• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
When you guys talk about character bundles how do you think it would work? Multiple characters being released at once (if so how many and would they be able to be purchased separately?) or taking already released DLC characters and later releasing them together in a bundle, and how many? Would the bundled characters have to be connected in certain ways like be from the same franchise or being cut Brawl characters or could they be bundled without having much of a connection? I just want a better understanding on how people view it.
I hope they have a bundle planned for the cut Melee characters, as one would, right? (:icsmelee::pichumelee::roymelee:, probably not :younglinkmelee:) and a one for the cut Brawl characters (:squirtle::ivysaur::lucas::wolf: probably not:pt::snake:) this may or may not include stages, items, etc. but still, people will definitely buy these bundles. If this happens I think it would be less likely for non veterans (as much as I want new characters) to be DLC because the roster may be to big. But then again idk how big Sakurai wants the roster to be

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If we're talking DLC packs, I'm personally hoping for "Third Party Veteran/Newcomer Combo Pack."
Metal Gear meets Rayman.

Veteran Solid Snake returns with his home stage, Shadow Moses Island and all of its music, including some new tracks.

Newcomer Rayman joins the battle with his home stage, The Glade of Dreams, featuring new remixes made for Smash.

Only in my dreams.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
If we're talking DLC packs, I'm personally hoping for "Third Party Veteran/Newcomer Combo Pack."
Metal Gear meets Rayman.

Veteran Solid Snake returns with his home stage, Shadow Moses Island and all of its music, including some new tracks.

Newcomer Rayman joins the battle with his home stage, The Glade of Dreams, featuring new remixes made for Smash.

Only in my dreams.
I'd actually be okay with this, and I'm not a fan of either series.

And hey, if I can dream of Professor Layton and Tiki in Smash, anything's possible~

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
:4gaw:?

I mean the identity of :4gaw: was literally made up in Melee.

I mean at least the :4mii::4miif: are the stars of several successful franchises.

They have their identity as avatars. Even though they look different. One look tells you its a Mii, because even if there's no set look, they still have a recognizable identity.

:4gaw: didn't even have an identity.

Heck I don't even think there was a Game and Watch character that looked like :4gaw:.
Firstly, Game and Watch did absolutely look like Game and Watch in his games- they may have refined his details, but that is true of any character, and legitimately necessary for any receiving as harsh of an upgrade in pure pixelation as he did. He was clearly recognizable from those games. The Miis, conversely, not only look differently every time, but that is their schtick- I'm not claiming that

The Miis additionally, are not even the Stars of their franchise- they are merely avatars of US in their "franchises,"
To even call a franchise is a bit frivolous, the games have absolutely nothing to do with each other mostly, and just use the concept of the avatar character. Again, other Nintendo IPs are notorious for this too, but at least they are a stable Property, with some amount of design, relationships, development at all. The Miis have none of this, they have simply a name, and the fact that they are visual representation of us in game That isn't an entire WORLD in a game, sch as Mario or Zelda or Starfox, it is a brief concept, utilized as loosely and far reaching as the aMIIbo. The whole point of the Mii is just to make an experience personal; it may be a copywritten word and Idea, but they certainly are not a franchise; even in Smash, they aren't a franchise- we have all of the Mario subseries (Kart, Paper) lumped together, but their games are separated as far as getting different symbols per game, because the Miis aren't the star.

All this said, the Miis are important to Nintendo, but they are not stars in their own right. You could not have a Mii at a meet and greet, whereas you could have any other character, even Villager or WFT.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I'd actually be okay with this, and I'm not a fan of either series.

And hey, if I can dream of Professor Layton and Tiki in Smash, anything's possible~
I don't think Tiki is that much of a long shot if that's what you're saying. They could have added her. A manakete (dragon shifter) who is a recurring character in the series. Though I really wanted Lyn, I was also disappointed that they did not include Micaiah. She is the real protagonist of RD. She would have been 100% magic based

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
All this said, the Miis are important to Nintendo, but they are not stars in their own right. You could not have a Mii at a meet and greet, whereas you could have any other character, even Villager or WFT.
Not that this matters, but...

I don't think you could have Mr. Game&Watch at a meet-and-greet.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Firstly, Game and Watch did absolutely look like Game and Watch in his games- they may have refined his details, but that is true of any character, and legitimately necessary for any receiving as harsh of an upgrade in pure pixelation as he did. He was clearly recognizable from those games. The Miis, conversely, not only look differently every time, but that is their schtick- I'm not claiming that

The Miis additionally, are not even the Stars of their franchise- they are merely avatars of US in their "franchises,"
To even call a franchise is a bit frivolous, the games have absolutely nothing to do with each other mostly, and just use the concept of the avatar character. Again, other Nintendo IPs are notorious for this too, but at least they are a stable Property, with some amount of design, relationships, development at all. The Miis have none of this, they have simply a name, and the fact that they are visual representation of us in game That isn't an entire WORLD in a game, sch as Mario or Zelda or Starfox, it is a brief concept, utilized as loosely and far reaching as the aMIIbo. The whole point of the Mii is just to make an experience personal; it may be a copywritten word and Idea, but they certainly are not a franchise; even in Smash, they aren't a franchise- we have all of the Mario subseries (Kart, Paper) lumped together, but their games are separated as far as getting different symbols per game, because the Miis aren't the star.

The Mii world has Wuhu Island and Tomodachi Life and Find Mii.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The Mii world has Wuhu Island and Tomodachi Life and Find Mii.
Those are all different symbols. Thus, different games and franchises. Even Mario Kart and Paper Mario, which are completely different franchises than Mario, don't have different symbols.
The Miis themselves don't even get a symbol themselves.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So Wrecking Crew is a different franchise from Mario?
Fair point. I'm going to still go ahead and say yes, but the fact that the Miis themselves don't even have a symbol tells me that they aren't seen as a franchise. So far I havnt seen any points made to even attempts to rebut that statement.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Fair point. I'm going to still go ahead and say yes, but the fact that the Miis themselves don't even have a symbol tells me that they aren't seen as a franchise. So far I havnt seen any points made to even attempts to rebut that statement.
Miis themselves aren't a franchise no.

But the games they star in are.

One could say that they don't have a unique symbol as doing so would mean ridding each of their series (Wii Sports, Find Mii, etc) of some individuality.

Essentially, the Miis have the Smash symbol because they represent a butload of series.

D

Deleted member

I thought Miis had the Smash symbol because they are Smash-centered incarnations of the player avatars?

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I thought Miis had the Smash symbol because they are Smash-centered incarnations of the player avatars?
They only have the Smash symbol because Sakurai didn't feel that they were even Miis anymore. And they have no universe to represent.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
They only have the Smash symbol because Sakurai didn't feel that they were even Miis anymore. And they have no universe to represent.
I'd like to see that written somewhere. I remember reading that he changed them up slightly, making them more fighting viable by adding arms and legs, but nothing of them not being Miis anymore- they are even called Miis!
They certainly, however, do not have a universe to represent.
Essentially, the Miis have the Smash symbol because they represent a butload of series.
I don't think that makes any sense. They don't have any series, they merely guest star in the series they appear in, and have nothing to do with them. They represent casual gaming at the finest, sure, by not even having characters- they are the absence of a character.
To say each series they appear in is theirs would be to say Wii Party, a clear derivative of Mario Party and attempt to rebrand it after Hudson Left, is a Wii game--- and it isn't The Miis represent no series, not many; they merely represent themselves.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I've always thought Tiki would fit much better as an Assist Trophy than a playable character, but that could just be me not seeing how she would work.
I thought about how she could work as a playable character, though it just involved various parts of her body turning into dragon parts. Like to shoot a fire ball her hand would turn into a dragon head or something like that

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I don't think that makes any sense. They don't have any series, they merely guest star in the series they appear in...
Certainly explains why they're hanging out with Sonic, Megaman and Pac-Man.

Regardless of whether Mii is a character or not or even has a series or not, they're still one of the most recognisable Nintendo IPs of the past decade.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I'd like to see that written somewhere. I remember reading that he changed them up slightly, making them more fighting viable by adding arms and legs, but nothing of them not being Miis anymore- they are even called Miis!
They certainly, however, do not have a universe to represent.

I don't think that makes any sense. They don't have any series, they merely guest star in the series they appear in, and have nothing to do with them. They represent casual gaming at the finest, sure, by not even having characters- they are the absence of a character.
To say each series they appear in is theirs would be to say Wii Party, a clear derivative of Mario Party and attempt to rebrand it after Hudson Left, is a Wii game--- and it isn't The Miis represent no series, not many; they merely represent themselves.
Actually, both parts of what I said are true because I kind of got it from smash wiki lol. And it makes sense to me

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Don't you think Smash might nudge the game toward being a hit or at least garnering more sales than not being advertised?

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Don't you think Smash might nudge the game toward being a hit or at least garnering more sales than not being advertised?
In moderation, sure. If we had three new IPs and characters used in this game to promote them, I don't think the would all be classics. And then, we would have three more characters people would gripe about not staying on the roster, when their series are not continued.
It also comes down to Sakurai- he needs proper material (whatever that means to him) to play a game and represent a character from it well (whatever that means to him).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Does Captain Toad count as a new franchise?
He would definitely be grouped with the Mario cast and get a Mushroom symbol. I mean, Toad IS the Mushroom. Why wouldn't he get that symbol?

I am kind of excited about his potential inclusion though! I never played Captain Toad, as I don't own a Wii U or 3DS, but I always wanted Toad playable.

Really, Toad, Dixie Kong, and Impa are just about the most neglected "All Star" Nintendo characters left from major franchises. I'd love to see them all make it in.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Umm.... K Rool is more of an All Star than any unseen Zelda character.
Sorry guys.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Fix'd for accuracy. :awesome:
Vaati hasn't really been in Zelda since the beginning, hasn't appeared in the deemed most 'important' games in the franchise and has not been playable ever.

He really doesn't fit the All Star title at all.

Then again, neither do I think that :4villager::4wiifit::4robinm::4mii::4greninja::4darkpit: fill those criteria so yeah, take that as you want.
Umm.... K Rool is more of an All Star than any unseen Zelda character.
Sorry guys.
King K.Rool is needed for other reasons. The series need their proper cast being put back togheter, so that DKC has an established 'core' cast. And ideally, I think that's DK, Diddy, Dixie and King K.Rool. I'd even want to throw Cranky in there. Cause Cranky being in Smash would just be the best thing ever. No, really. I'd only play Cranky vs Mario matches all the time probably.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
He would definitely be grouped with the Mario cast and get a Mushroom symbol. I mean, Toad IS the Mushroom. Why wouldn't he get that symbol?

I am kind of excited about his potential inclusion though! I never played Captain Toad, as I don't own a Wii U or 3DS, but I always wanted Toad playable.

Really, Toad, Dixie Kong, and Impa are just about the most neglected "All Star" Nintendo characters left from major franchises. I'd love to see them all make it in.
But I've heard that the problem with Captain Toad or just toad in general is that he can't jump... even if he can, it would be interesting to see Toad more than just a B move.

D

Deleted member

I'd even want to throw Cranky in there. Cause Cranky being in Smash would just be the best thing ever. No, really. I'd only play Cranky vs Mario matches all the time probably.
They really do need to settle the score...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
But I've heard that the problem with Captain Toad or just toad in general is that he can't jump... even if he can, it would be interesting to see Toad more than just a B move.
He's not exactly a propper jumper in SMB2. I don't know about Captain Toad's gameplay, but they could always give him this as Up B :

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You and Diddy make it pretty difficult to choose between my favourite Zelda character. Vaati in Hyrule when please?

Is it possible to compile a list of what could be considered big names not yet in Smash?
In my opinion:

-Dixie Kong
-King K.Rool
-Cranky Kong
-Bandana Dee
-Impa
-Tetra
-Toon Zelda
-Isaac
-Toad
-Paper Mario

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
He's not exactly a propper jumper in SMB2. I don't know about Captain Toad's gameplay, but they could always give him this as Up B :

Thats a really good idea, why didn't i think of that?? Idk the person on SSB4 Dojo was giving his reasons as to why Toad wouldn't make sense..
You and Diddy make it pretty difficult to choose between my favourite Zelda character. Vaati in Hyrule when please?

Is it possible to compile a list of what could be considered big names not yet in Smash?
Aren't you disappointed, as any Zelda Fan would be, that these two are just mere assists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom