• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
GUYS.
I don't know how many people have proposed Mew as a character.
But I want him.. badly.

Mew : Mewtwo :: Toon Link : Link

He would be a clone of Mewtwo, but tiny and fast. Just as Link's kick's didnt translate to TL, the tail animations would be edited, bt ultimately, it would be such a joyous fanatacism.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
GUYS.
But I want him.. badly.

He would be a clone of Mewtwo, but tiny and fast. Just as Link's kick's didnt translate to TL, the tail animations would be edited, bt ultimately, it would be such a joyous fanatacism.
Must .... resist .... making.... the ... "No more clones".. joke,

But seriously, that'd be great.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
GUYS.
But I want him.. badly.

He would be a clone of Mewtwo

I call bull****. Mew can learn any TM move, so Sakurai would probably take advantage of that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
GUYS.
But I want him.. badly.
clone of Mewtwo
Um...I think you got it backwards...

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
GUYS.
But I want him.. badly.

I wouldn't mind seeing that happening. Though I don't know if it would happen this iteration...

I call bull****. Mew can learn any TM move, so Sakurai would probably take advantage of that.
Personally it would make more sense to use a Mewtwo-esque moveset. They are related after all...

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
GUYS.
But I want him.. badly.

I can see Mew floating around high speed SuperSonicStyle.

Am not dissapointed.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think Mew as a clone would be a lot more fan worthy than Pichu.
Two legendaries.
One being incredibly adorable, the other incredibly badass.
Developed simultaneously.
Almost an apology to fans for not having Mewtwo in the main game or in Brawl

I now need to rethink the entiety of what I want out of SSB in Pokemon reps; I'm floored by how much I want this cute little guy in.
But then.... I'd be remiss about Squirtle even more, not getting to ever faceoff two of my absolute favorite Pokemon.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Could Chorus Kids be DL? Sakurai mentioning Bowser Jr. almost not making it in the game due to time constraints. What if Chorus Kids were on the list, but ultimately scrapped.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Nah, if a pokemon with the capacity to learn any TM move was to be added as a playable character,nether would have to take advantage of that versatility. Otherwise he's like Shulk without the Monado.
I don't remember that being the biggest part of its character. Besides, in that case where's Toon Link's Deku Leaf?

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Could Chorus Kids be DL? Sakurai mentioning Bowser Jr. almost not making it in the game due to time constraints. What if Chorus Kids were on the list, but ultimately scrapped.
I'm guessing that the reason Chorus Kids aren't in the game is due to a similar problem to the Ice Climbers, they caused considerable lag/crashes as they strained the hardware. If they can fix that, I think they have a chance.

Although I'd much rather have Reporter and Wrestler.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I used the Monado as an example for shulk because that's what makes Shulk stand out as a character. The Deku leaf doesn't really make Toon Link stand out at all.
Nor does Mew using every TM. Heck, it would be more pointless than anything.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Then explain why about 99.9% of all other pokemon can't learn every single TM move
Because they weren't programmed to do so.
And to add to my point, apart from a reference here and there, Pokemon itself doesn't advertise Mew knowing every TM as a major strength. So if the franchise that made it doesn't care that much about it, why would Sakurai?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Because they weren't programmed to do so.
And to add to my point, apart from a reference here and there, Pokemon itself doesn't advertise Mew knowing every TM as a major strength. So if the franchise that made it doesn't care that much about it, why would Sakurai?
Besides that, it's not like you couldn't modify Mew's specials to look like a whole different set of moves, not to mention the fact they could Mew Metronome and call it a day.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Mew can learn all TMs. Fact.
Is it a defining trait of his? No.
Every detail of a character cannot be added just because it is true.

Midna appeared as an Assist Trophy but not Wolf Link.

The amount of games a character has appeared in is irrelevant because if Sheik :sheikmelee: is anything to go by potential unique moveset influence the deciding factor unless you were the director of the Super Smash Bros series.
Sheik, while her own character, would not have been a character if she had not been tied to Zelda in the first place.
The number of games is not entirely relevant in Smash, but it certainly is for Zelda as a franchise- we have only seen characters with considerable necessity to the timeline and epicism of the entire history of Hyrule in Smash.

If a one-hit wonder surpassed that point, I'm sure it would be in. Ghirahim and Midna do not do this. Number of games may not be the causation for a characters irrelevance, but there i definitely a direct correlation.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Every detail of a character cannot be added just because it is true.Sheik, while her own character, would not have been a character if she had not been tied to Zelda in the first place.
The number of games is not entirely relevant in Smash, but it certainly is for Zelda as a franchise- we have only seen characters with considerable necessity to the timeline and epicism of the entire history of Hyrule in Smash.
If a one-hit wonder surpassed that point, I'm sure it would be in. Ghirahim and Midna do not do this. Number of games may not be the causation for a characters irrelevance, but there i definitely a direct correlation.
You have no proof that Sheik wouldn't have been playable if she wasn't Zelda. None. There's just as much in me saying that Sheik would've been a shoo-in as a separate character.
Just like there is not a direct correlation between being a one-time character and not being in Smash. That's just making a pattern, and I think it's quite obvious that Sakurai takes patterns and gives them a painful death.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sheik's defining traits are she is a skilled harpist and that she is really Zelda. That much was made clearer in Hyrule Warriors. If Sheik shows up in a future Zelda game and turns out to be NOT Zelda, I will be genuinely surprised.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Sheik's defining traits are she is a skilled harpist and that she is really Zelda. That much was made clearer in Hyrule Warriors. If Sheik shows up in a future Zelda game and turns out to be NOT Zelda, I will be genuinely surprised.
Maybe thats who you play as in Zelda U?

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I've always thought that DLC woudl feature some characters that were on the list for inclusion, but also low in priority. The fact that Bowser Jr. is an example of this, except that he just barely made it in, makes it that much more likely IMO. I'm betting the list they make is longer than what can feasibly be done, but is ordered by priority. Should there be enough time, they just go down the list and add the characters they can. The characters were probably finished in a similar order as they were announced (probably barring some they saved to announce at the second E3), which would go in line with this theory. Mega Man, Villager, and WFT would all probably be high on the priority list (the latter two due to their place in more recent Nintendo sales), where Bowser Jr., the clones, and possibly DHD were finished last due to being lower on the list.

But that might just be because I really want characters like Chibi Robo (especially Chibi Robo), that are relatively important, but maybe not as important as the characters that were included.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
GUYS.
But I want him.. badly.

The more the merrier. If Sakurai could somehow create a team that would handle all DLC character content in the department of clones, and they would keep adding a few characters a year. Say, 2-3 I'd be more than down for that!

They should even maybe have voting polls for possible clone DLC characters. I'd only want them to make sence however, be worthy characters in their own rights, and have an unique trait that sets them off from their 'base' character. Which was basically what Sakurai stated before.

Sakurai himself could then focus on unique characters that take more time. Like Mewtwo. Characters that come to mind immediately are King K.Rool and Isaac. And probably some other new IP characters maybe.

Am all for the more the merrier. If this could be the last Smash Bros., I want it to last forever.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Ok. I've only said this in the social thread, but in the direct tomorrow morning I don't expect any new DLC character announcements. I do however expect them to cover some of the information about Mewtwo, so I'm not entirely pessimistic about Smash's involvement in the direct.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd like to say I don't expect anything... I reasonably could see there being no information...
but the Monkey Mind in me wants Smash information so badly that it may override a sense of expectation, because ultimately it will be upsetting to hear nothing about Smash bros. I'm not on a Metroid or Pikmin forum, afterall.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I have decided to take over the task of making and running the Smash polls. Go check out the thread if you are particularly interested in poll-related discussions and stuff.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I've always thought that DLC woudl feature some characters that were on the list for inclusion, but also low in priority. The fact that Bowser Jr. is an example of this, except that he just barely made it in, makes it that much more likely IMO. I'm betting the list they make is longer than what can feasibly be done, but is ordered by priority. Should there be enough time, they just go down the list and add the characters they can. The characters were probably finished in a similar order as they were announced (probably barring some they saved to announce at the second E3), which would go in line with this theory. Mega Man, Villager, and WFT would all probably be high on the priority list (the latter two due to their place in more recent Nintendo sales), where Bowser Jr., the clones, and possibly DHD were finished last due to being lower on the list.

But that might just be because I really want characters like Chibi Robo (especially Chibi Robo), that are relatively important, but maybe not as important as the characters that were included.
So like the ones that didn't make Brawl (Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Plusle and Minun, Dr. Mario, Mewtwo, and Roy.)

Of those seven, Mewtwo and Doc are already in.

Toon Zelda seems a lot less likely as the last Toon game was a re-release. (Though the one before that does have a 3DS stage and Zelda's new down B is taken right from the toon games).

Roy seems less likely because of Lucina and the nature of Fire Emblem protagonists. (I will exclude Marth and Ike from this rule as Marth was the first one, and Ike was the first one after returning to main consoles from portables in the series as well as the first main console Lord to cross the ocean to American release. Lyn/Hector/Eliwood have that title overall.) Though Roy is the first Fire Emblem protagonist on a portable console (so he does have some kind of a shot), I still view him as unlikely. Though not as much as when I started writing this post, so hey.

Plusle and Minun... If we can get them, we can have Ice Climbers. And I'd rather have Ice Climbers.

Lookin' reaaaaal good for Dixie Kong right about now.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Tingle confirmed for Hyrule Warriors! He is like my most-wanted Zelda character for Hyrule Warriors!!! YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Soon, you all will realize how awesome Tingle would have been as a playable character in Smash... and Tingle will be redeemed in the West once they see how awesome he really is!!!

Impa AND Tingle for SSB5!!!!!

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Tingle confirmed for Hyrule Warriors! He is like my most-wanted Zelda character for Hyrule Warriors!!! YEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

Soon, you all will realize how awesome Tingle would have been as a playable character in Smash... and Tingle will be redeemed in the West once they see how awesome he really is!!!

Impa AND Tingle for SSB5!!!!!
I'm sure Tingle will be fun in that game. But of all Zelda characters that would be awesome to play, like a Toon pack with Tetra and Byrne... we get Tingle. :ohwell:

I'm happy for the new character, I just am not a fan of Tingle. He kept stealing my force gems, the dirty balloon riding thief.

Edit: I just looked at some screenshots and am now hyped for him. He just seems so casually thrilled to finally be fighting.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I'm not really a FE guy. Which is weird because I love Advance Wars. Except for Days of Ruin, which we do not acknowledge.
Why not acknowledge days of ruin? I'd put it as less fun than Dual Strike, but still an improvement over both GBA titles. But that's just because Dual Strike was perfection for that series in my eyes.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Advance Wars talk?

I wish Intelligent Systems would work on a new Advance Wars game for the 3DS. Imagine how gorgeous it would look if it had the same cel-shaded art style as both Fire Emblem 3DS games.

And a new Advance Wars game could help boost the franchise's chances of getting a character in SSB5.

Infantry Unit for Smash!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well, the only Smash related thing I got out of this was that if Mewtwo isn't shown at Apex, he's not going to be seen until late March / Early-Mid April in the next Direct (assuming Sakurai doesn't just go ahead and announce a trailer being released for him separate from everything else like he did for Robin, Captain Falcon, and Lucina).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom