• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
It's always my fault. Every new community I join, sorry bidoof.
It's ok.
I was guess I was angry at the moment for some reason, and I did sound quite mean looking back at it.

I apologize.

Welcome to SmashBoards.

If only...

I actually imagine that RARE themselves would be perfectly happy to add Banjo in SSB4, but honestly, I don't see Nintendo even asking unless there was...well, to be blunt, a possibility they could get Banjo-Kazooie games. But seeing as Grunty's Revenge was released on GBA after the franchise was sold to Microsoft, maybe that's not impossible.
Yeah, but that's Grunty's Revenge.

I don think that even counts as a Banjo-Kazooie game.
It had a top-down perspective.
Eh.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Banjo-Kazooie not being in Smash as well not being on a Nintendo system was a travesty. That and Perfect Dark. Back before Melee, Joanna was my most wanted newcomer during the Melee hype.
Travesty's certainly a good word for it.
I actually don't have a thing for Rare, but I can see easily why people hated that acquisition.

Hmmmm......

Well Nintendo did say that there are considering mergers and acquisitions.
The pieces are finally coming together. The stars are aligning.
Soon.
Soon.
At E3, Nintendo shall announce they are acquiring Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, and Battletoads, and subsequently, announce Banjo-Kazooie for SSB4. Make it happen, Sakurai.

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
It's ok.
I was guess I was angry at the moment for some reason, and I did sound quite mean looking back at it.

I apologize.

Welcome to SmashBoards.

Yeah, but that's Grunty's Revenge.

I don think that even counts as a Banjo-Kazooie game.
It had a top-down perspective.
Eh.
Grunty's Revenge while not amazing is 100% better then the other unmentionable sequel.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
nah, sabrewulf wouldn't make it he is a too of a blood thirsty character. banjo joanna mumbo grunty are perfect, but what about james bond?
James Bond might pose licensing and legal obstacles, since he's part of the broader Bond franchise. But having the Goldeneye Bond would be fun, if said obstacles aren't an issue.

The reason I picked Sabrewulf is because he did not originate in Killer Instinct, the KI character is based off of one of Rare's old, old games Sabre Wulf. So technically, he would be eligible, even if in his KI form. Spinal all the way for KI rep.

It's a shame that Jet Force Gemini never got a sequel, but at least it lives on in spirit with the Ratchet and Clank games. Speaking of which, JFG did that game formula first, yet Ratchet tends to get the credit for it. That's a bit annoying.
I'm only familiar with Sabre Wulf via Sabre Man, who appeared in Banjo-Tooie. Not having touched KI, I didn't know Sabre Wulf was in it. Having Sabre Man and Wulf both be in a Super Rareware Brothers game would be most fitting, anyway.

JFG could have been a Cartoony Mass Effect by this point. Its lack of follow-up is a shame indeed.

samoxnar

Smash Cadet
NNID
SamOxnar
I actually don't have a thing for Rare, but I can see easily why people hated that acquisition.

At E3, Nintendo shall announce they are acquiring Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, and Battletoads, and subsequently, announce Banjo-Kazooie for SSB4. Make it happen, Sakurai.
Battletoads 3 Confirmed

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
At E3, Nintendo shall announce they are acquiring Banjo-Kazooie, Conker, and Battletoads, and subsequently, announce Banjo-Kazooie for SSB4. Make it happen, Sakurai.[/quote]

That would be like Christmas in ... June.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master

Someone's setting himself up for disappointment.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Yes plz.

I can actually see this happening.
Even though it is a pretty RARE chance!

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Someone's setting himself up for disappointment.
I am but a messenger of things not to come.
Though if that did happen, I wouldn't care about my most wanted characters due to the sheer awesomeness.

Also, if they did aquire the rights and included Banjo, they wouldn't announce him until later than.

Peekolow

Smash Cadet
if only sakurai went on his knees with iwata and miyamoto at microsoft headquarters and begged for banjo. if banjo was confirmed i would run out of my house.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The Proximity Mine, the Motion Sensor Bomb and Invisibility Cloak are from Perfect Dark.
Only in the Japanese version of Melee, any references were changed when it was ported over. Though Rare was still mentioned in the credits, and that makes me cry.

Banjo confirmed for Sonic of SSB4. He'll come at the cost of Mewtwo and Chrom. :troll: Zero ****s would be given from me.

...Wait. Sonic was added last minute because of his massive fan demand...

Seriously, why are we not all shouting Banjo at Nintendo and Sakurai? Someone should start a damned Kickstarter for this.

if only sakurai went on his knees with iwata and miyamoto at microsoft headquarters and begged for banjo. if banjo was confirmed i would run out of my house.
I would die. Is it possible to die from pure joy? That would probably be the single greatest moment in my life, anyway.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
When Melee was being released, I thought he might have been included.
I didn't even have internet when Melee was in development so I would never know lol. Not to mention I was only 6 years old when Melee came out.

And yeah, BK's best chance in being in Smash was SSB64 (he was even rumored to be playable at one point). Once Rare went to Microsoft, all hopes for that went down the drain.

Last edited:

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
Only in the Japanese version of Melee, any references were changed when it was ported over. Though Rare was still mentioned in the credits, and that makes me cry.

Banjo confirmed for Sonic of SSB4. He'll come at the cost of Mewtwo and Chrom. :troll: Zero ****s would be given from me.

...Wait. Sonic was added last minute because of his massive fan demand...

Seriously, why are we not all shouting Banjo at Nintendo and Sakurai? Someone should start a damned Kickstarter for this.

I would die. Is it possible to die from pure joy? That would probably be the single greatest moment in my life, anyway.
I would be so happy if Banjo got in, and would like to see the fans go crazy over him.
I didn't even have internet when Melee was in development so I would never know lol. Not to mention I was only 6 years old when Melee came out.

And yeah, BK's best chance in being in Smash was SSB64 (he was even rumored to be playable at one point). Once Rare went to Microsoft, all hopes for that went down the drain.
Still can't believe Rare went to M$.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I vote for nothing.

But yes, Square almost definitely would use it more for current promotion than retro nostalgia...so I guess Sora would have a shot as well as Lightning. Urgh.
Crono from Chrono Trigger or a Chocobo & Slime team would be nice... Cecil from Final Fantasy 4 gets my vote... and so does Yangus from Dragon Quest 8. But yeah, no Square Enix characters... especially Sora and Geno (I want both Geno and Mallow or nothing).

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Crono from Chrono Trigger or a Chocobo & Slime team would be nice... Cecil from Final Fantasy 4 gets my vote... and so does Yangus from Dragon Quest 8. But yeah, no Square Enix characters... especially Sora and Geno (I want both Geno and Mallow or nothing).
I vote 4 Clood Stif.
-Filthy Casual

But seriously, I'd pick a FF1 hero, or even better, a team of them.
This was actually the very first idea I had for a newcomer on here!
It was a swapping team of Black Mage, Monk, and Warrior.
It would be like Pokémon Trainer, but switching from a Magic User, to a Fist-Fighter, to a Axe/Heavy Sword User, then back to magic.

Maybe I'll actually start getting this idea popular when Smash 5 speculation starts, and maybe it will have a chance, since Square-Enix should be the #1 pick for 3rd parties at that time.
I'd also bring up Fawful and Gary Oak's popularity with it too, but that's irrelevant. (And also Sandbag, if he doesn't make it in Smash 4)

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I would be so happy if Banjo got in, and would like to see the fans go crazy over him.

Still can't believe Rare went to M$.
I think it was Nintendo idea to sell it to Microsoft. Their was some issue between Rare and Nintendo that led to it happening.

It's a shame really. Once Rare went to Microsoft, they were doomed right from the get go.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
This doesn't matter much, buit some mid game predictions.

There are 4 characters I expect to be in.
Palutena
Dixie
Ridley
Shulk

As far as the first three, they are very important characters in their respective series and they have appeared in the most recent games of the series where they all had a major role. Shulk on the other hand, is from a new series. There aren't many other series with the same caliber. Though the series is small, it's not due to disinterest. Copies can go upward of 90 dollar or more. This suggest people really liked the game. It's a bit of a cult classic like Earthbound. In Japan, fans ranked it their 6th favorite Nintendo game (from Famitsu I believe). Plus, it has memorable music, locations (with Bionis and Mechonis) and the sword, the Monado. Beyond this, there some other possible characters. Chrom would make sense as well since Awakening did very well compared to other games in the series. The issue is there are 3 other Fire Emblem characters and it would be hard to fit him in. Rhythm Heaven could also get a character. King K Rool is a possibility, though he hasn't been in games for quite some time (as apposed to Dixie). So out of all the rest, these 4 stand the best chances in my opinion.

As for other stuff, it seems like we are going to get two characters a month. That seems to be the pattern at least. We may have 9 more months of characters which is about 18 more. This would be 42 characters. This number will likely be higher as more characters will be announced during E3 and closer to the game's release. Also, it seems like we'll have a Direct every two months. So I expect we'll see
April-Palutena
June-Ridley(E3)
October-Shulk (last newcomer before launch)

There will be more scattered in. The total number of characters will be between 45 and 48. I don't think Snake will return though Mewtwo will. Based on the state of Pokemon, there wont be a new character. Mii and Pac-Man likely wont happen. I don't think there will be anymore Third Party characters.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Do you ever look at your roster and realize: Practically every addition you add to a franchise could be easily end up being a different character from that franchise?

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Do you ever look at your roster and realize: Practically every addition you add to a franchise could be easily end up being a different character from that franchise?
Not really, no.

When I look at my roster(s) for too long, I always end up breaking down into tears and lamenting the man that I have become.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
Party Phil?.....huh.......maybe we should discuss this. I'm not huge on Wii Party, but I know it's popular. Any big reason against him? (besides Miis)

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I don't know who would replace Takamaru, Lip, Shulk, or Chibi Robo :troll:

Isaac and Saki have their children.

I notice that. It happened with Toad:( Again :urg:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Party Phil?.....huh.......maybe we should discuss this. I'm not huge on Wii Party, but I know it's popular. Any big reason against him? (besides Miis)
He's a Muppet wannabe.

Also, to reply to an earlier topic, I'd love Banjo & Kazooie playable.
I was never a fan of them, but I think they'd be cool.

And Joanna Dark.

Funny thing about that is that her series already had content in Smash Bros: the Cloaking Device and Proximity Bomb in Melee. They were change in Brawl most likely because she became third-party.

I kinda think she should be a starter third-party character as opposed to unlockable, because Perfect Dark already had representation in Smash.

I'd like Conker as the third Rare character, but most of his charm comes from his Bad Fur Day appearance, and taking all that M-rated stuff away sort of makes him an "empty shell", and I'm sure many fans of Conker in Smash don't care much for his Pocket Tales appearance.

The Metal Gear series has some M-rated stuff as well, but it doesn't rely on stuff like dirty/pervy humor and swearing nearly as much as Bad Fur Day.

-----

Last edited:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
You know, I think that Super Rareware Brothers idea merits its own thread somewhere, especially given how much discussion it generated.

I'm not confident enough in my Rareware knowledge to make an adequate opening post, but I invite anyone and everyone to get that ball rolling. ;)

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
You know, I think that Super Rareware Brothers idea merits its own thread somewhere, especially given how much discussion it generated.

I'm not confident enough in my Rareware knowledge to make an adequate opening post, but I invite anyone and everyone to get that ball rolling. ;)
Don't give them any ideas.

It's bad enough that they have Killer Instinct on the XBone, but anything with Banjo would nearly force me to jump off a bridge buy the bloody thing.
I still think it's a better idea to just outright invade Nintendo with massive Banjo requests. They would by back Banjo if he would sell Wii U's, right? Right?

?????????????

Smash Master
Hola,
My prediction
Looks pretty good. One thing though...I'm pretty sure Professor Layton is a third party character. Still think he's reasonable enough of a choice, maybe, but if he's third party, you might want to reorganize him into the bottom row. Up to you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom