• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Whatever you had in mind for the Miis would not be feasible IMO.

How would Mii swallow characters and turn them into eggs? How would Mii inhale characters and copy their B moves? How would Mii summon a Luma or a Wild Gunman? How would Mii roll like Jigglypuff? How would Mii eat a dot chain? They make no sense.

There is a reason Sakurai made standard fighter archetypes with Miis... brawlers, swordfighters, gunners (aka projectile users)... instead of mixing and matching special moves from all other characters.

Also, the Miis are a powerhouse IP.
I see your point where it refers to animation and linked moves- such as Olimar calling back Pikmin-- the examples you list, I dont see any other issues with. They would do it by doing it.

Mii is powerful enough for three new characters in one game? I dont think so.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I think Pokemon Trainer should be the only character to transform AKA swap between Pokemon if he/she is added again. That just seems to be the most unique aspect of the character IMO.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I see your point where it refers to animation and linked moves- such as Olimar calling back Pikmin-- the examples you list, I dont see any other issues with. They would do it by doing it.

Mii is powerful enough for three new characters in one game? I dont think so.
Well, given that Miis are a powerhouse with several games in their resume... and they all sold millions... more so than Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, and Star Fox combined... yes, I think so.

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice
I've wanted something else to be seen for Pokemon.
Legitimately, the only new thing we have seen for Pokemon since the FIRST GAME has been the Trainer, and he was cut.
We have Pokeballs, no other items, two stages (a version of a transforming theme, and a gimmicky location based stage... hoorah to neither. We get this in every game, at least in Melee we had Pokefloats, which showed the essence of Pokemon in just HOW MANY Pokemon their are, and the idea of travel from one destination to the next in a constant effort to become the best)
...and then we have basic Pokemon, the most unique of which being one who has an aura mechanic. That's it. It in no way showcases any of the diversity presented in the multiple fields of media, video game genres, or even the different characters. Nothing about it really feels like it has to be "pokemon" as much as that it could be any other fighter from any series, reskinned. There is NONE of the essence of the series in the characters. It's atrocious and completely overlooked.

At least if we get trainer back, I'd love to have him with the ability to 'catch' people, since that is, ya know, a huge aspect of what he does.
As a fan of the Pokemon games who doesn't really pay attention to much outside the game itself (cards, anime, metagame etc.) Pokemon has always been in a uniquely odd predicament for me, Smash-wise. Each players journey will be by necessity be so different that choosing any one will be sure to ignore the majority of play-throughs. On the other hand, I really don't know how to incorporate the prominent human characters that occupy everyone's play-through (Red, Professor Oak, N, etc.) as the only way you really battle is through the Pokemon themselves. I thought the Pokemon Trainer concept was a brilliant way to resolve these issues -although he really should have been named Red- and was frankly sad to see it go (I was also a bit salty at no longer being able to play my favorite evolutionary line, but that's neither here nor there). Pikachu's the mascot, Mewtwo is the only legendary I can think of that's both feasible to play as and actually integrated into the game story until Deoxys in ORAS (correct me if I'm wrong here), Charizard is the most popular Pokemon in the West and Greninja is at least a starter but Lucario and Jigglypuff seem marginal to the actual games to me (Not that I want them cut, I'm pretty live and let live). It's a surprisingly weird situation for one of the biggest Nintendo franchises to be in, but that obviously hasn't stopped them from thriving in terms of new characters.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This greatly disturbs me. In part because I don't understand the alternating thing you are suggesting, I guess that sometimes it would be Squirtle, Sometimes Blastoise, but the fact that I believe you mean a fire starter to complete the triangle, to randomly come it, does not sit well. Those two are tied together with Charizard, it would be odd to have them and some other Gen's fire. Unless they were just any starters anytime. I'd prefer a different summoning mechanism, my favorite involving summoning Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Eevee, and Pichu.
Ummmm no.

I meant they're all separate characters.

Squirtle and Ivysaur appear as separate characters.

Or Blastoise and Venusaur appear as separate characters to match up with Charizard's "final evolution" status.

Or a new grass-type Pokémon newcomer appears to complete the triangle of Charizard, Greninja and other 'mon.

That's if Pokémon Trainer himself doesn't reappear, and honestly, there's no reason why s/he can't or shouldn't.

Last edited:

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I think Pokemon Trainer should be the only character to transform AKA swap between Pokemon if he/she is added again. That just seems to be the most unique aspect of the character IMO.
Most unique aspect......and the reason for getting cut in the first place, most likely :/

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Well, given that Miis are a powerhouse with several games in their resume... and they all sold millions... more so than Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, and Star Fox combined... yes, I think so.
There is not a Mii franchise, all of the games are vastly different and just happen to have the same characters. You could argue that this is the case for other Nintendo series, but the Miis are literally just avatars of us, or whomever, which makes them inherently more bland in the first place.
There is a Mii identity, and it is recognizable enough in one character as much as it is in three. There is no identity in anything other than the name. While gameplay-wise, three characters may add more selection, there is absolutely nothing more noteworthy regarding the IP by separating them into a classification they never had.

Again, avatar characters are inherently more lifeless, because they take on whatever role we give them, and in this case, they are actually nothing but an idea in the first place. This makes them rather droll on that merit innately. There is no more wow factor in having three of these than in having one-- other than selection.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I think it's fair to say that we need Dixie and King K. Rool and we can call it a day. I mean, give me one good reason why they shouldn't include them. The DK Series deserves to have them in.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There is not a Mii franchise, all of the games are vastly different and just happen to have the same characters. You could argue that this is the case for other Nintendo series, but the Miis are literally just avatars of us, or whomever, which makes them inherently more bland in the first place.
There is a Mii identity, and it is recognizable enough in one character as much as it is in three. There is no identity in anything other than the name. While gameplay-wise, three characters may add more selection, there is absolutely nothing more noteworthy regarding the IP by separating them into a classification they never had.
:4gaw:?

I mean the identity of :4gaw: was literally made up in Melee.

I mean at least the :4mii::4miif: are the stars of several successful franchises.

They have their identity as avatars. Even though they look different. One look tells you its a Mii, because even if there's no set look, they still have a recognizable identity.

:4gaw: didn't even have an identity.

Heck I don't even think there was a Game and Watch character that looked like :4gaw:.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Finally got to play the game yesterday! Wii U version am talking about, played it with the Classic Controller, which took me quite some time to get used to. But whoa, this game is amazing! Definitely enjoy it more than Brawl.

:4diddy: Is all I would ever want in a character. And I found out, Diddy isn't just strong for such a fast character. No, Diddy is just extremely fast for a power character! Love his aerial game, even though D Air is a lot harder to hit with. Also; even though U Air is really strong, I do not think he's the absolute best character. :4sheik: Is better. However, Diddy will forever by my main. Easily my most played character.

:4myfriends: will definitely be my secondary in this game. Feels real smooth, but wanted a little more power on F Tilt, AAA and F Air.

:4ness: is extremely fun! Will definitely use him a lot. Dat F Air! PK Fire is also amazing. Will also use him as a secondary.

:4robinm: is my most played newcomer, and he is just so strong! Why is the Levin Sword stronger than Ragnell now? Really love his playstyle. Had an awesome match against my friend's :4zelda:. I do think there's a lot of potential for this guy.

Speaking of :4zelda:: :4palutena: Is everything :4zelda: wishes she could be. She just really feels like Zelda on steroids. Very fun and challenging to fight against. That beam of light!

:4charizard: I just kept messing up with. I kept thinking Rock Smash is Side B, so I SD'd a LOT with Flare Blitz. Was bothered by how bad he is at jumping and recovering. Why doesn't he you know, FLY when using Fly?

:4villager: is just extremely silly. And surpringly fun. Even though his playstyle makes me hate him to, so much in fact that I want to lose. Planting trees in the middle of a battle is much more fun than I ever thought it would be.

:4falco: is really terrible now. Couldn't possibly be better than Mid Tier. :4fox: is really amazing though, a beefed up version of Brawl Fox. My favorite incarnation of the character yet. Even might pick him up for fun.

:4dk: doesn't feel as agile as he should. And really has bad grab range. Like the buff on Headbut, but they gave him some nerfs I don't like. Dash attack is sexy though. Don't like that he cannot really combo outof cargo... Feels somewhat better on the ground, but worse in the air. It shames me to say I had more fun with :4ness::4myfriends: and even :4robinm:.

:4bowser: is silly. Like his Up B. really strong now. Seems about as agile as DK now, which is something I don't like. Feels less brutish, but lives a lot longer than ever before.

:4samus: has received some buffs I really, really like. Charge Shot feels amazing, and even uncharged shots have their usage. KOing with Screw Attack is also really satisfying.

:4sheik: is the best character in the game. Haven't used her yet,but fought against her a lot. Best projectile and combo game in the roster. Easily my favorite character to fight against.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Finally got to play the game yesterday! Wii U version am talking about, played it with the Classic Controller, which took me quite some time to get used to. But whoa, this game is amazing! Definitely enjoy it more than Brawl.

:4diddy: Is all I would ever want in a character. And I found out, Diddy isn't just strong for such a fast character. No, Diddy is just extremely fast for a power character! Love his aerial game, even though D Air is a lot harder to hit with. Also; even though U Air is really strong, I do not think he's the absolute best character. :4sheik: Is better. However, Diddy will forever by my main. Easily my most played character.

:4myfriends: will definitely be my secondary in this game. Feels real smooth, but wanted a little more power on F Tilt, AAA and F Air.

:4ness: is extremely fun! Will definitely use him a lot. Dat F Air! PK Fire is also amazing. Will also use him as a secondary.

:4robinm: is my most played newcomer, and he is just so strong! Why is the Levin Sword stronger than Ragnell now? Really love his playstyle. Had an awesome match against my friend's :4zelda:. I do think there's a lot of potential for this guy.

Speaking of :4zelda:: :4palutena: Is everything :4zelda: wishes she could be. She just really feels like Zelda on steroids. Very fun and challenging to fight against. That beam of light!

:4charizard: I just kept messing up with. I kept thinking Rock Smash is Side B, so I SD'd a LOT with Flare Blitz. Was bothered by how bad he is at jumping and recovering. Why doesn't he you know, FLY when using Fly?

:4villager: is just extremely silly. And surpringly fun. Even though his playstyle makes me hate him to, so much in fact that I want to lose. Planting trees in the middle of a battle is much more fun than I ever thought it would be.

:4falco: is really terrible now. Couldn't possibly be better than Mid Tier. :4fox: is really amazing though, a beefed up version of Brawl Fox. My favorite incarnation of the character yet. Even might pick him up for fun.

:4dk: doesn't feel as agile as he should. And really has bad grab range. Like the buff on Headbut, but they gave him some nerfs I don't like. Dash attack is sexy though. Don't like that he cannot really combo outof cargo... Feels somewhat better on the ground, but worse in the air. It shames me to say I had more fun with :4ness::4myfriends: and even :4robinm:.

:4bowser: is silly. Like his Up B. really strong now. Seems about as agile as DK now, which is something I don't like. Feels less brutish, but lives a lot longer than ever before.

:4samus: has received some buffs I really, really like. Charge Shot feels amazing, and even uncharged shots have their usage. KOing with Screw Attack is also really satisfying.

:4sheik: is the best character in the game. Haven't used her yet,but fought against her a lot. Best projectile and combo game in the roster. Easily my favorite character to fight against.
Yeah, Robin is very fun to use. He's the newcomer I use the most followed by Shulk.

I've only ever used Diddy in one of the event matches, but I might try him out at some point just to see how he plays.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy is all about creating a flow for yourself. You must know when to use shield, which attacks to punish, and how to apply as much pressure on your opponent as possible. Quite something different from Robin, but I like Robin cause he's a bit more easy going. Diddy is a real aggressive trap setter, dashing all over the place, very mobile. If you want to use him, keep that in mind.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Frankly I thought the Brawl newcomers were pretty weak since a large chunk of them were plagued with questionable design choices

I have to agree with this. I was just thinking to myself that a Project M version of Smash 4 would probably make far fewer changes to the newcomers then the original PM did. I am sure there would be some tweaks (especially concerning recoveries,) but I feel like the newcomers in this game feel much more solid and polished then they did in Brawl.

Smash 4 has my favorite newcomers in that regard. They are all a lot of fun, and many of them feel insanely unique when compared to the returning roster.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
I have to agree with this. I was just thinking to myself that a Project M version of Smash 4 would probably make far fewer changes to the newcomers then the original PM did. I am sure there would be some tweaks (especially concerning recoveries,) but I feel like the newcomers in this game feel much more solid and polished then they did in Brawl.

Smash 4 has my favorite newcomers in that regard. They are all a lot of fun, and many of them feel insanely unique when compared to the returning roster.
I thought Brawl's newcomer roster was better because they had more 'Star Power' than Smash 4's, not their gameplay. It was easier to get hyped over them than Smash 4's.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I thought Brawl's newcomer roster was better because they had more 'Star Power' than Smash 4's, not their gameplay. It was easier to get hyped over them than Smash 4's.
At the end of the day the quality of the movelists > the character IPs. Smash 4's newcomers come with a lot of new gimmicks and mechanics that push them over their Brawl counter parts in my eyes.

I can agree with the star power comment, but as far as personal interest in the characters? I didn't really care about any of the Pokemon new comers, Diddy Kong, Dedede, Olimar, or Wario.

The most hype worthy newcomers for me in Brawl were Pit, Metaknight, and Zero Suit....and they were part of the reveal trailer. I also really liked Wolf and Lucas, but when the semi-clones end up in your top 5 then you know it is an underwhelming roster.

I got 6 out of my 10 most wanted in Smash 4. Shulk, Megaman, Palutena, Villager, Little Mac, and Lucina. Bowser Jr. and Robin ended up being super awesome to play as as well.

I completely understand people liking the Brawl newcomers more, but I personally like the Smash 4 roster (minus the Lucas and Wolf cuts) better.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
It really sucks that out of my most wanted characters are assist trophies :mad:. But besides that, I'm glad Sakurai came to his senses and put Palutena in. I actually thought her and Dark Pit were going to be assists too, and thats the kinda thing he would do. But She's the Zelda of Kid Icarus ya know. I wish she didn't remind me of Zelda sometimes though.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah, it's hard sometimes because people like to paint anyone that loves the roster as a Sakurai apologist, but I think (disregarding cuts) that the final result is fantastic.

This is a personal opinion, but I was one Ridley away from getting all of my top 5 most wanted characters, so I can't really complain.

(The remaining four in my top ten were Ridley, Takamaru, Isaac and K. Rool, for those wondering.)

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Yeah, it's hard sometimes because people like to paint anyone that loves the roster as a Sakurai apologist, but I think (disregarding cuts) that the final result is fantastic.

This is a personal opinion, but I was one Ridley away from getting all of my top 5 most wanted characters, so I can't really complain.

(The remaining four in my top ten were Ridley, Takamaru, Isaac and K. Rool, for those wondering.)
I think I've lost all hope for Isaac as of now. I..I just i don't even know if I should support him any longer.. Like him and even Saki would fit in perfectly and I've wanted them in since SSBB. And don't (not you specifically) give me the "they're not popular enough or don't have a future " speech, because there are a few examples of characters that Sakurai put in

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think I've lost all hope for Isaac as of now. I..I just i don't even know if I should support him any longer.. Like him and even Saki would fit in perfectly and I've wanted them in since SSBB. And don't (not you specifically) give me the "they're not popular enough or don't have a future " speech, because there are a few examples of characters that Sakurai put in
Both Saki and Isaac lived and died based on the performance of their post Brawl sequels. Neither of those games lived up to Nintendo's expectations, unfortunately. I still have hope for Isaac (maybe not as DLC, but in future installments,) but Sin and Punishment is so niche that I doubt we will ever see Saki.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Both Saki and Isaac lived and died based on the performance of their post Brawl sequels. Neither of those games lived up to Nintendo's expectations, unfortunately. I still have hope for Isaac (maybe not as DLC, but in future installments,) but Sin and Punishment is so niche that I doubt we will ever see Saki.
At the very least I feel he could have another plausible shot in Smash 5 seeing as GS actually has a realistic shot of getting a post-Smash 4 game based off Camelot's statement and the sales of the VC re-releases (it was how Sin and Punishment even got a sequel in the first place).

As for Sin and Punishment? I suppose that franchise could get a new post-Smash 4 game *shrugs*

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I can buy that Isaac, at least, was in the pool of potential candidates that may have been "low priority." There was really no reason to cut out his AT entirely, especially when protagonists from far lesser series became new ATs instead.

Does he even have a trophy anymore?

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I hate hate how my most wanted, excluding Palutena of course, (So Saki, Isaac, Shadow, and Lyn) have have close to zero chance being in any smash game!! I don't even know how i thought all of these could be in the same game at the same time as playable. I guess I don't think it through clearly.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I can buy that Isaac, at least, was in the pool of potential candidates that may have been "low priority." There was really no reason to cut out his AT entirely, especially when protagonists from far lesser series became new ATs instead.

Yeah, though I find it suspicious that he was cut as an AT and there's now two GS songs, I still don't think Isaac or any of his buddies will make it as DLC. But that's just me

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Golden Sun has two pieces of content, full stop.

The track that played on Norfair in Brawl remains, along with a new track from Dark Dawn.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think the fate of Isaac and potentially other "irrelevant" characters hinge on how DLC is handled. I don't think they're ruled out entirely if DLC is sold on a character-by-character basis, but that they do have far better odds if DLC is sold in multi-character bundles, where they can ride the coattails of other, "relevant" characters, so to speak.

In other news, I think the Pokemon Trainer himself might just be the best possible candidate for a Pokemon newcomer next game. Let him become basically Mega Man, using Pokemon for most of his normal attacks instead of boss weapons, along with his bike, a fishing line, and Pokeballs as well.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I just want to know how DLC characters are handled, so speculation can go even further and we at least have some kind of basis. I think multi-character bundles are by far the most likely if Sakurai wants to add more niche (or less popularly requested) characters like what he did in the base game.
:4duckhunt::4drmario::4darkpit::4villager:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Isaac has no trophy, but GS does have two music tracks so we know that Nintendo isn't actively avoiding the franchise.

Excite Bike, Isaac, Barbara the Bat, and Ray MK III all seem like very odd cuts considering who was kept.

Excite Bike in particular seems like a strange omission.... the franchise is a super popular retro franchise. So popular, in fact, that it got it's own track in Mario Kart 8. On top of that, the franchise had 3 new games last gen (Excite Trucks, Excite Bots, and Excitebike World Rally are all titles on the Wii) and the original NES game was the very first 3DS 3D classic.

I can see all 4 of those cut ATs being character that had been considered as newcomers at some point, so there may be some merit in them not being Assist Trophies this time around.

Or, you know, they could have been cut randomly the same way certain poke ball Pokemon are. I'm personally hoping for the first thing.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I just want to know how DLC characters are handled, so speculation can go even further and we at least have some kind of basis. I think multi-character bundles are by far the most likely if Sakurai wants to add more niche (or less popularly requested) characters like what he did in the base game.
:4duckhunt::4drmario::4darkpit::4villager:
That seems like the most likely scenario at this point in time.

I'm wondering if they'll be themed, too, in that case. I'd kill for a "Bad Guy Bash" or "Forgotten Favourites" pack.

On another note entirely, the amount of Spanish guitar in this game is wonderful.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
On another note entirely, the amount of Spanish guitar in this game is wonderful.
Actually, it seems like there's a greater diversity is musical styles and instrumentation overall in this game.

Naturally, the result is simply fantastic.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Actually, it seems like there's a greater diversity is musical styles and instrumentation overall in this game.

Naturally, the result is simply fantastic.
muh spanish guitars

muh trumpets

muh lectrick guitars

muh errything else

<3 <3 <3 <3

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Isaac has no trophy, but GS does have two music tracks so we know that Nintendo isn't actively avoiding the franchise.

Excite Bike, Isaac, Barbara the Bat, and Ray MK III all seem like very odd cuts considering who was kept.
That's the one thing that gives me pause about Isaac being cut due to being planned (for the main roster or DLC). . .I can buy that one, maybe two of those others (plus Jill and the Helirin) were planned, but all of them? That's more doubtful, which makes me think maybe he just got the short end of the stick, getting lumped in with them as a lower priority AT.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
That's the one thing that gives me pause about Isaac being cut due to being planned (for the main roster or DLC). . .I can buy that one, maybe two of those others (plus Jill and the Helirin) were planned, but all of them? That's more doubtful, which makes me think maybe he just got the short end of the stick, getting lumped in with them as a lower priority AT.
The only theory I have seen on any of those cuts that make sense is Ray MK-III being too small to work effectively on the 3DS screen and being scrapped in both due to parity.

I can't see a reason for any of the other cuts (although I don't too many people are grieving over Helirin.)

Staarih

Smash Master
The only theory I have seen on any of those cuts that make sense is Ray MK-III being too small to work effectively on the 3DS screen and being scrapped in both due to parity.

I can't see a reason for any of the other cuts (although I don't too many people are grieving over Helirin.)
I recall Excitebike being quite a hectic Assist Trophy so I wouldn't be surprised if it was cut due to the 3DS as well.
For the others, I'm with you: no idea.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
When you guys talk about character bundles how do you think it would work? Multiple characters being released at once (if so how many and would they be able to be purchased separately?) or taking already released DLC characters and later releasing them together in a bundle, and how many? Would the bundled characters have to be connected in certain ways like be from the same franchise or being cut Brawl characters or could they be bundled without having much of a connection? I just want a better understanding on how people view it.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Them are fighting words.
Well from a technical standpoint there is merit to the claim.

The first problem with the concept as a whole is that fact that you have to handle three characters at the same time, which from a balancing standpoint is daunting since the premise is that every character should be used for the right situation, and having one character be dominate from the others would ruin the fundamental of the concept. Unfortunately the concept as a whole falls apart by default since unlike a stance character in traditional fighting games a lot of momentum is lost between switching the characters, disrupting flow and can easily create a bad situation, which also similarly effected Zelda and Sheik and to a lesser extent Samus and Zamus. Hence why staying with a character is normally better then switching in Super Smash Bros.

However, the Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon were also bogged down by a lot of tacked on mechanics. The premise of the mechanics was to switch between characters, since if you stayed with a particular character for too long you'll get penalty in the form of fatigue. Also you're forced to switch to another character every time you're KO'd, which depending on the situation could put you in a worse position. Like I mentioned previously staying with a character is the better solution most of the time, since certain characters would handle match ups better, at least in concept. Keep in mind that, in concept, each Pokemon focuses on a certain playstyle. Squirtle is very agile relying on fast weak attacks to rack up damage, Ivysaur is a jack of all trades with range game, and Charizard packs raw power. However, you might notice that I've said "in concept" several times, because the execution is underwhelming. The three Pokemon were half baked, probably due to the complications of trying to balance out three characters in one, meaning that despite the different playstyles the entire package would often times under preform more then expected. The type match up system is also at best pointless since it only effected mirror matches, and at worst was polarizing since Ivysaur was heavily hindered by the excessive amount of fire based attacks while conversely Squirtle was resilient to them.

I was actually grateful Charizard went to become a solo fighter just for the sake of fleshing out the character more and removing the unnecessary complications, and in a similar vein Zelda/Sheik and Samus/Zamus also being split up and gaining new tools because of it. However it's important to remember that a stance system is not an inherent problem; quote the contrary they can be great. The problem with transformation characters is that often times the gameplay style between the characters would be polarizing, which disrupts flow and enforces that staying with a character works better, and the transformations themselves often being slow and predictable. Which is why I think Shulk being a more proper example of a stance character works better then any of the transformations, since he can jump in and out of each Art quickly and despite the changes to his attributes does not violate the fundamentals of his moves.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
When you guys talk about character bundles how do you think it would work? Multiple characters being released at once (if so how many and would they be able to be purchased separately?) or taking already released DLC characters and later releasing them together in a bundle, and how many? Would the bundled characters have to be connected in certain ways like be from the same franchise or being cut Brawl characters or could they be bundled without having much of a connection? I just want a better understanding on how people view it.
Either / or, really. It depends on how they want to go about it.

If they want to include a "big ticket" character and some "fringe interest" characters as DLC, then packs from the get-go would be the way to do it. That way you can get a brand new character like Isaac or K. Rool with a couple of easier-to-make veterans like Lucas and Wolf.

Alternatively, they can go with themes. I'm thinking of something like a "bad guys" pack (K. Rool, Ridley, Wolf) or a "veterans" pack (Wolf, Lucas, Snake).

Or they could prioritise detail and uniqueness and include a select few characters. Veterans could be redesigned to have their own unique movesets, then, and appear as their own full-fledged characters.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't remember who made these, but they are a regular Smashboards poster.

Something like that I would imagine. Notice the packs include stages as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom