• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Pretty sure that happened with Mario Golf on the 3ds.
I guess I stand corrected. However in that instance the game retailed for 30$, and had a lot of content sans DLC, unlike games like COD where they charge full price plus 20$ for a couple of maps.
I mean it's Nintendo, they would have good reasons for Day 1 DLC in that instance, nevertheless, you're right, they're guilty of that.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I might as well get this out of the way.

S Tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Krystal, King K Rool

B tier
Isaac, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong

C tier
Mach Rider, Sceptile, Impa

D tier
Black Shadow, Roy

LOL tier
Bandana Dee, Tails

Captain Toad, MR, Roy, and Black Shadow are new to my tier predictions. I put Captain Toad pretty high because of the glory he got last direct.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215

S Tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf

B tier
King K Rool, Isaac, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong

C tier
Krystal, Mach Rider, Sceptile, Impa

D tier
Black Shadow, Roy

LOL tier
Bandana Dee, Tails

Captain Toad, MR, Roy, and Black Shadow are new to my tier predictions. I put Captain Toad pretty high because of the glory he got last direct.
Krystal being A-Tier is hilarious.
Fixed.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

S Tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Krystal, King K Rool

B tier
Isaac, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong

C tier
Mach Rider, Sceptile, Impa

D tier
Black Shadow, Roy

LOL tier
Bandana Dee, Tails

You need more choices up there, my eyes are tired of looking at the same common choices over and over again. :U

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I think people are seriously downplaying the chances of Trainer's other Pokemon. Especially Squirtle. Yes, we have another water starter, yes we have plenty of gen 1 rep, but still, people love Squirtle.

I mostly like their chances because I honestly think that they already have some base resources to work with. They ported over Brawl data and they likely attempted to recreate Pokemon Trainer before deciding that transformations simply would not work. That means that at least some work was already done on two characters that have entirely unique movesets.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I guess I stand corrected. However in that instance the game retailed for 30$, and had a lot of content sans DLC, unlike games like COD where they charge full price plus 20$ for a couple of maps.
I mean it's Nintendo, they would have good reasons for Day 1 DLC in that instance, nevertheless, you're right, they're guilty of that.
There is the scenario of day one DLC which is free?

Although I haven't seen Nintendo do that, ever. Like adding in content at the last day so that reviewers who break embargo about hidden and secret stuff can't reveal it.

In case of Mario Golf, they had 3 packs with 2 courses each and even a season pass for all. This was all announced on day 1.

You need more choices up there, my eyes are tired of looking at the same common choices over and over again. :U
They are common because they are likely and popular. Plus demand.

Obviously I would like to put Isaac on the top :p

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay, I'm gonna correct some things about... basically every character whose jumping can be questioned. In almost every case it is done in limited cases or they just haven't seen explicitly jumping while nothing really says that they CAN'T, just that they HAVEN'T.

The difference between these characters and Captain Toad is that the crux of his gameplay is that he can't jump. Both in his missions in 3D World and his new game, the point is that Captain Toad can not jump and thus must navigate the maps in a much less direct way. This is like if Megaman couldn't shoot, Shulk didn't have the Monado, or if Sonic wasn't fast.
Sigh...

Captain Toad can jump. The reason why Toad doesn't jump in his own game is because his backpack is too heavy. This is an excuse plot point to force players to navigate levels in a much less direct way. What was Mario's excuse for not jumping around in Wrecking Crew?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think people are seriously downplaying the chances of Trainer's other Pokemon. Especially Squirtle. Yes, we have another water starter, yes we have plenty of gen 1 rep, but still, people love Squirtle.

I mostly like their chances because I honestly think that they already have some base resources to work with. They ported over Brawl data and they likely attempted to recreate Pokemon Trainer before deciding that transformations simply would not work. That means that at least some work was already done on two characters that have entirely unique movesets.
I agree to an extent, though it was Ivysaur I had in mind. Although Squirtle is more popular, you have a point.
I was thinking, for the sake of consistency, 'evolve' Brawl Ivysaur into Venusaur and give him mostly the same moves.
People say they won't happen because of "oversaturation of Pokemon characters" but Nintendo obviously doesn't mind including an unnecessary amount of characters from one series while ignoring others.
:4mario::4luigi::4yoshi::rosalina::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::4dk::4diddy::4wario:

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

I could see them happening, but they would probably be at the bottom of the priority list if it came down to a few choices.

Needs more random and half-brained choices based solely on hipster thought, right?
Random, half-brained choices would be characters like the Stork, Wart, Pianta, and many others that have no notable role in Nintendo's history. :p

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
Ivysaur or Venusaur needs to be DLC. Sakurai pls

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, my opinion of Captain Toad is this:

I'd far rather have him than both the Mario characters we have. I also think that he's quite likely for DLC. Even if you argue the notion "technically Captain Toad has only been around since Mario Galaxy," so has Rosalina. Of course, though, Captain Toad is THE main Toad from past games as well, just getting more prominence, so that makes him even more likely in my eyes.

...but with us already having both Rosalina and Bowser Jr., at this point, I don't WANT Captain Toad. At least not before we get King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Wolf, Isaac, and maybe even another new franchise character.

I agree to an extent, though it was Ivysaur I had in mind. Although Squirtle is more popular, you have a point.
I was thinking, for the sake of consistency, 'evolve' Brawl Ivysaur into Venusaur and give him mostly the same moves.
People say they won't happen because of "oversaturation of Pokemon characters" but Nintendo obviously doesn't mind including an unnecessary amount of characters from one series while ignoring others.
:4mario::4luigi::4yoshi::rosalina::4peach::4bowser::4bowserjr::4dk::4diddy::4wario:
Neither DK nor Wario are really Mario sub-franchises. Wario is a lot closer to Mario in general due to the fact that he's literally based on Mario, but other than that, Wario is a totally separate franchise. Same thing with DK, except even moreso. DK is not a sub-franchise at all; its a full franchise in its own right that has been very distinct from Mario, and DK characters rarely get added into Mario spinoffs gets except DK himself. Diddy's been added a bit more recently, but other characters are very rare to see, and even Diddy was now dropped from Mario Kart despite being in the past two console Mario Kart's.

DK is more of a "sister" franchise to Mario than a sub-franchise, with the DK franchise's lifetime sales being quite close to even Legend of Zelda, which is often touted as Nintendo's second most-important franchise (its not actually, Pokemon really is in that regard). Returns even sold more than both Zelda Wii games (not together, though), and DKC was the second best-selling SNES game.

Bayonetta arguably has a bigger shot at modern Smash than Krystal does.
If Nintendo buys the IP from SEGA, maybe. I definitely don't think Krystal has much of a chance, but I think Bayoneta is extremely unlikely as a third-party character.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
They would probably just keep it to Ivysaur and not Venusaur to save some development time, Venusaur probably wouldn't be any different other than being more powerful and heavier.

Out of interest Blue, who would you put forward?
Here's some that I believe have a shot that Cliffjumper didn't bring up in his list:
1. Inkling
2. Young Link
3. Professor Layton
4. A Bravely Default character
5. Bayonetta
6. Monster Hunter
7. Hades
8. A second Xenoblade character
9. Squirtle
10. Ivysaur
11. A third Awakening character
12. Pichu
13. Chibi Robo
14. Snake
15. Any third party whose franchise is at least incredibly popular and has an upcoming game to help promote their game.

Most of the choices are based on relevancy and marketing, a few are just based on the fact they are a veteran.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
They would probably just keep it to Ivysaur and not Venusaur to save some development time, Venusaur probably wouldn't be any different other than being more powerful and heavier.

Here's some that I believe have a shot that Cliffjumper didn't bring up in his list:
1. Inkling
2. Young Link
3. Professor Layton
5. Bayonetta
6. Monster Hunter
7. Hades
9. Squirtle
10. Ivysaur
12. Pichu
13. Chibi Robo
14. Snake
15. Any third party whose franchise is at least incredibly popular and has an upcoming game to help promote their game.

Most of the choices are based on relevancy and marketing, a few are just based on the fact they are a veteran.
I don't really understand how half of these are really likely.
Except for more Pokemon and Kid Icarus characters, and the clones, those are definitely very plausible.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I didn't say anything about them being likely, just saying that they have at least a shot and have at least one substantial reason to get in as a playable character.

Some of them are probably going to be LOL tier in Cliff's list I bet.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Sigh...

Captain Toad can jump. The reason why Toad doesn't jump in his own game is because his backpack is too heavy. This is an excuse plot point to force players to navigate levels in a much less direct way. What was Mario's excuse for not jumping around in Wrecking Crew?
Never said they can't make it work.
I was namely dis-proving the "X character didn't jump either" point by naming where most of the debatable characters HAVE jumped and the fact that Captain Toad's gimmick is that he can't jump. As I said, there are examples where good gameplay fighters come out of characters with little to work off of in source (Fox, Captain). It'd be a matter of how they'd manage him to work and keep true to the character given his gimmick.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, here's my totally valuable opinion on the most likely DLC characters:

Swag Tier:
- Mewtwo (confirmed)

Absolutely Happening Tier:
- Wolf
- Dixie Kong

Big Chance of Happening Tier:
- Lucas
- King K. Rool
- Captain Toad
- Isaac

Could Happen Tier:
- Inkling from Splatoon
- SoPo
- Solid Snake
- A new Zelda character

Doesn't Seem Like It Tier:
- Bayonetta
- Krystal
- Any other Third-parties
- Advance Wars character
- Ivysaur and/or Squirtle

Everything Else Tier:
- Everything else

EDIT: I want to include Free Clone Day but I'm unsure where I think that stands.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
1. Wolf
2. Ice Climbers
3. Lucas
4. Dixie Kong
5. King K Rool
6. Isaac
7. Mach Rider/Excitebiker
8. Impa
9. Inkling
10. ROY

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

1. Inkling
2. Young Link
3. Professor Layton
5. Bayonetta
6. Monster Hunter
7. Hades
9. Squirtle
10. Ivysaur
12. Pichu
13. Chibi Robo
14. Snake

Ummm... I am sorry but why do Kid Icarus Uprising, Fire Emblem Awakening, and Xenoblade Chronicles need more characters to promote them when they already have :4pit::4palutena::4darkpit::4marth::4myfriends::4robinm::4lucina::4shulk:?

Moreover, why does Pokemon XY and ORAS need promoting from :pichumelee::squirtle::ivysaur: when it needs no promoting? It's not a niche series like Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade Chronicles are. It already has :4pikachu::4lucario::4charizard::4greninja::4jigglypuff::mewtwomelee:. Just you watch, ORAS is going to sell millions in days just like XY did before Greninja and other Pokemon veterans were confirmed. We got Wii Fit Trainer's booty instead of Mewtwo on the day XY came out.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

1. Inkling
2. Young Link
3. Professor Layton
5. Bayonetta
6. Monster Hunter
7. Hades
9. Squirtle
10. Ivysaur
12. Pichu
13. Chibi Robo
14. Snake

I don't think that Fire Emblem Awakening needs more characters, it would be more likely to get a character from Fire Emblem 14 whenever that comes. Still unlikely as FE already has 4 reps.

Bayonetta would have to be toned down a lot. Plus 3rd party.

Layton, Bravely Default and MH are all 3rd party.

Hades - I don't know much about Kid Icarus but this would have been so much better than Dark Pit

I wouldn't mind Seven from Xenoblade as I was not much of a Shulk fan. Someone from X chronicles would probably be more likely.

Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut. Plus they are known but not that necessary to promote Pokemon. Still possible though. We already have Pikachu, I don't think we need Pichu again.

Chibi Robo might be possible.

Snake was cut and doesn't seem like returning so far. I don't see any other 3rd party that needs much recognition. There is also that fact that so many of them are not sticking around.

Still the list is too big if we add this onto the ones that are much more possible.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I don't think that Fire Emblem Awakening needs more characters, it would be more likely to get a character from Fire Emblem 14 whenever that comes. Still unlikely as FE already has 4 reps.

Bayonetta would have to be toned down a lot. Plus 3rd party.

Layton, Bravely Default and MH are all 3rd party.

Hades - I don't know much about Kid Icarus but this would have been so much better than Dark Pit

I wouldn't mind Seven from Xenoblade as I was not much of a Shulk fan. Someone from X chronicles would probably be more likely.

Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut. Plus they are known but not that necessary to promote Pokemon. Still possible though. We already have Pikachu, I don't think we need Pichu again.

Chibi Robo might be possible.

Snake was cut and doesn't seem like returning so far. I don't see any other 3rd party that needs much recognition. There is also that fact that so many of them are not sticking around.

Still the list is too big if we add this onto the ones that are much more possible.

Argos

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if Roy is still heavily desired in Japan after two Fire Emblem newcomers were announced? I have no particular interest in Roy one way or another but he was (along with Mewtwo) one of the most requested over there, something we always need to keep in mind.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
See, Blue, there's no problem with bringing up crazy possibilities.

The problem is when you then whine about other peoples' crazy possibilities.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Did anyone want Saki Amamiya playable? I really don't know what they were thinking. It should've been duck hunt as the assist and not saki..

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Did anyone want Saki Amamiya playable? I really don't know what they were thinking. It should've been duck hunt as the assist and not saki..
Saki and Duck Hunt don't really even fit the same criteria though.

Duck Hunt is one of the most famous retro games on the planet and like ROB and Game and Watch is also representative of an important Nintendo peripheral.

Saki represents two niche games that are neither retro, famous or promote an important part of Nintendo history.

Last edited:

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
Oh it's not fair and it's really not okay.. If only his games would've done well :/ all I've got is a Saki over toon PSA that doesn't even have a voice or gunshot! But at least he has his lasor sword and other moves

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Of course that's going to fly around everywhere, but it doesn't mean anything. It doesn't tell us anymore than we already knew. All he's saying is he's not focused on DLC right now, which is exactly what he said a few months ago not long before we got Mewtwo.

Right now, Sakurai is focusing on getting the patch content out of the way. I've been saying it several times already, but I didn't really think DLC would be announced until February anyway, a few months after release, like with MK8.

EDIT: Sakurai has already stated he wants to support this game in the long-term through patches.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom