• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I do think that we've gotten stuck on thinking every newcomer has to be mindblowingly unique when we still got a lot of newcomers who weren't all that crazy but still really fun. :4bowserjr::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4villager::4wiifit:

Seriously, not every newcomer has to be mind blowing.

They just have to be fun.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
1) Advance Wars, if getting anyone, would be one of the main protagonists because there's no game who got a villain before a protagonist in Smash.
2) "He's as popular as Ridley by SSB5" I'm sorry but this statement is blind to the amount of demand the likes of King K. Rool and Ridley have for being iconic parts of some of Nintendo's biggest and best series that people grew up with.
3) Advance Wars is, I feel, too "niche" of a series without a revolutionarily outstanding game to have someone that ends up being someone's top pick by fan desire alone (Nobody was asking for Marth before Melee, for example).
4) As with the case of any Advance Wars character, the big point to debate is what would happen with their moveset when the characters do nothing but command troops already represented by an Assist Trophy?
I still stand by Sami adopting Snakes moveset. (with a few changes)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do think that we've gotten stuck on thinking every newcomer has to be mindblowingly unique when we still got a lot of newcomers who weren't all that crazy but still really fun. :4bowserjr::4greninja::4palutena::4pacman::4villager::4wiifit:

Seriously, not every newcomer has to be mind blowing.

They just have to be fun.
I think :4bowserjr: and :4palutena: especially are real quite unique. And yes, playing :4villager: has definitely changed my opinion about him. :4villager: is annoying as hell, but wow what a fun character. In a silly way. Planting trees is very fun. I was literally like 'Yo bro leave me alone can't you see I'm just minding my own bussiness here?' whilst planning my friend's destruction.

:4robinm::4duckhunt::4palutena::4bowserjr::rosalina::4villager: are quite characters I consider 'mindblowingly unique' to be honest.

Creativity is really just lacking in :4mii::4darkpit::4drmario:. I'd much prefer Wolf, Lucas or other potential semi-clones as Impa or Dixie.

But many knew that already of course. :rolleyes: Anyway, can't wait to play the game again!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sami? Sturm? I would rather get a generic Infantry Unit. They are the ones doing all the work while COs like Sami and Sturm sit back and tell them what to do.

I imagine the Infantry Unit would fight similarly to Bill Rizer from the Contra games and Marco Rossi from the Metal Slug games... I would think a fighter based on the run and gun genre would be unique... especially when the Infantry Unit summons land-based units and air-based units like tanks and bombers.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toad, Bandana Dee, and Impa all have one similarity: loyality to the main royality / ruler of their respective universes. Toad: :4peach: Bandana Dee: :4dedede: Impa: :4zelda:.
Also, coming back to this thing I said earlier: it would make for some awesome Event Matches I feel.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yes, RH was ignored almost completely when pre-Smash 4 speculation was up and running.
I seen very few fans bring it up before Gematsu leaked the 2nd wave of characters, people generally brought up Golden Sun and Advance Wars as series likely to get character representation.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, RH was ignored almost completely when pre-Smash 4 speculation was up and running.
I seen very few fans bring it up before Gematsu leaked the 2nd wave of characters, people generally brought up Golden Sun and Advance Wars as series likely to get character representation.
So, similarly, very few people would have claimed that RH was under appreciated in speculation?

Hey, no fair! I thought all along it was possible for Gematsu to be a fabrication, I just didn't think Chrom would get the axe at the time.
Is "get the axe" really the right term?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hey, no fair! I thought all along it was possible for Gematsu to be a fabrication, I just didn't think Chrom would get the axe at the time.
Except people where all like "When the hell will Chorus Kids be revealed, we know they're in!". I just began to believe the leaks completely when I saw video footage of never seen before characters as :4bowserjr:. Gematsu was right on :4shulk::4pacman::4mii::4wiifit: and I guessss :4greninja: to. But they never told us about :4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4robinm::4darkpit::4lucina::rosalina:. And they got some characters downright wrong, as Chrom and Chorus Kids.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Except people where all like "When the hell will Chorus Kids be revealed, we know they're in!". I just believed the leaks completely till I saw video footage of never seen before characters as :4bowserjr:. Gematsu was right on :4shulk::4pacman::4mii::4wiifit: and I guessss :4greninja: to. But they never told us about :4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4robinm::4darkpit::4lucina::rosalina:. And they got some characters downright wrong, as Chrom and Chorus Kids.
To be fair, Gematsu could've been right all along, but at the same time outdated. Sakurai did say he considered Chrom at first, and the Chorus Kids may have had the same programming problem as the Ice Climbers.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
To be fair, Gematsu could've been right all along, but at the same time outdated. Sakurai did say he considered Chrom at first, and the Chorus Kids may have had the same programming problem as the Ice Climbers.
We will see, when there is more DLC.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Either way, I never put any stock in this Gematsu leak hogwash.
The only time when I was starting to go into "please god no" mode was right before it got wrecked by Robin.
I think this is also part of why I like Robin so mich actually

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sami and Black Shadow are the most over-exaggerated characters I have seen on these boards during speculation.
Not to mention a certain giant purple lanky space dragon and a certain fat pirate king scientist boxer alligator.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Does anyone else think they're going to do the same thing Mario Kart 8 did where Nintendo kept denying DLC until it finally showed it off? Look how much there is now for that game! I thought Mewtwo was going to be the only DLC this spring but now it just can't happen

Last edited:

Selenite

Smash Cadet
Aren't you disappointed, as any Zelda Fan would be, that these two are just mere assists?
Midna appeared as an Assist Trophy but not Wolf Link.
They are each in one game- not counting Hyrule Warriors. I don't think they deserve to be playable in Smash.
The amount of games a character has appeared in is irrelevant because if Sheik :sheikmelee: is anything to go by potential unique moveset influence the deciding factor unless you were the director of the Super Smash Bros series.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sheik only got in Melee because of the transformation gimmick tied to Zelda.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Excuses, excuses.
Sheik, Shulk, Greninja, Robin, Lucina, Ness. All technically one-off characters.

But you can create excuses for them because they're already in and you don't need to defend them.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not to mention a certain giant purple lanky space dragon and a certain fat pirate king scientist boxer alligator.
Ridley was pretty much deconfirmed when 'Other boss appearances on stages' happened with the Ridley shadow.

K.Rool had a lot going for him. Kremlings being back, DK64 references on the Boxing stage, his insane popularity, no heavy weight newcomer till :4bowserjr: showed up...

Man, I'd totally like borrow money to get a Wii U and Smash immediately if K.Rool made it in...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Excuses, excuses.
Sheik, Shulk, Greninja, Robin, Lucina, Ness. All technically one-off characters.

But you can create excuses for them because they're already in and you don't need to defend them.
Since you listed those characters, a pattern emerges. One-off characters get in if they are in the newer games of their respective franchises by the time a Smash game comes out.

Ness was in EarthBound (1994) and it was the newest game in the Mother series in 1999.

Sheik was in Ocarina of Time (1998) and it was one of two newest games in the Zelda series by Nintendo EAD in 2001.

Shulk was in Xenoblade Chronicles (2010) and it was the only game in the Xenoblade series in 2012 when Sakurai decided on the roster.

Robin and Lucina were in Fire Emblem Awakening (2012) and it was the newest game in the Fire Emblem series in 2012 when Sakurai decided on the roster.

Greninja was in Pokemon X & Y (2013) and it was going to be the newest game in the Pokemon series since Sakurai already had concept art of Greninja as early as 2012. One more thing, Greninja is not an one-off character. Pokemon are never one-off characters since they will just be available in future Pokemon games anyway.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Since you listed those characters, a pattern emerges. One-off characters get in if they are in the newer games of their respective franchises by the time a Smash game comes out.

Ness was in EarthBound (1994) and it was the newest game in the Mother series in 1999.

Sheik was in Ocarina of Time (1998) and it was one of two newest games in the Zelda series by Nintendo EAD in 2001.

Shulk was in Xenoblade Chronicles (2010) and it was the only game in the Xenoblade series in 2012 when Sakurai decided on the roster.

Robin and Lucina were in Fire Emblem Awakening (2012) and it was the newest game in the Fire Emblem series in 2012 when Sakurai decided on the roster.

Greninja was in Pokemon X & Y (2013) and it was going to be the newest game in the Pokemon series since Sakurai already had concept art of Greninja as early as 2012. One more thing, Greninja is not an one-off character. Pokemon are never one-off characters since they will just be available in future Pokemon games anyway.
Not to mention that Ness was the protagonist of the only Mother game that was sold internationally (which is still one of the most well-selling RPGs).

Sheik was PLANNED to be in Twilight Princess, and later was dropped. The remnants of her concept art is what was used for her Brawl design. And, if anything, Hyrule Warriors brought her back from being a one-off, even if it is a spin-off.

Shulk is a case very similar to Ness where he may be a one-off protagonist, but he is one in a VERY high-demand, high-selling, and outstanding RPG game that really shines as its own series for Nintendo.

Robin ACTUALLY represents the My Unit concept, first used back in FE7 (the first one sold internationally) and first made playable in FE12. Robin is just the first time that a My Unit has had a proper default look and a fairly set class type. Lucina.... basically coasted in off of being "Marf." In fact, barring Lucina, the current FE representatives are the only characters to be playable and plot-tied in multiple games (Marth has 1 & 3, then their remakes 11 & 12, Ike had 9 & 10, and MyUnits count for 12 and 13). I use this specific phrasing because it excludes Eliwood and Hector who were not playable and plot important at the same time in FE6.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Right, and Ghirahim was in the newest Zelda at the time Smash 4 came out. He fits the pattern perfectly, but was disregarded because...he wasn't Ganondorf?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Right, and Ghirahim was in the newest Zelda at the time Smash 4 came out. He fits the pattern perfectly, but was disregarded because...he wasn't Ganondorf?
He isn't the big bad of the series like Ganondorf is. They could've gone for Impa, but she might be saved for DLC- or they decided they wanted to keep Sheik around? I think it's very suspicious that Sheik is reworked so much for a character that isn't all that ""relevant"" at all. Her movement, her separation from Zelda, almost as many new moves as Bowser...

I wish they just did the replacement thing. I doubt that Sheik will stay around in the series if it isn't for Hyrule Warriors continuing.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Impa will get in Smash eventually... we just need to hope that Impa has a major role in Zelda Wii U... that is, if she is even in the game at all.

My god, Hyrule Warriors is incredible. I am almost certain we will get Majora's Mask DLC this week since we are going to have another Nintendo Direct tomorrow (hopefully with the Mewtwo DLC trailer).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom