• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Zelda has plenty of potential to expand on it with massive numbers of abilities, items, and themes that can be explored. Naturally, though, the problem is character consistency. The only real major "recurring" characters have a lot of similarities to each other, or don't have very fleshed out themes.

Zelda really needs more recurring characters to get that added depth. One theme that Zelda could represent well is using instruments, something not really seen in Smash. Again, though, these can't simply be added to existing characters, and choosing a major character spells problems when any characters who fit the theme only appear once or twice. This is just the issue of Zelda not including recurring characters, which is annoying to me. The one non-recurring character in Smash, Sheik, could be replaced by Impa, but Sheik is such a staple its likely hard to part ways with her.

Another problem with Impa is that now she's gotten a separate moveset, its hard for people to realize that in the actual games she doesn't have much depth other than looking like a ninja in her most iconic and popular appearances (Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword).

The closest additional character Zelda could get after Impa is Vaati, but he's only appeared in two side games (one being considered only half a game), and one main game (Minish Cap). I guess that, yeah, there is Tingle, but he kinda fits the support character better. Now that he's been an AT twice I doubt that will change.
I'd like to see some Zelda new comers. Tingle, as much as I dislike him, could be a pretty unique character and Impa could be a decent semi-clone. I would personally love to see Vaati as well, but everyone has their favorite "minor" Zelda villian.

Classic (Pig) Ganon is by far my most wanted Zelda character. It would be super fun to have a massive brute of a heavy weight shooting out fire balls and teleporting all over the map. Plus, we really don't have any Smash characters that represent the classic 2D over head Zelda game, and Ganon would be a perfect fit for that.

None of them are necessary in order to represent what Zelda is though, all you need to showcase that is Zelda, 'Dorf, and Link.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd like to see some Zelda new comers. Tingle, as much as I dislike him, could be a pretty unique character and Impa could be a decent semi-clone. I would personally love to see Vaati as well, but everyone has their favorite "minor" Zelda villian.

Classic (Pig) Ganon is by far my most wanted Zelda character. It would be super fun to have a massive brute of a heavy weight shooting out fire balls and teleporting all over the map. Plus, we really don't have any Smash characters that represent the classic 2D over head Zelda game, and Ganon would be a perfect fit for that.

None of them are necessary in order to represent what Zelda is though, all you need to showcase that is Zelda, 'Dorf, and Link.
I really, really like the idea of representing the Seven Sages, because that's a pretty major recurring mechanic as well. But I can't see that happening unless one or more of the original Sages appear. I mean, yeah, Impa would do that, but she'd be the least original of the bunch and I'm tired of seeing Zelda clones/semiclones.

I always thought that Midna or Ghirahim should be the next LoZ rep. Midna would represent the twilight energy used by a few characters, while Ghirahim would use a variety of skills, like the common teleportation.
They got the exact roles I expected, because like all the other possibilities, they aren't recurring characters. Ghirahim is in a prime spot to potentially become a recurring character, though. He could be brought back and be a secondary villain alongside Ganondorf. I wouldn't object to that happening, either.

Midna's role is incredibly questionable, though. Because of her position and state, it'd be really hard to bring her back in future games.

As for any other character possibilities, any characters not restricted by time could easily appear in other future games. For example, Fi is a time-restricted character. Midna is not restricted by time but the Twilight Realm itself. Other characters can just be argued that they're future descendants who resemble past characters, which happens all the time in the series anyway. They don't "always" have to be major characters.

Until Nintendo starts doing this with more major characters, I don't see the Smash situation changing. Maybe we could get Ganon or Impa. I also don't see them adding Tingle because they've been phasing him out recently and hasn't appeared in any games since 2009, and it took them until DLC to add Tingle to Hyrule Warriors. Plus, Tingle's not really a "major" character. He's a recurring character who plays semi-big roles, and is the only character to get his own franchise, but he's never played major roles in any main games. Even in WW he was only a side character you were arbitrarily forced to go to to spend thousands of rupees which wasn't really necessary to begin with.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't think there are really any Zelda characters that are important enough to warrant a spot in Smash.

Not just because of some personal bias, but outside of Link/Zelda/Ganon(dorf), there's no reoccurring characters besides Impa and Tingle, who are the only ones I could see possibly showing up. As much as I love Midna, she was only in one game (spin offs, aka Hyrule Warriors aside), just like 90% of Zelda characters. The one off villains fall hard to this, everyone was so sure of Skull Kid, and then it was Ghirahim (Zant never got a following, for some reason), but both ended up as assist trophies. By the nature of the Zelda franchise, we will always have new characters, but at the same time we always have the main three, sort of like a twisted version of the Fire Emblem situation. Sheik was an exception, not the rule, but she's also Zelda, who is reoccurring.

Vaati somewhat falls out of the one off villain shtick, but he was a creation of Capcom. Yes, Nintendo owns him, but we have Miyamoto and his babies, so Vaati is like Zelda's Waluigi (except he wasn't even of notice enough to get an assist trophy).

Of course, we could always get beast Ganon like we got Toon Link...

Though personally, I don't want any Zelda newcomers until Ganondorf gets fixed. Damnit Sakurai.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Of course, we could always get beast Ganon like we got Toon Link...
I need it. No other possible new comer has fire bats and a trident. I mean, obviously that's what the game is missing. Mostly the fire bats.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think that with Smash and the newcomers, we need to remember that this is still a fighting game that is looking at what characters can do to add to the game. If a character is pretty much like another one, they will at best get in as a clone at this point.

Also, when considering their unique abilities, how can that be implemented into Smash? What kind of fighter would they be? What strategies will be viable? Uniqueness is great and important, but would they be viable in a tournaments? That last one is something I never thought about until now. Mainly because of Apex lol.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Uniqueness is great and important, but would they be viable in a tournaments? That last one is something I never thought about until now. Mainly because of Apex lol.
That's something that really can't be predicted until the character is actually created and tested.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I need it. No other possible new comer has fire bats and a trident. I mean, obviously that's what the game is missing. Mostly the fire bats.

Gosh I really want to see this version of Ganon as a playable character one day, I don't even care if he's "just another Ganon" to some people, I want to kick butt as the almighty classic trident wielding fire keese throwing blue pig demon king!

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Gosh I really want to see this version of Ganon as a playable character one day, I don't even care if he's "just another Ganon" to some people, I want to kick butt as the almighty classic trident wielding fire keese throwing blue pig demon king!
He would be the best way to rep the classic style Zeldas, and he would be unique in that he is a spear/trident user and a heavyweight mage.

I could easily come up with a move set for him based off of the Link to the Past footage, but if you need something else to draw inspiration from:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The only thing Classic Ganon needs really to be playable is that he actually has a noticeable following who want to see him in Smash, I don't think Sakurai has ever considered the idea of Classic Ganon yet with the inclusion of Ganondorf in Melee.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
That's something that really can't be predicted until the character is actually created and tested.
Fair point. How can I restate it...

Basically, I guess just think of a way that a character can have a "gimmick" or uniqueness that makes sense. Don't just give a character something to give them something. Basically all characters in Smash 4 are unique (except those few) and it's fairly well balanced if I do say so myself. New characters, DLC or otherwise, need to add to that, while bringing something new to the table.

Also, when considering their unique abilities, how can that be implemented into Smash? What kind of fighter would they be? What strategies will be viable? Uniqueness is great and important, but would they be viable in a tournaments? That last one is something I never thought about until now. Mainly because of Apex lol.
This is basically what goes into my head every time I'm interested in a character. Hi Shulk (SSB 4). Hi Nathan Drake (PSABR). Hi Snake (SSBB)... But yeah, the unique abilities of the character better have a good design and implementation. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a mess like Phoenix Wright in UMvC 3

Anyway, forgive me for going off-topic from the purpose of the thread. Carry on

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
We can certainly continue in the character thread, but I'll leave a small note here for now. Rayman is extremely unique in a visual sense, yes, but he is also unique from a gameplay perspective as well. When I said that he could be as unique as the most unique newcomers in Smash 4, I was by no means stretching my words. Remember that some of the more unique characters only became unique because Sakurai put his own spin on them (no one ever would have imagined Rosalina using a Luma, and many people believed that Mega Man would be a Samus clone), while Rayman already inherently has a uniqueness about him, Sakurai's own vision could end up making him more unique than any character, no one knows how Sakurai works, but he does it.
The problem is that Sakurai seems to put his own spin on newcomers when they have some form of importance and/or have nothing to work with for a moveset with the major appearances they had in their games.
:rosalina::4duckhunt::4pacman:
All three of these are examples of this.
Rosalina representing two of the best selling, innovative Mario games during the Wii era, yet not having much to work with when actually looking at the character itself.
Duck Hunt representing one of the best selling NES games of all time, yet he doesn't have much to work with when actually looking at the gameplay of Duck Hunt.
Pac-Man being the biggest icon in gaming, yet not having much to work with when you actually look at the popular arcade game itself.
These are probably the exceptions to the uniqueness rule.
Rayman has something to work with that translates well for playability, but his main abilities are not something that can translate into a new playstyle. Thus he's not comparable to a character who basically has a playstyle given when looking at the main gameplay of their franchise like Olimar and Inkling.

Sakurai never really had a complex uniqueness philosophy, a lot of people (yourself included, though don't take this as an attack) read far too much into what Sakurai says. The only true criteria he ever gave for third parties was that they had to have at least one game on Nintendo consoles, they had to be important enough, and they had to bring something to Smash that a regular Nintendo character wouldn't. So far, Rayman fits all of those criteria. .
I don't go too far really. Third-parties are probably the characters Sakurai relies uniqueness on, Pac-Man being the exception here only because of his extremely iconic status. Although I do agree that third-parties probably have a stricter and easier to understand criteria.

Remember, Sonic does nothing but spin, he's one of the blandest characters on the roster moveset wise, but he still brought something uniquely Sonic and Sega to the roster, which is what I believe Sakurai was referring to in regards to third party uniqueness (Snake being the most unique, as he contrasts Nintendo)
Sonic wasn't part of the uniqueness criteria that Sakurai set up for Smash 4, the main reason he got in was his amount of requests to be playable in Brawl. Neither was Snake, as it was mainly because of personal request.

If you take anything from this, let it be this: As speculators of the Smash community, we often go out of our way to think like Sakurai. Some of us try to go the most obvious route, and some, like you, take the opposite route (and go a little too far, I think) in trying to imagine the most out there characters possible. While we all run around trying to figure out Sakurai, it's often far more simple than we think. Thinking like Sakurai is only going backwards.
The only most out-there characters would be (by @Mega Bidoof 's standards) choices like Pokemon Ranger, Tetris, and Chozo Warrior, who are less probable than Layton and Snake combined. My choices I put in my predictions aren't as out there and ridiculous as you think really.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is basically what goes into my head every time I'm interested in a character. Hi Shulk (SSB 4). Hi Nathan Drake (PSABR). Hi Snake (SSBB)... But yeah, the unique abilities of the character better have a good design and implementation. Otherwise, you're going to end up with a mess like Phoenix Wright in UMvC 3

Shut your mouth.

Phoenix Wright is awesome!

*sobs*

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

Git gud.

Anyway, I'm having problems dealing with Sonic. I'm a Doc and Falco main, so it's hard for me to deal with him. Anyone got some advices to fight that blue hedgehog ?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The problem is that Sakurai seems to put his own spin on newcomers when they have some form of importance and/or have nothing to work with for a moveset with the major appearances they had in their games.
Rosalina representing two of the best selling, innovative Mario games during the Wii era, yet not having much to work with when actually looking at the character itself.
Duck Hunt representing one of the best selling NES games of all time, yet he doesn't have much to work with when actually looking at the gameplay of Duck Hunt.
Pac-Man being the biggest icon in gaming, yet not having much to work with when you actually look at the popular arcade game itself.
These are probably the exceptions to the uniqueness rule.
You're kind of overstating Rosalina's importance, I don't think Sakurai looked at her and thought "this is a character that absolutely must be in Smash even if I have to make up what she can do." Duck Hunt was the token retro character, I don't recall the Ice Climbers or Pit being super high selling games when they were added. Pac-Man is the biggest icon of gaming, but he had many things to work with outside of the arcade title (Pac-Man 2, the Pac-Man World titles, even the hydrant that was taken from Pac-Land), so that's not the best example.
Rayman has something to work with that translates well for playability, but his main abilities are not something that can translate into a new playstyle. Thus he's not comparable to a character who basically has a playstyle given when looking at the main gameplay of their franchise like Olimar and Inkling.
You've already admitted that you've only played a single Rayman game, so you're being way too quick to judge. Rayman is a straightforward platformer most of the time, but it makes use of the fact that he has no limbs. There are many ways this can translate into a unique Smash moveset.
I don't go too far really. Third-parties are probably the characters Sakurai relies uniqueness on, Pac-Man being the exception here only because of his extremely iconic status. Although I do agree that third-parties probably have a stricter and easier to understand criteria.
Sonic wasn't part of the uniqueness criteria that Sakurai set up for Smash 4, the main reason he got in was his amount of requests to be playable in Brawl. Neither was Snake, as it was mainly because of personal request.
Shame on you. The exceptions are not the rule, and four characters are not exceptions. "All third parties must be unique, except for the ones we already have." You can't say that third parties have to be unique and then immediately go back on your own statement by saying that the ones we had got in for completely different reasons. You're also ignoring what was blatantly stated as Sakurai's criteria and insistently inserting your own criteria. This is why I said that you take things too far, you're the one who thinks that every newcomer has to be extremely unique in some way, and you don't speak for Sakurai.
And according to Sakurai, third parties already bring a unique flair by default.
The only most out-there characters would be (by @Mega Bidoof 's standards) choices like Pokemon Ranger, Tetris, and Chozo Warrior, who are less probable than Layton and Snake combined. My choices I put in my predictions aren't as out there and ridiculous as you think really.
*Cough*Dr. Kawashima*Cough*
I just think that you put way too much faith in "new game in the franchise = this character definitely has good chances." Particularly with third parties, who are in a completely different category from Nintendo characters, Bayonetta having a new game doesn't change the fact that she has no business being higher than "never going to happen" on your list (The Tharja trophy was removed for being to risque, and that was just a stationary figure that wasn't prominent in the game, and she's a Nintendo character. Bayonetta is far more "adult" than Tharja, so she has no chance of appearing as even a trophy, let alone a playable character, exclusive Nintendo title be damned. Also, Sega already has Sonic in the game.)

A Nintendo example are the Chorus Men, who are very high on your list. They apparently were going to be in the game, but so were the Ice Climbers. It's safe to assume that they were removed for the same issues, and that as the Chorus Men are three characters instead of two, they would be even harder to implement than the Climbers. Chorus Men being any higher than the Climbers seems like nothing but pure bias, as if either of them had the possibility of getting in, we would have had them already. If by some miracle they do fix them, I'd bet Mewtwo that the other Melee vets would come back before singing newcomers.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
You're kind of overstating Rosalina's importance, I don't think Sakurai looked at her and thought "this is a character that absolutely must be in Smash even if I have to make up what she can do."
Of course Sakurai wouldn't think in one sentence and immediately consider her for playability. I think the way Sakurai considered Rosalina was that he knew she had a playable appearance in an upcoming title (which is pretty much the heavy factor in Smash 4's criteria), then considered her for a candidate in Smash 4. Then he probably thought about what she represents in terms of importance in the Mario series and then made moveset concepts that could work for Rosalina.

Duck Hunt was the token retro character, I don't recall the Ice Climbers or Pit being super high selling games when they were added.
Duck Hunt is the historical retro addition of this game, added for similar reasons Game and Watch and R.O.B. were added as playable characters. Pit and IC were added for reasons different from Duck Hunt.

Pac-Man is the biggest icon of gaming, but he had many things to work with outside of the arcade title (Pac-Man 2, the Pac-Man World titles, even the hydrant that was taken from Pac-Land), so that's not the best example.
I'm well aware of the titles that Pac-Man had different abilities from. It's just I don't think he really thought outside those games, he probably considered him first at face value, seeing him as just a character who eats dots.
Sakurai said:
It goes without saying that Mega Man is a guest who could fit Smash Bros. with his range of moves and attacks, but PAC-MAN as a guest fighter needed some careful consideration.
You've already admitted that you've only played a single Rayman game, so you're being way too quick to judge. Rayman is a straightforward platformer most of the time, but it makes use of the fact that he has no limbs. There are many ways this can translate into a unique Smash moveset.
If that's true, what Rayman games heavily took advantage of his lack of limbs then? Did Rayman 2 (The most well-known Rayman game) take heavily advantage of it? His lack of limbs do not have any special functions themselves to easily give a playstyle to like Olimar.

You can't say that third parties have to be unique and then immediately go back on your own statement by saying that the ones we had got in for completely different reasons. You're also ignoring what was blatantly stated as Sakurai's criteria and insistently inserting your own criteria. This is why I said that you take things too far, you're the one who thinks that every newcomer has to be extremely unique in some way, and you don't speak for Sakurai.
And according to Sakurai, third parties already bring a unique flair by default.
The way I see it; in some cases (based on the characters added in Smash 4), importance can trump over uniqueness or uniqueness can trump importance as the bigger reason to add the character, other factors can trump over other factors, it varies with each possible candidate.

*Cough*Dr. Kawashima*Cough*
He was not that out there of a choice, considering the fact his franchise is very successful. He could've worked as a playable character with his addition of hands in Concentration Training, but based on the representation Brain Age had, it seemed that Sakurai didn't know the game existed just like with Sin and Punishment: Star Successor (Which is a really great game that deserved at least trophy representation.) and arguably Wario Land.

I just think that you put way too much faith in "new game in the franchise = this character definitely has good chances." Particularly with third parties, who are in a completely different category from Nintendo characters, Bayonetta having a new game doesn't change the fact that she has no business being higher than "never going to happen" on your list (The Tharja trophy was removed for being to risque, and that was just a stationary figure that wasn't prominent in the game, and she's a Nintendo character. Bayonetta is far more "adult" than Tharja, so she has no chance of appearing as even a trophy, let alone a playable character, exclusive Nintendo title be damned. Also, Sega already has Sonic in the game.)
I don't put too much faith in it really. Notably appearing in a new game only just makes the character possible for playability. I also consider if the franchise the character belongs to is significant and/or important to at least a decent level too. (Bravely Default and Bayonetta are examples of decently successful third-party franchises.)

A Nintendo example are the Chorus Men, who are very high on your list. They apparently were going to be in the game, but so were the Ice Climbers. It's safe to assume that they were removed for the same issues, and that as the Chorus Men are three characters instead of two, they would be even harder to implement than the Climbers. Chorus Men being any higher than the Climbers seems like nothing but pure bias, as if either of them had the possibility of getting in, we would have had them already. If by some miracle they do fix them, I'd bet Mewtwo that the other Melee vets would come back before singing newcomers.
They aren't impossible to implement as people have suggested concepts for the Chorus Kids that can work within 3DS limitations. I don't want to go on the technical stuff though (You should probably visit the Chorus Kids thread if you want more info on that), but it's possible to make them work.
Remember when Sakurai said that the Ice Climbers didn't join the roster because they couldn't not go through 3DS limitations and most importantly had no upcoming game? Chorus Kids do with the RH 3DS game. And considering their franchise is very popular in Japan and managed to get localized outside of Japan, it's why I think they have a better chance than Ice Climbers and other newcomer candidates,. Not pure bias really.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Personally...if we're talking a new Zelda rep...
If Assist Trophies aren't an option, I'm gonna have to choose this one:

Though I'd rather just have Midna on Wolf Link.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
With Zelda as a series, Tetra with reliance on the Pirate concept (as Sheik did as a Ninja) or Ganon the WizPig as a character who is a heavyweight character with some similarities to Palutena and someone like Bowser seem like the only chances we have for the near future.

Midna, Skull Kid, Ghirahim, and ESPECIALLY Lana all follow this one issue: extremely popular characters tied to one game that have little hope of having a major role in any other game.

Tingle... while incredibly popular in Japan for reasons I would prefer to not ponder, has nothing to give him the throne of a fighter when he's an assist trophy as is.

Tetra had her major role in Wind Waker, but was a plot-device for Phantom Hourglass and there is nothing that stops a game that details the conquering of "New Hyrule," the kingdom seen in Spirit Tracks.

Ganon... do I even need to say it? Zelda I, Link's Awakening, Link To The Past, Four Swords Adventures, differently-formed in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess, and attempted (and semi-succesfully) revived in Zelda II, Oracles of Ages + Seasons, Link's Awakening, and brought in out of nowhere to be a part of the climax for Link Between Worlds.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't think Rayman is anywhere near the level of Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic and Snake. Third party characters have to be a gaming legend in order to get into Smash, and while Rayman has good games, I wouldn't consider him anywhere near as notable or iconic as the other third parties in Smash. Pac, MM, Sonic and Snake are certainly Top 20 VG character material. Rayman is kinda barely in the Top 100, if even that. I like to point out that the Sonic The Hedgehog, Pac-Man, Metal Gear, and Mega Man series have each sold at least 30 million copies. Around there should be the cutoff point for third party additions.

This fella on GAF has an interesting list of all high selling third party series (that aren't licensed games)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102886802&postcount=10235

The Sims
Grand Theft Auto
Need for Speed
Tetris
Call of Duty
Final Fantasy
Sonic the Hedgehog
Assassin’s Creed
The Oregon Trail
Dragon Quest
Battlefield
Resident Evil
Crash Bandicoot
Bejeweled
Just Dance
Pac-Man
Lineage
Tekken
Guitar Hero
Tap Tap
Tomb Raider
Street Fighter
Minecraft
Metal Gear
Mortal Kombat
Medal of Honor
Mega Man

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
I don't think Rayman is anywhere near the level of Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic and Snake. Third party characters have to be a gaming legend in order to get into Smash, and while Rayman has good games, I wouldn't consider him anywhere near as notable or iconic as the other third parties in Smash. Pac, MM, Sonic and Snake are certainly Top 20 VG character material. Rayman is kinda barely in the Top 100, if even that. I like to point out that the Sonic The Hedgehog, Pac-Man, Metal Gear, and Mega Man series have each sold at least 30 million copies. Around there should be the cutoff point for third party additions.

This fella on GAF has an interesting list of all high selling third party series (that aren't licensed games)

Now, let's limit down that list to "new" series with highly-recognizable characters.

Final Fantasy
Assassin's Creed
Dragon Quest
Resident Evil
Crash Bandicoot
Tekken
Tomb Raider
Street Fighter
Minecraft (?)
Mortal Combat

Of these, while Tekken, Street Fighter, and Mortal Combat are all very big fighting game series, I believe it is almost inarguable that FF and DQ have the highest hopes of any representation here.

What do these two have in common in regards to Smash? Two things: Cross-overs with Mario and being made by Square-Enix.

Honestly, I believe Mario Hoops 3 on 3 or Mario Sports Mix would be very clear identifiers for who would be chosen to represent these two series from the company, despite clamors for Geno.

This leaves us with.

FF: White Mage, Black Mage, Ninja, Cactuar, Moogle

DQ: Slime, MAYBE others who appeared in Fortune Street.

Just one angle of observation.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why wouldn't people like Impa as inclusion? Her Hyrule Warriors moveset(s) could give the Zelda roster finally it's broadsword user, or spear user. As SS Impa, she could be a mixture of Zelda and Sheik. Cause why not? They where one character at one point. At worst, she'd be a Sheik clone, or alt. I wouldn't mind if she'd be an alt if that takes her to get in.

As for a Zelda instrument user, Sheik is your best bet. I hope that if she returns next game, she uses her HW Warp style as moveset. Impa and she could both be based on this current Sheik's normals, but would be as different as Marth and Ike.

Ganon would also be amazing though.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

You are sorely underestimating Rayman.

Rayman has sold almost 30 million copies, 26 million if Wikipedia is to be believed. Add in the Rabbids spin offs and he outsells all of the 3rd parties other then Sonic.

He's not on the same level as the other 3rd party characters, but he's pretty close. His games are well received, he's been around for 20 years come this September (Older then Sonic was when he was added in Brawl), and is the mascot of a company that dwarfs the other represented 3rd party companies.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Why wouldn't people like Impa as inclusion? Her Hyrule Warriors moveset(s) could give the Zelda roster finally it's broadsword user, or spear user. As SS Impa, she could be a mixture of Zelda and Sheik. Cause why not? They where one character at one point. At worst, she'd be a Sheik clone, or alt. I wouldn't mind if she'd be an alt if that takes her to get in.

As for a Zelda instrument user, Sheik is your best bet. I hope that if she returns next game, she uses her HW Warp style as moveset. Impa and she could both be based on this current Sheik's normals, but would be as different as Marth and Ike.

Ganon would also be amazing though.
I'll explain this from my perspective.

She has been a character barely above the background in the series. Before the April Direct, people wanted her SS design as a Sheik replacement... before Sheik appeared. They then got hype for her HW design after more of the game was shown.... but Hyrule Warriors being a non-canon spinoff which I BELIEVE was almost entirely done by the Team Ninja crew and Nintendo lent character rights and put their hands in the plot (as happened with Other M). As we are more likely to see a Warriors game of another series than Hyrule Warriors 2: A Link to the Scarf, I feel HW came too early for Sm4sh and too early for 5mash.

Outside of that game (in which she has marginally more importance than Darunia, Ruto, Midna, and Lana), she was: only in the instruction manual (Zelda II), taught a song and/or appeared as a sage (Ocarina of Time, Link Between Worlds), helped as a secondary character in one game (Skyward Sword). She has yet to strike out enough in comparison to other options listed. It isn't about her not having enough as a character, it's her character not being used enough to warrant it yet.

You are sorely underestimating Rayman.

Rayman has sold almost 30 million copies, 26 million if Wikipedia is to be believed. Add in the Rabbids spin offs and he outsells all of the 3rd parties other then Sonic.

He's not on the same level as the other 3rd party characters, but he's pretty close. His games are well received, he's been around for 20 years come this September (Older then Sonic was when he was added in Brawl), and is the mascot of a company that dwarfs the other represented 3rd party companies.
Let me explain a few points that can be said against this:

Rayman never revolutionized gaming like Pac-Man nor had the long-standing Rivalry as Sonic - Mario had.

The Rabbids series has almost nothing to do with Rayman as he became more of a cameo once you got about two, three games into it to the point of not appearing in the games. It is almost like saying that the Donkey Kong Country series has weight for Mario.

Rayman has had three games of actual Rayman from Wii onwards: Rayman 3DS (remake of 2), Origins, and Legends. Remember when Legends was meant to be a WiiU exclusive then Ubisoft stabbed Nintendo from that part of the deal and later refused to sell their hyped new title of Watch Dogs on the system? Pepperidge Farm Remembers.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Remember when Sakurai said that the Ice Climbers didn't join the roster because they couldn't not go through 3DS limitations and most importantly had no upcoming game?
I disagree with this (among other things).

The Ice Climbers were intended to return. They're classic veterans, after all. They were even fully functional on one version of the game. But they couldn't get them to work on both versions, and since they weren't the most significant characters on the roster, they were cut. The most important factor in this is that they couldn't be made to work; they weren't cut "because they had no upcoming game," they were cut because they weren't functional. Not having an upcoming game gave them an excuse to not complete them, but that's not the most important reason for why they were cut. If they could have been made to work, they'd be on the roster.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, if someone like Link was having problems on 3DS you could bet they'd work their ass off to get him in the game because he's one of Nintendo's main icons and he basically has to be there. The Ice Climbers are good representatives for old NES action games like Urban Champion and Clu Clu Land, but they weren't absolutely required to be in Smash like how Pikachu or Mario were. That's what Sakurai meant by them being low priority.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Of course Sakurai wouldn't think in one sentence and immediately consider her for playability. I think the way Sakurai considered Rosalina was that he knew she had a playable appearance in an upcoming title (which is pretty much the heavy factor in Smash 4's criteria), then considered her for a candidate in Smash 4. Then he probably thought about what she represents in terms of importance in the Mario series and then made moveset concepts that could work for Rosalina.

Could you please stop stating opinion as if it were the truth? Unless you're Sakurai, then you don't know what the criteria was for Smash 4. This is exactly what I told you, and something that so many people do, you think that you know why a character got in but you don't. There's so much hindsight bias that it's unreal. The only time Sakurai said anything about new games affecting the chance of a character was with the Ice Climbers, and that was only because he had technical difficulties with them and thought it would be better to give up on them to have more time to work on the rest of the game.

Duck Hunt is the historical retro addition of this game, added for similar reasons Game and Watch and R.O.B. were added as playable characters. Pit and IC were added for reasons different from Duck Hunt.
We keep making up our own terms for this too. There was never any "historical retro" characters, and the retro term itself has been used and abused by the speculative community to the point of breaking. The only thing Sakurai said about "retros" was that he added old, unused (which contradicts your first statement about characters with newer games) characters in the hopes that their franchises would come back. The Ice Climbers failed to come back completely, and Pit only came back because of Sakurai taking the responsibility himself. Duck Hunt is the same, he had a single game decades ago and it's about time for a reboot. Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B. are completely different, they have no proper franchises to bring back. They are the only thing close to historical characters as you describe them, but they are more-so representatives of their respective hardware.

I'm well aware of the titles that Pac-Man had different abilities from. It's just I don't think he really thought outside those games, he probably considered him first at face value, seeing him as just a character who eats dots.
Now you're just blatantly and insultingly underestimating Sakurai as a designer. Hasn't he already made it clear that he does extensive research on a character to find what works and what doesn't work? This has to be the poorest excuse I've seen.

If that's true, what Rayman games heavily took advantage of his lack of limbs then? Did Rayman 2 (The most well-known Rayman game) take heavily advantage of it? His lack of limbs do not have any special functions themselves to easily give a playstyle to like Olimar.
Again, your ignorance of the franchise is showing, you should zip that up. From the very first Rayman game, his lack of limbs has been a focal point. He could throw his fists between narrow passages to hit enemies that he otherwise couldn't reach, he also picked up items this way. At the end of the game, his fists were even taken away from him, leaving him helpless to attack. In Rayman 2, he lost his foot and it had to physically hop back to him, and in Rayman 3, his fists were stolen again, leaving him only able to kick. He's fallen apart, reassembled, his detached parts are very important.

And again, you keep asking me "what Rayman does in his games to constitute uniqueness in Smash" while using Olimar and Rosalina as examples. When in a Mario game did Rosalina ever throw her babies at people as weapons? When did Luma's ever do anything, let alone attack or spit star bits? When has Olimar grabbed Pikmin and swung them like melee weapons? The most he's done is throw them, which is represented by a single special in Smash. The gameplay of Pikmin is mostly premised of collecting things and carrying them back to the ship, which brought nothing of value to Smash. If Olimar can take creative liberties and do things that he doesn't actually do in his game, then Rayman can too. And as I've said before, if you can't see anything unique at all about a character with floating body parts that aren't physically attached, then you need a better imagination.

The way I see it; in some cases (based on the characters added in Smash 4), importance can trump over uniqueness or uniqueness can trump importance as the bigger reason to add the character, other factors can trump over other factors, it varies with each possible candidate.
Again, you are not Sakurai. You think you know why a character got in, but you don't really know. Just the fact that you have to debate whether importance or uniqueness was more important shows this blatantly.

I don't put too much faith in it really. Notably appearing in a new game only just makes the character possible for playability. I also consider if the franchise the character belongs to is significant and/or important to at least a decent level too. (Bravely Default and Bayonetta are examples of decently successful third-party franchises.)
You think that Young Link is going to come back because of a remake when he was blatantly replaced by Toon Link (by function within Smash, Young Link and Toon Link are the same character). Again, third parties have a completely different criteria from Nintendo characters. Bravely Default and Bayonetta having new games doesn't get them any brownie points, Mega Man is dead in the water and he got in. You even think that them having new games makes them more likely than Snake, a veteran, who has an even newer game, and another new game on the way. You also completely disregard that third parties have to be iconic in general, Bayonetta and Bravely Default only have two games to their names, they should not even qualify. They'll have a chance in a few decades or so, if they actually spawn large franchises. Pac-Man, Snake, Mega Man, Sonic, and Rayman all have 20+ games and are all over a decade old (in fact, Rayman is the youngest, and he turns twenty this year). Bayonetta and whoever the protagonist of Bravely Default is, are not iconic characters, they are not even important to their own companies (Bayonetta is nowhere close to Sonic, and Squeenix would want a Final Fantasy character before some new one).

They aren't impossible to implement as people have suggested concepts for the Chorus Kids that can work within 3DS limitations. I don't want to go on the technical stuff though (You should probably visit the Chorus Kids thread if you want more info on that), but it's possible to make them work.
Remember when Sakurai said that the Ice Climbers didn't join the roster because they couldn't not go through 3DS limitations and most importantly had no upcoming game? Chorus Kids do with the RH 3DS game. And considering their franchise is very popular in Japan and managed to get localized outside of Japan, it's why I think they have a better chance than Ice Climbers and other newcomer candidates,. Not pure bias really.
Where on earth did Sakurai say "most importantly"? Perfect example of people taking things way out of context.

If the Chorus Men can be made to work on the 3DS, then why can't the Ice Climbers? That is bias, plain and simple.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ice Climbers might have been able to work. But they didn't have as future, so as soon as they risked delaying the game...
I imagine this to be the case. They were fully intended to be playable, but in the grand scheme of things, they aren't the most significant characters on the roster (especially when compared to big name characters like Mario, Link, and Pikachu). They were a loss that could, unfortunately, be afforded.

I would think that, if the Chorus Men were planned at some point, they may have had a similar issue. The concept of a trio of characters would have been even more of a hassle than the Ice Climbers; if technical issues could prevent the return of a Melee veteran, even greater technical issues would have certainly kept out a relatively obscure potential newcomer.

And as I've said before, if you can't see anything unique at all about a character with floating body parts that aren't physically attached, then you need a better imagination.
To be fair, that concept is part of why he supports Dr. Kawashima, so I assume he can see the potential in such an idea.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux The way you're describing Rayman's potential moveset reminds me of a moveset I made for Mr. Potato Head way back in 2010. Basically, his regular moveset has a mechanic like Rosalina's, but with an option to inflate a part so, while he performs standards, the part flies forward while performing the same attack. Sounds like something Rayman could do as well.

Of course, unless the detachable limbs can perform yoga poses, you might be out of luck anyway. :dizzy:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ice Climbers might have been able to work. But they didn't have as future, so as soon as they risked delaying the game...
IMO, Sakurai saying they have no future is probably sour grapes... Sakurai was making two games and he wanted Ice Climbers in both versions and when he realized he couldn't accomplish this, he had to cut them, move on, and work on the rest of the roster instead of wasting more precious development time shoehorning them in the games. They almost cut Bowser Jr. because of time constraints (probably because of the Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids taking up development time that was ultimately wasted).

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
@ JamesDNaux JamesDNaux The way you're describing Rayman's potential moveset reminds me of a moveset I made for Mr. Potato Head way back in 2010. Basically, he has a similar mechanic to Rosalina's, but with an option to inflate a part so, while he performs standards, the part flies forward while performing the same attack. Sounds like something Rayman could do as well.

Of course, unless the detachable limbs can perform yoga poses, you might be out of luck anyway. :dizzy:
Clearly the only way Rayman can be unique is if he swings a sword while doing yoga poses.

At least he's got the blue hair.

But yes, my basic idea for Rayman is that he can ruin your day from across the stage, not quite like Luma, but the basic premise of my moveset is that Rayman likes to keep enemies away and in the air. He'd be something of a mix of a zoner and a rush down character, he doesn't like you to be in his face, but he likes to be in your face. He'd have many tools for keeping someone at just the right distance... almost like a long ranged version of Marth and his tipper.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Clearly the only way Rayman can be unique is if he swings a sword while doing yoga poses.

At least he's got the blue hair.

But yes, my basic idea for Rayman is that he can ruin your day from across the stage, not quite like Luma, but the basic premise of my moveset is that Rayman likes to keep enemies away and in the air. He'd be something of a mix of a zoner and a rush down character, he doesn't like you to be in his face, but he likes to be in your face. He'd have many tools for keeping someone at just the right distance... almost like a long ranged version of Marth and his tipper.
...Dang it, now I'm starting to get interested in seeing Rayman in Smash.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
How were you not already? I've always thought he could be a perfect contender for Smash since Origins released.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
There's a plethora of things that Rayman has at his disposal. If you liked my description of his rushdown/zoner playstyle, I even have a completely detailed moveset written out in his thread.
How were you not already? I've always thought he could be a perfect contender for Smash since Origins released.
The instant I saw Solid Snake in Brawl and my mind crossed over to "third parties wait what?!" I thought of Rayman. Yep, he crossed my mind before Sonic the freaking Hedgehog. I was quiet about my support for him because of the people who kept saying (and still do) that he wasn't iconic enough to make it in. But then he got a trophy, and now I will never give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom