• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
That's just based on the top 10 results right?
Keep in mind guys that just because they are the top characters in the poll doesn't translate into good chances just yet.

Last edited:

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Going off that logic, the most likely DLC in a "new" pack would be:

Issac (Very popular, Nowhere to be found, Unique)
K. Rool or Dixie (DK newcomer is a must)
Impa/Tetra/etc. (Zelda must now have NO hidden fighters for a reason)
Inkling (New, original and relatively popular already)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Here is my DLC roster. Now mind you, the top is obviously the roster as it stands. The row beneath is what I believe we're looking at in regards to possible DLC characters. So here we go:

View attachment 28889

Basically, the vets and the popular/notable choices. Mewtwo is in green considering he's confirmed. The rest?:

1) I highly, HIGHLY doubt that we will get more than one character per series. I base this on a hypothetical 8 character, 2 Season Pass deal aside from Mewtwo based on what we're getting from Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors. I believe we'll get a veterans pack assuming Ice Climbers can get fixed and Snake makes his return, so that gives us Wolf, Lucas, Snake and Ice Climbers (I'm pretty confident in the former two). So back to my original point...While we could get Dixie AND K.Rool, I can't imagine we'd get both. I extend this to any series really. I don't see Krystal getting in based on Wolf probably getting in before her, but that's certainly up for debate.

2) Chorus Men are in a similar case with Ice Climbers. If they had technical issues to sort out, it all depends on if they can get fixed/modified.

3) Wonder Red and Inklings are characters that I feel have a better shot than people give them credit for. I can definitely see at least one of these two getting added based on their abilities alone. Look out for one of these two (both are actually doing fairly well on the poll I made. Fancy that!)

4) I personally think Isaac is a near shoe in. He's popular, unique and hasn't been seen anywhere thus far.

5) Impa could happen, and she's mainly on my list because I believe she's next in line for the Zelda series. Having a hybrid moveset of Zelda/Sheik would be fantastic.

6) Captain Toad is a character I wouldn't mind seeing, but at the same time I want something other than Mario (it's my favorite series too!)

7) Not sure how I feel about Bandanna Dee. The only reason I have him on here is because of how well he's doing on my poll. That's not to say I completely doubt him, but I simply don't see why he'd be picked over the rest.

If there is a character not on here that you are questioning the absence of, there's probably a reason I left them off. Otherwise, this is what I think we'll see. Not all of the ones I put up there, but at least some of them.
1.) Honestly, I kinda agree with the "won't get more than one character per series" thing with every situation but Dixie and K. Rool. I don't think we'll get both, but I do think it is fairly likely we COULD get both, since both are very iconic DK characters and both deserve a playable role in Smash. As a whole, K. Rool probably has a slight edge both in popularity and in importance (main antagonist), but Dixie's also very important as the third most important playable character. However, I'd say "main villain" is a more important role than third main protagonist.

2.) If Chorus Men legitimately were planned, I can see them as a viable DLC candidate. If not, I can't see them being DLC at all.

3.) I honestly don't think its going to happen. The main issue is, Sakurai has stated that characters aren't likely to be considered if the franchise isn't likely to continue. He's done a similar things with certain characters in the past, namely with Ganondorf; he was hesitant to add Ganondorf for numerous reason, one of which being he wasn't sure if Ganondorf would appear in future Zelda games. Wonderful 101 did not do that well, and Splatoon is the start of a new IP. Maybe Splatoon would be considered, but Sakurai might look at it and go "ok, there's no guarantee this is going to be a success."

If Splatoon is successful, I can easily see Inklings being added in the next Smash Bros. game, but I doubt DLC would last long enough for this game for that situation to happen here. In the case of Shulk, Sakurai did state that they usually don't "add characters like this." I think that's the same situation. Xenoblade Chronicles X features a new case with no apparent returning characters at all, Shulk probably won't appear again in a new game. So him getting into Smash is basically an exception to the norm. Roy was also a similar case, while Ike and Marth are recurring FE characters.

Splatoon is on an iffy level for me. I think its possible. Wonder Red I find rather unlikely, Splatoon probably wins out here since its a new IP that has not been released yet and could be successful, while Wonderful 101 has released and was not successful.

4.) Although I do agree that Isaac looks EXTREMELY likely to me, I hate referring to him as a "shoe-in" or "near shoe-in." I called Isaac a shoe-in all throughout speculation and I should not have. I do think he's EXTREMELY likely, probably the most likely DLC candidate in my eyes, but I hate using the term "shoe-in" for anything. The only shoe-in is Mewtwo, since he's confirmed.

5.) Impa I think is definitely the next most important character in the Zelda series, probably the most likely Zelda character, but I don't think she's all that likely in general.

6.) Agreed fully on Captain Toad. I think Captain Toad is probably quite likely (especially due to that whole "I wish I could join the battle" thing), but I'd rather not have him because its yet more Mario representation.

7.) Fully agreed on Bandana Dee. Yes, he's the fourth-most important Kirby character, but he's still only a rising star, and just isn't as important as characters from other franchises. I honestly do believe we'd be more likely to get Dixie and K. Rool both than Bandana Dee, because Dixie and K. Rool as a whole are far more iconic characters in general and have been around longer. But obviously, that's my personal opinion. K. Rool is the DK main antagonist, Dixie had a starring role in her own game as well and has been a major recurring character. Bandana Dee doesn't quite fit that. I think he's possible, but I'd be salty about his inclusion over other characters who frankly should probably be in over him, really.

As for the last comment, nah, I don't think there's any character that's missing. Ideally I'd like to see Lip, but I find her extremely unlikely at this point. Which is sad, she's one of the most deserving characters. If anything I think there's too many on that list.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Granted, I'm not Chandelure, but I am going to try to explain Bandanna Dee as a character and fighter for the roster.

Character
Bandanna Dee as a design started on the SNES as the first CPU foe fought in Megaton Punch, very insignificant.
After this, his next big role was in the scenario "The King's Revenge" in Kirby Super Star Ultra. This mode was basically a hard version of Spring Breeze which brought back old enemies and bosses, namely Kabula the blimp. Similar to the conversations in "Revenge of Meta Knight," there is banter between King Dedede and his most high ranking minion, Bandanna Dee. Bandanna Dee is put in the last stage as a joke of a mid-boss (as he also does replacing the Golden Waddle Dee in The Arena) before being the sole person in the stands as Kirby fights Masked Dedede. When the King ultimately loses, it is none other than Bandanna Dee who appears at his side to cheer him up before being backed up by generic Dees.
He makes a small cameo in Kirby Mass Attack in one of the side games, cheering on in the background.
However, the big blossoming moment was Return to Dreamland. In this game, Bandanna Dee makes his place as the fourth character to be playable with a move set identical to the Spear Ability. He is
In the most recent Triple Deluxe, Bandanna Dee is the only assistant character who basically drops in supplies for Kirby on his quest to help save King Dedede.
Also notable is the Waddle Dee who aided Kirby in Kirby 64, who helped Kirby progress by providing modes of transportation more than anything else.
However, looking at the official art shown for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, ONLY Bandanna Dees are present besides Kirby (Meaning no King Dedede or Meta Knight). And yes, I said Dees because there are multiple color variations of him that may be the way other players will be part while the main player has the game pad.

His predominant place in the Kirby series that appears to be here to stay as the key fourth member is quite reminiscent to Rosalina's growing role from an assisting (Galaxy 1), a cameo (Galaxy 2), to unlockable playable (3D World) more than the living spin-off of Captain Toad, despite the similarities many people see at eye-level. He is the very recent, identifiable, and "unique" goon-turned-hero for the Kirby franchise who rarely has characters stay important for more than two games at a time.

Fighter
Bandanna Dee brings two big things to the table as a fighter that makes him unique.
1) A spear. For a fighting game boasting over 50 characters across the rosters, there is nobody with a spear or lance. The closest thing that is present is the Tipper mechanic of Marth's rapier-like Falchion. Just based off of the Spear ability in Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe, there is a clear jab combo, f-tilt, u-tilt, d-air, u-air, f-air, Up Special, and probably what would make up a Neutral Special. There's the potential of an untapped weapon archetype that BanD represents with some of the move set "on the tin."
2) Waddle Dee. Clearly, Bandanna Dee is a Waddle Dee made unique by his color difference, spear, and bandanna. That, for a pool of moves, only works to his advantage. These little goons have been seen floating on parasols and dandelions, chucking spears, riding the Warthog-like Nruffs, to the scale of piloting giant tanks the size of small buildings! They've done plenty to help supplement his move pool potential.

He's basically the one choice to be a Kirby addition with credentials as a character most similar to Princess Rosalina who packs the move set potential of being a goon-turned-hero and a unique weapon.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Granted, I'm not Chandelure, but I am going to try to explain Bandanna Dee as a character and fighter for the roster.

Character
[spoilers] Bandanna Dee as a design started on the SNES as the first CPU foe fought in Megaton Punch, very insignificant.
After this, his next big role was in the scenario "The King's Revenge" in Kirby Super Star Ultra. This mode was basically a hard version of Spring Breeze which brought back old enemies and bosses, namely Kabula the blimp. Similar to the conversations in "Revenge of Meta Knight," there is banter between King Dedede and his most high ranking minion, Bandanna Dee. Bandanna Dee is put in the last stage as a joke of a mid-boss (as he also does replacing the Golden Waddle Dee in The Arena) before being the sole person in the stands as Kirby fights Masked Dedede. When the King ultimately loses, it is none other than Bandanna Dee who appears at his side to cheer him up before being backed up by generic Dees.
He makes a small cameo in Kirby Mass Attack in one of the side games, cheering on in the background.
However, the big blossoming moment was Return to Dreamland. In this game, Bandanna Dee makes his place as the fourth character to be playable with a move set identical to the Spear Ability. He is
In the most recent Triple Deluxe, Bandanna Dee is the only assistant character who basically drops in supplies for Kirby on his quest to help save King Dedede.
Also notable is the Waddle Dee who aided Kirby in Kirby 64, who helped Kirby progress by providing modes of transportation more than anything else.
However, looking at the official art shown for Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, ONLY Bandanna Dees are present besides Kirby (Meaning no King Dedede or Meta Knight). And yes, I said Dees because there are multiple color variations of him that may be the way other players will be part while the main player has the game pad. [/spoiler]

His predominant place in the Kirby series that appears to be here to stay as the key fourth member is quite reminiscent to Rosalina's growing role from an assisting (Galaxy 1), a cameo (Galaxy 2), to unlockable playable (3D World) more than the living spin-off of Captain Toad, despite the similarities many people see at eye-level. He is the very recent, identifiable, and "unique" goon-turned-hero for the Kirby franchise who rarely has characters stay important for more than two games at a time.

Fighter
[spoilers] Bandanna Dee brings two big things to the table as a fighter that makes him unique.
1) A spear. For a fighting game boasting over 50 characters across the rosters, there is nobody with a spear or lance. The closest thing that is present is the Tipper mechanic of Marth's rapier-like Falchion. Just based off of the Spear ability in Return to Dreamland and Triple Deluxe, there is a clear jab combo, f-tilt, u-tilt, d-air, u-air, f-air, Up Special, and probably what would make up a Neutral Special. There's the potential of an untapped weapon archetype that BanD represents with some of the move set "on the tin."
2) Waddle Dee. Clearly, Bandanna Dee is a Waddle Dee made unique by his color difference, spear, and bandanna. That, for a pool of moves, only works to his advantage. These little goons have been seen floating on parasols and dandelions, chucking spears, riding the Warthog-like Nruffs, to the scale of piloting giant tanks the size of small buildings! They've done plenty to help supplement his move pool potential. [/spoilers]

He's basically the one choice to be a Kirby addition who packs the move set potential of being a goon-turned-hero and a unique weapon.
The main thing people fail to do when bringing up Bandana Dee is compare him to characters outside of Kirby. Ok, Bandana Dee is the fourth most important Kirby character. How does that stack up to characters from other franchises, though? What justifies Bandana Dee's inclusion as a fourth Kirby character before a third (or even fourth) DK character, expanding franchises with only one playable character, or other new franchise reps?

This is honestly the same problem I have with Krystal. Yes, she's important, but is she important enough to be included over other characters from other franchises? If Bandana Dee was clone material, I'd see him as an extremely likely addition.

Burruni

Smash Hero
The main thing people fail to do when bringing up Bandana Dee is compare him to characters outside of Kirby. Ok, Bandana Dee is the fourth most important Kirby character. How does that stack up to characters from other franchises, though? What justifies Bandana Dee's inclusion as a fourth Kirby character before a third (or even fourth) DK character, expanding franchises with only one playable character, or other new franchise reps?

This is honestly the same problem I have with Krystal. Yes, she's important, but is she important enough to be included over other characters from other franchises? If Bandana Dee was clone material, I'd see him as an extremely likely addition.
4th important character of Kirby, which is one of the biggest Nintendo series, with credentials somewhere above Captain Toad (whom many flock to), and Rosalina (who got in) and a unique weapon. Judging character to character to incredibly subjective and will often fall to the bias of the character, defended with whatever evidence people wish to bring in. Star Fox is a series that many see as one that declined since the N64 but optimistically looking to the WiiU release which at best will be late 2015 and thus can be leveraged as a reason to "justify" Wolf being cut. DK as a series, since you brought it up, is one that has a history of being overlooked for Smash. I'm for a DK newcomer either in DLC or Sma5h with preference of King K. Rool over Dixie.

It's a matter of personal preference.

I don't see how being a Waddle Dee and a spear can be seen as really unique.
About as unique as Captain Toad but with a weapon of a defined "archetype" that lacks all representation. It's personal preference.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
This is honestly the same problem I have with Krystal. Yes, she's important, but is she important enough to be included over other characters from other franchises?
Yes.

StarFox may as well be considered as an exception to this "one character" rule for the promotion of not only StarFox Wii U, but also to celebrate the revival of StarFox, and to recognize 2015 as the Year of Star Fox, which most unlike this year's "Year of Sonic," was declared by Nintendo. That's a triple threat, so if we were to get multiple DLC characters from one franchise, it would be StarFox.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
1.) Honestly, I kinda agree with the "won't get more than one character per series" thing with every situation but Dixie and K. Rool. I don't think we'll get both, but I do think it is fairly likely we COULD get both, since both are very iconic DK characters and both deserve a playable role in Smash. As a whole, K. Rool probably has a slight edge both in popularity and in importance (main antagonist), but Dixie's also very important as the third most important playable character. However, I'd say "main villain" is a more important role than third main protagonist.

2.) If Chorus Men legitimately were planned, I can see them as a viable DLC candidate. If not, I can't see them being DLC at all.

3.) I honestly don't think its going to happen. The main issue is, Sakurai has stated that characters aren't likely to be considered if the franchise isn't likely to continue. He's done a similar things with certain characters in the past, namely with Ganondorf; he was hesitant to add Ganondorf for numerous reason, one of which being he wasn't sure if Ganondorf would appear in future Zelda games. Wonderful 101 did not do that well, and Splatoon is the start of a new IP. Maybe Splatoon would be considered, but Sakurai might look at it and go "ok, there's no guarantee this is going to be a success."

If Splatoon is successful, I can easily see Inklings being added in the next Smash Bros. game, but I doubt DLC would last long enough for this game for that situation to happen here. In the case of Shulk, Sakurai did state that they usually don't "add characters like this." I think that's the same situation. Xenoblade Chronicles X features a new case with no apparent returning characters at all, Shulk probably won't appear again in a new game. So him getting into Smash is basically an exception to the norm. Roy was also a similar case, while Ike and Marth are recurring FE characters.

Splatoon is on an iffy level for me. I think its possible. Wonder Red I find rather unlikely, Splatoon probably wins out here since its a new IP that has not been released yet and could be successful, while Wonderful 101 has released and was not successful.

4.) Although I do agree that Isaac looks EXTREMELY likely to me, I hate referring to him as a "shoe-in" or "near shoe-in." I called Isaac a shoe-in all throughout speculation and I should not have. I do think he's EXTREMELY likely, probably the most likely DLC candidate in my eyes, but I hate using the term "shoe-in" for anything. The only shoe-in is Mewtwo, since he's confirmed.

5.) Impa I think is definitely the next most important character in the Zelda series, probably the most likely Zelda character, but I don't think she's all that likely in general.

6.) Agreed fully on Captain Toad. I think Captain Toad is probably quite likely (especially due to that whole "I wish I could join the battle" thing), but I'd rather not have him because its yet more Mario representation.

7.) Fully agreed on Bandana Dee. Yes, he's the fourth-most important Kirby character, but he's still only a rising star, and just isn't as important as characters from other franchises. I honestly do believe we'd be more likely to get Dixie and K. Rool both than Bandana Dee, because Dixie and K. Rool as a whole are far more iconic characters in general and have been around longer. But obviously, that's my personal opinion. K. Rool is the DK main antagonist, Dixie had a starring role in her own game as well and has been a major recurring character. Bandana Dee doesn't quite fit that. I think he's possible, but I'd be salty about his inclusion over other characters who frankly should probably be in over him, really.

As for the last comment, nah, I don't think there's any character that's missing. Ideally I'd like to see Lip, but I find her extremely unlikely at this point. Which is sad, she's one of the most deserving characters. If anything I think there's too many on that list.
Fair points. I'll reply to each

1) Fair point

2) Fair point. If they were planned and didn't have complications, then I can see it. If they weren't even planned, I doubt it.

3) The thing is that there is nothing pointing toward The Wonderful 101 being a one game wonder. Kamiya has expressed interest in doing another game in the series, and the game itself had great reviews. Smash Bros. is one giant promotion, whether it is intended to be or not. Placing Wonder Red (who wouldn't even be a waste of a spot based on his moveset potential) in Smash Bros puts him, and the series he comes from, into a position where he's on center stage. Same thing with the Inklings and Splatoon. What better way to get a brand new IP some attention? Super Smash Bros. Now, I know that most people have the issue with them not even being released yet, but the exact same thing happened with Roy.

Now with Roy, I understand Fire Emblem was already an actual series. Regardless of whether or not Roy was chosen to promote a game, he still promoted the game. He didn't have any prior merit besides his abilities. It's essentially the same as the Inklings. They have immense potential.

The magic of Super Smash Bros., is that characters that have the privilege of starring in this all-star crossover enjoy a good amount of healthy exposure. Basically, if you look at how Fire Emblem rose in popularity post Melee, it's a very interesting relationship. It's now a more popular series for Nintendo. If it were truly a problem to have a character who hadn't appeared prior to Smash, Roy wouldn't have been included in the first place.

Now when we're talking about Splatoon, that game was met with quite a bit of hype. The potential of the Inkling is undeniable, and Sakurai has even said in an article that they were looking at games currently in development. Whether that means they looked at Splatoon isn't really something that can be proven, but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out of the question. To summarize, I think it's entirely possible that Inklings could happen, and they shouldn't be counted out simply because their game isn't out yet. (Also, I see that you mentioned something along the lines of "who knows if DLC will be happening when Splatoon releases?". It will be. Splatoon I'm pretty sure was scheduled for Spring or Summer of 2015, and based on how MK8 and Hyrule Warriors are going, I don't doubt Smash getting more DLC content.)

Anyway, back to Wonder Red. While I understand the argument that the game didn't sell well, sales aren't the biggest indicator of whether or not a character will be in Smash Bros. As an example, I usually look at Ike. Path of Radiance was the worst selling Fire Emblem, yet the lord starring in that game was given a slot. If sales were as large an indicator, then who knows if Ike would have been added? A lot of characters come down to what they can do, how they're different, and as you said the potential future of the series.

I think your example on Xenoblade and how Sakurai said that they, "normally don't add characters like this" is up to interpretation. When I first read that, I didn't even consider it the way you interpreted it. Not to say that any particular interpretation is correct or incorrect, but I'm not so sure that's what he meant.

4) I suppose it just depends on how someone looks at it, but saying he's a shoe in is probably overstating. I do think he's one of the more likely characters to be chosen though, if only because of his lack of appearances thus far.

5) Impa is basically next in line, but it all depends on if Sakurai looks toward Zelda. I don't think she's overly likely myself.

6) Yeah, I think Mario is doing fairly well with the amount of characters it has. I wouldn't necessarily mind the Cap'n, but I'd rather have other characters first.

7) Glad to see somebody agrees with me. I thought I was one of a few that held that opinion of Bandanna Dee.

Overall, I feel your views on my roster are fairly reasonable. I just view Wonder Red and Inklings differently.

(SORRY FOR THE WALL O' TEXT. MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN CARRIED AWAY)

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Now when we're talking about Splatoon, that game was met with quite a bit of hype. The potential of the Inkling is undeniable, and Sakurai has even said in an article that they were looking at games currently in development. Whether that means they looked at Splatoon isn't really something that can be proven, but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out of the question. To summarize, I think it's entirely possible that Inklings could happen, and they shouldn't be counted out simply because their game isn't out yet. (Also, I see that you mentioned something along the lines of "who knows if DLC will be happening when Splatoon releases?". It will be. Splatoon I'm pretty sure was scheduled for Spring or Summer of 2015, and based on how MK8 and Hyrule Warriors are going, I don't doubt Smash getting more DLC content.)
That's not what I meant. I meant if Splatoon gets a sequel, not for the first game. The first game is obviously coming out in time for Smash Bros. DLC potential, but that's not what I meant. I'm just saying, I don't think its particularly likely Splatoon will get represented unless it because a full-fledged multi-game series.

4th important character of Kirby, which is one of the biggest Nintendo series, with credentials somewhere above Captain Toad (whom many flock to), and Rosalina (who got in) and a unique weapon. Judging character to character to incredibly subjective and will often fall to the bias of the character, defended with whatever evidence people wish to bring in. Star Fox is a series that many see as one that declined since the N64 but optimistically looking to the WiiU release which at best will be late 2015 and thus can be leveraged as a reason to "justify" Wolf being cut. DK as a series, since you brought it up, is one that has a history of being overlooked for Smash. I'm for a DK newcomer either in DLC or Sma5h with preference of King K. Rool over Dixie.
Sakurai also took until Brawl just to get Meta Knight and Dedede in. He picked other characters over his own in past titles because he didn't want his bias to show, and he didn't want Kirby to be overrepresented. He continuously factored in other franchises, and what fans wanted overall versus his own biases, that's why I don't think Bandana Dee is all that likely of a candidate. And honestly, DK hasn't really been THAT neglected in Smash, that's overstated. DK had two brand new stages in both the past two games, had a returning stage in both the past two games on top of two new stages, tons of trophies, Diddy added in Brawl, and a pretty large presence overall. The only game really lacking in DK content is Smash 3DS.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
During the GameCube era, Krystal was Nintendo's fourth place leading lady... but the franchise dropped after Command. She would have made a lot of sense for Brawl, but as things stand now she isn't even a B-List character.

Bandana Dee... For starters, his place as the fourth Kirby character is tenuous... or have we all forgotten Gooey, whose status gives him credit even decades later? And as was mentioned, how does he compare to other fourth characters? I see... a lot of general bias in regards. To say that BDee is more important a character than Toad is laughable lunacy. Toad is a character adored by three decades of casual gamers (read: the majority of people) while BDee is adored by... some really hardcore Kirby fans. Get real. Meowth is a more iconic character to Nintendo as a whole than BDee for the simple fact that Kirby really isn't that important a franchise. Everybody knows Kirby himself... but only Gamers know MetaKnight and DDD let alone BDee. You'd have more luck getting people to vaguely remember Escargoon than knowing BDee at all. No, Nintendo's iconic franchises are Mario (and its sub-franchises) and Pokemon, with Zelda alone bringing up the B-List. Metroid, Kirby, StarFox, and Fire Emblem are the C-List... the group recognized by people who care to actually become invested in gaming.

That group is not large enough to inform business decisions for such a high profile game. Particularly for bonus content that needs to move in large quantities to justify its development.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
During the GameCube era, Krystal was Nintendo's fourth place leading lady... but the franchise dropped after Command. She would have made a lot of sense for Brawl, but as things stand now she isn't even a B-List character.

Bandana Dee... For starters, his place as the fourth Kirby character is tenuous... or have we all forgotten Gooey, whose status gives him credit even decades later? And as was mentioned, how does he compare to other fourth characters? I see... a lot of general bias in regards. To say that BDee is more important a character than Toad is laughable lunacy. Toad is a character adored by three decades of casual gamers (read: the majority of people) while BDee is adored by... some really hardcore Kirby fans. Get real. Meowth is a more iconic character to Nintendo as a whole than BDee for the simple fact that Kirby really isn't that important a franchise. Everybody knows Kirby himself... but only Gamers know MetaKnight and DDD let alone BDee. You'd have more luck getting people to vaguely remember Escargoon than knowing BDee at all. No, Nintendo's iconic franchises are Mario (and its sub-franchises) and Pokemon, with Zelda alone bringing up the B-List. Metroid, Kirby, StarFox, and Fire Emblem are the C-List... the group recognized by people who care to actually become invested in gaming.

That group is not large enough to inform business decisions for such a high profile game. Particularly for bonus content that needs to move in large quantities to justify its development.
Kirby is a pretty important and popular Nintendo franchise, and I'd say most people do know about Meta Knight and King Dedede. Kirby is Nintendo's sixth best-selling franchise. As a whole, though, far more people would recognize both King K. Rool and Dixie Kong than either Bandana Dee or Krystal. They've appeared a lot more and have had more consistent major roles. At least up until the Returns reboot, naturally.

EDIT: That said, I don't necessarily think DLC characters HAVE to be very well-known and popular characters. I would think that'd be the case, but I honestly don't know for sure.

Last edited:

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
That's not what I meant. I meant if Splatoon gets a sequel, not for the first game. The first game is obviously coming out in time for Smash Bros. DLC potential, but that's not what I meant. I'm just saying, I don't think its particularly likely Splatoon will get represented unless it because a full-fledged multi-game series.

Sakurai also took until Brawl just to get Meta Knight and Dedede in. He picked other characters over his own in past titles because he didn't want his bias to show, and he didn't want Kirby to be overrepresented. He continuously factored in other franchises, and what fans wanted overall versus his own biases, that's why I don't think Bandana Dee is all that likely of a candidate. And honestly, DK hasn't really been THAT neglected in Smash, that's overstated. DK had two brand new stages in both the past two games, had a returning stage in both the past two games on top of two new stages, tons of trophies, Diddy added in Brawl, and a pretty large presence overall. The only game really lacking in DK content is Smash 3DS.
And the Wii U version too, I mean DK gets a revival, being a succesful game in both sales and reviews but the frachise is unable to get a new character, a new stage on the 3ds version, no items, no AT and very few content in smash run, DK doesn't get the recognition it deserves in smash, I agree about Bandana Dee though, Sakurai isn't biased with the kirby franchise, he is now biased with the kid icarus franchise
My DLC options are
-Isaac -Dk character -Wolf and Krystal -New IP character
This are the only ones I can think right now

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And the Wii U version too, I mean DK gets a revival, being a succesful game in both sales and reviews but the frachise is unable to get a new character, a new stage on the 3ds version, no items, no AT and very few content in smash run, DK doesn't get the recognition it deserves in smash, I agree about Bandana Dee though, Sakurai isn't biased with the kirby franchise, he is now biased with the kid icarus franchise
My DLC options are
-Isaac -Dk character -Wolf and Krystal -New IP character
This are the only ones I can think right now
DK has two characters, three stages and tons of trophies. Yeah, DK should've gotten a new character, but its still represented quite well.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
DK has two characters, three stages and tons of trophies. Yeah, DK should've gotten a new character, but its still represented quite well.
Three stages, considering 2 of them are from previous games and one of them sucks, Dk deserves way representation that it as, there are many charcaters lacking trophies too, DK doesn't get the representation that it deserves

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So hey.

That roster up there looks pretty interesti- (shot for plug)
Its not bad. I still don't like the idea of Toad now that we've gotten two Mario characters already, and I really don't think Rayman is going to be DLC. I honestly don't believe third-party DLC will be a thing at all, personally (not even Snake). Points for Isaac and K. Rool, though.

Why is Shulk between Metaknight and Dedede?

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
If the Inkling does become DLC, which I think is highly probable considering the overwhelming response Splatoon had at e3, I think it would probably be free DLC rather than paid, in an effort to promote the new release. I could see a few DLC characters working that way, actually.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If the Inkling does become DLC, which I think is highly probable considering the overwhelming response Splatoon had at e3, I think it would probably be free DLC rather than paid, in an effort to promote the new release. I could see a few DLC characters working that way, actually.
I couldn't see it being free, but maybe packaged in with another more popular character.

EDIT: Or perhaps handed out as a free promotion if you buy Splatoon.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I couldn't see it being free, but maybe packaged in with another more popular character.

EDIT: Or perhaps handed out as a free promotion if you buy Splatoon.
Let's not go all God of War: Ascension X PlayStation All-stars here now cause we all know how both of those games turned out...

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
Am I an abomination for thinking PlayStation All-Stars doesn't look terrible?

I only had an opportunity to play it briefly at a kiosk, but it was pretty fun once I figured out the physics?

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

I only had an opportunity to play it briefly at a kiosk, but it was pretty fun once I figured out the physics?
It was fun in gameplay, but poorly executed in every other way, specifically, roster choice. I meas Zeus? As DLC? With Isaac Clarke? Srsly!?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion

Nah, I enjoyed it too. But not having Crash or Spyro was like this game not having Mario and Link.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Nah, I enjoyed it too. But not having Crash or Spyro was like this game not having Mario and Link.
Yeah, honestly, I'm not sure what happened there. Crash and Spyro MADE the Playstation. Its a travesty to miss getting them into a game featuring Playstation's "All Stars." At least it did have Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, and Jak and Daxter. Not that I played any of the Sly or Ratchet games, but I've always heard about them on the Playstation consoles.

EDIT: Its also a shame they missed out on Dart for DLC. Dart would've been an awesome DLC character. Legend of Dragoon was epic.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero

The issue of that game boiled down to it trying to not be Smash Bros by limiting any and all kills to the arcade fighter-esque super moves which is basically all a character ended up being for "value," and the roster.

Smash 64 had 12 characters. 8 Starters who all represented some of the biggest and best series of the company. The 4 unlockables expanded out the biggest series (Mario), the up and coming star franchise (Pokemon), and added in two series with a die-hard fan base despite being pretty small (Mother and F-Zero).

PSASBR has 24 characters, including the DLC.
Of these, only 5 existed before the PS2, one of them was a japan-exclusive mascot for Marketing, and lacked the two biggest mascots of the console: Crash Bandicoot and Spyro The Dragon. One particular issue I had was with Spike who I didn't even recognize despite loving the first 3 installments of that series because THAT is how bad the redesign was.
7 of the 24 were created in the PS2 Era (if you count the Dante who has no alt for the actual design fans enjoyed and is the PS3 design of him).
11 were born on the PS3. Just under half of the roster. The final oddball out is from the one-off Vita game Gravity Rush.
I also want to note that for being the first game of "All-Stars" of Sony, there are 2 Third Party characters. Granted, Brawl and Sma4h also do this. But in those cases, we have icons of Nintendo's history and Gaming's history as massive icons with long history. Big Daddy and Isaac Clarke... don't match that situation. 2 of 39 or 3 out of 51 vs the 2 of 24.
Plus, you could add in the entire lack of any of the PLENTIFUL JRPGs or such that were massive on the various PlayStations (Disgaea, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Legaia, etc.)

TL;DR: The game looks good but comes out fairly faulty in trying to be the rival to Smash... but not Smash by revolving around Supers to do any killing and the roster is far too heavily tilted to characters who were created since the PS3 launched. It flat out lacked 2 of the biggest series in Sony's history and many others that arguably deserved the representation than things like Bioshock, Twisted Metal, or Fat Princess. It just had problems in the core design that really limited the enjoyability of the product which killed sales.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think we might see the Duck Hunt trailer in tomorrows direct. Other than that I'm not expecting much for Smash Bros.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Duck Hunt trailer is likely, and maybe there'll be some Mewtwo footage as well, and if we're lucky, some other DLC characters to be bundled with Mewtwo in a pack.

They've announced newcomers in Directs and events so far, DLC characters shouldn't be any different.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Duck Hunt trailer is likely, and maybe there'll be some Mewtwo footage as well, and if we're lucky, some other DLC characters to be bundled with Mewtwo in a pack.

They've announced newcomers in Directs and events so far, DLC characters shouldn't be any different.
I think they've had a character pretty much ever direct since luigi, so it's VERY likely we could get someone here, There' no way mewtwo is the only DLC character. Sure it could just be duck hunt but considering that this is a proper nintendo direct and not a smash 50-fact extravaganza I'm not sure

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
How would you react if DLC Assist Trophies were confirmed?
Even better is if they announced a number of Assist Trophies making the jump to playable.

Ghirahim, Dillon, Ashley, Ghirahim, Saki, Goroh, Ghirahim, Takamaru, Ghirahim...
Oh, and I almost forgot...Infantry! Also, Ghirahim.

Last edited:

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
The Duck Hunt trailer seems likely, but Mewtwo gameplay isn't happening.

Announcing more character DLC isn't either. The only reason Mewtwo was announced before they could even really show him was to incentivize people into buying both games.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
But seriously tho. DLC Expansion.

Rise of the Assist Trophies. New Story Mode where a group of Assist Trophies have gone renegade and kidnapped all of the playable characters and steal their playability. You must fight as a Mii and save (unlock) the characters through story mode battles.

The Assist Trophies, of course, remain playable.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
But seriously tho. DLC Expansion.

Rise of the Assist Trophies. New Story Mode where a group of Assist Trophies have gone renegade and kidnapped all of the playable characters and steal their playability. You must fight as a Mii and save (unlock) the characters through story mode battles.

The Assist Trophies, of course, remain playable.
That'd be cool. It's also the same mentality that keeps Ridley supporters thinking he'll still wind up playable though, if you're serious about ATs making the jump to playability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom