolf or Young Link couldn't be separate characters like Lucina, Dark Pit and Doc are.

Have Lucas and Wolf start as "Semi" clones (Lucas and Wolf are not very clone like, so should retain that) and just have the specials given to others as custom moves be their default specials.
I just realized I had a mis-phrasing, but my point is if Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina were separated over minor differences, so should Lucas be separate from Ness as he had far more differences.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The only notable character I can see becoming an alt through DLC as opposed to their own character is Impa.
Definitely not Lucas. I think Lucas will either be completely brought back or not at all.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The only notable character I can see becoming an alt through DLC as opposed to their own character is Impa.
Definitely not Lucas. I think Lucas will either be completely brought back or not at all.
Ninten? Or is he not notable?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So... What are the chances that Snake will return?

Small.. But Kojima may ask for DLC...

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Outside of Mewtwo, is there any real chance of extra DLC anyway?

What are Sakurai's thoughts?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No idea, we really need to hear Sakurai's reasoning for why he's not in the game to get a better idea of how likely he is as DLC.
I definitely want to hear why Sakurai decided against Snake.
I have a feeling it has something to do with getting that E10+ rating.
Which is a still stupid, but yeah...

Something something Mewtwo sells well something something more DLC.
Just so nobody else has to reiterate.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Does Sakurai realize that he chose perhaps the No. 1 character people would purchase for DLC? XD

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I definitely want to hear why Sakurai decided against Snake.
I have a feeling it has something to do with getting that E10+ rating.
Which is a still stupid, but yeah...

Something something Mewtwo sells well something something more DLC.
Just so nobody else has to reiterate.
I don't think he's said anything new about DLC since mid December 2014, but he keeps saying that he probably won't do the next smash bros game. Though doing more character DLC, mainly adding back cut veterans would be a win win for everyone, the fans get their character, and Sakurai doesn't have to worry about those fans getting mad at him, plus make him less stressed realizing he has a great solution for cut characters, if you can't get them done in time, include them later in an update, if they're veterans, and make them paid if they're newcomers. Also 8 player Lylat cruise only has 2 different backgrounds.:(

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I think Scorpion for Mortal Kombat would fit in nicely.
I like Scorpion and I would play the heck outta that character, but I don't think he'd fit too nicely.

Ryu(Street Fighter) on the other hand would fit in my opinion, but I highly doubt Capcom would get another guest character. DLC or not.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Last time he was asked about it he said there were currently no plans for more, but he stated it could be a good idea and many fans would like to see more characters, though he stated how it could be criticized as holding back content for extra profits.

Basically, he didn't confirm nor did deny the possibility in what was a glorified "no comment" response. He was like "for now, we're doing Mewtwo then we'll see about it".

What's interesting about the Mewtwo offer via Club Nintendo is how players registering the game had a survey that included a question regarding future content... Could it be that they have no plans yet because they're trying to measure fan requests?

The game has a lot of coding and assets that grant full compatibility to all sorts of DLC. The game was designed with DLC in mind.

Does Sakurai realize that he chose perhaps the No. 1 character people would purchase for DLC? XD
He's more aware of fan requests than people give him credit for.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Sakurai hasn't really said much, but I don't think it matters. If Sakurai doesn't want to do DLC but Nintendo wants to do it, they'll just have someone else do the DLC. The system is in place, everything is already in place. Sakurai can just list the characters he wants and leave everything to someone else to finish off whatever content is planned.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think DLC is pretty likely. I imagine support for this game will continue for a good few years to come and we'll see more fresh content to keep us happy and intrigued for a while yet. :3

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Last time he was asked about it he said there were currently no plans for more, but he stated it could be a good idea and many fans would like to see more characters, though he stated how it could be criticized as holding back content for extra profits.

Basically, he didn't confirm nor did deny the possibility in what was a glorified "no comment" response. He was like "for now, we're doing Mewtwo then we'll see about it".

What's interesting about the Mewtwo offer via Club Nintendo is how players registering the game had a survey that included a question regarding future content... Could it be that they have no plans yet because they're trying to measure fan requests?

The game has a lot of coding and assets that grant full compatibility to all sorts of DLC. The game was designed with DLC in mind.

He's more aware of fan requests than people give him credit for.
Yes many have been requesting characters in the Club Nintendo response, the ones I know of are Wolf and Krool, but there are others too.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That doesn't actually change my point.

It's sought out, but its still niche.
Your entire premise was based on sales, which isn't necessarily true given a limit release. The high price of secondary copies shows that demand greatly outpaced supply. Econ 101.

Reps were a very stupid thing, but now we've topped it with reps from other companies. Now Smash can promote every Japanese publisher.

People seem to forget that this is a Nintendo fighting game and what to crap it with whatever floats their boat rather than be focused. We have some of the most iconic characters in video gaming that aren't Nintendo's characters. I don't see why we need to add, well, really anyone else. There is a point when a fun addition feels more like MUGAN. Maybe if there was a character people want like Megaman, I could get behind it. But it's literally "what is the next third party character going to be." Going down that road is a stark decline in the quality of the roster.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Just a reminder, this game might not get much DLC, but we know it is likely ready to receive DLC if Nintendo does plan on going down that path.

Text and icons related to the Eshop and to viewing downloaded stages were discovered when datamining the 3DS version of the game, as well as arrow images for both the stage select and character select screens. Similar text was also recently discovered in the Wii U version.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Your entire premise was based on sales, which isn't necessarily true given a limit release. The high price of secondary copies shows that demand greatly outpaced supply. Econ 101.r.
Yes.

But that doesn't correlate to how mainstream or well known an item is.

At least not reliably enough to know for sure.

There's no way of knowing just how demanded it was.

Only hard fact we can get is how much it did sell.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I just realized I had a mis-phrasing, but my point is if Dr. Mario, Dark Pit and Lucina were separated over minor differences, so should Lucas be separate from Ness as he had far more differences.
I was agreeing with you, so no worries :)

Part of the reason why Doc is his own character was because he was a veteran before.

They already did give some of the cut veterans moves out to other characters - my point was that those moves are already in the game so making a character using those custom moves as defaults could be an easy way to make a veteran character return in some form. They could just simply share the custom unlockable moves (like the Clones in this game) and then retain their original standard attacks.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I was agreeing with you, so no worries :)

Part of the reason why Doc is his own character was because he was a veteran before.

They already did give some of the cut veterans moves out to other characters - my point was that those moves are already in the game so making a character using those custom moves as defaults could be an easy way to make a veteran character return in some form. They could just simply share the custom unlockable moves (like the Clones in this game) and then retain their original standard attacks.
Of course.

Plus, there are some characters that have custom moves similar to other characters' default moves. For example, Luigi can have Mario's Fireballs.

Lucas could have default PK Freeze working like in Brawl, have a new variation and Ness's variation of the move. Wolf could have Wolf Flash as a default, while having Fox Illusion as one of the customs along with an entirely new variation that neither Fox or Falco have.

In fact, I believe that some of Wolf and Lucas's special moves made their way into Fox and Ness's customs is due to the fact they were planned, but were scrapped, leaving some of their already done moves as custom specials for the other characters. It's entirely possible.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The only move that Ness has that operates exactly the same as Lucas is the Lasting PK Thunder.

But like Frosty said, that's completely irrelevant. I'd like it if Lucas actually had Slight variations on Ness' defaults as customs.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
If Lucas is brought back, I think he should be either:

A costume for Ness, or
complete with his own specials and not variants from Ness's specials

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I really don't think it matters whether Lucas has the same variants as Ness's specials or not... because he already have his own unique normal attacks. Yeah, people need to press the A button more often.

I do not want Lucas to be a costume for Ness. I'd rather Lucas stay cut than to have him back as a costume.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom