• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Not much to discuss anymore... we're all too busy playing the actual game. :laugh:

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
mark welford, just give it up.
You're starting to look obsessive and pathetic, and it makes me ashamed to have a similar name to yours.
Don't you think that's a bit over the top? I mean, all he's doing is stating facts about it, and he IS right. Beta placeholders have been seen, such as Diddy Kong's artwork from Brawl in the first Smash Direct.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Don't you think that's a bit over the top? I mean, all he's doing is stating facts about it, and he IS right. Beta placeholders have been seen, such as Diddy Kong's artwork from Brawl in the first Smash Direct.
That doesn't make the leak any more credible, and I wish to inquire your source about this Diddy Kong thing.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
That doesn't make the leak any more credible, and I wish to inquire your source about this Diddy Kong thing.
Did you not catch it during the Smash Direct? I figured everyone did.

Anywho... I made a crack dream DLC wish roster, check it out:

DLC.png

Sucks, I know. I'd like to get your opinions on this roster.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
Then why isn't wolf using his official brawl art like diddy is here?
I was just giving the source, I think the "leak" is as fake as you believe it is.

Anyway, we need to talk about the real leak here:

It looks incredible to me. I cannot wait to play as Knuckles the Enchilada. Thoughts? this is a joke

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Ideally, we get a major newcomer or two, Lucas and Wolf, MAYBE Snake, and MAYBE Roy.

I really feel like Roy should've gotten Lucinas spot as 'Marth clone' (shots fired I know)

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Ok I'll make a topic, thoughts on my predictions for DLC?:
Where's Bandana Dee on this list? I get opinions and all, but do you really think Geno and another Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus character have higher chances than him?

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
Where's Bandana Dee on this list? I get opinions and all, but do you really think Geno and another Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus character have higher chances than him?
Geno is infinitly more iconic than Bandana Dee ever will be.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Geno is infinitly more iconic than Bandana Dee ever will be.
Wot.

Side character in one old game plus tiny cameo in another old game is more iconic than an arguably main character who is also based on the most iconic enemy from Kirby, and continues to appear in each new game in his series?

k den

@ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11
Liking the DLC choices there. Tharja is a little out there, but ever since her trophy was removed, I kinda had thoughts about her being a Robin semi-clone. Still, the trophy was probably removed for ratings reasons, but it's fun to think about it.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You're severely underestimating Isaac.

I can't see Xenoblade getting a second rep before Golden Sun gets one. (I'd love to see Fiora though)
Young Link is pretty much Toon Link now. They fill the exact same role. (Unless you want to be bias and pretend otherwise)
Haven't a clue who the character next to Wolf is, but my gut says not a hope.
I really really can't see Masked Man happening. Two Mother dlc characters? You're not serious right?
Tharja seemingly had her trophy removed by the ESRB. Not exactly solid grounds for a playable character. It would also be a third awakening character.
I could see Roy as an alt costume. Since Lucina is already the Marth clone.
Even Snake, Ivysaur, Squirtle, Pichu, Bayonetta, Layton and Hades are somewhat questionable right now. (Even though I'd love to see Bayonetta)
As for Geno....don't even go there. A minor third party character who appeared in just one game years ago? Not to mention I can't see Square accepting Geno as their rep. They'd surely ask for a character more readily associated with them.

In my opinion all of these characters have more holding them back than Isaac right now.

I'll give you Dixie Kong, Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Chorus Men and Mewtwo. (obviously)

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Did you not catch it during the Smash Direct? I figured everyone did.

Anywho... I made a crack dream DLC wish roster, check it out:

View attachment 28825

Sucks, I know. I'd like to get your opinions on this roster.
I'm gonna be honest on a few things here, and this is gonna be a bit harsh,
1) Toad will not be playable anytime soon. Even in the argument of "Why Bandanna Dee if you say Captain Toad can't happen," I stand firm because Captain Toad in 3D world did nothing but walk around and fall and even in his own game, his powers got extended to throwing turnips and swinging a Pickax akin to the Hammer item... he just doesn't intrinsically bring anything to the table for how "minor" of a character toads are. Plus.. Mario franchise really doesn't need a new rep this game.
2) I don't get why people are clingy to Impa so much. Her biggest role before Sm4sh was the Sheikish plot-progressor Ninja character in Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors is a "non-canon" game that will at best see a sequel in 5+ years. She just isn't big enough in the main franchise. And... when you look at the previous Zelda reps, we have 3 Links, 2 Zeldas (almost 4 in Brawl), and 1 Ganondorf. If anything, the WizPig Ganon is the most likely Zelda Newcomer.
3) Roy was one of the worst FE lords in terms of personality, plot, and usefulness. His flames and strength got delegated to Ike and practically everything else to Lucina. With Roy the Koopaling, I thought Roy could be officially closed from discussion.
4) Why Rayman? Sakurai's BIG point on the "Star Power" of 3rd Party characters shut the doors on characters not on the A or S-Rank Celebrity level akin to Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man. Rayman's series was really... only like 5 games, because the like other 10 games were featuring the Rabbids and basically weeded out Rayman from them all.

That said, Lucas and Wolf are very likely to return and Isaac is possible if he isn't a Wii-U exclusive Trophy like many theorize due to there being NO Golden Sun trophies in the 3DS version.

1) 15 DLC character just.... isn't going to happen, period.
2) Mewtwo's confirmed. Icies, Wolf and Lucas are all highly likely veterans.
3) Snake, alongside the other 3 in your 3rd Party line.. and sadly Geno don't match the "Star-Power" that Sakurai stated about 3rd Party characters this time around. Even with Snake being a veteran, he has a spiritual replacement in how DHD and MM work. And... frankly, most of how people envisioned Bayonetta's play-style got in via the new ZSS.
4) Pichu gave nothing to the Melee Roster, Young Link was point-blank replaced by Toon Link. What even are their differences besides the taunt and Y.Link's arrows had a fire effect to them? I said my point about Roy as the 3rd subject in the other roster. The other Melee clones just aren't coming back.
5) Tharja is not a Fire Emblem protagonist which goes against the other 5 representatives (and the considered Chrom) and the mage front (including Dark tomes) from Awakening.
6) Masked Man is highly unlikely considered how much Mother 3 content is already dropped (1 3DS Trophy - Lucas, dropped its representative AND stage, finally... no new stage for it seen on the WiiU, just Onett returning and Magicant being shared. The latter of the two stages being tied only to Mother 1+2).
7) Unlike the Sheik-Zelda thing in Melee, I feel like the spoilers revolving around Fiora would make her unviable as a character since Xenoblade is getting "restarted" on the New 3DS I BELIEVE next year. Haha. Point 7.
8) Hades.... I personally can't see. Dark Pit over-extended the reach for Uprising in the eyes of most of the community and Sakurai knows it.
9) Trimming down your DLC to Mewtwo, Icies, Lucas, Wolf, Chorus Men, and Dixie seems a lot more possible. You said this was PREDICTION, not DESIRE.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Why Rayman?

Well he does have a trophy in the Wii U version. At this point knowing what we know, rational thought would lead to thinking Rayman is currently the most likely 3rd party dlc character.

Maybe something else will come to light that disrupts that but until then Rayman has a very clear reason for being considered likely for dlc.

Right now I don't see a concrete reason to believe any other 3rd party character is more likely. (It does make me sad though, since I'd much prefer Bayonetta)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Why Rayman?
Well he does have a trophy in the Wii U version. At this point knowing what we know, rational thought would lead to thinking Rayman is currently the most likely 3rd party dlc character.
Maybe something else will come to light that disrupts that but until then Rayman has a very clear reason for being considered likely for dlc.
Right now I don't see a concrete reason to believe any other 3rd party character is more likely. (It does make me sad though, since I'd much prefer Bayonetta)
You're not seriously comparing Rayman to Bayonetta, are you?
Rayman is a seriously popular franchise that has had more games on Nintendo's consoles that Bayonetta has total, so...

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I don't think we will be getting any third party characters as DLC, but if we did, there are only two i would be okay with.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Others can stay away.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
You're not seriously comparing Rayman to Bayonetta, are you?
Rayman is a seriously popular franchise that has had more games on Nintendo's consoles that Bayonetta has total, so...
I said I'd prefer Bayonetta. Personal opinion.

I never compared them. Read what I said again.

Anybody could tell you Rayman is more successful/popular than Bayonetta.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You're severely underestimating Isaac.

I can't see Xenoblade getting a second rep before Golden Sun gets one. (I'd love to see Fiora though)

Young Link is pretty much Toon Link now. They fill the exact same role. (Unless you want to be bias and pretend otherwise)

I'll give you Dixie Kong, Lucas, Wolf, Ice Climbers, Chorus Men and Mewtwo. (obviously)
I'm still on the opinion that Camelot's failure with GS's recent installment will prevent Isaac's inclusion.

Bear in mind, that most of the DLC characters (aside from third-parties) are franchises who already had a playable character before. (Shulk for example)

And I believe Sakurai will take the opportunity to add characters who have been in only one game, but have tons of moveset potential (or recognizability) to help their inclusion. (Although now I'm getting iffy on Geno)

I treat Young Link and Toon Link as seperate characters regardless what you say.

It's boring to say that the six characters (you mention) will be the only plausible bets, I still want to be open minded and take a risk. :p

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, here goes nothin'. Characters I realistically would like to see for DLC:

Mewtwo (aww yeah~)
Lucas
Wolf
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Chorus Kids
Isaac
Bandana Dee
Impa
Wonder Red
Inkling
Professor Layton (ever so slightly tongue-in-cheek about this guy)

Not all of them, of course. Pick your favourites~ ;P

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Here's a list of characters I wouldn't mind to see as DLC, but at the same time, I don't expect.

Isaac
Chorus Men
Impa
Toon Zelda
Vaati
Micaiah
Ephraim
Lip
Inkling
Wonder Red

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well, here goes nothin'. Characters I realistically would like to see for DLC:
Mewtwo (aww yeah~)
Lucas
Wolf
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
Chorus Kids
Isaac
Bandana Dee
Impa
Wonder Red
Inkling
Professor Layton (ever so slightly tongue-in-cheek about this guy)
Not all of them, of course. Pick your favourites~ ;P
Of those:
Inkling, King K Rool, and Wolf.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's boring to say that the six characters (you mention) will be the only plausible bets, I still want to be open minded and take a risk. :p
Actually I don't think they're the only plausible bets. To those six I would add Isaac, Inkling, K Rool and Rayman.

Also you're free to take risks but that doesn't make them plausible.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
3) Snake, alongside the other 3 in your 3rd Party line.. and sadly Geno don't match the "Star-Power" that Sakurai stated about 3rd Party characters this time around. Even with Snake being a veteran, he has a spiritual replacement in how DHD and MM work
Wut.

Snake is probably more of Video Game Superstar than Mega Man. Snake is a gaming legend, and Geno is nothing compared to him.

DHD and MM have zoning games, but Snake still plays differently from how those two play. Snake was a trap setter and controlled the stage based on where you placed explosives. The former two are heavily based on spacing using projectiles. So they really haven't taken Snake place via spiritual replacement.

---

I may contribute my own DLC roster thing in a bit. I need to re-download the program.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
The majority here just pull one-liners of "I hope *insert popular character* gets in as DLC."
There's no substantial discussion. :p
And the minority goes like me and say "I hope Paper Mario gets in as DLC" :)

Doesn't have to be popular you know.

There's also the fact that I seem to find a lot like me that went to the social group way of support. It<s just that it's more suited for long term support unless your character is VERY popular.

Mostly because of the thread bumping. It's harder to have an unpopular pick on first page, but if you have a previous support base, a group solve those problems...

Add also people playing a lot online so...there's pretty much a big decrease in discussion :)

Burruni

Smash Hero
Wut.

Snake is probably more of Video Game Superstar than Mega Man. Snake is a gaming legend, and Geno is nothing compared to him.

DHD and MM have zoning games, but Snake still plays differently from how those two play. Snake was a trap setter and controlled the stage based on where you placed explosives. The former two are heavily based on spacing using projectiles. So they really haven't taken Snake place via spiritual replacement.

---

I may contribute my own DLC roster thing in a bit. I need to re-download the program.
My stance will still be that Metal Gear Solid has been a big series since the PS1 and is one of few series Sony managed to keep going across multiple platforms. However, in the span of those that shaped gaming history, we look at who is currently on the roster.

:4pacman:: Universally accepted as one of gaming's forefathers and in terms of how iconic he is, Pac-Man is an S-Tier celebrity.
:4sonic:: The Sega v Nintendo war as a lot more direct and heated by the companies than what can be said about Sony v Nintendo v Microsoft. The series that put platforming to incredible speeds and is probably the most iconic gaming franchise leader other than Mario or Pikachu.
:4megaman:: Jump 'n' Shoot Man. A series that has spanned out into multiple different series and iterations of itself with varying levels but it has a lot more vocal and estatic fanbase if one wants to argue its less than MGS. He was one of the biggest characters in gaming across the NES-SNES era. The fact that the "slang" for enemies that respawn as soon as they leave the screen are dubbed "Mega Man-style Enemies" because of how common that experience is.

I'll admit that I didn't use Snake much in Brawl (so I'm probably a bit off on the play-style even though I still feel that DHD has traps in his neutral and down B). I also felt that he didn't feel like he fit in Smash Bros. I still feel that our current Third Party characters are bigger in terms of gaming as a wide spanned culture. Not that this directly weighs in on the factor, but I remember reading that Snake was in Smash at all as a favor asked for by Kojima and not Sakurai directly seeking Snake.

Edit: I know Snake has some really diehard fans, but I wasn't and just won't be one. Don't particularly like him as a character or fighter addition. I feel like he's dead in the water in this situation.

DoublEdit: Geno is an odd commodity when it comes to characters. But he doesn't fit into the template Sakurai stated and frankly a Square Enix rep would likely be one of the FF or DQ characters that have been in the Mario Spinoffs.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here is my DLC roster. Now mind you, the top is obviously the roster as it stands. The row beneath is what I believe we're looking at in regards to possible DLC characters. So here we go:

Prediction DLC Roster Roster.png

Basically, the vets and the popular/notable choices. Mewtwo is in green considering he's confirmed. The rest?:

1) I highly, HIGHLY doubt that we will get more than one character per series. I base this on a hypothetical 8 character, 2 Season Pass deal aside from Mewtwo based on what we're getting from Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors. I believe we'll get a veterans pack assuming Ice Climbers can get fixed and Snake makes his return, so that gives us Wolf, Lucas, Snake and Ice Climbers (I'm pretty confident in the former two). So back to my original point...While we could get Dixie AND K.Rool, I can't imagine we'd get both. I extend this to any series really. I don't see Krystal getting in based on Wolf probably getting in before her, but that's certainly up for debate.

2) Chorus Men are in a similar case with Ice Climbers. If they had technical issues to sort out, it all depends on if they can get fixed/modified.

3) Wonder Red and Inklings are characters that I feel have a better shot than people give them credit for. I can definitely see at least one of these two getting added based on their abilities alone. Look out for one of these two (both are actually doing fairly well on the poll I made. Fancy that!)

4) I personally think Isaac is a near shoe in. He's popular, unique and hasn't been seen anywhere thus far.

5) Impa could happen, and she's mainly on my list because I believe she's next in line for the Zelda series. Having a hybrid moveset of Zelda/Sheik would be fantastic.

6) Captain Toad is a character I wouldn't mind seeing, but at the same time I want something other than Mario (it's my favorite series too!)

7) Not sure how I feel about Bandanna Dee. The only reason I have him on here is because of how well he's doing on my poll. That's not to say I completely doubt him, but I simply don't see why he'd be picked over the rest.

If there is a character not on here that you are questioning the absence of, there's probably a reason I left them off. Otherwise, this is what I think we'll see. Not all of the ones I put up there, but at least some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom