• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
They could just quietly work on more characters,but just not release them.

If this is real, it means that they worked on Mewtwo (the announced),but also worked on Lucas (an unannounced) Sakurai might have changed his mind after he made the "no more DLC after Mewtwo at the moment" statement.
It's as real as that other photoshopped roster you thought could be real but wasn't.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
There was an Andy moveset I read once which seemed particularly unique, and was about setting up bases around the stage which you could then use later as support. Taking the 'villager tree' idea and turning it into a whole tactile, environmental based moveset.
I thought it was quite well put together.

Isaac, however, needs Djinn- and not just one to summon, but a mechanism that would allow him to use, and then later summon them. Akin not only to the game, but making him unique in play.
Perhaps all of his directional B buttons would call forth a different type of Djinn power, and then regular B would allow him to summon it at varying levels of strength.
Then his Smash attacks could be based on psynergy (used in tangent with his sword, at times).

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
I swear, if there is a character hint or just a DLC hint at the End of Mewtwo's next announcement video this thread will just explode with mass speculation.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It's just Mewtwo's in game model that was shown in the direct, only slightly edited, and Lucas is in a spot that he shouldn't be in, and has no eyebrows. Didn't the guy also show an "in game" image of Mewtwo that looked fake too?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I swear, if there is a character hint or just a DLC hint at the End of Mewtwo's next announcement video this thread will just explode with mass speculation.
That would be the BEST way to announce the next character.
Smash is something that could have DLC go so many ways, it's hard to tell. In terms of marketing HYPE, one character at a time would definitely be the way to go.

However, a misleading hint that is not actually a hint... would be pretty detrimental.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm really starting to think that Mewtwo DLC is all we're getting as far as DLC characters. We would've heard about more DLC coming by now.
You're expecting too much too quickly.

If we are receiving anything past Mewtwo, we'll probably here plan for more during E3 at the earliest. Like others are saying, Mewtwo is stated to an experiment of sorts (which is ironic, considering it's origins and all). They need results from the experiment before they decide to make more content or not.

If this is real, it means that they worked on Mewtwo (the announced),but also worked on Lucas (an unannounced) Sakurai might have changed his mind after he made the "no more DLC after Mewtwo at the moment" statement.
Please bear in mind that these "leaked" images are using concept art for Mewtwo's render. Lucas's icon is also incredibly unnaturally saturated in comparison to the other characters.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

You mean this one?
7 Mario characters but only 5 Zelda characters and 5 Pokemon characters?!
Two Mario newcomers! OMG! Half of the roster is Mario characters!!! Not gonna happen!
Two Kid Icarus newcomers! OMG! Sakurai is bias! Now half of the newcomers are Kid Icarus characters!!!
Dr. Mario comes back but not Mewtwo?
They ain't gonna cut out Lucas, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers. No way, no how!
Why cut unique characters like Lucas and Wolf and replace them with clones like Dr. Mario and Dark Pit?
No Ridley, no K. Rool, no Mewtwo. FAKE!!!!
No Zelda newcomer, no DK newcomer, no Metroid newcomer. FAKE!!!!
Duck Hunt Dog?! Why? But all he does is pick up dead ducks and laugh! He will never get in!
The characters are haphazardly organized. FAKE!!!!
Why are the clones separated from their series? It makes no sense!
Mr. Game & Watch's hand clips into Wario's slot. Poorly done photoshop.
Wario's right pupil is missing! FAKE!!!!
Shulk looks like a photoshopped Little Mac! FAKE!!!!
Why are there so many empty space? Maybe they are for Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Chorus Kids! The leaker haven't unlocked all the characters yet.
Worst roster ever! 0/10 would not play. Nice try but it's definitely 100% fake.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
7 Mario characters but only 5 Zelda characters and 5 Pokemon characters?!
Two Mario newcomers! OMG! Half of the roster is Mario characters!!! Not gonna happen!
Two Kid Icarus newcomers! OMG! Sakurai is bias! Now half of the newcomers are Kid Icarus characters!!!
Dr. Mario comes back but not Mewtwo?
They ain't gonna cut out Lucas, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers. No way, no how!
Why cut unique characters like Lucas and Wolf and replace them with clones like Dr. Mario and Dark Pit?
No Ridley, no K. Rool, no Mewtwo. FAKE!!!!
No Zelda newcomer, no DK newcomer, no Metroid newcomer. FAKE!!!!
Duck Hunt Dog?! Why? But all he does is pick up dead ducks and laugh! He will never get in!
The characters are haphazardly organized. FAKE!!!!
Why are the clones separated from their series? It makes no sense!
Mr. Game & Watch's hand clips into Wario's slot. Poorly done photoshop.
Wario's right pupil is missing! FAKE!!!!
Shulk looks like a photoshopped Little Mac! FAKE!!!!
Why are there so many empty space? Maybe they are for Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Chorus Kids! The leaker haven't unlocked all the characters yet.
Worst roster ever! 0/10 would not play. Nice try but it's definitely 100% fake.
No mewtwo sakurai doesnt listen 2 fans.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The reason we are all still speculating though was because the roster was that dissatisfactionary.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The reason we are all still speculating though was because the roster was that dissatisfactionary.
LOL Brawl roster was totally satisfactory and that's why people did not immediately ask for DLC and did not speculate on SSB4 roster right after Brawl came out. :troll:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Not satisfactiory to you =/= Not satisfactiory
By the same token:
Satisfactiory to you =/= Satisfactiory

You being okay with the roster doesn't invalidate someone saying they're not, and vice versa.
In my opinion, though, I don't think they tried hard enough to cover all bases with the roster selection in Smash 4.
Whereas in Brawl they did so almost perfectly.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Me personally?

It's satisfactory.

I just want more cause I suppose I'm a greedy little poop.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Me personally?
It's satisfactory.
I just want more cause I suppose I'm a greedy little poop.
Are you truly that greedy for wanting more?
It's a video game, if enough people want more, they should be given more.

Maybe most of them will get what they want this time, and not flame internet forums.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm totally content with the roster.

I still think there's plenty of potential in it, though, so I'm ridin' this Hype Train to the very end~

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That's strange... I seem to recall a lot of people complaining about Brawl's roster at the time. Many people were expecting much more than what they got.
Poor R.O.B. got a lot of smack both times, as I recall.

It's okay, Buddy, we still love you.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
It's sad that I only think this game is good, and the reason why I got is because of Palutena and Shulk.. I just get a little bored too often because it doesn't feel finished.. There should've at least been more Kid Icarus reps to make the roster at least a little more interesting and fun :/

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's strange... I seem to recall a lot of people complaining about Brawl's roster at the time. Many people were expecting much more than what they got.
People complain about everything. They've complained about both rosters.
But you're right about one thing: people expect too much. However, like I said, in the case of Brawl I think every fanbase got something. Whereas in Smash 4 it's a lot more one-sided.
I mean, in Smash 4 Mario adds three more characters, Kid Icarus gets two newcomers, Fire Emblem gets two, while DK, Zelda, Metroid, and F-Zero get nothing, and Mother and Starfox actually lose characters.
In Brawl, pretty much every series a character, even small ones like Mother with Lucas, FE with Ike, etc. Even if he's not a newcomer per se, Toon Link is a new version of Link that was added...and overall series representation is very balanced.

In both installments a lot of new series are included, which is great.

Not knocking on Smash 4's roster by any means, but I hold to the position that Brawl's newcomers were superior in terms of fanservice. Wario, Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, "Wind Waker" Link, Ike, Olimar, ****ing Sonic the Hedgehog, etc.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To compare the disappointment post-Brawl to the disappointment now is to ignore context.

The expectations for Brawl were completely ridiculous. A lot of people were expecting a roster of 40 characters at a minimum, some even up to 45 or 50, just based on the constant flow of them we got on the DOJO for a while (like, multiple ones most months). Naturally, this backfired, delaying people's appreciation for the great assortment of all-star characters they did get. . .other than Ridley, every other big request pretty much made it in (Geno was a fad, like Reggie, before anyone brings him into this).

Expectations for SSB4 were much lower, to the point where some people were constantly misconstruing Sakurai's quote about "reaching our limit" as proof that the roster wouldn't exceed 39 characters. Because of this, as well as Brawl's great selection, there were very few big requests leftover. Even so, only about half of them made it in, the less-demanded half at that, some exclusions happening for seemingly no reason or for disappointing ones (like with You-Know-Who).

Excuse this as people may, it's natural that this would cause more lingering disappointment for those characters' fans.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
With the advent of Mewtwo, I'm more or less okay with the roster. For me, all it needs to be perfect is the korpulent king in the signature above me.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Let's see...

Smash 64 (1999) was the first game and introduced only the mascots/protagonists of their respective franchises.

Mario, Donkey Kong, Luigi, Link, and Samus debuted in the 1980s. Yoshi, Captain Falcon, Kirby, Fox, Ness, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff debuted in the 1990s.

Melee (2001) was the second game and introduced newcomers who are mostly sidekicks, villains, and damsels... and introduced three new franchises with their respective protagonists/mascots.

Mr. Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Peach, Bowser, and Zelda debuted in the 1980s. Marth, Dr. Mario, Falco, Mewtwo, Young Link, Sheik, Ganondorf, and Pichu debuted in the 1990s. Roy is the only one who debuted in the 2000s.

Brawl (2008) was the third game and introduced many more newcomers who are mostly sidekicks and anti-heroes and new protagonists to pre-existing franchises... and introduced six new franchises with their respective protagonists/mascots.

R.O.B., Pit, and Snake debuted in the 1980s. Sonic, King Dedede, Wario, Meta Knight, Diddy Kong, Charizard, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Wolf debuted in the 1990s. Pikmin & Olimar, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Lucas, and Lucario debuted in the 2000s.

SSB4 (2014) is the fourth/fifth game(s) and introduced even more newcomers who are mostly protagonists/mascots and supporting characters from revived franchises and newer games from pre-existing franchises... and introduced eight new franchises with their respective protagonists/mascots.

Pac-Man, Little Mac, Duck Hunt, Palutena, and Mega Man debuted in the 1980s. Villager, Bowser Jr., Mii Fighters, Rosalina & Luma, and Wii Fit Trainer debuted in the 2000s. Shulk, Dark Pit, Robin, Lucina, and Greninja debuted in the 2010s.

I would expect SSB5 newcomers to be mostly from 2000s and 2010s... with a few from the 1980s and 1990s depending on whether they appear in newer games during 2010s or not. I personally believe that the reason people keep saying we are running out of Nintendo characters to add in Smash is because they themselves are running out of characters they personally grew up with to add in Smash. We are running out of popular/iconic Nintendo characters from the 1980s and 1990s... that's why we are getting more popular/iconic Nintendo characters from the 2000s and 2010s. Nintendo will never run out of characters to add in Smash.

For SSB5, let me give an estimated year it might come out... let's say... 2020? Sounds good, yeah? Anyway, I would keep my eye on major new games between 2014 and 2020, especially by Nintendo EAD, Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory, Pokemon Company, Retro Studios, and Monolith Soft... and especially if Miyamoto and/or Sakurai are involved... and especially new games for franchises that already have playable characters in Smash.

These are the games from 2014 I have my eye on...

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Hyrule Warriors
Kirby Triple Deluxe
NES Remix Pack
Pokemon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire
Pushmo World
Wii Fit U
Wii Sports Club

These are the games from 2015 and onward I have my eye on...

Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D
The Legend of Zelda Wii U
Mario Maker
Project Giant Robot
Project Guard
Splatoon
Star Fox Wii U
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Woolly World

If I were to come up with an incomplete list of possible newcomers based on 2014 and 2015 alone (which is too premature), these are who would be on my list... and they still would have debuted from different decades:

3rd gen Pokemon
Bandanna Dee
Captain Toad
Dixie Kong
Henry Fleming from Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (new series)
Inkling from Splatoon (new series)
Mallo from Pushmo (new series)
Protagonist from Xenoblade Chronicles X
Someone from Legend of Zelda Wii U
Someone from Star Fox Wii U

As for retro characters, I have my eye on Takamaru (I think his series might be revived before SSB5 is announced), Muddy Mole (I think he is a solid pick since Nintendo EAD was the developer and Miyamoto was the producer of his game), and Captain N (the next unlikely retro pick after G&W, ROB, and DHD and I think he will make headlines like DHD did).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I really had no true expectations for the roster, so I can't say I'm unsatisfied.
The main issue I had is now negligent due to Mewtwo being DLC, so I've got no problem. While I'm down for MOAR coming later, I'm fine with what we got if there will be nothing else.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
To compare the disappointment post-Brawl to the disappointment now is to ignore context.
The expectations for Brawl were completely ridiculous. A lot of people were expecting a roster of 40 characters at a minimum, some even up to 45 or 50, just based on the constant flow of them we got on the DOJO for a while (like, multiple ones most months). Naturally, this backfired, delaying people's appreciation for the great assortment of all-star characters they did get. . .other than Ridley, every other big request pretty much made it in (Geno was a fad, like Reggie, before anyone brings him into this).
Expectations for SSB4 were much lower, to the point where some people were constantly misconstruing Sakurai's quote about "reaching our limit" as proof that the roster wouldn't exceed 39 characters. Because of this, as well as Brawl's great selection, there were very few big requests leftover. Even so, only about half of them made it in, the less-demanded half at that, some exclusions happening for seemingly no reason or for disappointing ones (like with You-Know-Who).
Excuse this as people may, it's natural that this would cause more lingering disappointment for those characters' fans.
I'm sorry, that wasn't what I was trying to say. I was just saying proportionately the newcomers were more balanced in this regard in Brawl.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I'm sorry, that wasn't what I was trying to say. I was just saying proportionately the newcomers were more balanced in this regard in Brawl.
I agree with your posts. Mine was addressing the not-uncommon sentiment that "People complained about Brawl's great-in-hindsight roster, too, therefore these roster complaints are equally as reactionary and irrational."

It's one thing to be disappointed that the three biggest first party requests were just completely ignored in favor of "stuff you didn't know you 'wanted'" (at least the main roster, since Mewtwo's thankfully on the way), and another entirely to just generally shout "MORE MORE MORE" after a newcomer roster that nailed every single big name at the time, Ridley outstanding.

Last edited:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I have to say that the character design, flow, creativity, and balance are exceptional in this game. That is why I want more and more characters. I feel that this team did an excellent job and created the best fighting game to date.

I understand why Nintendo has to determine if selling additional characters would net a profit, but DLC might be the best way to go for the Wii U while creating the new hardware and games that come with it.

mark welford

Smash Ace
In my opinion roster wise this game seems unfinished but other than this game looks well done to me but all I want is my Wolfy boy back.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
There are two people that, if not added to SSB5, would surprise me extremely.

The first is Isaac. Due to not being an assist trophy anymore, there is a good chance he was one of the planned characters for Sm4sh, and most of those will make it to SSB5. New series will be added each roster, and Golden Sun is next in line. Isaac himself is more important than about half the characters currently on the roster, like Ness. Speaking of Ness, if each Nintendo character was ranked into groups of four, the third most important group would be Isaac and :olimar::ness2::marth:, as all represent a series with changing protagonists. Isaac is the only one in that group who is not in Smash, but that will soon change.

The second is King K. Rool. As Nintendo's fifth most popular series, it needs more than two reps. The next to join should be a villain, like Rool. There are a lot of options for his moveset. In fact, I made a moveset for him just yesterday. Being royalty, he can continue the company's "villainous king" theme, along with :bowser2::dedede::ganondorf:.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
There are two people that, if not added to SSB5, would surprise me extremely.

The first is Isaac. Due to not being an assist trophy anymore, there is a good chance he was one of the planned characters for Sm4sh, and most of those will make it to SSB5. New series will be added each roster, and Golden Sun is next in line. Isaac himself is more important than about half the characters currently on the roster, like Ness. Speaking of Ness, if each Nintendo character was ranked into groups of four, the third most important group would be Isaac and :olimar::ness2::marth:, as all represent a series with changing protagonists. Isaac is the only one in that group who is not in Smash, but that will soon change.

The second is King K. Rool. As Nintendo's fifth most popular series, it needs more than two reps. The next to join should be a villain, like Rool. There are a lot of options for his moveset. In fact, I made a moveset for him just yesterday. Being royalty, he can continue the company's "villainous king" theme, along with :bowser2::dedede::ganondorf:.
I think both of those characters potential future in further installments depends on if they actually make a return.

Those characters got passed over this time around; if nothing changes for them when (if) the next Smash starts development, they'll likely miss out again.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Well, besides Lucas and Wolf I'm not that dissatisfied. It's just that the only newcomer I was hype for was Villager (but I can see why people were fanboying over Mega Man, despite not playing a game myself), but that was it. But there aren't too many new iconic Nintendo characters left to add. I don't have high hopes for major newcomers in a possible Smash 5, but maybe one or two that everyone would be cheering for.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ice Climbers being gone and the lack of a new DK character (especially when Dixie was planned for Brawl and just had a new game) are the only voids that are noticeable to me.

I like Wolf, but I feel as if he is an understandable cut.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
LOL Brawl roster was totally satisfactory and that's why people did not immediately ask for DLC and did not speculate on SSB4 roster right after Brawl came out. :troll:
Only Ridley fans. :smirk:

And I guess there WAS a lot of reason to be upset with the absence of Mewtwo. But Brawl's newcomers are easily the best batch we've had, or at least for me the most satisfactionary. We had LONG awaited characters finally joining in Brawl, like :diddy::dedede::warioc:. And other very popular picks as :pit::lucario::wolf::olimar::ike::metaknight:.

I think that Brawl's roster was really only lacking Mewtwo.
Nah, imo roster is almost poifect, however the taste of DLC has corrupted the sight of many.
No, the addition of Mewtwo as a DLC character has given me faith in the choices of Sakurai regarding characters again.

I swear, he went total 'relevance + bull**** you wouldn't expect' this time.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I got Palutena, Lucina, Robin, Duck Hunt, Ludwig von Koopa, Pac-Man, Shulk, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Zero Suit Samus as a separate character and the return of Doc.

I'm happy. :3

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I got Duck Hunt, Pac-Man, Villager and Ludwig Von Koopa(who let's face it, no one would of predicted).

Short of Toad(who I've been waiting for 15 years at this point) and Dixie Kong(even with all these additional females, she, one of the more famous female Nintendo characters, doesn't get in) I'm pretty satisfied.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382

100% fake. If you look closely, you'll notice that mewtwo's black line is slightly shorter than charizard's. The lines that separate characters also gets a bit distorted near lucas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom