• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Fine. If I have to predict who I personally in my own admittedly biased opinion is likely for DLC:

1.) Mewtwo! (nss)
2.) Wolf
3.) Isaac
4.) King K. Rool
5.) Lucas
6.) Dixie Kong
7.) Ice Climbers (on the bottom due to the possibility they won't work on 3DS at all, which I personally think is slim)
8.) Lip (I wish)

The only characters I really really want are Isaac and K. Rool. I do want Dixie Kong as well, I just want K. Rool a lot more.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Dixie Kong is, in my humble, unbiased opinion, and I mean that as I have never played Donkey Kong Country, Dixie Kong and King K Rool are the two most likely newcomers.

In that order.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Dixie Kong is, in my humble, unbiased opinion, and I mean that as I have never played Donkey Kong Country, Dixie Kong and King K Rool are the two most likely newcomers.

In that order.
Personally, I think a DK newcomer in general is one of the most likely possibilities for DLC. The DK series itself is huge, incredibly important to Nintendo, is very popular, and has two beloved characters that are highly requested for Smash not currently on the roster. Couple that with the recent release of the critically praised Tropical Freeze, and you have a series that is practically perfect for receiving a DLC character. Much like Mewtwo, a new DK character is simply an ideal choice, and as such, I think it's one of the most likely possibilities.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Even better is if they announced a number of Assist Trophies making the jump to playable.

Ghirahim, Dillon, Ashley, Ghirahim, Saki, Goroh, Ghirahim, Takamaru, Ghirahim...
Oh, and I almost forgot...Infantry! Also, Ghirahim.
In before people whine about "durr too many swordsman" :troll:

But all jokes aside, it would seem like a good idea in text. Then there's the fact that they have to remove the AT codes, repatch everything else involving their data, and create new models from scratch for them to be playable. Overall, it's a lot of work and you might even wait for more than a year in order for that AT to have that DLC playable promotion. I may not have that much knowledge on gaming design, but I do know that a lot needs to be done in order for that to happen. I wouldn't mind if the team would be willing to take that risk.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
DLC newcomers is really a pain to discuss because we have very little to go off of. Right now, I am VERY confident in a Zelda newcomer, preferably Impa. The only other one I'd get excited over would be Snake. I imagine you lot have seen the image of the event match "Solidarity". So many Snake and other Metal Gear references!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
In before people whine about "durr too many swordsman" :troll:

But all jokes aside, it would seem like a good idea in text. Then there's the fact that they have to remove the AT codes, repatch everything else involving their data, and create new models from scratch for them to be playable. Overall, it's a lot of work and you might even wait for more than a year in order for that AT to have that DLC playable promotion. I may not have that much knowledge on gaming design, but I do know that a lot needs to be done in order for that to happen. I wouldn't mind if the team would be willing to take that risk.
No, no, I'm not saying they have to remove the Assist Trophies....they could just replace them with silhouettes or something...
Actually removing the Assist Trophies from the game's code is probably impossible with DLC anyway.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
DLC newcomers is really a pain to discuss because we have very little to go off of. Right now, I am VERY confident in a Zelda newcomer, preferably Vaati. The only other one I'd get excited over would be Snake. I imagine you lot have seen the image of the event match "Solidarity". So many Snake and other Metal Gear references!
Fix'd.
Also, my complete stance on this too. :awesome:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
DLC newcomers is really a pain to discuss because we have very little to go off of. Right now, I am VERY confident in a Zelda newcomer, preferably Impa. The only other one I'd get excited over would be Snake. I imagine you lot have seen the image of the event match "Solidarity". So many Snake and other Metal Gear references!
There was also a direct reference to the Snake codec calls in the Direct, when the announcer was talking about Palutena's Guidance. I'm not sure it means anything, but it's worth pointing out.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
I mean, there are so many possibilities for newcomers that I can't even keep up.

Don't even get me started on why the hell Wolf and Ice Climbers seem to be getting the complete shaft.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
No, no, I'm not saying they have to remove the Assist Trophies....they could just replace them with silhouettes or something...
Actually removing the Assist Trophies from the game's code is probably impossible with DLC anyway.
That later part is true though. What am I saying, there should be no logic in the world of Smash. Riki is both an Assist and a part of Shulk's Final Smash so seeing a playable AT next to the original wouldn't be that weird. The silhouette suggestion could work if it is too awkward.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
We can base something for DLC predictions with Mewtwo, and that's marketability.
Really? I'm not quite sure about that, actually. Don't get me wrong, Mewtwo is definitely marketable, but nowadays most of the focus is on Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, which Mewtwo has no part in. He was a big deal back when X and Y were the latest thing and the roster was initially being developed, but that's not entirely the case now. If it was pure marketability that mattered most, then perhaps a character like Blaziken or Sceptile would have made it in instead.

That's not to say marketability isn't a factor, but with only Mewtwo to go by, we can't really determine if it really is one. That's what makes this whole DLC thing so tricky; since there's only one character to go off of, it's difficult to determine what factors led to the character being chosen, and if those factors will be considered with future DLC characters.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That later part is true though. What am I saying, there should be no logic in the world of Smash. Riki is both an Assist and a part of Shulk's Final Smash so seeing a playable AT next to the original wouldn't be that weird. The silhouette suggestion could work if it is too awkward.
Exactly.
Assist Trophies are not playable because they're not supposed to be playable and because they didn't intend to spend that much effort on that character...because they are an Assist Trophy, not a character.
With DLC, that is alleviated. They have more time to work on more characters. And if the characters everyone wants is an Assist Trophy?
Nothing is stopping the developers from changing that. They would definitely have to make a way for players to differentiate AT's and players. But in a game where you can play the same character with eight players, and characters are both Assist Trophies and Final Smashes, I don't think having the same character have multiple roles is an issue.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well, here's my list in terms of likeliness

S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Krystal

B tier
Sceptile, Lana

C tier
King K Rool, Lucas

LOL tier
Bandana Dee, Isaac

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Krystal

B tier
Sceptile, Lana

C tier
King K Rool, Lucas

LOL tier
Bandana Dee, Isaac
Um... Why are Bandana Dee and Isaac, two popular character requests, in "LOL" tier? And why is Krystal, who would be a fourth character from a relatively small series and hasn't even appeared in her own series in years, ranked so high?

D

Deleted member

Um... Why are Bandana Dee and Isaac, two popular character requests, in "LOL" tier? And why is Krystal, who would be a fourth character from a relatively small series and hasn't even appeared in her own series in years, ranked so high?
Because bias.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Krystal

B tier
Sceptile, Lana

C tier
King K Rool, Lucas

LOL tier
Bandana Dee, Isaac
I have an honest question for you.

Why the hell are you so confident in Lana being a DLC character? I mean, you're free to believe what you want, but... this one I just don't understand in any way, shape, or form. Do you actually know anything at all about the Zelda franchise? I mean, I legitimately want to know because it honestly sounds to me like you've never played a Zelda game in your life except Hyrule Warriors.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Because having Wolf and Krystal in the game as DLC content would be better advertising for the Year of StarFox and the new StarFox Wii u game coming out next year.

From what I know, Bandana Dee was created for Return to Dreamland, which was after Sakurai gave up Kirby. I would've put him at the B tier had I seen a good potential moveset for him, which unfortunately, I do NOT.

And I don't really think Isaac is as likely as he is perceived to be.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Because having Wolf and Krystal in the game as DLC content would be better advertising for the Year of StarFox and the new StarFox Wii u game coming out next year.
That's true, but are two DLC Star Fox characters really that likely? Think about it; it's taking them months just to complete Mewtwo. Adding additional characters to the game is not an easy task. Do you really think that they would use up that much time to add two additional Star Fox characters just for a bit of advertisement? Wouldn't it be smarter to make the DLC characters more diverse?

From what I know, Bandana Dee was created for Return to Dreamland, which was after Sakurai gave up Kirby. I would've put him at the B tier had I seen a good potential moveset for him, which unfortunately, I do NOT.
Well, I can.

So, that's a pretty subjective thing.

I can understand that, but LOL tier?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Bandana Dee was created a long time ago, you're completely wrong about that. Bandana Dee has been in six Kirby games total, and Return to Dream Land was his FOURTH game overall. Granted, his roles are relatively minor except Return to Dream Land, but he's definitely fairly important to the franchise. I totally agree that I think his chances are vastly overrated, but clearly you just dismissed a character because you don't know anything about the character, and suggest that Lana, a third-party Zelda character who has next-to-no chance of ever appearing outside of a Hyrule Warriors game, has a greater chance than Bandana Dee who appeared in 6 Kirby games, with a fairly major role in each of them.

I love it how a LOL tier was created, yet "Lana" is in B tier, while Bandana Dee and Isaac are in the so-called "LOL" tier. The only "LOL" tier character on that list is Lana... -_-

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Actually he first showed up in Super Star. EDIT: :4greninja:'d

DLC speculation isn't very deep right now, but I believe a DK newcomer is the most likely DLC character.

Like Mewtwo, a DK newcomer is highly requested, and would definitely be popular and well-received.

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
That's true, but are two DLC Star Fox characters really that likely? Think about it; it's taking them months just to complete Mewtwo. Adding additional characters to the game is not an easy task. Do you really think that they would use up that much time to add two additional Star Fox characters just for a bit of advertisement? Wouldn't it be smarter to make the DLC characters more diverse?

Well, I can.

So, that's a pretty subjective thing.

StarFox: I'm thinking he must've started production when the Year of StarFox was announced at E3.

Bandana Dee: well, to each his own.

Isaac: I guess you can call me biased since I've never played Golden Sun, I'll admit that.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Clearly the most likely Zelda character is Midna Tetra Toon Zelda Tingle Skull Kid Impa Vaati, right? :p
But in all seriousness, as much as I would like Lana's moveset potential, there's no reason to include her, really.

She's not popular, and if they wanted to promote Hyrule Warriors, well, they could include that version of Impa, since Impa is a popular request for Smash. But then the question lies in WHY would they want to promote Hyrule Warriors when that game is basically promotion for Zelda. Why not cut the middle-man and just include a new Zelda character?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Actually he first showed up in Super Star. EDIT: :4greninja:'d

DLC speculation isn't very deep right now, but I believe a DK newcomer is the most likely DLC character.

Like Mewtwo, a DK newcomer is highly requested, and would definitely be popular and well-received.
I think you need to rethink your statement. Its not merely "A" DK newcomer. Its Dixie Kong or K. Rool, no contest. They're the next two most important characters in the franchise and two of the most popular DK characters in general.

Clearly the most likely Zelda character is Midna Tetra Toon Zelda Tingle Skull Kid Impa Vaati, right? :p
But in all seriousness, as much as I would like Lana's moveset potential, there's no reason to include her, really.

She's not popular, and if they wanted to promote Hyrule Warriors, well, they could include that version of Impa, since Impa is a popular request for Smash. But then the question lies in WHY would they want to promote Hyrule Warriors when that game is basically promotion for Zelda? Why not skip out on the middle-man and just include a new Zelda character?
Exactly my point. If Hyrule Warriors would be referenced with a new playable character in any way, it'd be a character who has actually appeared in main games, Impa the clear obvious winner. Especially based on how much Impa gets differentiated in HW from Sheik.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Personally, I would prefer Hyrule Warriors to not be acknowledged, I feel it would be counter-intuitive.
If Impa gets in, I hope it is a clone of Sheik, with maybe a couple new moves.
To be honest, I wish Impa has replaced Sheik, but that obviously didn't happen.

Next in line for my Zelda wishlist is obviously Ghirahim and Midna, but **** those guys amirite.

Next would be Tetra. Pirates are awesome. She could actually use Wind Waker items like the Grappling Hook, the Sail, and they would make sense since she's a pirate. She's also popular and prominent.

G0LD3N L0TUS

Smash Lord
NNID
G0LD3N_L0TUS
3DS FC
3007-8158-6601
YAY, ZELDA!!!!

Well, Impa is by far my favourite choice, as I'm sure many know already. But, Tingle is also really up there. All I care about is a 6th Zelda rep, which I'm confident in since Ganondorf is now a starter.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
I'm questioning to like this post right now or not. I can't say I'm fond of your sarcasm, to say the least. Time to grab the shovel, I guess. :evil::demon:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Even better is if they announced a number of Assist Trophies making the jump to playable.

Ghirahim, Dillon, Ashley, Ghirahim, Saki, Goroh, Ghirahim, Takamaru, Ghirahim...
Oh, and I almost forgot...Infantry! Also, Ghirahim.
Skull Kid. You forgot Skull Kid.

There's your perfect 6th Zelda rep.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Last time I checked, isn't Lana as a Scrappy to begin with? I mean all characters that debuted in Smash were well loved characters in their respective franchises (with Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and to a lesser extent Wii Fit Trainer as the only exceptions). Besides, any relevant Zelda characters that originated from a canon game like Impa or Tingle (Who is dead unless there will be "deconfirmed" AT promotions) are arguably more deserving to be in Smash first.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Personally, I would prefer Hyrule Warriors to not be acknowledged, I feel it would be counter-intuitive.
If Impa gets in, I hope it is a clone of Sheik, with maybe a couple new moves.
To be honest, I wish Impa has replaced Sheik, but that obviously didn't happen.

Next in line for my Zelda wishlist is obviously Ghirahim and Midna, but **** those guys amirite.

Next would be Tetra. Pirates are awesome. She could actually use Wind Waker items like the Grappling Hook, the Sail, and they would make sense since she's a pirate. She's also popular and prominent.
Well, for Impa, I imagine her being a cross between Sheik and Zelda. But honestly I do agree, I'd have rather had Sheik replaced by Impa outright.

The character I'd really like to see from Zelda has no chance of ever making it so I never really brought it up much, that's why in general I kept suggesting Impa more than anyone. I'm just happy that my favorite Zelda character was the only OOT 3D trophy added to Smash 3DS that wasn't a recurring character. I always thought she was one of the more important and memorable characters in OOT and that kinda helped cement it even more for me.

It'd have been somewhat more realistic if she made it into Hyrule Warriors... which honestly I thought that was a sure thing, especially when we got Agitha of all characters. :p Well, there's still DLC, but until an OOT DLC pack is announced I'll still be waiting anxiously, hoping ever so slightly in the unlikely scenario than a non-TP/MM character is added in those packs...

Last time I checked, isn't Lana as a Scrappy to begin with? I mean all characters that debuted in Smash were well loved characters in their respective franchises (with Duck Hunt, R.O.B., and to a lesser extent Wii Fit Trainer as the only exceptions). Besides, any relevant Zelda characters that originated from a canon game like Impa or Tingle (Who is dead unless there will be "deconfirmed" AT promotions) are arguably more deserving to be in Smash first.
Lana is actually semi-popular, a lot of people do like her. But she's got a huge mixed reaction in general. Although its mostly for stupid reasons, namely her feeling like she's too "anime." Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed they went with this storyline and didn't include one of the biggest characters who would fit into such a storyline... I've heard people comment on how said character maybe just "didn't fit" into the story they were going with, and I fell for it at first. Then I took a step back and realized "WTF am I thinking? She'd fit into this storyline PERFECTLY."

Either way, doesn't matter much. Hyrule Warriors isn't likely to get represented in Smash Bros. at all, let alone a character exclusive to HW. I mean, yeah, our expectations aren't always accurate, but I'd say in general most people would agree with the notion that Lana is extremely unlikely.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I doubt Lana will see much action outside Hyrule Warriors... and It's possible sequel. :troll:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I think you need to rethink your statement. Its not merely "A" DK newcomer. Its Dixie Kong or K. Rool, no contest. They're the next two most important characters in the franchise and two of the most popular DK characters in general.
That's kinda exactly what I meant by "DK Newcomer." I think everyone knows those are the only two that have a chance.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Lana is essentially the new Geno.
As such she has a miniscule chance of being in Smash, especially as DLC.
Not really. Lana has more of a chance of coming back, but only because there's a high likelihood of future Hyrule Warriors games, especially if HW sells quite well (and so far it has exceeded expectations). Geno has no chance of ever appearing in a game again. So in a sense, she's in a better situation. SLIGHTLY better.

That's kinda exactly what I meant by "DK Newcomer." I think everyone knows those are the only two that have a chance.
Not everyone. A lot of people legitimately think that because Cranky appeared as a playable character in ONE DK platformer after years of being an NPC throughout the DKC games, that he's extremely likely to be chosen as a playable character when as a whole he's far more interesting as an NPC than he is playable. Honestly, Cranky loses his charm being made playable, because his charm was in him complaining to you and saying how he'd always be able to beat the game in a flash.

Morbi

Scavenger
Well, for Impa, I imagine her being a cross between Sheik and Zelda. But honestly I do agree, I'd have rather had Sheik replaced by Impa outright.

The character I'd really like to see from Zelda has no chance of ever making it so I never really brought it up much, that's why in general I kept suggesting Impa more than anyone. I'm just happy that my favorite Zelda character was the only OOT 3D trophy added to Smash 3DS that wasn't a recurring character. I always thought she was one of the more important and memorable characters in OOT and that kinda helped cement it even more for me.

It'd have been somewhat more realistic if she made it into Hyrule Warriors... which honestly I thought that was a sure thing, especially when we got Agitha of all characters. :p Well, there's still DLC, but until an OOT DLC pack is announced I'll still be waiting anxiously, hoping ever so slightly in the unlikely scenario than a non-TP/MM character is added in those packs...

Lana is actually semi-popular, a lot of people do like her. But she's got a huge mixed reaction in general. Although its mostly for stupid reasons, namely her feeling like she's too "anime." Honestly, I'm kinda disappointed they went with this storyline and didn't include one of the biggest characters who would fit into such a storyline... I've heard people comment on how said character maybe just "didn't fit" into the story they were going with, and I fell for it at first. Then I took a step back and realized "WTF am I thinking? She'd fit into this storyline PERFECTLY."

Either way, doesn't matter much. Hyrule Warriors isn't likely to get represented in Smash Bros. at all, let alone a character exclusive to HW. I mean, yeah, our expectations aren't always accurate, but I'd say in general most people would agree with the notion that Lana is extremely unlikely.
Extremely unlikely characters are not impossible, as you mentioned. Lana does not appear to be the most likely; however, I could probably cite a couple of characters that were perceived in such a way but were included anyways.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Just to check, is there any Gunpei Yokoi achievement/device that isn't represented yet?

D

Deleted member

Not everyone. A lot of people legitimately think that because Cranky appeared as a playable character in ONE DK platformer after years of being an NPC throughout the DKC games, that he's extremely likely to be chosen as a playable character when as a whole he's far more interesting as an NPC than he is playable. Honestly, Cranky loses his charm being made playable, because his charm was in him complaining to you and saying how he'd always be able to beat the game in a flash.
Rosalina's more interesting as a NPC.
Duck Hunt Dog's more interesting as a NPC.
Palutena's more interesting as a NPC.
Ganondorf's more interesting as a NPC.
Zel-wait, scratch that. Rarely has she been interesting.
etc.

Maybe you don't see the charm in Cranky proving he's more than just talk, but that doesn't mean the original Donkey Kong shouldn't be playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom