• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd say by February more DLC will be announced. MAYBE next month, I could potentially see Sakurai announce it for an "end of the Pic of the Day" type of update.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'd say by February more DLC will be announced. MAYBE next month, I could potentially see Sakurai announce it for an "end of the Pic of the Day" type of update.
If more DLC is already being made, I can see it being announced in December, possibly being released alongside Mewtwo. Otherwise, early 2015 sounds like a good time to announce DLC.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I'm expecting at minimum 6-8 characters and many more stages, maybe a mode or two. How much they actually makes solely depends on how long and to what extent they support Smash DLC.

I can't see them announcing anymore in addition to Mewtwo until Februaryish, unless they are going to release more in conjunction with Mewtwo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think pretty much everyone can agree that the next characters in line for DLC are most likely Wolf and Dixie Kong.
If not, you are admittedly probably not in the speculation loop.
Excuse me?
So because I have no set thoughts on a line let alone who's next in it, I'm ignorant in regards to speculation?

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I think pretty much everyone can agree that the next characters in line for DLC are most likely Wolf and Dixie Kong.
If not, you are admittedly probably not in the speculation loop.
I think the subject is too hazy atm to claim what is most likely to be next.

Excuse me?
So because I have no set thoughts on a line let alone who's next in it, I'm ignorant in regards to speculation?
That's a hilariously unnecessary overreaction.

Last edited:

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
What about Lucas?
What about Chorus Kids?
What about King K. Rool, who's a hotly-contested alternative to Dixie?
There's plenty of debate over who's next.

ZeldaFan01

Cassie Shore/Shelby Goodkind (Netflix)
NNID
?
I really think these are the remaining DLC Characters
1. Lucas
2. Wolf
3. Krystal
4. Bandana Dee
5. Isaac
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Roy
9. Impa
10. Inkling From Splatoon
These seem the most likely right.? Which one don't have a chance?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I really think these are the remaining DLC Characters
1. Lucas
2. Wolf
3. Krystal
4. Bandana Dee
5. Isaac
6. Dixie Kong
7. King K. Rool
8. Roy
9. Impa
10. Inkling From Splatoon
These seem the most likely right.? Which one don't have a chance?
I would remove Krystal and Roy, and replace them with Captain Toad and someone else.

1. Wolf
2. Dixie Kong
3. King K. Rool
4. New Zelda character
5. Captain Toad
6. Isaac
7. Inkling

I can't really think of anyone else that isn't a clone.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I would remove Krystal and Roy, and replace them with Captain Toad and someone else.

1. Wolf
2. Dixie Kong
3. King K. Rool
4. New Zelda character
5. Captain Toad
6. Isaac
7. Inkling

I can't really think of anyone else that isn't a clone.
I guess I'm going from who the most requested characters are not all the one that make sense! :p

But 1. Roy is most likely in because of how Dr. Mario and Mewtwo are in. 2 Krystal would be using her staff and maybe weapons from Star Fox Assault. 3. Captain Toad can't jump. and the rest of the characters I know wouldn't be clones at all

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I guess I'm going from who the most requested characters are not all the one that make sense! :p
But 1. Roy is most likely in because of how Dr. Mario and Mewtwo are in. 2 Krystal would be using her staff and maybe weapons from Star Fox Assault. 3. Captain Toad can't jump. and the rest of the characters I know wouldn't be clones at all
Roy is not in the same boat as Dr. Mario or Mewtwo. Dr. Mario is in because he was supposed to be an alternate costume for Mario, but they promoted him at the last minute. Mewtwo is in because he is one of the most popular and prominent Pokemon characters, and he was the most requested character at the time he was chosen AND he is a unique character.
Roy has maybe one of those traits. He was a last-minute clone addition to promote a currently Japan-only game that has been mostly forgotten.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
I wonder why Wolf was cut since he was like Falco, a Semi Clone. That doesn't make any sense to me,, They shoulve have left him and added Krystal and stop there for the Star Fox Reps.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wonder why Wolf was cut since he was like Falco, a Semi Clone. That doesn't make any sense to me,, They shoulve have left him and added Krystal and stop there for the Star Fox Reps.
They probably didn't have time to make :lucas::wolf::mewtwopm:.

They were possibly low priority characters for whatever reason.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
But Panther Caroso! His passionate flames must compliment Krystal's beauty! That and it would make more sense for him to have claw-based attacks. Or he could be a spicy, romantic fighter who tangos his way to gloriously incandescent victory.

Leon would also make for a cool character - creepy, twisted, dark play style. Like an antithesis to Greninja's goofy ninja-frog-self.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It still baffles me Mewtwo was not in the main game.
I don't think Sakurai is that out of touch with the fanbase (or that opposed to pleasing it)

I'm guessing they planned Mewtwo as DLC from the beginning, since they knew that Smash Bros. would sell like crazy Mewtwo or not, but DLC for any Pokemon besides Mewtwo would not sell nearly as well.

ZeldaFan01

NNID
?
They probably didn't have time to make :lucas::wolf::mewtwopm:.

They were possibly low priority characters for whatever reason.
Yeah here's what i would have said to sakurai "Hint! Release smash4 later so you can added the amount of characters you originally wanted!"

But Panther Caroso! His passionate flames must compliment Krystal's beauty! That and it would make more sense for him to have claw-based attacks. Or he could be a spicy, romantic fighter who tangos his way to gloriously incandescent victory.

Leon would also make for a cool character - creepy, twisted, dark play style. Like an antithesis to Greninja's goofy ninja-frog-self.
Your on to something about adding another villain. Because it would make more sense to have two members from Star Fox and two from Star Wolf instead of 3 Star Fox characters and one Star Wolf character

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They probably wanted to focus more on brand new newcomers and bringing back most of the Brawl Veterans before they went ahead to bring back any cut Melee veterans (Dr. Mario more or less made it back as his own character at the last minute really) considering they where apparently more difficult to bring back (or at least Mewtwo since he was the only cut Melee vet who wasn't a clone (of anyone who is playable in Smash....)).

Eitherway, It's good to have Mewtwo back anyway. As for when they would announce further DLC stuff. I can imagine them giving us more info on Mewtwo and the Miiverse stage etc on the next Direct or the one after. And any other potential new DLC somewhere in the first (or maybe second) quarter of 2015. The 3DS version at least would more or less be out for quite some time by then. But that's just me I guess.... *shrug*

Last edited:

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
It's going to be Dixie (over K. Rool). K. Rool has something important in popularity and major appearances. Dixie has slightly less popularity. But a major playable appearance in a major recent game. Plus the most K. Rool ever had going for him was a trophy. The most Dixie had was the plan for inclusion. That's beside the point, but it's worth noting.

Twelve out of thirteen Nintendo newcomers, with the exception being a retro, show that popularity kind of got kicked in the ass unless it also had recency to back it up. So yeah, you can give me your anti-recency arguments and your popularity arguments and whatever other arguments the K. Rool supporters use... and they're fine points, and K. Rool is a fine character... but it's going to be Dixie.

That is if we even get a DK character as DLC. If we even get DLC past Mewtwo.

Oh and btw Dixie being similar to Diddy is not a point against her. It might be a point against originality but it isn't a point against inclusion. Just ask Dark Pit.

3. Captain Toad can't jump.
Neither can Olimar.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Neither can Olimar.
Or Ness.

Or Marth.

Or Pikachu.

Or any RPG character actually come to think about it.

I actually don't think we'll get Captain Toad until Smash 5 though. I'd love to be proved wrong though. Would main in a heartbeat.

Dixie and Wolf however seem like solid candidates for DLC characters. Lucas maybe too, but I don't think he quite has the popularity of the other two.

I'm sort of doubting Isaac at this point, but I can't really explain that doubt outside the usual.

I'm finding it harder and harder to imagine Bandana Dee getting in before Captain Toad too(unpopular for sure here), seeing as they're basically the same character type; a cute generic species member with a unique title and headgear that serve a monarch.
Kinda feel like they both need to get in at the same time.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm gonna correct some things about... basically every character whose jumping can be questioned. In almost every case it is done in limited cases or they just haven't seen explicitly jumping while nothing really says that they CAN'T, just that they HAVEN'T.

:olimar:: Can and has jumped. In Pikmin 2, to leave any cave both Olimar and either Louie or The President (depending on what point of the game you are at) must leap up into a Geyser before being launched out with their Pikmin following immediately after. While this is a cutscene, it's a proof that Olimar can and has canonically jumped... legitimately a height that's about two times that of his own.

:025:: Jumps at the end of the animation intro for Pokemon Yellow. In Pokemon Stadium, Pikachus would jump in their victory animatio during the charging mini-game in BOTH versions of this game. He did jumps of joy and leapt off ledges in his spin-off game back on the N64, Hey You, Pikachu! Pokemon Snap I believe had one photo op of a Pikachu that jumped. That is if you want to omit the entire anime function of Pikachu or the idle animations from the Mystery Dungeon games.
:039:: Jumped away from and at their opponent in the Pokemon Blue intro.
:pichumelee:: Jumps in the victory in a minigame, in the intro, and during some attacks in Pokemon Stadium 2.
:mewtwomelee:: Psychic. See Ness.
:squirtle:/:ivysaur:: Jumping Mini-Game in Fire Red/Leaf Green if you needed more justification.
:charizard:: Charizard used Fly! I don't know of a single organism with legs that can fly but not jump.
:lucario:: I'm going to write this off from his film appearance because that is what his voice is based on.
:4greninja:: Jumps in a number of attack animations. For one example, Acrobatics.
:marthmelee:: There was in fact an official anime for Marth's original game. He jumped in it.
:roymelee:: Had yet to appear in a game, so everything was canon in Melee.
:ike:: His game had actual jumping to get up and down ledges. Also Aether.
:4lucina:: Jumps in the cutscene fight with Chrom.
:4robinm:/:4robinf:: Jumps in their critical animation for swords/axes.
:link:: Jumped off many a ledge. Jump Slash
:zeldamelee:: is :sheikmelee: who jumped.
:ganondorfmelee:: Flew. See Charizard.
:falcon64:/:fox64:/:falcomelee:/:wolf:/:rob:: Every part of their moveset is made up of their theme.
:nessmelee:: He doesn't actually jump, it's him manipulating his own body using PSI energy. That's why it has that Sci-Fi sound effect. (Not in any way canon but it's a good enough headcanon).
:lucas:: Actually has jumped (at the end of the Thunder Tower to grab onto Rope Snake dangling from a helicopter). But also see Ness.
:4duckhunt:: Is a very cartoon-y dog can we just let this one pass.
:4littlemac:: Jump rope in his training montage.
:4mii:/:4miif:: Jumps in many of their Party-style games. For gunner specifically, tie to the Metroid game mode in Nintendo Land.
:4palutena:: Is a diety. You can't really complain about a Goddess jumping when she canonically can teleport. Also, pretty sure she jumped in the Palutena's Revolting Dinner animation.
:4villager:/:4villagerf:: Jumps out of pitfall traps.
:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm:: ...Can we just assume that fitness professionals that clearly have manipluation of their legs can do simple jumps?

The difference between these characters and Captain Toad is that the crux of his gameplay is that he can't jump. Both in his missions in 3D World and his new game, the point is that Captain Toad can not jump and thus must navigate the maps in a much less direct way. This is like if Megaman couldn't shoot, Shulk didn't have the Monado, or if Sonic wasn't fast.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
There's a damn good chance we're getting more characters after Mewtwo. Smash seems like the right game to keep these sort of updates going for a year or two. But I wouldn't be surprised if said characters aren't announced until it's way closer to Mewtwo's release.

Though I'm not too sure who's getting in or whatever. I just hope they'll be interesting to use honestly.

It still baffles me Mewtwo was not in the main game.
I don't think Sakurai is that out of touch with the fanbase (or that opposed to pleasing it)

I'm guessing they planned Mewtwo as DLC from the beginning, since they knew that Smash Bros. would sell like crazy Mewtwo or not, but DLC for any Pokemon besides Mewtwo would not sell nearly as well.
Possibly. It's all just a theory unless it's confirmed. Though Charizard could come close in terms of sales, he's pretty popular too.

D

Deleted member

Mewtwo comes off to me like the Miiverse stage; something planned, but unable to be finished until later without delaying the game (and causing more ********). I find the notion that Mewtwo was pre-determined to be DLC to be ridiculous.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Mewtwo comes off to me like the Miiverse stage; something planned, but unable to be finished until later without delaying the game (and causing more *****ing). I find the notion that Mewtwo was pre-determined to be DLC to be ridiculous.
Pre-determined/Day 1/On Disk DLC and Nintendo just don't go together.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Mewtwo comes off to me like the Miiverse stage; something planned, but unable to be finished until later without delaying the game (and causing more *****ing). I find the notion that Mewtwo was pre-determined to be DLC to be ridiculous.
Agreed, especially since Sakurai stated its hard to add back in cut characters that weren't clones or semi clones.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm gonna correct some things about... basically every character whose jumping can be questioned. In almost every case it is done in limited cases or they just haven't seen explicitly jumping while nothing really says that they CAN'T, just that they HAVEN'T.

:olimar:: Can and has jumped. In Pikmin 2, to leave any cave both Olimar and either Louie or The President (depending on what point of the game you are at) must leap up into a Geyser before being launched out with their Pikmin following immediately after. While this is a cutscene, it's a proof that Olimar can and has canonically jumped... legitimately a height that's about two times that of his own.

:025:: Jumps at the end of the animation intro for Pokemon Yellow. In Pokemon Stadium, Pikachus would jump in their victory animatio during the charging mini-game in BOTH versions of this game. He did jumps of joy and leapt off ledges in his spin-off game back on the N64, Hey You, Pikachu! Pokemon Snap I believe had one photo op of a Pikachu that jumped. That is if you want to omit the entire anime function of Pikachu or the idle animations from the Mystery Dungeon games.
:039:: Jumped away from and at their opponent in the Pokemon Blue intro.
:pichumelee:: Jumps in the victory in a minigame, in the intro, and during some attacks in Pokemon Stadium 2.
:mewtwomelee:: Psychic. See Ness.
:squirtle:/:ivysaur:: Jumping Mini-Game in Fire Red/Leaf Green if you needed more justification.
:charizard:: Charizard used Fly! I don't know of a single organism with legs that can fly but not jump.
:lucario:: I'm going to write this off from his film appearance because that is what his voice is based on.
:4greninja:: Jumps in a number of attack animations. For one example, Acrobatics.
:marthmelee:: There was in fact an official anime for Marth's original game. He jumped in it.
:roymelee:: Had yet to appear in a game, so everything was canon in Melee.
:ike:: His game had actual jumping to get up and down ledges. Also Aether.
:4lucina:: Jumps in the cutscene fight with Chrom.
:4robinm:/:4robinf:: Jumps in their critical animation for swords/axes.
:link:: Jumped off many a ledge. Jump Slash
:zeldamelee:: is :sheikmelee: who jumped.
:ganondorfmelee:: Flew. See Charizard.
:falcon64:/:fox64:/:falcomelee:/:wolf:/:rob:: Every part of their moveset is made up of their theme.
:nessmelee:: He doesn't actually jump, it's him manipulating his own body using PSI energy. That's why it has that Sci-Fi sound effect. (Not in any way canon but it's a good enough headcanon).
:lucas:: Actually has jumped (at the end of the Thunder Tower to grab onto Rope Snake dangling from a helicopter). But also see Ness.
:4duckhunt:: Is a very cartoon-y dog can we just let this one pass.
:4littlemac:: Jump rope in his training montage.
:4mii:/:4miif:: Jumps in many of their Party-style games. For gunner specifically, tie to the Metroid game mode in Nintendo Land.
:4palutena:: Is a diety. You can't really complain about a Goddess jumping when she canonically can teleport. Also, pretty sure she jumped in the Palutena's Revolting Dinner animation.
:4villager:/:4villagerf:: Jumps out of pitfall traps.
:4wiifit:/:4wiifitm:: ...Can we just assume that fitness professionals that clearly have manipluation of their legs can do simple jumps?

The difference between these characters and Captain Toad is that the crux of his gameplay is that he can't jump. Both in his missions in 3D World and his new game, the point is that Captain Toad can not jump and thus must navigate the maps in a much less direct way. This is like if Megaman couldn't shoot, Shulk didn't have the Monado, or if Sonic wasn't fast.
That's a valid point I guess. No character who has a less than standard jump recovery has ever been in Smash. Aside from Bowser Jr. I mean obviously. The Clown Car that's been shown to hover in all source material and yet for some reason cannot in Smash.

BUT as you said Captain Toad cannot jump in Treasure Tracker, and thus wouldn't be viable at all.

However;

Captain Toad does have other less standard ways of getting around. He'd just need to be a ground based character like Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom