• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
View attachment 8927
Here's your roster, 'cause I'm bored!
Tell me if I you don't like something, or if I forgot something.
EDIT: or even if you just want a different icon for a character. And if you've already been to the Roster Maker thread, disregard my post
Well I was going to make my own roster tommorow but thanks anyways. Liking the list.

If all the characters were my choice, I know i'd want to get rid of that damn Wii Fit Trainer lol.

andimidna

Smash Master
I like Waluigi in the games he's in because of his ridiculous design and comic hilarity, plus he's usually pretty good; bombs in Mario Kart, being an awesome pitcher in baseball, and a good defender in tennis.

But I've never been interested in seeing him playable in SSB. Sure, he's funny, but he just looks like an entirely excessive character even in the Mario franchise to me, with an abundance of other characters that have more significant roles. I also don't see what he could add that other Mario characters couldn't do better or are already doing.

...But that's always been my opinion on Waluigi.
That was a much lighter approach than your Rosalina video, "I'm just glad it wasn't Waluigi"
I lol'd.
No offense to those who like him, I just don't see how his character has expanded since his debut to where they'd suddenly add him as the 6th rep over BJr and PMario. I don't see the appeal, but if some have reasons they want him, then that's great. That's really all I have to say.

?????????????

Smash Master
Well, as long as we're on the topic of who we have never cared much for to appear playable in SSB4:

-Waluigi
-Dixie Kong
-Baby Mario
-Baby Luigi
-Ashley
-Kat and Ana
-Ghirahim
-Vaati
-Dark Samus
-Black Shadow
-Ninten
-Any new Pokemon Trainer
-Roy returning
-Any cut Melee character (with the exception of Mewtwo)
-Pac-man
-Miis

...Just covering characters I've seen a notable amount of times. And even then, it's not like I have a vendetta against most of these characters; for instance, I would not mind Waluigi, Dixie, Vaati, B. Shadow, Ninten, Roy, Pac-man, or Miis. But I wouldn't really care for them either.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Here's a stance I've had for a while. There are very, very few characters I would mind being in the game, period (Mii is one, the rest are largely random third parties). However, I definitely would mind certain characters appearing if it comes at the expense of others. I can like, say, Waluigi, but if he took development time away from Ridley and the like, that would be infuriating.

?????????????

Smash Master
Here's a stance I've had for a while. There are very, very few characters I would mind being in the game, period (Mii is one, the rest are largely random third parties). However, I definitely would mind certain characters appearing if it comes at the expense of others. I can like, say, Waluigi, but if he took development time away from Ridley and the like, that would be infuriating.
I know what you mean, but I've always found that difficult to gauge. Like what if time spent on Mr. G&W, ROB, and Wii Fit Trainer had been spent on characters I care about more, like Mewtwo or Ridley? Should I be more upset by that, or more interested in how these other characters play?

Theoretically, if Waluigi made it into the game and Ridley did not, but Waluigi wound up being an excellently executed character, should I still be infuriated? I might be, but maybe my opinion was no better.

Not that that should change either your feelings or my own. Just something I wonder.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I know what you mean, but I've always found that difficult to gauge. Like what if time spent on Mr. G&W, ROB, and Wii Fit Trainer had been spent on characters I care about more, like Mewtwo or Ridley? Should I be more upset by that, or more interested in how these other characters play?

Theoretically, if Waluigi made it into the game and Ridley did not, but Waluigi wound up being an excellently executed character, should I still be infuriated? I might be, but maybe my opinion was no better.

Not that that should change either your feelings or my own. Just something I wonder.
That's something I often wonder during all of the Ridley debates. People act as if it's an objective fact that Ridley would be difficult to develop in comparison to other characters, but we really have no way to tell, for him or anyone else. Personally, I place a lot of importance on who characters are, since any character can be made unique, but there are definitely specific characters that stand out above the rest as far as importance goes.

The only thing to really do is know the final roster count, then retroactively argue who should have been added with X characters' worth of development time, which basically boils down to arranging the candidates in a tier list. Heaven knows, there's enough madness with just one tier list on these forums.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
DIDDY KONG CONFIRMED!! By the looks of it, he's much more flexible, so he has a bit more range.

image.jpg

Last edited:

?????????????

Smash Master
Of course, I generally agree with your sentiment. The one thing I question is...

There are definitely specific characters that stand out above the rest as far as importance goes.
I'm not completely sure any character is that set in stone. I know during Brawl's development, I would have said this about Mewtwo, and yet he was apparently a lower priority than every other character on that roster.

In another hypothetical comparison...who is more important between Waluigi and King K. Rool? I would say King K. Rool, since he has a much larger role as a main villain to the franchise he hails from, as opposed to Waluigi who is a character appearing only in spin-off titles with large amounts of playable characters. However, someone could mount an argument that Waluigi is more important, having appeared in more titles total and in more games recently, so he could potentially be seen as a more iconic Nintendo character in general.

So then...does it boil down to Sakurai and co. criteria of what makes a character important?

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Well one more character to the count and we are getting closer and closer to see who will make this time, still waiting for Lucas, Ike, Wolf, Falco, Snake, R.O.B. and Pokemon Trainer. At least Wario, Metaknight, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Mr. Game & Watch, Captain Falcon, Ness, Ganondorf and Yoshi are easy guesses.
.n_n.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
I think we enter a drought of random reveals now.

There aren't a lot of games coming out for a while.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Mar 2 vets
Apr 1 vet 1 newcomer
May 2 vets
June 3 newcomers 3 vets?
July 2 vets
August 1 vet 1 newcomer
Sept 2 vets
October 1 vet 1 newcomer
November 2 vets
December Final Trailer all characters
I don´t think Smash will launch in December, I think it will be sooner maybe in the end of July and start of August after E3.
.n_n.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Character cuts are inevitable.
Man, remember the guys who were cut from 64 to Melee? I miss them a ton.

Characters were cut from Brawl for two reasons.
• Bad time Management.
• Sonic being added in Mid-development.

One of these problems have already been solved, as Sonic was probably planned to be in the game from day 1. I highly doubt that they'll be sticking in another character mid-development ever again, because that probably caused a ton of problems for Brawl.

I imagine the only reason Sakurai really said that he can't promise everyone to come back BECAUSE of what happened in Brawl, the unexpected. Of course, like he said before, he doesn't want to lose anyone this time around. So initially, I highly doubt anybody would intentionally be cut (except for the obvious joke character Pichu and the replaced Young Link).

So no, cuts aren't inevitable. If everything goes as Sakurai plans it to go, (like it did in Melee) we shouldn't be seeing any cuts.

To the Diddy Kong discussion...
I think it's great he's getting some Lanky Kong in him! I mean if DK can imitate Dixie / Tiny with his Up Special, why not give something from someone else to Diddy? I'm happy to see another Kong being referenced into an existing playable one.
Leaves more room for K. Rool :troll:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Now to silently pray that Dixie isn't a separate Newcomer and instead Cranky comes in. :troll:

andimidna

Smash Master
Well, as long as we're on the topic of who we have never cared much for to appear playable in SSB4:

-Waluigi
-Dixie Kong
-Baby Mario
-Baby Luigi
-Ashley
-Kat and Ana
-Ghirahim
-Vaati
-Dark Samus
-Black Shadow
-Ninten
-Any new Pokemon Trainer
-Roy returning
-Pac-man
-Miis

...Just covering characters I've seen a notable amount of times. And even then, it's not like I have a vendetta against most of these characters; for instance, I would not mind Waluigi, Dixie, Vaati, B. Shadow, Ninten, Roy, Pac-man, or Miis. But I wouldn't really care for them either.
That's a nice topic. Ok. And before I do mine:
I would love to see Dixie and Ghirahim.
Ashley is deconfirmed... I'll put some deconfirmed character in my list too
And ouch to Roy, he gets 2 spots on your 'list of don't wants'.
Characters I never really liked the idea of, or wouldn't be very excited about, that get requested a medium amount at the least:
- Dr. Mario
- Paper Mario (sorry pizzadudemanguy)
- Waluigi
- Geno
- Daisy
- Toad
- Shy Guy
- Baby Bros
- Mona
- King K Rool (I know, shocking)
- Vaati
- Tingle
- Toon Zelda and/or Tetra (sorry again)
- Young/Masked/ALBW Link
- Sylux
- Black Shadow
- Ninten
- Pichu
- Roy
I'll continue later, but I have to go hype about Diddy

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Diddy!
Just Diddy!
I don't mean to rub salt in the wounds of those who actually wanted the Diddy-Dixie duo, but...
YES
I actually did have a mini-freakout when I saw that picture of Diddy. It completely escaped me that Tropical Freeze was coming out today, so I wasn't even thinking of an announcement. It only made it better to be honest.

So, to those who went with the duo prediction, what are your expectations for the roster of DK characters now? Will you just move Dixie to her own slot, or ditch her entirely and put in K. Rool? Or if you had the duo and K. Rool, will you give Dixie her own slot and ditch K. Rool instead?
Or maybe...
are you...
Craaaaanky? :troll:

D

Deleted member

The bigger thing here is.....Sakurai actually did a reveal on a non-Japan release date.
You know what that means? The last of the Perfect Attendance Crew could very well be revealed next month.

andimidna

Smash Master
Diddy got me tripping, stumbling, flipping, fumbling
Clumsy cause I'm falling again
Diddy got me slipping, tumbling, sinking, fumbling
Clumsy cause I'm falling again
Dem Bananas

Lyrics by me, no other influence at all... Isn't it beautiful?

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be awkward having Wario and Waluigi represent different series.
THAT I can certainly agree with. They're often associated with each other more than with any other character in the games they appear in together, so to see them split up with Waluigi representing Super Mario instead of WarioWare (or Wario games in general) would be odd. Ah well.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

-Waluigi
-Dixie Kong
-Baby Mario
-Baby Luigi
-Ashley
-Kat and Ana
-Ghirahim
-Vaati
-Dark Samus
-Black Shadow
-Ninten
-Any new Pokemon Trainer
-Roy returning
-Pac-man
-Miis

Ah so it's ones we don't care about seeing not necessarily hate?

-K. Rool
-Ridley
-Palutena
-Takamaru
-Chrom
-Lucina
-Chrom AND Lucina combo
-Any third party that isn't Pac-Man or to a lesser extent Bomberman or Rayman.
-Any other Wario character bar Wario himself.
-Any other Yoshi character bar Yoshi himself.
-A secondary Pikmin character
-Paper Mario unless partners were heavily included in the moveset
-Shulk
-Any other Kid Icarus character
-Ninten
-Masked Man
-Any Zelda option outside Vaati, Tetra, Tingle or Impa.
-Cranky
-Mii

Before anyone asks I did like Little Mac. I'm not a total outcast.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well Diddy's back. And he's taking Lanky's gimmick too. He's got them Banana Peels for days. So I guess this deconfirmes him being in a duo now. Not that most of us thought it would happen.

andimidna

Smash Master
Ah so it's ones we don't care about seeing not necessarily hate?

-K. Rool
-Ridley
-Palutena
-Takamaru
-Chrom
-Lucina
-Chrom AND Lucina combo
-Any third party that isn't Pac-Man or to a lesser extent Bomberman or Rayman.
-Any other Wario character bar Wario himself.
-Any other Yoshi character bar Yoshi himself.
-A secondary Pikmin character
-Paper Mario unless partners were heavily included in the moveset
-Shulk
-Any other Kid Icarus character
-Ninten
-Masked Man
-Any Zelda option outside Vaati, Tetra, Tingle or Impa.
-Cranky
-Mii

Before anyone asks I did like Little Mac. I'm not a total outcast.
I think you will definitely be disappointed in the official final roster :eek:

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
BuffKnux56 on the forum i go on bring up a pretty good argument for Waluigi

I'm going to try to predict something right now. Even though we already have a new Mario rep, and a really cool one to, I think we still might get Waluigi. Not as a Mario rep, but as a Wario rep. And I'll also guess because of his "style", his trailer will involve parodying multiple past trailers. Even though he is not in any Wario games up to this point, he still seems to be a pretty strong pick for a character associated with Wario. I'd imagine him playing similar to how I would have imagined the Mii playing, that is, using multiple sports equipment. I was skeptical hearing him as a possibility at first, but researching about him and his pure craziness made me grow kind of attached. So if Sakurai wants it, my body is ready.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I think many people will be, regardless. Sakurai can't please everyone, no matter how hard he tries.
He pleases me just fine.

As for Smash, I think that it's a compromise between desired characters, and seeing the actual characters in action. Look at Little Mac detractors who turned around after seeing him in action. Whether or not your picks get in, I think there will be enough characters for everyone to gravitate toward (I already have Luigi and WFT at the moment, and I'm sure more will come).

D

Deleted member

I'd personally be all for that idea.
Shame that it is on the shallow end of the pool of likelihood.

Minato Arisato

Smash Ace
NNID
ShinyBachuru
3DS FC
1392-5292-2267
True, even if Sakurai added everybody ever requested, people would complain that the roster is too big.
And even if Sakurai adds the most requested character, people will complain he's OP.
You know what I'd like to see? A link to that character popularity poll.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Honestly, I thought Little Mac was one of the most obvious newcomers for this game, even before they showed the initial trailer.

I imagine the only reason Sakurai really said that he can't promise everyone to come back BECAUSE of what happened in Brawl, the unexpected. Of course, like he said before, he doesn't want to lose anyone this time around. So initially, I highly doubt anybody would intentionally be cut (except for the obvious joke character Pichu and the replaced Young Link).

So no, cuts aren't inevitable. If everything goes as Sakurai plans it go (like it did in Melee) we shouldn't be seeing any cuts.
I always interpreted Sakurai's statement as saying he didn't have time to bring back characters who were cut from Melee... which I really took as a rejection of Roy (and to some extent Dr. Mario). I would be surprised if Mewtwo doesn't make it back in because of fan demand, as he's easily the most requested first party character. I'm sure they have a priority list, though.. which is what everyone expects here, but what's in priority is the question -- revamping and bettering existing characters, or adding new ones?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom