• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The direct didn't really upper or lower anyone's chances, but considering that we're getting close to the Mewtwo DLC release, I don't think we'll see anything on how he works until he's given out.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I just realized....

This has a remix of Winning Road (Roy's Hope) in it...

Coincidence?

Maybe.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
#Team clearly you guys are forgetting that the new FE Lord is a shoe-in because muhrelevancy.

The future is Chrom.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm pretty sure that, hypothetically speaking, Kamui would get in over either of the Lords in FE14 anyway.

There's two of them, so it'd be a bit arbitrary to pick one over the other, and thus far, they don't seem to do much other than fighting with swords (and riding a horse if you're the blonde guy). Granted, it's too early to say what Kamui can do that Robin can't, but I'd say they'd probably follow in a Robin sort of fashion if Kamui does indeed turn out to be more interesting and diverse than either of them.

Or we could have Blondelord, Moonlord and Kamui altogether~

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
#Team clearly you guys are forgetting that the new FE Lord is a shoe-in because muhrelevancy.

The future is Chrom.
Only reason Chrom (along with Robin) was considered in the first place was because of muhrelevancy... and only reason Chrom was not added (but Robin was added) was because he wasn't that unique compared to Marth and Ike (and Robin is pretty unique).

This new FE Lord will be considered solely because of muhrelevancy... but if the new FE Lord isn't unique, he or she won't get in.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Only reason Chrom (along with Robin) was considered in the first place was because of muhrelevancy... and only reason Chrom was not added (but Robin was added) was because he wasn't that unique compared to Marth and Ike (and Robin is pretty unique).

This new FE Lord will be considered solely because of muhrelevancy... but if the new FE Lord isn't unique, he or she won't get in.
I was making a jab at everyone thinking that every brand new character is definitely going to be in Smash.

Suddenly being old means that the character should be thrown away and forgotten. Even though we got Duck Hunt. :4duckhunt:

There's always a bandwagon to jump on.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, but DHD was the sole exception.... but yes, you are right, there is always a bandwagon to jump on. All you have to do is watch what BluePikmin11 does. :troll:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?

If you played FE Awakening, then I don't see how he wasn't unique. He wouldn't be a clone of Ike or Marth. For example Chrom's Aether isn't at all like Ike's. I actually believe he's a strong candidate for DLC, but that's a different story.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If you played FE Awakening, then I don't see how he wasn't unique. He wouldn't be a clone of Ike or Marth. For example Chrom's Aether isn't at all like Ike's. I actually believe he's a strong candidate for DLC, but that's a different story.
Perhaps he could have been unique, but would he really have stood out? Could he have offered something truly significant to Smash?

My answer to that is no. While he could have been given a move set that was different from Marth and Ike, it wouldn't have been significantly so. At best, he probably would have just been a middle-ground between Marth and Ike. Furthermore, he would have done little to diversify the Fire Emblem roster, and would only perpetuate the misconception that the Fire Emblem series is just a bunch of blue-haired swordsmen.

On that note, I believe Chrom's chances as a DLC character are dead and buried. I honestly think he's one of the least likely candidates imaginable at this point.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Chrom is already a part of Robin's final smash. He's got as much hope of becoming playable as any of the assist trophies.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Perhaps he could have been unique, but would he really have stood out? Could he have offered something truly significant to Smash?

My answer to that is no. While he could have been given a move set that was different from Marth and Ike, it wouldn't have been significantly so. At best, he probably would have just been a middle-ground between Marth and Ike. Furthermore, he would have done little to diversify the Fire Emblem roster, and would only perpetuate the misconception that the Fire Emblem series is just a bunch of blue-haired swordsmen.

On that note, I believe Chrom's chances as a DLC character are dead and buried. I honestly think he's one of the least likely candidates imaginable at this point.
Hmm, I guess I do see your point. And at first I they would have cut Ike for Micaiah or Chrom's sake. I thought Ike would only go as far as brawl. But what they did was just update Ike's appearance to look older from his second game.

As for the DLC thing, I thought "Hmm, Chrom has a complete working character model, and even his voice in SSB4. It'd be waste not having him as DLC after Mewtwo" but oh well.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Chrom is already a part of Robin's final smash. He's got as much hope of becoming playable as any of the assist trophies.
Funny you just said that, because I've heard that if an AT becomes playable as DLC, then their AT wouldn't come out when you summon an AT. Even though hat sounds totally ridiculous, I wouldn't care. If Saki ever became playable in SSB4... oh my gosh I would die

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Hmm, I guess I do see your point. And at first I they would have cut Ike for Micaiah or Chrom's sake. I thought Ike would only go as far as brawl. But what they did was just update Ike's appearance to look older from his second game.

As for the DLC thing, I thought "Hmm, Chrom has a complete working character model, and even his voice in SSB4. It'd be waste not having him as DLC after Mewtwo" but oh well.
Based on Sakurai's comments on Chrom, he mentioned that Chrom lacked any unique characteristics between Marth and Ike. The fact that he said that, and made no mention of possibly removing Ike for Chrom, would suggest that Ike was never heavily considered for being cut in the first place.

And frankly, it would take more of an effort to make Chrom playable than most characters. Sure, he has a model and some voice clips, but the model isn't as polished as an actual character model and isn't designed as such; it would need a fair amount of work to make it suitable for playability. Furthermore, they'd have to retcon all instances of Chrom in the game to account for him becoming playable: that includes Robin's Final Smash, Robin's victory pose, Palutena's guidance (which is essentially explaining why Chrom wasn't playable), the opening cutscene, etc. That's a ton of work for a character Skakurai already outright rejected.

Funny you just said that, because I've heard that if an AT becomes playable as DLC, then their AT wouldn't come out when you summon an AT. Even though hat sounds totally ridiculous, I wouldn't care. If Saki ever became playable in SSB4... oh my gosh I would die
Well, I think that's one fan suggestion, but that's just an idea. No one knows if they would actually do something like that.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
Based on Sakurai's comments on Chrom, he mentioned that Chrom lacked any unique characteristics between Marth and Ike. The fact that he said that, and made no mention of possibly removing Ike for Chrom, would suggest that Ike was never heavily considered for being cut in the first place.

And frankly, it would take more of an effort to make Chrom playable than most characters. Sure, he has a model and some voice clips, but the model isn't as polished as an actual character model and isn't designed as such; it would need a fair amount of work to make it suitable for playability. Furthermore, they'd have to retcon all instances of Chrom in the game to account for him becoming playable: that includes Robin's Final Smash, Robin's victory pose, Palutena's guidance (which is essentially explaining why Chrom wasn't playable), the opening cutscene, etc. That's a ton of work for a character Skakurai already outright rejected.

Well, I think that's one fan suggestion, but that's just an idea. No one knows if they would actually do something like that.
Huh...Oh, I forgot about all of those defects. Eh We can just kiss Chrom goodbye then. Although I would prefer to be Chrom than Lucina, He wasn't the number one person that i wanted.
And even though I think it sounds awesome to make ATs playable, I seriously doubt they would go through that much effort to at least make one AT playable that is already one in the same game. I'll just get used to seeing some of my favorite ATs (that I wanted playable) for about ten seconds then seeing them vanish..

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
To be fair, people keep going on about how Chrom isn't unique when we have Lucina.
My interpretation is thusly:

Chrom has more unique potential than Lucina. Ergo, it would be a great injustice to throw him in as a last-minute clone.

Lucina was intended to be an alt and nothing more. The fact that she got in as a separate character at all is an anomaly and never intended from the outset.

Ergo, Lucina is the exception that proves the rule.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
To be fair, people keep going on about how Chrom isn't unique when we have Lucina.
Though to be fair, she was only added because she was an easy addition when they had a little extra time, not because she was unique.

At this point, Chrom wouldn't be an easy addition or a truly unique character.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I'm going to say, if we ever get a rhythm heaven characters, it's a three way race between Karate Joe, Wrestler, and...Chorus Kids.

Yeah, I said it.

For some reason, Nintendo really likes to promote chorus kids.

Karate Joe, Wrestler, and Chrous kids were the ones featured in the new rhythm heaven trailer. Chorus Kids, Karate Joe, and Wrestler all got trophies in smash. And only Marshall has been left out (I think), but he is another type of chrous kid.

I'm telling you guys, they are all a possibility gematsu leak or not. DLC, Smash 5, or none Rhythm heaven rep at all.

In terms of likelihood if we do get a rhythm heaven character at all and if this happen for Smash 5 are:

3. Karate Joe 2. Wrestler 1. Chorus Kids.

Karate Joe doesn't add that much new on his own. Chrous kids has more unique potential then Wrestler, but the internet meme Wrestler basically started could be enough to get him more noticed.

I'm prepare to be crucified now.

Also thank god marshall was established not to be the Chorus kids in his trophy description. Might be alts though.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Chrom's chances is on par with Ridley's right now.
I would contest this, sir. Sakurai talks of Ridley as if he tried to make him playable, and just could not find a way that pleased him. My personal stance is that he was working on Ridley from the April direct on, and ultimately decided it would not work.

He talks of Chrom, rigorously, as if he just scoffed and turned the other way. Constantly Chrom is being mocked in Directs and by Sakurai's statements; Sakurai does not respect the idea of Chrom even entering the ring.

If Sakurai woke up from a dream inspired on Ridley, we could get him added. Or, they may even be testing play now. Or not. But Chrom, they wouldn't even bother the attempt.
Not comparable at all.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Hey, can someone who hasn't taken Shortie's poll do me a favour please and go to this link (because I cannot see the choices due to already taking the poll), go to Shortie's DLC poll and copy& paste the choices to the new poll thread I have made?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My conclusion: we will probably not get either Chrom or Ridley.

If there's gonna be a real solid new Metroid character in the upcoming Metroid game who will get a lot of popularity, Sakurai is gonna add that character. And how much I hope it's gonna be Anthony Higgs. :4miigun: already carries a perfect base moveset for him. Throw in a bit of :snake:, and give him the ice element on some attacks and we're good.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Sakurai only seems to add 'new characters who just made an appearance' in series where characters don't use recurring characters much.
I'm tired of these arguments that a one-off character in a series like Metroid or Zelda holds any gravity just because new characters were used for Fire Emblem and Pokemon.

A new character would have to revolutionize the series for good in either of those cases.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I do really hope we'd get more classes to play as in next Smashes foremost tho- I mean, Robin's still a great first step, but I'd be laughing my ass off if Kamui was just a silver-haired swordsman like the last FE-rep before it. Lances would be a sweet start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom