• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
We could try a little, say, thought exercise where we talk about what we like about Chrom?
@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero C'mon, do it, a little cognitive dissonance never hurt anybody!

I like how Chrom (and Lucina) really drive in Fire Emblem's strong theme of ancestry. It shows off the impressive pedigree of both the protagonists and even their holy weapon, linking this game solidly to previous well-loved entrants to the series.

Also, man, blue hair, am I right?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
We could try a little, say, thought exercise where we talk about what we like about Chrom?
@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero C'mon, do it, a little cognitive dissonance never hurt anybody!

I like how Chrom (and Lucina) really drive in Fire Emblem's strong theme of ancestry. It shows off the impressive pedigree of both the protagonists and even their holy weapon, linking this game solidly to previous well-loved entrants to the series.

I've already said what I liked about Chrom before, and I don't really feel like going over it all again.

Also Blue hair is awesome. :p

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
His supporters just aren't the loudest (could you blame them, considering the animosity most of them would receive here, for example?). Many of them feel complacent with his odds. For a great long while, Little Mac and Palutena fell in the same vote. The want was definitely notable, but the support was quieter compared to juggernaut topics such as the return of Mewtwo or the addition of Ridley and K. Rool.
Well, if that's the case, then it's one hell of a silent majority.

After E3, many characters received a surge in discussion over the whats, hows, whens, hows, and other fun happy happy sunshine moments and sad depressing CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIN moments. Though in the case of Chrom, his thread always has a habit of one or two posts coming up, then it silently dies off. For comparison, that's on par with the likes of Saki, Zoroark, and Mii. If Chrom was really a highly supported character, that wouldn't be happening.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I prefer Lucina over Chrom, as I think she could be unique.
10/10 Would play this all day every day.
-I'd like most of the newcomers on here you got the unanimous 4. Ridley Palutena, Mewtwo and K. Rool.
-You got your nice interesting uncommons such as Lucina, Krystal, and etc.
-No cuts.
I like it a lot.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I like this guy's attitude.
----------------------------------------------

Prediction Roster 2 Roster.png

I moved my roster.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I like the ancestry thing you mentioned, too. As far as other things, I like that he's able to wield lances, as they're my favorite out of the main weapon triangle. As well, I like his determination and strong sense of family values, as I can personally connect to that. That, and the whole, "screw destiny, I control my own life" thing. Plus, as much as Edna Mode would hate it, capes are cool.

Well, if that's the case, then it's one hell of a silent majority.

After E3, many characters received a surge in discussion over the whats, hows, whens, hows, and other fun happy happy sunshine moments and sad depressing CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIIN moments. Though in the case of Chrom, his thread always has a habit of one or two posts coming up, then it silently dies off. For comparison, that's on par with the likes of Saki, Zoroark, and Mii. If Chrom was really a highly supported character, that wouldn't be happening.
To be fair, the fact that a large over-arching Fire Emblem Discussion thread exists probably has something to do with it, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah I do like Chrom. Just because other people don't like him doesn't mean I can't.

However, from what I've said before, Chrom without Ike in Smash 4 = Deal Breaker for me.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

I like... Um... His charming personality?

I have no idea, I was forced to marry the bloke during the course of the game, so he's my husbando I guess. I'll give him that anyway.

I mean, I don't dislike him, there's just not much to him that's really likable, for me anyway.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
He's a decent unit at the first half of the game.
His outfit has a decent design going for him.
...Likes pie?
Likes pie made by women. Cause that's what they do. Pfft.
How did they not see the unintentional sexism?

10/10 Would play this all day every day.
-I'd like most of the newcomers on here you got the unanimous 4. Ridley Palutena, Mewtwo and K. Rool.
-You got your nice interesting uncommons such as Lucina, Krystal, and etc.
-No cuts.
I like it a lot.
Thank you for actually noticing. No roster usually goes without complaints.
I didn't add Pac or Mii because I wanted to focus on popular, established Nintendo characters.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I've already said what I liked about Chrom before, and I don't really feel like going over it all again.

Also Blue hair is awesome. :p
More than anything, it's about getting Chrom's haters to say something positive about him! I just think it's a good exercise, actually. Play a bit of the devil's advocate to yourself every now and then, fight the good fight with yourself and see where others are coming from.

@ josh bones josh bones Who's the big cat? Should it be obvious who that is? ... it's not the Sonic character, is it?
Edit: Ah, missed the "the". Big The Cat... is that even a character they use anymore?

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
One question is there a Lord in the series that can use the three main weapons (swords, lances and axes)?

.n_n.

josh bones

Smash Lord
More than anything, it's about getting Chrom's haters to say something positive about him! I just think it's a good exercise, actually. Play a bit of the devil's advocate to yourself every now and then, fight the good fight with yourself and see where others are coming from.

@ josh bones josh bones Who's the big cat? Should it be obvious who that is? ... it's not the Sonic character, is it?
Edit: Ah, missed the "the". Big The Cat... is that even a character they use anymore?
So K.Rool shouldn't get in? and everyone wants big in.:troll:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Likes pie made by women. Cause that's what they do. Pfft.
How did they not see the unintentional sexism?
Because Sumia's playing them like a fiddle.

One question is there a Lord in the series that can use the three main weapons (swords, lances and axes)?

.n_n.

Technically one does (Lief), but it's in a game where he's not the main lord. Outside of that, it's really only reclassing that gets the lords all three (and bows).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Fire Emblem? Again?

For me, the ideal would be Marth, Ike and Robin/Avatar. I believe I've stated this a lot of times already.
(Wouldn't mind Roy instead of Robin. Anyway, I feel Marth and Ike should stay.)

.n_n.
I think not.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
What else is completely accurate is Sakurai typically includes characters with the fighting style they're most associated with (should they have one), bar clones.
And Krystal is most associated with her appearance as a Star Fox Pilot.

If he intends to include Krystal, and he intends to make her unique
I see no reason for him to add Krystal, and his only plausible reason for making her unique is the sole reason that she would be excessive if she wasn't. Not a plausible reason for Sakurai to literally change his own views on what characters should share moves with others.

you think he's going to pass up on a staff-based moveset no other character would have because she didn't use it in every appearance?
Kind of like he passed up on Luigi using a poltergust for the entirety of his move set, yes. And also yes, because it's not associated with her enough for it to be every single move. One move, yes. An entire move set no.

If Sakurai feels a character is supposed to share moves with another there is really no arguing it. Considering Krystal can do literally everything Fox can and is also extremely similar to him, I see no reason for him to want to add her if it means going against his own views on what characters should do. Unlike characters like Rosalina or Ike who don't actually share the same abilities as Peach and Marth as their most associated appearance and were thus unique characters.

Krystal's most associated appearance (and the one Sakurai would use if adding her) is this:

So one (you would think) would assume Sakurai views this as a character who should share moves with Fox in the same way he feels that Luigi, Roy, Lucas or Falco should share moves with their counterparts because she can do literally every same thing unlike Ike or Rosalina (NOTE: I only bring up that example because I know somebody will be like "WELL WUT ABUT IIIIIIIKE!!!")

If that's how Sakurai feels than I would not be so optimistic that he'll unfeel this way because it's the only possible way an already unimportant character would be feasible.

When looking for original movesets
There's a limit you know. Like the point where a character's uniqueness takes away from their character. But, I reckon you're under the impression that if one thing in Smash doesn't necessarily make sense in it's own right that Sakurai has complete disregard for his views on how things should be in other areas.

Why would he just give her a moveset any of the other three could have when she has her own material to work with?
This is my absolute favorite counter argument. Because everybody uses it and each person who does seems to have complete disregard for past Smash history.

upload_2014-2-20_18-48-14.jpeg

He clearly has his own material to work with

http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/PSI Lucas already takes over PSI he doesn't use. So clearly he has so much material to work with. Ninten too, let's add him.

Post whatever confirmed excuses there are, but each one has one. And with the exception of Ganondorf, I can tell you these characters are meant to share moves with their counterparts in the same vein that Toon Link is.

Do you really mean to say if this were pre-Brawl you'd be calling the staff "irrelevant"?
No Star Fox game has come out since other than Star Fox 64 3D. So yes.

You'd be one of the only ones.
I wish I could say this without sounding arrogant. But, I'm the only one to realize a lot of things. And so are many people. Such as I am practically the only person to realize a pattern in semi-clone characters at all. But, I suppose if I was the guy who predicted Wii Fit Trainer, I'd be less credible being the only one. I don't see how being the only one makes me less credible given a majority of Smash fans convince themselves a lot of bull **** things. That's something we can all agree with.

Because it's just as relevant now to her character as it was then.
Yes. Are you implying this changes anything? Geno is just as important as he was pre-brawl. Your point?

Yes, the importance the game gave her, and the fact that several parts of the game revolved around her to a much greater extent than Assault or Command does make it a bigger role than her two following supporting ones.
Name one thing she did besides get kidnapped and gave Fox her weapon. As apposed to actually aiding Fox directly and even taking on her own independent adventure in Assault and Command which are two games more people have actually played.

You know I really don't need any more of a basis to say Krystal won't be given her staff other than that Sakurai wants most similar characters to share moves with the characters they share moves with so long as they are able to. Because I have 9 characters to base this off of, where as you have 0 characters who's move sets rely ENTIRELY on one ability or element with no association with their rebooted/modern character/franchise scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't really think that will work as intended. For instance, the only Nintendo character I outright hate is Scrappy Koopa, there is absolutely nothing positive about him to me and I can't understand how anyone else actually likes him. Most people who are against Chrom don't hate him, they just prefer someone else instead.

I moved my roster.
On a personal level, the only thing I dislike is the lack of Lip, though you have the other four characters in my sig and Snake. I also really like Midna: 9/10

On a prediction level, Midna is never going to happen, sadly. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10

Am I doing this right?

josh bones

Smash Lord
I don't really think that will work as intended. For instance, the only Nintendo character I outright hate is Scrappy Koopa, there is absolutely nothing positive about him to me and I can't understand how anyone else actually likes him. Most people who are against Chrom don't hate him, they just prefer someone else instead.

Am I doing this right?
Bowser Jr?

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Krystal being mostly associated as a Star Fox pilot, hah, what a blatant lie/opinion. :p

Out of boredom, some additional size comparisons while on top of stages...

I think Ridley should be a biiiit taller than that, Angelglory's comparison is a good example of how the sizes between said characters should work:

wjsWaNZ.png

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Except with a character like Chrom, it's easier to point out his negatives then his positives.

Like my main beef with Chrom as a character is that, despite being a leader of the Shepards, he doesn't express many responsibilities of a leader. He has a habit of making rash decisions through out the game, which doesn't get addressed, which is normally a bad sign of a leader. He also doesn't really come up with plans on his own, instead relying on Robin to think of the strategies, which I must remind you Robin was a complete stranger to the Shepards at the beginning of the game. In general he feels very static as a character, not really learning about his mistakes and using the experience to become a better leader.

Also like I mentioned, he's a good character for the first half of the game, but in the second half of the game he becomes a liability, which in traditional Lord fashion is the opposite of what normally happens. His reclass options are generally lackluster and his supports are limited, meaning that during the second half the game you're normally treating Chrom as pair up fodder.

Last edited:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
So K.Rool shouldn't get in? and everyone wants big in.:troll:
... :(

Oh, I think there are some xenoblazes people who flat out hate Chrom... but I guess that is mostly based on disliking support for him.

Am I doing this right?
I think in this thread it's actually hard to do it "wrong". I don't really know what people's ratings are based off of.

I'm lovin' the Ridley size comparisons. A lot of the time they look too big or too small. I like seeing him with his wings folded up, too.

@ FlareHabanero FlareHabanero
I feel like in Japanese media boldness/brashness is the primary sign of a good leader, even if it isn't realistic. "I've got the willpower, I can't be defeated! ... SPIN ON!"

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
On a personal level, the only thing I dislike is the lack of Lip, though you have the other four characters in my sig and Snake. I also really like Midna: 9/10
On a prediction level, Midna is never going to happen, sadly. Overall, I'd give it a 7/10
Am I doing this right?
Not necessarily. They're still using the TP artstyle, she still has some popularity, and she's really, really unique, which is something Sakurai is huge on this time. It could happen. I would say she's on par with Ghirahim.

You're roster has Dixie, K Rool, Midna, Ridley, Palutena, Takamaru, Mewtwo, Lucina, Krystal, and Shulk.
That's too many awesome characters. It needs some lame characters. ;)

Lame Prediction Roster Roster.png

Here you go. A probable roster with all the good newcomers replaced with lame ones.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Bowser Jr?
Yes, what about him?
Krystal being mostly associated as a Star Fox pilot, hah, what a blatant lie/opinion. :p
I think he's just a really damn clever troll. Or just incredibly arrogant and biased. Probably both.
I think Ridley should be a biiiit taller than that, Angelglory's comparison is a good example of how the sizes between said characters should work:
Speaking of heights, I'd hope Ganondorf gets a bit taller this time, he did get taller in Brawl... I know him being his actual height wouldn't work, but seeing him not tower over Link is just a bit... odd to me. Though of course, I wouldn't give any ****s if he'd just get his own moveset finally.

Last edited:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Because Sumia's playing them like a fiddle.

Technically one does (Lief), but it's in a game where he's not the main lord. Outside of that, it's really only reclassing that gets the lords all three (and bows).
Other question, isn´t Lief was considered to be included in Melee but instead we did get Roy (I don´t remember where I read this).
.n_n.

andimidna

Smash Master
And Krystal is most associated with her appearance as a Star Fox Pilot.

I see no reason for him to add Krystal, and his only plausible reason for making her unique is the sole reason that she would be excessive if she wasn't. Not a plausible reason for Sakurai to literally change his own views on what characters should share moves with others.

Kind of like he passed up on Luigi using a poltergust for the entirety of his move set, yes. And also yes, because it's not associated with her enough for it to be every single move. One move, yes. An entire move set no.

If Sakurai feels a character is supposed to share moves with another there is really no arguing it. Considering Krystal can do literally everything Fox can and is also extremely similar to him, I see no reason for him to want to add her if it means going against his own views on what characters should do. Unlike characters like Rosalina or Ike who don't actually share the same abilities as Peach and Marth as their most associated appearance and were thus unique characters.

Krystal's most associated appearance (and the one Sakurai would use if adding her) is this:

So one (you would think) would assume Sakurai views this as a character who should share moves with Fox in the same way he feels that Luigi, Roy, Lucas or Falco should share moves with their counterparts because she can do literally every same thing unlike Ike or Rosalina (NOTE: I only bring up that example because I know somebody will be like "WELL WUT ABUT IIIIIIIKE!!!")

If that's how Sakurai feels than I would not be so optimistic that he'll unfeel this way because it's the only possible way an already unimportant character would be feasible.

There's a limit you know. Like the point where a character's uniqueness takes away from their character. But, I reckon you're under the impression that if one thing in Smash doesn't necessarily make sense in it's own right that Sakurai has complete disregard for his views on how things should be in other areas.

This is my absolute favorite counter argument. Because everybody uses it and each person who does seems to have complete disregard for past Smash history.

View attachment 8907

http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/PSI Lucas already takes over PSI he doesn't use. So clearly he has so much material to work with. Ninten too, let's add him.

Post whatever confirmed excuses there are, but each one has one. And with the exception of Ganondorf, I can tell you these characters are meant to share moves with their counterparts in the same vein that Toon Link is.

No Star Fox game has come out since other than Star Fox 64 3D. So yes.

I wish I could say this without sounding arrogant. But, I'm the only one to realize a lot of things. And so are many people. Such as I am practically the only person to realize a pattern in semi-clone characters at all. But, I suppose if I was the guy who predicted Wii Fit Trainer, I'd be less credible being the only one. I don't see how being the only one makes me less credible given a majority of Smash fans convince themselves a lot of bull **** things. That's something we can all agree with.

Yes. Are you implying this changes anything? Geno is just as important as he was pre-brawl. Your point?

Name one thing she did besides get kidnapped and gave Fox her weapon. As apposed to actually aiding Fox directly and even taking on her own independent adventure in Assault and Command which are two games more people have actually played.

You know I really don't need any more of a basis to say Krystal won't be given her staff other than that Sakurai wants most similar characters to share moves with the characters they share moves with so long as they are able to. Because I have 9 characters to base this off of, where as you have 0 characters who's move sets rely ENTIRELY on one ability or element with no association with their rebooted/modern character/franchise scheme.
Sure, there are characters that don't use their iconic moves, but guess what there is more of:
character that DO use their most iconic moves

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
And now for something completely different...

I basically took the design I had made for Mother Brain and gave it a concept drawing. It operates using a Mobile command base that is fully equipped with tendrils, turrets, and other tourian technology.

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'm more surprised Saturn still thinks that Sakurai wouldn't use the staff for her moveset, the source material is there, why wouldn't he go for it at this point?
Because I use intelligence and actual evidence to justify why I think this

http://earthbound.wikia.com/wiki/PSI
Why does Lucas not have any of those PSI abilities? The source material is there, why wouldn't he go for it at this point.

Plus with the newcomers shown it's clear that he is focusing on making them stand out from the rest. So if Krystal does end up being playable, you can bet Sakurai is going to use that staff to it's fullest.
Remember how much these characters stood out from the rest?: :snake::zerosuitsamus::pt::metaknight:

And then Lucas still ended up a semi-clone instead of the great amount of PSI source material.

There's no reason to be surprised that I still think this. I'm actually using evidence to support it.

Sure, there are characters that don't use their iconic moves, but guess what there is more of:
character that DO use their most iconic moves
You're forgetting that they are Iconic and relevant/associated with the modern character scheme. And the ones that aren't relevant, but still iconic don't go past one move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
I kind of wish that had happened, as Leif is a recurring character as opposed to Roy.
I heard that ph1r3 got Roy instead of him though.
Well then my vote is for Leif if is true that he can use the three main type of weapons, he could bring a lot to the table with great moveset potential and type of fighting switching between axes, swords and lances.
.n_n.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Yeah, I definitely associate Krystal more with the Starfox Adventures character than her appearances afterwards. It was her entry into the series, and I don't see why she would get associated with the things that make her the same as other SF characters instead of what makes her different.

Are you implying big isn't the most wanted character and not too big dragon or irralevent krockodile?
...:(
The cat's toooo Biggggg. Haha, he's actually really freaky looking. I would have never guessed that he was a cat.
And, as always, I refuse to acknowledge Sonic side characters until they add a pangolin.

La la laaaa why the frig won't Sonic let me in, I'm like the only creature in the world that actually moves around by rolling, laaaaaaa.

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
Yes, what about him?

I think he's just a really damn clever troll. Or just incredibly arrogant and biased. Probably both.
Speaking of heights, I'd hope Ganondorf gets a bit taller this time, he did get taller in Brawl... I know him being his actual height wouldn't work, but seeing him not tower over Link is just a bit... odd to me. Though of course, I wouldn't give any ****s if he'd just get his own moveset finally.
Actually, when we take a look at his comparison to Samus, Ganondorf being 7'6" and Samus being 6'3", it's not really that far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom