• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
That's why Ice Climbers and Wolf are the only other two I see happening. If they like the idea, a Donkey Kong rep as well.
That is, if they were planned.

Ice Climbers are the only ones who I'd see making a comeback, simply because they were developed, but weren't fully executed because of the 3DS's restrictions.

If Wolf and Lucas were never fully developed, then I wouldn't see them coming back. I fail to see any additional characters being included unless I hear that character DLC is a thing.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I swear, every time someone tries to make claims about a leak online and acting like its 100% legit, I'm GOING to post this video.
Did I say he was telling the truth? No, and it's equally ridiculous to discount a leak just because. I am not taking it as gospel, I'm just keeping it in mind as a possibility. I do, however, trust Spainkiller (I have my reasons), and with how All Star and others' info go hand with his (before he even posted about it) among other things, I find it too specific to be a coincidence.

Christ, you guys are ridiculously sting. God forbid I'm keeping an open mind on a possible leak, lest we forget that the ESRB leak and Gematsu were "clearly fake" (and cboat and pokebeach and whoever else) too? Whatever.

Last edited:

AfroManGS

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3050-7721-8262
Well... DLC wish list is a bit different...

1st and 2nd party:

-Isaac
-Mach Rider
-Vaati (we need more villians)
-3rd Gen or 5th Gen PKMN
-Some one from DK64 (i love me some Chunky)
-K.K. Rool (a mix from DKC 1-3 and 64)
-Travis Touchdown
-Roy (Awakening desing and class)
-Wolf/Panther/Krystal (only one of them)
-Rythm Heaven rep
-Cackletta
-Ephraim/Hector/King Zephiel (Fire Emblem)

3rd Party (only pick 2... 3 if Nintendo and Sakurai feels generous)
-a Monster Hunter
-Arthur
-Phoenix Wright
-Viewtiful Joe
-Final Fantasy NES/SNES rep (maybe Cecil) FF: Tactics Advance or A2 protagonist/ Benjamin from Mystic Quest (only one of them)
-Agnes
-Kogoro (from Project X Zone)
-Valkyrie
-Mitsurugi (from Tekken)
-Cless Alvein
-Bayonetta

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
That is, if they were planned.

Ice Climbers are the only ones who I'd see making a comeback, simply because they were developed, but weren't fully executed because of the 3DS's restrictions.

If Wolf and Lucas were never fully developed, then I wouldn't see them coming back. I fail to see any additional characters being included unless I hear that character DLC is a thing.
Yeah Ice Climbers should be back. Wolf has his theme song going for him. Roy was planned for Brawl and his theme is on the Fire Emblem stage. I don't see Wolf not being planned at all with his theme being in the game. Lucas, eh I don't see it.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
I apologize for my pessimism, but...

Who's to say we're getting anything more than Mewtwo?

If Mewtwo is an indincation of anything, it would be that he was simply a fanservice due to extreme popularity. However, the implication that characters, "take a lot of hard work," is giving me the impression that we wouldn't go anywhere beyond Mewtwo.

They would've had to have planned out DLC from the get-go, which wasn't the case.

I just think that DLC characters wpuld take too much time, and I think it's a bit too optimistic to say that Mewtwo is an indicator of any more characters.

Regardless, I hope I'm wrong.
The Smash 6 listing is reason enough for me to suspect more.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I apologize for my pessimism, but...

Who's to say we're getting anything more than Mewtwo?

If Mewtwo is an indincation of anything, it would be that he was simply a fanservice due to extreme popularity. However, the implication that characters, "take a lot of hard work," is giving me the impression that we wouldn't go anywhere beyond Mewtwo.

They would've had to have planned out DLC from the get-go, which wasn't the case.

I just think that DLC characters wpuld take too much time, and I think it's a bit too optimistic to say that Mewtwo is an indicator of any more characters.

Regardless, I hope I'm wrong.
For the most most part it's really all hoping and praying.
But, it does at least show they're open to using DLC. And knowing how MK8 and Hyrule Warriors are getting a decent amount, I'd assume Smash would get their fair share as well.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo knows Smash DLC will sell like hotcakes just they they knew MK8 DLC will sell like hotcakes (which it will), so I can't imagine Mewtwo will be the extent of it.

Not to mention we also have those conspicuous arrows on the 3DS, and, for whatever it's worth, the Smash 6 listing. Plus that info recently found in the data. Altogether it paints a pretty likely picture for DLC past Mewtwo.

@ AfroManGS AfroManGS
Travis is third party.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
You know someone on a Youtube vid made a good point. Why is Mewtwo going to take until Spring? That's like April, which is forever from now. I feel like they might be willing to make more characters. Mewtwo if he was in development to the part where he was almost done, I would think he'd be done by Januaryish.

domokl

Smash Lord
Did I say he was telling the truth? No, and it's equally ridiculous to discount a leak just because. I am not taking it as gospel, I'm just keeping it in mind as a possibility. I do, however, trust Spainkiller (I have my reasons), and with how All Star and others' info go hand with his (before he even posted about it) among other things, I find it too specific to be a coincidence.

Christ, you guys are ridiculously sting. God forbid I'm keeping an open mind on a possible leak, lest we forget that the ESRB leak and Gematsu were "clearly fake" (and cboat and pokebeach and whoever else) too? Whatever.
I too think people are writing spainkiller off too quickly.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Not to mention we also have those conspicuous arrows on the 3DS, and, for whatever it's worth, the Smash 6 listing. Plus that info recently found in the data. Altogether it paints a pretty likely picture for DLC past Mewtwo.
Just curious, what is the Smash 6 listing? I haven't heard of it till now.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
You know someone on a Youtube vid made a good point. Why is Mewtwo going to take until Spring? That's like April, which is forever from now. I feel like they might be willing to make more characters. Mewtwo if he was in development to the part where he was almost done, I would think he'd be done by Januaryish.
Sakurai has stated in the past that characters take about a year to make.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/0...ating-smash-bros-character-takes-over-a-year/

It's pretty much the only reason I'm skeptical on if there will be anything past Mewtwo, it would seem like by the time they finished with another character, we would be decently far into the game's lifespan. Would be hype though.v

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just curious, what is the Smash 6 listing? I haven't heard of it till now.
Evidence was found to suggest that Namco-Bandai are hiring staff to work on a so-called "Smash 6". Given that 3DS is Smash 4 and WiiU is colloquially nicknamed Smash 5, Smash 6 seems to point towards post-game DLC.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai has stated in the past that characters take about a year to make.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/10/0...ating-smash-bros-character-takes-over-a-year/

It's pretty much the only reason I'm skeptical on if there will be anything past Mewtwo, it would seem like by the time they finished with another character, we would be decently far into the game's lifespan. Would be hype though.v
Well they can work on multiple characters at once, otherwise this game would've taken literally 50+ years to make. :laugh:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Okay, so Ice Climbers (If he isn't lazy) and Mewtwo I guess.
Another thing that needs to be taken into consideration is that they could be working at multiple characters at once. If they only did one at a time, combined with the amount of characters given, the development period would have been much longer.

Edit: Ninja'd.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
yeah you guys are being way too pessimistic. by taking that a character a year logic. this game would have taken 51 years to make.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Well they can work on multiple characters at once, otherwise this game would've taken literally 50+ years to make. :laugh:
That is true. Who knows as well. They have plenty of time to just work on stages and characters now.

yeah you guys are being way too pessimistic. by taking that a character a year logic. this game would have taken 51 years to make.
I wasn't taking it literally. Of course they can work on multiple characters at once. And Mewtwo didn't take a year to make. (Assuming he was started to be worked on when the 3ds version was released.)

It still best to keep in mind it takes a while to make characters though.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Bandana Dee has no moveset potential Bandana Dee is a filler, Bandana Dee is generic, Bandana Dee is not popular.
Seriously? no offense, but some people here are so hmmm ... not smart.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Objectively, there's honestly no such thing as "no moveset potential" anyway. Every character has potential, they just range depending on resources you can pull out from a character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Characters take a year to make? There are 51 characters in SSB4 without DLC... good thing it doesn't take 51 years to make complete Smash. :awesome:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Objectively, there's honestly no such thing as "no moveset potential" anyway. Every character has potential, they just range depending on resources you can pull out from a character.
There is also more too it then that sadly. It's also about what is Sakurai willing to do.

I've made a move set involving making Bandana Dee a Summoner character using the helper system. (Can be read here: http://smashboards.com/threads/band...eelc-discussion.324430/page-207#post-17848967)

As much as it makes sense to me, there is also the fact that there is perfectly legitimate moveset in his Return to Dreamland appearance. Simple and easy.

While I would be ok with that, because getting Bandana Dee in the game at all would be awesome, but I would also hope Sakurai makes him the best he could be.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Characters take a year to make? There are 51 characters in SSB4 without DLC... good thing it doesn't take 51 years to make complete Smash. :awesome:
It actually did take 51 years to make but Sakurai is a Time Lord and he brought it back to the present day in his Tardis.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
There is also more too it then that sadly. It's also about what is Sakurai willing to do.

I've made a move set involving making Bandana Dee a Summoner character using the helper system. (Can be read here: http://smashboards.com/threads/band...eelc-discussion.324430/page-207#post-17848967)

As much as it makes sense to me, there is also the fact that there is perfectly legitimate moveset in his Return to Dreamland appearance. Simple and easy.

While I would be ok with that, because getting Bandana Dee in the game at all would be awesome, but I would also hope Sakurai makes him the best he could be.
As soon as I read summoner character, I stopped. That doesn't fit Dee and doesn't stay true to his source material.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Obviously, this game has been in development since before 90% of the roster existed. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This makes sense to me...

I mean, look at :4duckhunt: people said he had no moveset potential.... but when you look at what the NES Zapper games had to offer... ducks, clay pigeons, tin cans, gunmen, and even the person shooting with the NES Zapper from the fourth wall, one could come up with a crazy unique moveset.

Or :4zelda: she never fought before in the Zelda games... but from what we know of her, she is capable of light magic and she uses light arrows... and she is connected to the goddesses of the Triforce so she gets Din's Fire, Nayru's Love, and Farore's Wind even though Link was the one who used them in the game.

Or :rosalina:she never did anything in Galaxy games... but she is connected to the Lumas... and the Lumas can create launch stars (Up+B) or turn into Power Stars (Final Smash)... Galaxy games used the Wiimote to shoot Star Bits (Side+B) and if you shook the Wiimote, Mario would spin to pick up coins that were around him (Down+B)... and a second player could use a Co-Star Luma to attack enemies that were far away from Mario (Neutral B) so Rosalina becomes a puppeteer style fighter.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
At this point, I'm really not feeling Paper Mario. We already have enough Mario characters and with Paper Mario, he would be our third Mario in the roster. Along with that, I feel like Paper Mario isn't popular enough to be considered a DLC priority (for example, if no one wanted Mewtwo, I can guarantee he wouldn't be DLC), along with the fact that other franchises are desperately under represented (:4dk::4fox:).

I feel like Bandana Dee could go either way. On one hand, if Kirby were to get a new rep, it would most likely be him, but I have my doubts about him as well. Meh.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
It actually did take 51 years to make but Sakurai is a Time Lord and he brought it back to the present day in his Tardis.
Now we know why Sakurai still looks so young. :awesome:

Love Doctor Who... just started watching the show on Netflix... just completed series 1-2, started series 3.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
As soon as I read summoner character, I stopped. That doesn't fit Dee and doesn't stay true to his source material.
Bandana Dee is in a higher ranking member of King Dedede's army. It makes sense for him to summon characters. Plus, the helper system was a major Kirby mechanic and even debut in the same game Bandana Dee was made in.

Why exactly do you care about source material in this game anyway?

Let's list all the characters that don't follow source material:

Rosalina & Luma: Why is Luma fighting?

Captain Falcon: Why is he out of his car?

R. O. B. is based more on the fact that he is a Robot then the toy part.

And what about the biggest offender of all? Duck Hunt?

The duck hunt dog never ever worked with the duck before. In fact, the duck is his enemy technically. Also, again, Duck hunt never fought, he never used the cans, never worked with all those shooter guys.

I don't hate any of these characters btw, I'm just pointing out they don't really follow source material all that well.

Bandana Dee being a summoner isn't really all that bad. Besides, his entire moveset wouldn't be based on summoning, only his neutral special.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Bandana Dee is in a higher ranking member of King Dedede's army. It makes sense for him to summon characters. Plus, the helper system was a major Kirby mechanic and even debut in the same game Bandana Dee was made in.

The duck hunt dog never ever worked with the duck before. In fact, the duck is his enemy technically. Also, again, Duck hunt never fought, he never used the cans, never worked with all those shooter guys.

I don't hate any of these characters btw, I'm just pointing out they don't really follow source material all that well.

Bandana Dee being a summoner isn't really all that bad. Besides, his entire moveset wouldn't be based on summoning, only his neutral special.
I posted this earlier...

I mean, look at :4duckhunt: people said he had no moveset potential.... but when you look at what the NES Zapper games had to offer... ducks, clay pigeons, tin cans, gunmen, and even the person shooting with the NES Zapper from the fourth wall, one could come up with a crazy unique moveset.

Or :4zelda: she never fought before in the Zelda games... but from what we know of her, she is capable of light magic and she uses light arrows... and she is connected to the goddesses of the Triforce so she gets Din's Fire, Nayru's Love, and Farore's Wind even though Link was the one who used them in the game.

Or :rosalina:she never did anything in Galaxy games... but she is connected to the Lumas... and the Lumas can create launch stars (Up+B) or turn into Power Stars (Final Smash)... Galaxy games used the Wiimote to shoot Star Bits (Side+B) and if you shook the Wiimote, Mario would spin to pick up coins that were around him (Down+B)... and a second player could use a Co-Star Luma to attack enemies that were far away from Mario (Neutral B) so Rosalina becomes a puppeteer style fighter.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I posted this earlier...
My point is they don't follow source material all that well.

However, the movesets for Captain Falcon, Rosalina, and Duck Hunt make sense.

Same with Bandana Dee. Sure, he never summoned anything like how Rosalina and Luma never fought or Duck hunt working with the duck is a little out there, but as a mechanic, it makes sense because of the helper system and him being a higher status in King Dedede's army.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

Despite that, there are some situations in which a character may not have enough potential. Take Chrom, for example. He certainly had potential as a Smash fighter, but most of his potential was already utilized by two other characters already on the roster. Most people tried to work around that by making move sets based around less notable abilities Chrom has such as using lances or healing himself, which, while unique, seem out of place on Chrom. Ultimately, Sakurai found that Chrom lacked enough potential and went with Robin, who had much more overt move set potential and could better represent the Fire Emblem series as a whole than Chrom could.

So going off of what you said, I think just about any character has move set potential. However, it's also important to consider whether or not that potential overlaps with other characters, and if the move set idea in question really fits the character. At least, that's what I think.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe DHD was working with the ducks the whole time... why would he laugh at you? :awesome:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Yeah, but when you look at it generally, he is basically Dedede's lackey in most of the games he has been. And he's not mainly about summoning members, Dedede is usually the one commanding the enemy's (and Dee's) orders.

All of those characters you mentioned were characters who don't have enough moves to pull from themselves, yet have some things connected to their respective games to take a moveset from. Show me a Kirby game where Dee had a notable role that he can pull from that stays true to the Bandanna Dee and then we will talk.

And the reason I follow the source material is because Sakurai stated it in his article on how he adds characters in the next Smash Bros.
http://kotaku.com/smash-bros creato..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

My point is they don't follow source material all that well.

However, the movesets for Captain Falcon, Rosalina, and Duck Hunt make sense.

Same with Bandana Dee. Sure, he never summoned anything like how Rosalina and Luma never fought or Duck hunt working with the duck is a little out there, but as a mechanic, it makes sense because of the helper system and him being a higher status in King Dedede's army.
Well there's your problem already, Rosalina is basically the ruler of the Lumas in the Galaxy games which makes sense why she's commanding her own Luma in the game, but Bandanna Dee doesn't command the enemies to attack, Dee only follows Dedede's order to attack. That doesn't fit him really naturally

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Guys the Ice Climbers are gonna be in Duck Hunt Dog's Trailer. They were there from when they first made the trailer, and that's why they haven't shown it yet. They wanted to fix the Ice Climbers rather than making a whole new trailer.

I hope.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, if Bandanna Dee absolutely have to summon enemies... give him Dedede's old Final Smash from Brawl... just so the rest of his moveset can be all about the spear. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom